PDA

View Full Version : I just don't understand

Deegles
October 31st, 2015, 10:10 AM
There are of questions posed on this forum. You have so much valuable information right at your fingertips with the invent of the internet. Why do people ask questions here instead of posing the question and researching it on the internet? I enjoy helping people out on here. I have spent the last morning trying to find the right information to give to a relatively new quilter about pinning and matching seams and showing a sewing machine adjustment to help. Why do people not seek the free information out in internet land? I have done so much research helping others that maybe I should take that info and compile a book. Do any of you become a little big negative to the same ole questions asked over and over here? Or do you just ignore the question? Is it just me or do people seem lazy?

quiltingtrish
October 31st, 2015, 10:20 AM
I usually come back and see what the answers are. Sometimes I put my two cents in. I don't normally reply to most of them because for most of them I just want to say 'why don't you google that?' Or even Pinterest. I also don't know how to do the attachment thing - I am lucky if I can get my photos to post these days and I really don't have the time to type out lengthy replies, I'd much rather catch up on the forum or go get some quilting done myself.
I think it's a quick way for them to say - here is my problem and you figure it out. On the other hand, I learn a lot from all the replies that you all give too.

Granny Judy
October 31st, 2015, 10:38 AM
If I may interject my thoughts on your question.. Not everyone is able to google and find the answers to questions. I've been so frustrated with googling something because it kept giving me more links to another page of just "links". I finally gave up and asked my DD to find the answer.

It takes a lot of time to search.. and time is something that many of us don't have. This Forum is available where we CAN ask our questions It is why I joined.. I got my questions answered, plus. Many posted links to where great information can be found.

Even after 10 years of having a computer, I still have trouble searching and surfing. I guess I'm not using the right word/s for this machine.

shirleyknot
October 31st, 2015, 10:39 AM
Why do it yourself if you can get someone else to do it for you?

Sylvia H
October 31st, 2015, 10:47 AM
I think it is because they trust information coming directly from a quilter more than the information on the internet. This can backfire though, because in addition to our knowledge, we may also have some ideas that are not based in fact. Although it is not mentioned here, I was told, when I first started quilting, that I should only use cotton thread. Then I discovered Leah Day (on the internet) and all the lovely work she has done with Isacord polyester thread! Heck, even at a quilting store, when, as I new quilter, I asked about the Isacord thread they had on display, I was told it was for embroidery. This was from a young clerk, but she obviously didn't have the experience to know that it could also be used for quilting.

A new quilter might be overwhelmed with some of the information on the internet. I recently did some research on trapunto quilting. I remembered what I was taught, but I wanted to refresh my memory and make sure I didn't forget something. This search led me to learning different methods for the same result. I can see a new quilter wondering if one method was better than the others.

I don't mind the same question being asked over and over again. But that could be because of my background as an educator. And, I am sure, some may be a bit lazy. :icon_rolleyes:

If I have experience about a question being posted, then I will reply. If I have the time, I might do some research, but other times I will ignore the question, as I have no information to provide. I like to recommend the Craftsy free course, "Piece, Patch, Quilt: Basic Quiltmaking Skills." Some of our members will advise the poster to do an internet search. For those that I ignore, I like to go back to them after there have been replies, as then I am learning also. I enjoy learning on the internet - a great deal easier than paging through books!

Hulamoon
October 31st, 2015, 10:54 AM
I don't mind helping. I see two things, they want to become part of a community and some may be at a loss of key words to do a search. Also some off us have seen so many tutorials we can find it faster.

kimsophia
October 31st, 2015, 11:26 AM
I do try to do a search here in the forum to see if the question I have has been addressed here already...I dunno, maybe we need a FAQ here or somethin'...

ldnanny3
October 31st, 2015, 11:38 AM
I think you have hit the nail on the head with your reply !!!!!! Because some are just lazy. :)

pcbatiks
October 31st, 2015, 11:49 AM
I don't mind helping. I see two things, they want to become part of a community and some may be at a loss of key words to do a search. Also some off us have seen so many tutorials we can find it faster.

