PDA

View Full Version : Hiding from trick or treaters

kimsophia
October 31st, 2015, 07:47 PM
Who else is turning off the lights and not answering the door? lol I used to love to pass out candy until one little girl WAILED about our candy..."but I don't LIKE Skittles" (heck, I don't like Skittles either, that's why I bought them, so I wouldn't eat them beforehand!) But she seemed unsatisfied with my helpful, "Well, maybe at the end of the night, you can trade them with your friends for something else..." We've been hiding in the dark every Halloween since! :/ I will say that little ones don't go short because my neighbor LOVES Halloween and devotes her entire yard to it and mechanical life-sized witches, a little zombie girl on a swing, etc. and she give out Halloween GIFT BAGS... :D

Altairss
October 31st, 2015, 07:52 PM
I love it when they come but where I now live we get no one. I don't take little kids personally we all know the weirdest things come out of their months. Any many are just over tired and stressed out from the big day lol

jjkaiser
October 31st, 2015, 07:53 PM
No I am not hiding. Every Halloween I remember back when my kids were little, I took them TT in the neighborhood and left a giant bowl of candy with a note help yourself but leave some for others. I was so upset when we got home. Someone took all the candy, ok whatever, but someone stole my bowl too!! It was my biggest and best Tupperware bowl and I still can't get over my stupidity for leaving it on the porch that day!!! I think I am still mad about it 20 yrs later!

kensington
October 31st, 2015, 08:06 PM
Not hiding... We don't get any. We have had maybe 2 in the 12 years since we moved here. Out in the country at the end of a gravel rd.

I have candy, I'll give it to my grandkids tonight when they get home from Trick or Treating in town.

Eliza
October 31st, 2015, 08:07 PM
Yep. :D Closed the blinds and didn't answer the doorbell! Call me grumpy, but here in Australia, Halloween has only been "thing" in recent years and I would never have taken/sent my children out begging for lollies door-to-door. If people want to have a Halloween party, OK, just not the trick or treating.

pharris123
October 31st, 2015, 08:12 PM
For some odd reason I've never gotten trick-or-treaters here inside the cemetery. Go figure.

kimsophia
October 31st, 2015, 08:15 PM
For some odd reason I've never gotten trick-or-treaters here inside the cemetery. Go figure.

Wait...how do you live in a cemetery? :)

Eliza
October 31st, 2015, 08:15 PM

:icon_heh:

Pandabear
October 31st, 2015, 08:22 PM
Not hiding. My sister-in-law has come over since she LOVES giving out the candy. So far we've had a grand total of two trick or treaters.

So, we are going to play catch up on tv shows and hand out candy if we get any more children.

kaydee
October 31st, 2015, 08:37 PM
I hid out last year b/c we were having a lot of work done inside and outside the house, and I didn't want the kids in the yard. I sat alone in the dark all night feeling guilty!

We used to get 150-200 kids on Halloween. Tonight we've only had 10 so far. The neighborhood has grown up!

My kids still talk about the fact that their favorite part of the night was coming home to our house with their friends, sorting their candy, then trading amongst themselves. The trading went on for a long time. I remember it fondly as well.

I always tell people (especially had to remind my mother and sister) that kids are a "work in progress" and aren't expected to know how to react or what to say in every situation. That's why they're kids. They're learning. Back then my sister didn't have children. Now mine are grown and she has a 7 year old, and sure enough that little girl ISN'T perfect! My sister gets horrified every time she says or does something inappropriate, and I have to remind her we're here to teach them!

So, I think your response to the little girl and the Skittles was perfect. This year, I bet she doesn't give a second thought to what she gets -- she probably planning the trade for later on.

Juliet Taylor
October 31st, 2015, 08:40 PM

Would have been a great challenge for bravery by the way :D

Sharyn J
October 31st, 2015, 09:15 PM
It's been raining & nasty all day. Not a single kid to be seen. I haven't seen many the last several years Our park district, police dept. and the schools all have special trick-or-treat parties and I think the parents like them too. They are indoors and supervised so no nut balls are around, just fun for the kids.

