PDA

View Full Version : Thursday, the last one this month

Monique
October 29th, 2015, 09:36 AM
OYE!! This month is just about over. It is another wet and gloomy day. I slept in this morning. I did take a pill and had a wonderful night's sleep. I haven't had that in about a week.

I worked on the rice bags yesterday. Sister-in-law called and asked if I could make some waterproof pads to put under my mother-in-law when she sleeps, just like the ones they use in the hospital. Well sure I can. So I went to have a look and got one from the home we were doing bingo at. The only thing I am wondering about is what is the layer in between? Would I use flannel as a batting? Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Anywho, today I will continue with the rice bags.

SMILE everyone and have a great day.

dwil23
October 29th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Good Morning, all!

Monique, I have used a product call PUL. Joann sells it here. It is a waterproof fabric that is used primarily to make diaper covers. I lined some coasters with it, and I think it would work perfectly for waterproof pads. It comes in prints and solid colors by the yard or in packages of precuts sizes.

Here is a link:
Search Results at Joann.com | Jo-Ann (http://www.joann.com/search?q=pul)

Truly hope I get baby Sawyer's quilt done today. Yesterday I visited with my friend I haven't seen in a while and met her two new sewing assistants! Two cute young men that want nothing but to help her sew - and are they handsome!

Hope everyone has a Blessed day!

SewnByBee
October 29th, 2015, 11:14 AM
Good Morning,

I want to make some water proof things too. We should start a thread on that.

I would like to make some adult and children bibs too, and other soil resistant items.

Thanks for the link. I'll see if I can learn more on doing this.

Hope you all have a blessed day, Forum Friends.120181

Ginny B
October 29th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Good morning all. I am home from work today. My dh had a cold over the last two weeks and I think I've got a touch of it. My voice started to go yesterday and my throat was a little scratchy. So, I decided to stay home and baby myself a bit. I slept until 8:00 this morning and was taking it easy this morning. Unfortunately, however, I received a phone call from the office to let me know that one of our co-workers died last night. She was found in her car in our parking lot by the cleaning crew. So, I've actually been on the phone checking on things. Of course, my boss is away on vacation so I had to be sure she was notified. I'm sure she wouldn't want to come back and find out a week later. She has worked with this person for many years. I was just sitting here thinking about the last words the lady that passed away said to me yesterday. I was covering the Front Desk for a few minutes and she had left a meeting and was headed back over to her part of the building. She has had some health issues and walked very slowly and so I buzzed her through one of the doors so she could just go through into her department and not have to get her pass out and swipe it, etc. She turned, gave bume a smile and said "Thank you, Virginia". She was always a very considerate, gentle, kind lady and will be missed greatly. Sad day.

We had some torrential rains yesterday and last night but it's nice and sunny here this morning.

I will try and spend some time sewing today and just doing relaxing things. Hope everyone has a good day.

Jean Sewing Machine
October 29th, 2015, 11:52 AM
Good morning! There is definitely a nip in the air here today, along with a nice stiff breese, so get out the warm coats! I bought a nice warm one when I was in upper NY several weeks ago, so now I get to use it here!

My sewing has certainly hit a slump lately. Need to get my mojo on and complete some projects!

Ginny, that certainly must have been a shock to hear that your coworker passed away in her car on the company parking lot! What a way to go!

Nothing new to share other than have a great day all!

MayinJerset
October 29th, 2015, 12:22 PM
Posting late this morning although I was up early for PT session. It was my last At Home session and I'll continue PT at local rehab gym. Resting a bit then tackling laundry. I'll fold on load while one is in the washer and another load is in the dryer.

Rain is gone and the sun is shinning and a cool breeze is coming in the window.

Ginny, so sad about your co-worker. Hope you feel better soon.

Ginny B
October 29th, 2015, 12:26 PM
And the day keeps getting worse. Just spoke with my sister and found out that my cousin's husband, who has been in the hospital since last week because of some medication imbalance issues, has found out that they see some lesions on his stomach and liver and will be doing a biopsy. Ugh. I would like to ask prayers for my cousin's family. They have been through a lot in the last ten years (lost their daughter to cancer and then lost their house to Sandy just to name a couple).

toggpine
October 29th, 2015, 02:15 PM
Wow Ginny! I'd be afraid to answer the phone the rest of the day. I hope things turn out well for your family.

Once I pry the kitty off my chest, I need to get back to work on the elephant tutu! I'll finish my coffee first, and enjoy the warm fuzzy purr machine for a few more minutes. I'm going to miss this when she goes back outside to resume her life as a barn cat.

Granny Judy
October 29th, 2015, 03:04 PM
Checking in for the day.. I'm in the middle of getting laundry done. It's good to see so many of you are up and at it this fine day.
Nothing new happening around here, except the weather. We've cooled off but there is lots of sunshine.

Sending out hugs and prayers to all. Now I've got to get back to the laundry room.. Getting winter wear ready doubles my time in there.

K. McEuen
October 29th, 2015, 03:29 PM
Monique, when sewing waterproof anything, remember that stitching through the waterproof fabric pokes holes in it that let moisture seep through. If you want any part of it quilted do it before adding the waterproof layer. PUL is not cheap at all so I am not sure how making the pads will be cheaper than buying them. I would use chucks, disposable pads like they use in hospitals. Cheap and easy to clean since you just toss them. I actually use them as pee pads for the dog since they are so much cheaper than the ones sold in pet stores. I buy a big package at Sam's Club for about 30 dollars. Instead of PUL, maybe you could use a flannel backed vinyl tablecloth as a liner, it should be waterproof and cheaper.

toggpine
October 29th, 2015, 04:32 PM
I worked on the rice bags yesterday. Sister-in-law called and asked if I could make some waterproof pads to put under my mother-in-law when she sleeps, just like the ones they use in the hospital. Well sure I can. So I went to have a look and got one from the home we were doing bingo at. The only thing I am wondering about is what is the layer in between? Would I use flannel as a batting?
Layers of flannel would work. I agree with the sewing through the layers being a problem if you pierce the waterproof backing. We have a couple of the waterproof reusable pads left from the grandparents. I would check medical supply stores and price them before investing all the $$ in supplies to make them. The fabric ones seem to breathe around the body better and were less likely to bunch up with body movements. We have had these for over 10 years and they are still very functional. They were used as crib pads and are still under the sheets on the grandson's bed.
They feel like multiple layers of flannel covered with Birdseye or diaper cloth, as grandma would call it. They are cross-hatch quilted about two inches apart. Ours are made by Medline.
Good luck with your project!