I agree with Lorie. I don't mind helping. We all joined to be part of a quilting community....to get and give help & share with forum friends. If I can & have time, I try to help. We are not required to help but if we can & have the time....that is great. It always makes me smile when someone is in search of quilting info or a link.......and someone else can come to the rescue & help them find the just the right thing. There are lots of times when I would be of no help but I try to check back later to read the replies.

Recently I was searching for a particular quilt picture that I've seen several times online. I couldn't find it but posted a description. Within minutes several forum friends posted pictures of what I described. I didn't realize I was describing Bento Box. I still haven't found the pictures I had seen before but at least I could look up the pattern because of forum friends help. That's one of the reasons I like this forum.

Hulamoon
October 31st, 2015, 11:52 AM
I think you have hit the nail on the head with your reply !!!!!! Because some are just lazy. :)

Well if you feel that way, don't offer help. There is a choice.

Carlie Wolf
October 31st, 2015, 12:13 PM
I think we get reallly good answers here and yes people are very free to share their info. I know from times I've researched things that sometimes you can spend a half to whole day searching on the net for an answer to something and have to go through hundreds (or it seems) of tutorials before you get the answer in a way you understand. Sometimes the info is not the best or the graphics are crummy and just don't fit with the explanation. So I suspect that the answers that are given here just work better for some people. What I like myself is that often the answer is to direct us to some of the better tutorials and that sure does save a lot of time.

I don't feel required to reply to questions if I'm not up to it but do try where I can. I've spent a few years lately getting rid of the "guilt" thing in situations where it just not really necessary LOL

AnnieF
October 31st, 2015, 12:14 PM
This is the internet too. I'm a researcher myself, but I consider this forum to be a resource every bit as much as something I would find through Google, and quite a bit more valuable in many cases as the responses come from "real people" who actually have experience in the subject at hand, and not just a manufacturer trying to sell something.

dwil23
October 31st, 2015, 12:16 PM
It is my understanding that the forum is a place to share our knowledge as well as learn from others. When most questions are posed, you get a wide variety of answers. Different experiences, different abilities, different opinions. I enjoy reading what others are thinking and have learned a lot that way.

That being said, I was just thinking the other day that maybe the forum needs a "FAQ" section for the most "frequently asked questions" ;) and links previous threads pertaining to them could be pinned to the top. Subjects that are often discussed are irons, to wash or not to wash, how to store stash, etc.

I agree with others that if you don't feel like answering a question, you are not obligated to. Sometimes I have a few minutes to type an answer, sometimes I don't. I hope "newbies" will continue to come here and get the help they need, just like we did when we were the newbies.

RockinLou
October 31st, 2015, 12:24 PM
I ask a lot of questions on the forum when I am considering trying a new skill, and I trust here that there will be some advice coming from quilters with far more experience than I have.

For example, a few weeks ago, maybe a month or more now, I asked a question about machine applique. Within an hour there was a response with a link to a Ricky Tims video that was exactly the method I used and the result was wonderful for my project. It saved me hours and hours of time in which I might have viewed dozens of tutorials and read about a handful of different methods and then debated what to do next. However, as it was a well known and trusted forum member, I was able to dive right into the project and have great results.

I live a few thousand miles away from the group of women I used to sit and sew with every month. There was a time when I would have saved my questions for them. Now I have the MSQC Forum, and I am so grateful for that!!

RiverMomm
October 31st, 2015, 12:51 PM
Yes, a lot of the answers to most of the questions in this forum can be easily found on the internet. People who have been on computers for years tend to expect everyone to know how it works. Just like some quilters expect everyone to know that seams are 1/4 inch and nested, press-not iron, cleaning the bobbin area, etc. Guess what?!- a heck of a lot of folks out there just don't know how to search or use their computer. Someone plopped a computer in front of them and said "Here ya go, the internet is your oyster, go for it!" OR they were given a tablet. I seriously HATED my first generation ipad years ago. What a learning curve for a non-Apple computer user. Copy and paste? No big deal unless, of course, you are on a tablet. I try to post links whenever I can because a lot of people just don't know how to search. Or they don't know how to get to links. It only takes me a minute and it is easy for me.