Carlie Wolf
October 31st, 2015, 09:21 PM
I'm a hider. Carlie grandly announces anyone who comes to the door and if kids start coming one after another I'd go nuts. Well more nuts then I already am.

The lights are turned off downstairs and I just have a light in my office upstairs on. NO I'm not walking down the stairs to answer the door. I don't decorate for Halloween as I don't like to encourage the kids to come to the door. Yes I suppose I'm a Halloween grouch :-)

ozziepuppy
October 31st, 2015, 09:27 PM
We have candy for those who show up, but I did not decorate this year and I am not the one handing out the candy. Not sure whether that makes me a grump or not! We get very few anyway-probably fewer than 20.

kimsophia
October 31st, 2015, 09:43 PM
Wow. I have been peeking out and neighbor Lorraine's house with all the decorations is now the only one participating...which is probably why I don't hear many excited kids' voices outside. I did hear a shriek from someone who could have been surprised by one of her motion sensor activated devices... heh heh heh It's cold and wet out, so a good night to go to indoor trick or treating at the mall!

pharris123
October 31st, 2015, 10:02 PM
Wait...how do you live in a cemetery? :)

Very carefully. ba-dum-CHEE!

I work here, in a cemetery, I am the secretary, and the office is in a little cottage that I get to live in. It's very quiet here.

pharris123
October 31st, 2015, 10:07 PM
My mom used to give out pixie sticks, nerds, and lik-em-aide to "get back at all the horrible parents who gave those terribly messy candies to my children when they were little."

JJ - I don't think it's obsessing to still be upset over losing a great bowl for 20 years, especially since it was stolen by children for goodness sake. Do you still have the lid? Now THAT would be obsessive.

Vonnie
October 31st, 2015, 10:11 PM
LOL - first time we have had a kid storm off! DH said he looked to be about 5 years old. "I WANTED CANDY!"

I do not buy candy anymore because we have way too much left over! So I buy what DH and youngest son like in their lunches. Cheesits, Chex Mix and Peanuts. And they are not the tiny bags either! I have even had mothers telling me Thank You! To tell the truth, DH is handing it out and the Chex Mix has not made it into the treat bowl! That's his favorite. When DS2 hands it out, somehow the Cheesits don't make it into the treat bowl! I'm not sure boys ever grow up.

Angelia
October 31st, 2015, 10:21 PM
Hider here, too! I thought I was the only one. :)

JCY
October 31st, 2015, 10:23 PM
We've kept our porch light off for several years. It's been quiet. DH & I watched Lawrence Welk, which was a Halloween show from 1975. The singers were dressed up in costumes. It was a very nice show. In my younger days, I handed out candy. One year I even dressed up as Superman & wore a cape, etc. Our neighbors decorate their house & yard in a big way. I think the Halloween decorations are 2nd to Christmas these days.

MRoy
October 31st, 2015, 10:49 PM
We haven't had any spooks for the past couple of years so I quit turning on the porch light. The town and churches have trunk or treat and the kids can get a big haul there in a short time. It's great for kids and their parents.

jjkaiser
October 31st, 2015, 10:50 PM
My mom used to give out pixie sticks, nerds, and lik-em-aide to "get back at all the horrible parents who gave those terribly messy candies to my children when they were little."

JJ - I don't think it's obsessing to still be upset over losing a great bowl for 20 years, especially since it was stolen by children for goodness sake. Do you still have the lid? Now THAT would be obsessive.

Well actually I did keep the lid, it fit my pie taker. I also replaced the big bowl a few yrs later so don't feel too sorry for me. I have moved on! And I think it's cool you live in a cemetery but I totally see why you don't get any trick or treaters!

kimsophia
October 31st, 2015, 11:05 PM
I have a feeling that I know that big Tupperware bowl with lid as my Aunt Norma used it to raise bread dough... :)

I'm watching the Craftsy Crazy Quilting class and feeling flat out sick with envy at this teacher's fantastic work and threads and lace and fabric and LIFE... :D

Allie's in Stitches: Projects: Spring CQ (http://alliesinstitches.blogspot.com/search/label/Projects%3A%20Spring%20CQ)

bakermom
November 1st, 2015, 12:07 AM
oh,no I love Halloween! DH and I sit out front and hand out treats! We love seeing the little kids(big ones too) If you show up in a costume at my door, you get candy. we have a blast!

