PDA

View Full Version : Baby Shampoo For Puppy?

Longstocking
October 29th, 2015, 11:41 AM
You were all so helpful when we randomly got a puppy last March so I thought you might be helpful again. We haven't washed our puppy for oh goodness at least 3 months now. How often should I wash a dog? She's an outside dog so I don't have to smell her - lol. Should I just make it a once a month habit? And what soap do you recommend? I was planning on washing her today, even though it's raining, do you think it would be OK to use Johnson baby shampoo just today and then I can get a special soap for next time? Not entirely sure but she should be about 9 months old now if that makes a difference.
Thank you!!

Carlie Wolf
October 29th, 2015, 12:05 PM
fwiw, I wouldn't tend to use any flea and tick shampoos on a dog under 6 month. I see no reason why a baby shampoo wouldn't be ok. I'd use a fine flea comb to run through her/his coat though just in case. I wouldn't wash her on a cold day unless you did a blow dry first.

Your puppy did send me a mental message and said he/she would prefer to hop in bed with you during the night and snuggle though. :-)

Sylvia H
October 29th, 2015, 12:10 PM
Your puppy did send me a mental message and said he/she would prefer to hop in bed with you during the night and snuggle though. :-)

I received the same mental message! Dogs are pack animals and don't do well when they are by themselves. Although I do know that they can be very happy sleeping on the floor or in a crate instead of in bed.

Definitely no flea or tick shampoos - at all. For safe flea and tick prevention, please get the appropriate products from your veterinarian. The stuff that is sold in the chain pet stores and at grocery stores can do severe damage to a dog or cats skin, and have at times caused deaths.

shirleyknot
October 29th, 2015, 12:20 PM
An outside dog that hasn't got into anything that NEEDS washed off doesn't need frequent bathing, as it removes the natural protective oils in skin and hair. People inflict bathing on house pets to keep the smell and fleas at bay. Advantix or Frontline applied monthly takes care of that.

ETA: That information comes from MY very practical and down to earth longtime small animal vet.

YellowCockatiel
October 29th, 2015, 01:31 PM
I don't own a dog so I'm no help with your question....but would love to see pictures of your fur baby.

toggpine
October 29th, 2015, 01:43 PM
We have never washed our outside dogs. They live with the livestock. We do use the topical flea treatments on all of our cats and dogs. We do wash the goats at least once a year, but we don't use the topical treatments on them since it can be transmitted through the milk.
We use the baby shampoo on the goat faces to keep from burning their eyes with the other soaps. I'd think it should be fine for the dog. Unless you are going to bring the dog inside nail it's completely dry, I'd probably wait to wash it until it's warmer outside. Washing will allow the water to penetrate to the skin, soaking all layers of the hair coat. Outside animals have guard hairs that help protect the undercoat from rain and snow. The skin oils coat these hairs and help with moisture shedding. Those same oils are what can make them smell doggy, which is why most indoor pets get bathed.
I would probably wait until spring for a bath. Now if the dog got into something gross or toxic that would change things.

bubba
October 29th, 2015, 03:58 PM
I have never owned a dog that was not allowed in the house. Even when we had Runty, our daughters pit bull, she stayed in the house with us (she thinks she is a lap dog!). A lot of the dogs we have owned have been cairns or westies, and they have a double coat. A cairn can go it's entire life without needing a bath and you are not even supposed to cut their hair, you are supposed to pull out the undercoat. I had a special tool called the Mars comb that did it easily. We had Cooper for over eight years before he died, and after he was no longer a puppy, I really don't remember bathing him.

shirleyknot
October 29th, 2015, 04:28 PM
My Chow is similar. Can't get water to her skin anyway. But I can pull a whole dog's worth of undercoat out of her in the spring. She isn't much of a house dog because she HATES being in, but I do make her come in when its nasty or really cold out; at least at night. I have a nice pack of "doggie deodorant" wipes to keep her reasonable, and a good deodorizer for the rug.

Suzette
October 29th, 2015, 04:42 PM
Because it was mentioned in a response, I will touch base on something that needs clarification... Dogs are not pack animals (that is outdated information that came from a flawed study done many years ago with wolves). Domesticated dogs do not form packs, but, if given a chance, will form loosely based social circles. So your dog might enjoy being around other dogs, but he neither needs to have a canine companion, nor does he suffer for not having one.

As for bathing, dogs rarely need baths. It strips their fur of its natural oils and protective properties. A good brushing daily (or even several times a week) usually does the trick. When they do need a bath (and sometimes they do get into stinky stuff), then a very mild, oatmeal based shampoo made for dogs works well and does not strip their coat of oils.

Snip Snip
October 29th, 2015, 05:07 PM
Suzette, are you saying that frequent brushing takes the place of bathing? What do you do about the doggy smell?

shirleyknot
October 29th, 2015, 05:32 PM
They make deodorant cloths to take care of the stinky. I keep them for my Chow, as she can get a bit smelly when she gets rained on. May have something to do with rolling in horse poo now and then. You just brush them out, then rub them down with the disposable cloth, and they SMELL like they just had a bath. Just fresh.

I always have to ask; if you are bothered by a normal doggy odor, why do you have a dog? They aren't meant to smell like people.

Hulamoon
October 29th, 2015, 06:09 PM
When we had our Golden we took her to the ocean and rinsed her off at home. Our yard gets muddy because of so much rain. She got baths in the baby pool outside.