"To find a word or phrase on a webpage in Internet Explorer 7. Press Ctrl+F to open the Find dialog box. Type a word or phrase in the Find box, and then press Enter to locate the first match on the page. To filter the matches, select or clear the Match whole word only or Match case check boxes." Good grief, if someone didn't know much about computers, reading how to search for things on the internet can give you a headache!

https://www.google.ca/search?q=how+to+search+on+the+internet&rlz=1C1CAFA_enCA632CA632&oq=how+to+search+on+the+in&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.89062j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=0&ie=UTF-8

I have learned quite a bit from repeat questions. There have been "ah ha" moments after doing something over and over. "Feeling" a seam nest didn't happen overnight with me. I thought I sort of knew until one day, I felt it. How easy was that? Just nest them. Well, it took me months and reading the same advice over and over to repeated questions in the forum. I am not sure what made the difference in my brain but something someone wrote one day just clicked. "How to" information online didn't help, it was one of our forum members answering an oft repeated question that helped.

So, here is my answer to your forum question: if you are feeling negative about replying to repeat questions, just don't reply to the question. No need to let innocent or repeat questions ruin your mood. Or eat chocolate. Chocolate helps everything.

shirleyknot
October 31st, 2015, 12:56 PM
I don't mind helping people. I do mind that often some mis-information is posted as well, and since it appears easier..................well you know how that goes. Even the ones who posted correct info get the flak carryover. People don't understand that what is posted may not be what they needed.

Midge
October 31st, 2015, 01:21 PM
I joined this forum because it seemed like an open and inclusive place where a newbie *me* could absorb other people's expertise. I sure hope it stays that way, because interest in quilting is growing and as soon as you start working on a quilting project you begin to realize there is a whole lot you don't know. I confess there are times I've sighed as I see the same question asked repeatedly. I've even suggested to posters at times that they make use of the search box on the forum. Never once been thanked for that suggestion, either. So I get where people are coming from. But.

People have very different learning styles. I hope we can all support and respect individual differences in learning. It sounds like it's a sticking point for some of us. That's too bad, because it's not in the spirit of that little phrase at the upper right of the forum screen.

Some people like me thrive on researching something to death in every book, every video and every blog. Others hate that or never learned how to research effectively. Some people need someone to support them every step of the way in a new endeavor. Others want to explore a craft in their own way. That's OK because that's how people are. Different from one another, that is. Some people have very limited free time and want to make the most efficient use of it, getting the answers they seek quickly. I don't blame them. There was a period of my life when, as a very busy professional I basically gave up my hobbies because there just was no time for them. Yet I missed them and I'm so happy now to have that time. I want to support newcomers with limited time to bliss out on quilting and sewing as I do even though they might have kids to care for and a 60 hour a week position. Can you find it in your heart to do that? If not, scroll past the newbie questions and let someone else respond.

The internet is changing the world and how people relate to one another. Belonging and participating here is part of that change. I think we all have something to offer here. So do the newbies. If nothing else they offer us a mirror to view ourselves.

laura44
October 31st, 2015, 02:02 PM
Repeat questions don't bother me at all. Very easy to scroll past them
if I want to. This forum is a social AND informative forum. I think there
is no difference between doing a search on Goggle, and asking on this forum,
other than you receive a personal response. Can you search on this forum?
Yes, but sometimes the key words give you a 10 page response to wander thru.
In the past I have enjoyed searching the web for a pattern or fabric to help
someone. We were all newbies once, takes awhile to catch on.

quiltsRfun
October 31st, 2015, 02:30 PM
I don't mind helping and will offer suggestions if I'm familiar with the subject. I don't reply to every question asked. If it's a subject I'm not familiar with I might subscribe to a thread and come back to see what others have offered. There are many times when someone else's question has helped me. If the time spent researching for others is bothering you, don't do it. I wouldn't want anyone to be afraid of asking a "dumb" question.

