PDA

View Full Version : Broken glasses

snippet
October 28th, 2015, 10:22 PM
I am sure I am the only one here who puts off going to the doctor. It's not a specific doctor, but all doctors - dentists, GP, gyn, and optometrists too. I don't know why, I just don't like to go.

So..... it's been a year or two or three since I've been to get my eyes checked. yeah things are getting blurrier, but I'm good with it. But I've also noticed that the wire on the bridge of my nose is cracking and will break eventually. So that meant a doctor appointment last Friday. $600 later that day ... and I've ordered new glasses and sunglasses too. Should get here in a week. That's normal for me; apparently my astigmatism is weird and has to be done elsewhere.

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday..... oh yes ..... my glasses just broke on me WHILE driving in evening rush hour traffic with the sun in my face. Optimal timing. I drive home with each lens kinda poked into my eye sockets like they are monocles.

I'm wearing some old old contacts now; otherwise I'd be blind as a bat. I'd pray for a speedy delivery of my new glasses, but somehow I think God would just laugh at me and say this is what I deserve.

K. McEuen
October 28th, 2015, 10:32 PM
No, you are not the only one.

I did have to laugh when I read "each lens poked into my eye socket" because I was imagining the broken metal bridge piece actually being the part that was stuck into your eye.

BTW, I carry an extra pair of prescription glasses along with my prescription sunglasses in my purse. Yeah, I got 3 pair last time I got them and I need to go again before too long. The bifocal part needs updating but the rest is fine, so I'm not in any great hurry. I just take them off to read.

bubba
October 28th, 2015, 10:33 PM
Sorry, but I giggled at your dilemma. I don't like doctors of any kind either, so I understand your angst. I've got to make an eye appointment in the next few months.....for some reason, that doctor does not bother me. I'm surprised you can wear contacts with your astigmatism! Mine is the worse the eye doctors here have seen and they said I can't. Doesn't bother me as I don't think I could poke them in my eyes!!

KPH
October 28th, 2015, 10:45 PM
I totally get it! Bless your heart, glad you made it home safely!

SuzyQue
October 28th, 2015, 11:44 PM
I can pray for a fast delivery, safe travel, and a willing spirit to see the Dr in a more timely fashion..............but I resemble you in that department, so God might laugh at me, too!

snippet
October 29th, 2015, 12:14 AM
Sorry, but I giggled at your dilemma. I don't like doctors of any kind either, so I understand your angst. I've got to make an eye appointment in the next few months.....for some reason, that doctor does not bother me. I'm surprised you can wear contacts with your astigmatism! Mine is the worse the eye doctors here have seen and they said I can't. Doesn't bother me as I don't think I could poke them in my eyes!!

Yep I can. I started wearing soft contacts when I was 18 and stopped when I needed bifocals about 10 years ago. I hate glasses so I tried the monovision thing, but my brain didn't adjust to it well. But I'm wearing them now cause that's the only thing I have.

When I wore normal Toric contacts, it would take about a dozen trips to the doctor to try different lenses. I'd go home with one pair, live with them for a few days and go back to see how the lens settles on my eyeball. Then I'd get a new pair and repeat until the doctor tweaked the lenses well enough to sit straight on the eyeball. I am not prescription-literate to tell you if my eyes are bad or not, but my glasses are pretty thick on the edges - so much so I am limited to what frames I can buy.

bubba
October 29th, 2015, 01:13 AM
My eyes are not all that bad, but I do have severe astigmatism and I wear bifocals on top of that......no line bifocals of course! When I was still working, I had to have a separate pair of bifocals for the computer.

MayinJerset
October 29th, 2015, 11:58 AM
I can pray for a fast delivery, safe travel, and a willing spirit to see the Dr in a more timely fashion..............but I resemble you in that department, so God might laugh at me, too!

He may be laughing at me too!

K. McEuen
October 29th, 2015, 03:20 PM
My eyes are not all that bad, but I do have severe astigmatism and I wear bifocals on top of that......no line bifocals of course! When I was still working, I had to have a separate pair of bifocals for the computer.

Oh, they have progressives now. Bifocal for reading on the bottom, computer distance in the middle and regular distance on the top. Don't you know those took some getting used to at first. You should have heard me complaining to them about all the SMALL frames they had for sale that were supposed to hold a progressive lens. Each section would have been about 1/4 inch high! My sunglasses are larger frames and they are the easiest to wear and see through. Yes, I got progressive lenses in them as well because I don't immediately take them off when shopping, etc.

bubba
October 29th, 2015, 03:43 PM
Oh, they have progressives now. Bifocal for reading on the bottom, computer distance in the middle and regular distance on the top. Don't you know those took some getting used to at first. You should have heard me complaining to them about all the SMALL frames they had for sale that were supposed to hold a progressive lens. Each section would have been about 1/4 inch high! My sunglasses are larger frames and they are the easiest to wear and see through. Yes, I got progressive lenses in them as well because I don't immediately take them off when shopping, etc.