I like a clean doggy, it makes them more huggable.

Sylvia H
October 29th, 2015, 06:15 PM
I mentioned dogs being pack animals. I should clarify my reference. The pack does not have to be other dogs. The pack can just be one other animal - or human. My dog and I are a pack (of two). Dogs are social animals and do better when they have a relationship with another animal or a human (animal).

There are some breeds, the Anatolian Shepherd comes to mind, that do well away from humans, performing their duties as working dogs. They are the exception rather than the norm. If you get a dog from the SPCA or a rescue organization, the chances are great that the dog is a social animal and will do better in a social situation with humans.

toggpine
October 29th, 2015, 06:32 PM
Sylvia, my ASDs would miss human contact. They are very independent thinkers, but if Eve was given the opportunity, she would be willing to live in the house. Probably claiming the other side of Emily's bed as hers while she was at it! They have created a pack with their goats and take care of them.
I can't imagine our farm without them.
As for their doggy smell, it's a bit more than I'd want in the house!

Most folks wash their hair on a regular basis, as the body oils tend to make it greasy looking and attract dirt. If you get close enough, there is a smell to unwashed human hair as well. We no longer need to make our own hair water resistant, as we have clothes and homes to keep us dry, so we bathe. The same principles apply to household pets. At a certain point, a bath will have to replace a good roll in the grass or a rain shower to refresh their coats.

shirleyknot
October 29th, 2015, 06:43 PM
People are a LOT different than dogs, actually, and smell a great deal worse when they don't bathe. For one, dogs don't sweat.

Longstocking
October 29th, 2015, 06:52 PM
Thank you for all your help and suggestions. My husband built our fur baby an insulated dog house and I bought her a heated pad (and water bowl) so I think she should be warm enough. Last night she was inside though because I haven't been able to get her heated bed set up yet. When people find out we have an outside only dog I have seen many looks and have heard many things about how cruel we are and we shouldn't have a dog. But I promise, we do love her and are taking care of her. My kids are all young ages 7-1 and one of their daily tasks is play time with the dog so she gets lots of love and attention - probably too much! She's a mutt through and through. Lab, Pyrenees, Healer and we don't know what.
She was a completely unplanned decision back in March. This is our first home and we kept telling the kids when we were in our own place we would get a dog. Shortly after we moved in I saw this adorable (6 weeks old) puppy on a garage sale page. The owners were college students who weren't supposed to have dogs in their dorm room. They had got her from a couple who had just had a baby. Poor girl needed a forever home :-( I called my husband at work and just told him, 'by the way, we're going to get a dog soon as you get home' Best last minute decision I've ever made. This is why we have a dog. My 7 year old son has some autism, sensory disorder and thin-n-that. She has been so good for all the kids but especially my oldest. When the other kids get too wild or he's just having a rough day he'll go outside and sit down. The dog will put her head in his lap and sit with him. Unconditional friendship.

Hulamoon
October 29th, 2015, 06:58 PM
Is there no way to have more inside time even if it's a gate somewhere? I never had an outside only dog. Cat's yea, because they want to. lol

Carlie Wolf
October 29th, 2015, 07:10 PM
Adorable pictures!

toggpine
October 29th, 2015, 08:09 PM
My goodness! It's not like you have chained the poor thing out to a post with no way to stay warm, dry, fed, or watered! My dogs love the outdoors, the heat gets to them more than the cold.
My dogs live outdoors 24/7/365. They are well cared for and have food, water, and a dry place to sleep. They are also a working part of the farm, but they still get daily attention and loves.
Eve was going to be put down because she wasn't working. She was bored living in the city, and when ever she could, she would go roaming. This put her life in jeopardy since she thought the local poultry farmer was offering a smorgasbord. She now has a job guarding our goats, and has become a model guardian. As long as we don't ask her to mind the chicken coop.

Longstocking
October 29th, 2015, 08:47 PM
It's funny I got the dog when you know I am not an animal lover. That is a big reason she's an outside dog. I love this dog but if she was in my space 24/7 I would have a harder time loving her. That sounds terrible to say but we're good friends respecting each other's space :)

laura44
October 29th, 2015, 09:54 PM
I've always used baby shampoo on my dogs. My 15 year old dog
gets a bath about every 6 months.

Valcross
October 29th, 2015, 10:08 PM
Have you seen Rob Gorski's blog, The Autism Dad? He talks about the wonderful relationships between his 3 sons (all on the Spectrum) and their dog Bella. I think it's cool you asked for shampoo suggestions. Everybody has strong opinions, don't we? lol. Glad your furbaby gets lots of attention, they do need that to stay 'healthy" also.

dizzyLiz
October 29th, 2015, 10:18 PM
I have 2 schnauzers; Lucy is a solid white miniature (17lbs) and Ellie mae who is a black and silver teacup (9lbs). Normally I bath my dogs once every few months, but these two would be thrown out of doggie boot camp LOL they are Trouble with a capital T. They get into the most impossible situations and often need bathing. Baby shampoo or oatmeal shampoo for dogs would work fine. You just have to be careful as bathing can lead to skin issues. I've never tried the wipes but have used the doggie dry shampoo.......you just work it into their coat, then brush out and presto a fresh clean dog.

With the weather being cooler I would certainly do it early in the morning or just keep her inside over night......just make sure she is completely dry before going back outside