RiverMomm
October 31st, 2015, 02:32 PM
"Can you search on this forum?
Yes, but sometimes the key words give you a 10 page response to wander thru." Laura44

Here is where I admit that searching this forum isn't always easy for me. I will do a search and then will need to narrow it down. Even after narrowing my search words, a lot of "hits"aren't what I need. I find it easier and less frustrating just to ask.

And then are those days when I just seem to be in a brain fog. I know I should know the answer (usually math) but some reason, it just isn't coming to me. Forum math wizards to the rescue!

quiltsRfun
October 31st, 2015, 03:57 PM
And then are those days when I just seem to be in a brain fog. I know I should know the answer (usually math) but some reason, it just isn't coming to me. Forum math wizards to the rescue!
Right. On days like that you need to ask a friend for help.

GuitarGramma
October 31st, 2015, 04:16 PM
This is the internet too. I'm a researcher myself, but I consider this forum to be a resource every bit as much as something I would find through Google, and quite a bit more valuable in many cases as the responses come from "real people" who actually have experience in the subject at hand, and not just a manufacturer trying to sell something.

AMEN to that!

kensington
October 31st, 2015, 04:26 PM
There are experienced people here that you can have a conversation with in a question thread. Many of the questions are from new people who found these forums after finding Jenny's tutorials and they want to learn more.

If you see a question you have seen before, all you have to do is to keep going or to post a link to another discussion on the topic to help someone find what they need.

Here.... there are people. People who may have hands on experience in what someone is needing.

jjkaiser
October 31st, 2015, 05:02 PM
Sorry you feel burned out answering questions, but I guess you can blame people like me for asking them. Yes sometimes I Google the internet for answers, but I find so often the answers I get from all of you are:
1. More direct
2. Easier to comprehend
3. Multiple answers and suggestions
4. Wonderful shortcuts
5. Encouragement when I'm discouraged
So for all these reasons I reach out to you who have become friends, so again, I apologize for "bothering" people with questions, but everyone here is not at an advanced level of expertise. And thank you everybody who has come to my aid in the past. I for one really appreciate the time you take in trying to help me.

Pandabear
October 31st, 2015, 05:15 PM
I do research my questions but I must say asking here... I get the benefit of many opinions, tips and tricks. And not all info out there in Google-land is accurate. I'd rather ask, and trust, more experienced quilters.

LizTheScot
October 31st, 2015, 06:09 PM
I'm with Rivermomm - chocolate helps everything :D

Google can be overwhelming because you have so many responses to look at - and if you're new to quilting, how do you know where to start? Also, Google responses are based on the key words we use to search - I can't ask Google about the little whatchamacalit that sits next to the spool thingy on top of my machine. Well, I can, but the responses aren't terribly informative. I've found that when I'm new to something, it's easier to filter through pages of Google AFTER I have some idea what the answer is...

On this forum, we can get replies from real people who have probably had the same question/issue. And it seems like with every 'repeat' question on the forum there's at least one response that offers something I've never heard of or thought of before. I feel like I have benefited so much from being part of this community that I'm happy to share what I've learned with others when I can. We were all newbies once....

pcbatiks
October 31st, 2015, 06:11 PM
Sorry you feel burned out answering questions, but I guess you can blame people like me for asking them. Yes sometimes I Google the internet for answers, but I find so often the answers I get from all of you are:
1. More direct
2. Easier to comprehend
4. Wonderful shortcuts
So for all these reasons I reach out to you who have become friends, so again, I apologize for "bothering" people with questions, but everyone here is not at an advanced level of expertise. And thank you everybody who has come to my aid in the past. I for one really appreciate the time you take in trying to help me.