I have the progressive lenses, but they did not work for all the computer screens I had at work.....one for the radio, one for the phone, one for the map, two for the CAD system!! The odd part is that I don't need them for the computer screen I use at home, it was, I'm sure, something to do with the poor lighting on top of all those screens. It was not until they went to the newer type screens that it even bothered me, but once they did that, it was all downhill!

Altairss
October 29th, 2015, 03:50 PM
I am hating my progressives. They told me I had to get full frames that go all the way around the lense but all of them are short over the eye so you only have three narrow levels to look thru and the frames reflect light at night while driving. I had minor heart failure several time thinking something was in the road when it was just light reflection moving across the bottom of the glass frames. I wish I could toss them out sometimes.

snippet
October 29th, 2015, 04:07 PM
I love my progressives. I had no trouble at all getting used to them. But it did take a while finding frames big enough for all three focal points.

K. McEuen
October 29th, 2015, 04:14 PM
I am hating my progressives. They told me I had to get full frames that go all the way around the lense but all of them are short over the eye so you only have three narrow levels to look thru and the frames reflect light at night while driving. I had minor heart failure several time thinking something was in the road when it was just light reflection moving across the bottom of the glass frames. I wish I could toss them out sometimes.

They lied to you. Both pair of my regular glasses are half frames, the bottom half being fishing line looking stuff that holds the lenses in, and they are progressives.

GuitarGramma
October 29th, 2015, 04:33 PM
I'm desperately trying to avoid progressives. My DH has them, and I just don't think it's healthy the way he has to crane his neck to get the lenses in just the right position. So instead, I have multiple pairs of glasses: one stylish set for distance, and multiple copies of a computer/music/mid-range prescription.

Because I'm so nearsighted, I can still read without glasses despite my age. My eye doctor tells me that my vision is set at 16", which is a comfortable reading distance. But to see any farther (even to set the sprinkler timer in the garage) I need my computer/music/mid-range prescription glasses.

I buy the distance glasses directly from my doctor, since that's what I wear 80% of the time. To save money, I buy the computer/music/mid-range glasses online. I've purchased from both Peerless Optical (great prescription, limited frames) and Eye Buy Direct (lots of great frames, haven't been as happy with the prescription).

Let us know what you do!

Carolnnc
October 29th, 2015, 08:56 PM
Just had to giggle! Had glasses since I was 5 and 55 years later I still hate them. If you wear glasses very long you know something is going to happen. I carry an old pair in the car and a little repair kit in my purse. I can see absolutely nothing if I take them off. I even tell people I also can't hear if I have them off. (I'm halfway joking) I tell people the only nice thing about glasses is that when I take them off I can't see my facial wrinkles and I can imagine I'm 30 again! Never could get any doctor to give me contacts.

Quiltfreestyle
October 29th, 2015, 09:10 PM
I used to be so near sighted that I couldn't recognize people 5 feet away without my glasses. On top of that I had really awful astigmatisms in both eyes.. I've had to wear glasses since 4th grade (yeah that's me, 4 eyes in all the school pics).
Turns out my cataracts were a blessing in disguise. They put in lenses that corrected my distance vision & the astigmatisms. They asked first if I wanted excellent distance or close up vision so I choose distance. I have to wear reading glasses now but I can drive without glasses & I buy my sunglasses at the dollar store. Hahaha. Does that save a bundle!!
In a pinch I can get by with those cheap reading glasses from the drug store.

snippet
October 30th, 2015, 01:25 AM
Yeah, I think the reason you can't get half frames is because of your prescription, not because of the progressive. I can't get them either and was told it was because my lens are too thick for the fishing line to hold correctly.

I have my new glasses! I'm so happy now and I can see!!!!

bubba
October 30th, 2015, 03:47 AM
They lied to you. Both pair of my regular glasses are half frames, the bottom half being fishing line looking stuff that holds the lenses in, and they are progressives.

They sure did lie to you! Mine are also held in w/the line. The only requirement is that the lens is large enough to accommodate the progressive style.

For the gal whose husband is craning his neck to see out of his....something is wrong with them, because neither I or MM have to do that and never have had to do that. Right now, I am sitting on my couch using the laptop using the middle and lower part, and then looking up by moving my eyes to the top part to see the TV. All without moving my neck.

Altairss
October 30th, 2015, 11:39 AM
With my prescriptions its really low my lenses are pretty thin. Since I got mine with full frames I have heard from others and those with some serious thickness it can be done even with thicker frames but they are heavier so many people do not like them that way.

When I got my progressives I was told there were three levels I could get the lowest level has a very narrow field of vision so you really have to turn your head to see as it goes out to the sides it distorts. I was like why get that well cost they are cheaper but you loose a lot of the vision space. I think my tech was just a pain I should have been told I could get the half frame and I should have been told the glasses I picked did not really have the depth needed to do all three levels of progression. For what these cost it was a waste of money but I have to wait till next year when my insurance renews my glasses availability to get another pair.