BellasQuilts
November 1st, 2015, 12:08 AM
Not hiding. We get so few - just the couple of kids who live in the neighborhood. Took the grands (mom was sick) to the local Halloween street party. All the stores are open (1 block only - well the town is only 1 block long so it's the whole town pretty much). They had bounce houses and when the kids got out they got a treat. Very nice with music, pony rides, kid size cars, etc. Went from 4-6 pm only and let them run their little legs off so they sleep tonight and mom can sleep. DGS was very polite - took one candy and said thank you. Parents are teaching him well. Baby had fun just walking around since this is new to her at one year old. One little bounce house was empty so I put them both in together. DGG loved it! Took em home tired and hungry! Happy Halloween everyone!

Ginny B
November 1st, 2015, 12:25 AM
No, we didn't hide. We didn't have a ton of kids but enough that a lot of the candy we bought went out the door. I love seeing the littlest kids in their costumes and there was even a group of girls who dressed up in a "Pacman" theme -- one of them was the game and the others were little pacmen (pac woman?) Anyway, we enjoyed it. Not sure Myrtle (our cat) knew what to make of it. This is her first Halloween with us and I don't know what her experience has been before. She just kept looking at me like "Why does that bell keep ringing and those creatures keep coming to the door?"

Quiltfreestyle
November 1st, 2015, 12:44 AM
My DH loves Halloween we normally decorate the whole yard, scary things hanging, creepy music & smoke machines. At least a dozen pumpkins carved & a giant one my DH takes care. We did this every year & our boys loved it. We also give out full size candy bars cuz it makes us feel like we are rich. LOL
Sadly this year my DH has been too sick & im not up to doing all the decorating by myself. We just got a couple of pumpkins but we did get the big candy bars. Not as many kids this year as usual.. Guess they are going to the trunk or trick events at all the local churches..

Cathy F
November 1st, 2015, 01:00 AM
We didn't get many trick or treaters, maybe 16. I really enjoy seeing the little ones coming to the door and they were all so polite and said thank you. We gave out chocolate and Wendy's Halloween coupons for free frostys which they always seem to like.

TMP
November 1st, 2015, 06:21 AM
I went to my DD house and we took the grandbabies with umbrellas out in the pouring rain. This lasted about half an hour and we were all soaked but they had a ball. I came home and it was raining so hard you could barely see to drive. We usually have tons of kids but at 7 there was no one out. So, I did keep the lights off the rest of the night.

Monique
November 1st, 2015, 07:45 AM
Hubby and I both enjoy giving out candies. We had about 20 here last night.

kimsophia
November 1st, 2015, 07:47 AM
When does the candy go on sale? :)

Suzette
November 1st, 2015, 08:45 AM
We have so many fun, safe community events on Halloween around here that we get very few trick or treaters in our neighborhood anymore. So this year we skipped buying the candy and kept the lights off as did most folks in my neighborhood. I know the kids had plenty of fun things to do and lots of candy to be had, so I had no qualms about it. And my house was much quieter since my dog wasn't barking with every ring of the bell. :icon_bigsmile:

MayinJerset
November 1st, 2015, 10:20 AM
Seemed to be more kids this year maybe because it was Saturday and they began TTing around noontime instead of later in the afternoon after school. I don't decorate for Halloween any longer, wreath of leaves on our front door and a few pots of mums does it until Christmas time.

RockinLou
November 1st, 2015, 01:44 PM
LOL - first time we have had a kid storm off! DH said he looked to be about 5 years old. "I WANTED CANDY!"

I do not buy candy anymore because we have way too much left over! So I buy what DH and youngest son like in their lunches. Cheesits, Chex Mix and Peanuts. And they are not the tiny bags either! I have even had mothers telling me Thank You! To tell the truth, DH is handing it out and the Chex Mix has not made it into the treat bowl! That's his favorite. When DS2 hands it out, somehow the Cheesits don't make it into the treat bowl! I'm not sure boys ever grow up.