Please, don't feel like you have to apologize. We all have questions sometimes & other times we even have answers. :)

MRoy
October 31st, 2015, 06:48 PM
I don't mind answering questions to help someone. Searching the internet is easier for me than searching this forum. Not everyone is a techo-geek or a math-nerd. I happen to be both and don't mind using those skills (or weird abilities, depending on how you look at it) to answer a question or find an answer for someone. Never know when I might be on the other side of the situation and asking for help.

bakermom
October 31st, 2015, 07:01 PM
personally I don't mind repeat questions. I'm an experienced quilter/sewer but I like to see how others do things. Might find a better way than what I've been doing. Google is fine, but if you're new the abundance of answers can be overwhelming, and just because it's on the internet doesn't mean the info is right. Asking here is like asking a friend

kensington
October 31st, 2015, 07:32 PM
Ditto... I don't see what is so hard to understand.... we are quilters, on a quilting forum, posting around and discussing whatever comes up... the occasional newbie asking a question that has been asked before isn't hurting any body.

Eliza
October 31st, 2015, 07:50 PM
Ditto... I don't see what is so hard to understand.... we are quilters, on a quilting forum, posting around and discussing whatever comes up... the occasional newbie asking a question that has been asked before isn't hurting any body.
Well said!

kaydee
October 31st, 2015, 08:53 PM
The best part of this forum (along with most facebook groups) is reading other people's questions and the responses.

This past week I learned two new things about my sewing machine b/c a couple of people asked a question. I had no idea my machine could do either thing. I wouldn't even have known to ask. But b/c someone else asked, and some kind person took the time to answer (with pictures in fact), I learned about two great features on my machine which I did not know existed, even though I've read the manual cover to cover. If these women had just researched the questions themselves, I'd still be in the dark!

I don't think you need to go into long explanations when answering. If someone asks about how to finish a binding, you wouldn't need to explain it. You could just give them a link to YOUR favorite method.

Besides, isn't that the purpose of the forum? To ask questions? To share knowledge?

Jean Sewing Machine
October 31st, 2015, 09:44 PM

This lady has the answers quicker than anyone, including Google! She is amazing, knowledgeable and very helpful! Thanks, Lorie, for helping so many of the forum members!

Deegles
November 1st, 2015, 12:36 AM
Alright members, you are all in fact are right! I must say after reading through this, you have cleared my mood. My my, my negative/pessimistic self needs to be put in check. I am glad I posed the question. I have glad for all the responses. I have read everyone, and you are all right!

GuitarGramma
November 1st, 2015, 01:48 AM
Deegles, it's the rare person today who allows other people to change her mind! You are a wonderful person for reading through everything and updating your thinking. Well done.

P.S. Could you please help me with my bad mood today? (I had a really down work day yesterday and it's ruined my whole day today. )

Hulamoon
November 1st, 2015, 02:07 AM
This lady has the answers quicker than anyone, including Google! She is amazing, knowledgeable and very helpful! Thanks, Lorie, for helping so many of the forum members!

I don't think I actually derserve that especially coming from you.

Thank you!

bubba
November 1st, 2015, 02:51 AM
There are of questions posed on this forum. You have so much valuable information right at your fingertips with the invent of the internet. Why do people ask questions here instead of posing the question and researching it on the internet? I enjoy helping people out on here. I have spent the last morning trying to find the right information to give to a relatively new quilter about pinning and matching seams and showing a sewing machine adjustment to help. Why do people not seek the free information out in internet land? I have done so much research helping others that maybe I should take that info and compile a book. Do any of you become a little big negative to the same ole questions asked over and over here? Or do you just ignore the question? Is it just me or do people seem lazy?

I've often wondered the same thing! The internet is our friend.......especially youtube!

bec
November 1st, 2015, 05:00 AM
I usually research a lot, but like to get input from what I consider to be experienced quilters. I recently asked a question about what marking tool you guys use on batiks because I found a number of sites that say my marking tool of choice is not good for batiks and others that said they were. I wanted some input from people who work a lot with batiks. I didn't want to use something that would ruin my quilt, especially since it is a gift. So far, I've gotten one response and I really appreciate them sharing their experience with me. I am thrilled when I can help find a pattern or fabric or whatever for someone on the forum. I feel that it's part of being a community. There's always the option on not commenting if you don't want.

TMP
November 1st, 2015, 06:04 AM
I have learned so much from reading responses to questions on this forum. Its the first place I go to when I log on to the forums. I do google and I do watch videos and read books on quilting and sewing. I like the idea of seeing how experienced quilters solve all sorts of issues and their favorite way of doing things.

I have sewn since I was 7 years old, but had never quilted and there have been times when I was just stuck with solving or understanding a simple term or technique . For me this forum is the best source of quilting knowledge I have found . Just look at the amazing work posted in the show and tell section. Why would you not want to learn from the best?
Thanks, to all of you who take your time to share your knowledge its very much appreciated !!

Carol336
November 1st, 2015, 07:37 AM
1. More direct
2. Easier to comprehend
4. Wonderful shortcuts

My sentiments exactly. I don't mind searching the internet, in fact I do it all the time. But when I want an answer quick.....this is where I come. I'm amazed at how fast the folks on this forum can come up with a solution to whatever problem one of us "newbies" is having. I'm sometimes a little reticent to ask though because I've seen this topic discussed before.

Carlie Wolf
November 1st, 2015, 10:49 AM
Alright members, you are all in fact are right! I must say after reading through this, you have cleared my mood. My my, my negative/pessimistic self needs to be put in check. I am glad I posed the question. I have glad for all the responses. I have read everyone, and you are all right!

Deegles you are just SO cool! What a lady!

cyndiofthevortex
November 1st, 2015, 11:22 AM
Oh, I hope when a newbie reads this question, she or he doesn't stop asking questions! We were all new quilters once. I wish I had had a place like this when I was just starting out. The same old questions keep being asked because newbie quilters keep (thankfully) joining us here. This place isn't just for us old folks who've been here a while and who've been quilting a long time. We all benefit when someone new comes to our forum. Let's welcome them and all of their questions!

BTW, I seem to learn something new here all the time and I've been quilting for 30 years!

Bneighbor
November 1st, 2015, 11:30 AM
Sometimes I see questions that are asked so many times it is nauseating. Not only because of the the question, but the multitude of answers and counter answers. Unfortunately, newbie and regulars may get lost in the confusion.
The one that drives me crazy is "what is the best machine?".
Well, we all ask those counter questions, such as: what price range ( new as opposed to used- price reflects that), what are you expecting it to do (straight stitch, quilting, embroidery). And good, intelligent answers follow....until one person mentions a "brand" then all heck breaks loose.
Brand is personal. I have used and do not like 2 certain brands, I would never own either if they were given to me for free. But I would NEVER bad mouth those brands because, to someone else, they are the best in the world. But when someone gets their brand bashed because it may be "plastic" (yes, but they still are very excellent machines), they are "too expensive" (depends on what you call expensive-what someone thinks is expensive may be entry level to someone else), and it was purchased at a big-box-store (ok?) and the counter bashing begins.
I liked when someone did some research and put a link to several brands websites, with the idea that those brands were compared. I did not bookmark it, so I will need to research here to find it. A nice feature to add would be a section on what are the pros and cons are compared. As in: this machine has these features (camera, reasonably good piecing foot, etc) but does not offer these features (wide harp, quick threading, etc).
When I was teaching, I had several entry-level brands to which they could try out. I always told them to buy the machine that they felt comfortable using and buy the the one they could afford. If you have $200.00 or $2000.00, buy the best.
This post was not meant to offend anyone, I understand we all come from different ideas. That is why this forum is great.

shirleyknot
November 1st, 2015, 11:38 AM
I hate it when some insist to new quilters that they "have" to buy this or that expensive machine or they just won't do well. Or the most expensive whatever. It stops a lot of new people cold, discouraged and sure they can't AFFORD to be a quilter. You actually CAN make quilts with a $90 Brother and a $15 iron, and do just as well as those who spend tons on their equipment. Our great-grands used a needle and thread, no machine, and made BEAUTIFUL quilts. Machine, iron, and fabric snobs don't do new people any favors.

SewnByBee
November 1st, 2015, 12:15 PM
I was very new to quilting when I came on the forum, some of the terms was like a different language to me,
As I kept on reading , Q & A I began to understand, but sometimes, you just have to ask.