I would eat all the Cheeze-Itz right this very minute if I could!!!

sewnseams
November 1st, 2015, 01:51 PM
We only have the neighborhood kids-3 now, used to be 5. We actually plan for them as we all usually make up special bags for each child. Last year we had a 4th and unexpected TT, a grandchild of one of the newer families. Lol, some of the neighbors had to sneak out the back door to the next door neighbors to get something to give her.

I remember when I was a child and loved TT, so I enjoy doing it now for the kids.

kimsophia
November 1st, 2015, 01:55 PM
We used to have bigger crowds but the neighborhood kids have grown up. One year it was funny, a little girl said to me so soberly as I put candy in her bag, "I LOVE your landscaping." lol I was pretty pleased at the thought and impressed that she even knew the word landscaping at her age! :)

mommadeb
November 1st, 2015, 03:50 PM
One year I had two cases of sample sized Colgate toothpaste. Probably about 60 tubes. Guess what I handed out that year? Not candy....:D

buckeyequilter
November 1st, 2015, 06:50 PM
No hiding here....we sit outside, have a fire going and hand out candy. We always give out full size bars so the locals all know to bring their kids/grands back here. The kids get to choose their own so if they're not happy with it, it's their own fault.

I think the funniest thing this year was...a daddy pushing a little one in a stroller and told the mom to get the little one a snickers bar because the kid loves peanuts. They left and I told Jim....my kids didn't even know what a peanut was at that age and I sure wasn't letting them eat them.

Vonnie
November 1st, 2015, 07:06 PM
No hiding here....we sit outside, have a fire going and hand out candy. We always give out full size bars so the locals all know to bring their kids/grands back here. The kids get to choose their own so if they're not happy with it, it's their own fault.

I think the funniest thing this year was...a daddy pushing a little one in a stroller and told the mom to get the little one a snickers bar because the kid loves peanuts. They left and I told Jim....my kids didn't even know what a peanut was at that age and I sure wasn't letting them eat them.

How much you want to bet that it was the Dad who wanted the snickers bar! Makes me think of the cell phone commercial where the Dad is saying all the things his kid needed for his cell phone and the Mom walks up with the baby boy!

I also remember my Mom giving us pillowcases and taking us to the rich neighborhoods so we could get a really big haul. Then Mom and Dad would go through the candy making sure it was safe and, of course, taking their cut!

asta
November 1st, 2015, 07:13 PM
Found a great way to avoid the treaters....went on a three day quilting retreat at Primitive Gatherings in Menasha!

SewnByBee
November 1st, 2015, 08:16 PM
Me too.

I'm not big on people in COSTUMES knocking on my door.

Besides I'm sitting of the road a bit (600 ft), I know there bting ikids ,I'll treat, then turn off my lights.
You just don't know these days who'll be at the door !!!
Out here for sure.

We always done the trunk or treat at the church with the kids. Or go to a friends house to hange out.

dwil23
November 1st, 2015, 10:03 PM
My house sits back and has a dirt drive to the back of the house - which is actually the "front" (entrance) of the house. Not a good setup for TT'ers and since the houses sit farther apart, I don't think any actually come to this neighborhood. We had candy last year (first year in the house) and no one came, so this year, I slept through it.

Grandma Nan
November 1st, 2015, 10:10 PM
I definitely did not hid from the trick or treaters. I think the little ones are so cute and can't wait to give out treats. I usually do a bit of a dress up to greet them at the door. So far, I haven't scared anyone away. Our numbers were down last night though, we had about 30 and we usually have 50 or 60. Oh well, I always buy treats that we like so no stress if it doesn't go.

Navy Wife
November 2nd, 2015, 12:24 AM
We have hidden for the past few years. The last year we gave out candy I had more than 300, and decided that was too big an expense. We live in a big subdivision at the edge of town. All the county kids come here as it's the first good place to TT. We have had the police out directing traffic along with patrolling. The churches near by had trunk and treat and then a hayride to our neighborhood to get more candy!
I miss seeing the little ones, but I can always go to either of our sons and help give out treats!