I sure have appeared all the help I've been given. I don't mind paying it forward.

Carlie Wolf
November 1st, 2015, 12:20 PM
Interesting point, Shirley. For myself I like the range of replies I got when I was looking to buy a basic machine for my piecing. The one I had was quite old, had been one of the cheapest back in 2005 when I bought it. I noticed a piecing/embroidery machine for around the price range I could pry money out of my greedy little fingers for ($400 range). So I asked about standard with embroidery machines. At any rate several people did mention that with such a small hoop size I might get bored pretty fast and I might want to consider a more upgraded model might. At one point I did consider one of the more intricate machines that I could get for between 500-600 but I just couldn't make a decision to upgrade to that because I had just finished spending close to a total of $5000 to set up a long/mid arm quilting studio. I really did (and do) appreciate all the information I got about an upgrade and what was being said and how it was being said was very very true. I loved the input because while I couldn't justify the extra money at the moment it did give me a great basis for what I do want to aspire to and I know two models I would just love to have in the future. How much do appreciate it? I'm coveting it, like really really coveting. I look at those machines all the time trying to figure out how I will purchase one in the future LOL.

The upgrade from my old machine to the little SE Brother 400 was truly amazing. The things it was doing that my old machine could not amazed me. I can only imagine how I'd feel sewing from the two other models!! It's made my decision making process for the future so much easier I didn't find the viewpoints discouraging but inspiring! :icon_woohoo: I think that at times when people really push their opinions it just one of the things that makes this forum so interesting and informative. Ok, ok I'm an easily inspired person LOL

cyndiofthevortex
November 1st, 2015, 12:23 PM
One thing I love about this forum is the great discussions we have here, including this one! I think we're a rockin' group of quilters.

SewnByBee
November 1st, 2015, 12:41 PM
A FAQ thread for basic on quilting, terms,ect........ could be useful, and easy to access or direct people to.

shirleyknot
November 1st, 2015, 01:25 PM
I have seen one here, but its been a while. Funny, I had been quilting for years before I found this board, and I STILL don't get some of the shorthand. Didn't get MOST of them at first.

Suzette
November 1st, 2015, 01:35 PM
Deegle, you are a rare breed in that you heard what was being said here and kept an open mind. :icon_happy: You are awesome!!

I can get in a funk sometimes too and think "just google it already!" lol But that's just my momentary bad mood talking, not my true feelings (and only in my head, I never would post that! haha) . In my heart of hearts, I love helping people out and I truly never mind seeing even the same question asked over and over again. We may see it multiple times, but for the person asking, it is new and unfamiliar to them. :icon_bigsmile:

Deegles
November 1st, 2015, 03:28 PM
I hate it when some insist to new quilters that they "have" to buy this or that expensive machine or they just won't do well. Or the most expensive whatever. It stops a lot of new people cold, discouraged and sure they can't AFFORD to be a quilter. You actually CAN make quilts with a $90 Brother and a $15 iron, and do just as well as those who spend tons on their equipment. Our great-grands used a needle and thread, no machine, and made BEAUTIFUL quilts. Machine, iron, and fabric snobs don't do new people any favors.

I like that there is a frugal aspect of sewing/quilting and there are some hum-dinger ideas out in the forum. I started out frugal and this thread has reminded me to be humble. Thank you all.

dwil23
November 1st, 2015, 03:40 PM

And don't forget treadles! I started with a little Kenmore machine I bought in the late '80's. I still use it - great machine made by Janome - but have discovered vintage machines as well. Many really great vintage machines can be found for next to nothing at thrift stores and yard sales - or even given to you by someone that doesn't sew. I personally would rather have a basic machine that does all I need it to do and spend more money on fabric! For quilting, I don't see that you need lots of fancy stitches (although the serpentine is nice). And the other advantage of vintage machines - no mother boards to fry!!!

mommadeb
November 1st, 2015, 03:46 PM
The only thing I don't like is the same questions coming up over and over again. Just use the search box and throw in a keyword.

I will still help if I can though.