PDA

View Full Version : Remember Remember 5th November!

Divine Daisy
November 5th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Remember, remember the 5th of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot
I see no reason why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot!

Bonfire Night here in the UK. Stay warm, stay safe and enjoy!

Whatever your politics, whether you commemorate the plotters failure or celebrate their daring, put your Guy on top of the bonfire and oooooooo and ahhhh at the fireworks!

Off to do the sausages..........have fun all

hugs
Daisy

oldgurl4
November 5th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Okaaaayyyyy.....
No More TODDY FOR YOU TOO!!

Is that like a 4th of July for Us??

Divine Daisy
November 5th, 2011, 04:01 PM
ahh oldgurl! The gunpowder plot took place in 1605. Two years after the death of Elizabeth 1. England was very protestant. Her half cousin James V1 of scotland became James 1st of england after her death and on the whole england wasn't altogether pleased about it. A group of Catholics plotted to blow up the houses of Parliamnet with the King inside when he went to open it for the session. They were only discovered by accident the night before, the cellers of Westminster was full of barrels of gunpowser. Every year sinse that date the cellers are searched the night before the monach opens Parliament.

Ever sinse then November the 5th has been remembered with bonfires to represent the explosion had it happened. On top of the bonfire is place a dummy called the Guy. This is named after Guy Fawkes one of the plotters and the one caught in the cellers with the gunpowder. Children make a Guy and go door to door in a simular way to Trick or Treating, except the ask for 'a penny for the Guy'
Fireworks are also to represent the explosion and the rhyme at the top of my post is chanted around the bonfire.

So there you have it, an ancient festival and depending on your politics and how you feel about the monachy people either celebrate the daring or commemorate the failure of the plot. Either way everyone has a good time, eat lots of soup, baked potatoes and sausages

rebeccas-sewing
November 5th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Really enjoyed your post about "Guy Fawkes Day." Interesting celebration.

Monique
November 5th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Have a wonderful time Daisy.

Bubby
November 5th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Enjoy your celebration! Barb

Sandy Navas
November 5th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Did anyone else enjoy Daisy's telling of Guy Fawkes more than they enjoyed it in World History class . . . oh, probably 50+ years ago?

Divine Daisy
November 5th, 2011, 08:45 PM
ah everyone, i hope i dont bore you all. apart from being a lawyer and therefore never know when to shut up............words are money yanno lol. I am also a history nut!

Mrs.Sew&Sew
November 5th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Thanks for sharing that Daisy I never heard of that in History class. So thanks for teaching me what the teachers failed to!

Hope you and Mr. Daisy are well and have fun tonight!

:icon_wave:

Loonwatcher
November 5th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Alison, thanks so much for telling/educating us on your holiday. hope you have a wonderful time celebrating.

sewmuchjan
November 5th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Happy Bonfire Mr and Mrs Daisy, oh by the way is there any "Bubbles and Squeak" there? if so past me some pleaseeeesees!!! :) :) I use to make that and a few other dishes a few years back!! Did I mention I had a proper English Grandmother?? (she was born there!!!)

Have fun and see you on the web!!!
Love and Hugs
Jan G

P.S. I have a Elk Roast with all the trimmings in my Grandmother's Drip Drop Roaster!!! mmmmmmm

debinmalaga
November 5th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Very cool! Thanks for the posting and hope you and Mr Daisy have fun!

Kizzie
November 5th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Watch the movie V for Vendetta

I remember building my Guy Fawkes in Wales mum would fill it with straw and we drew a face on him with permanent marker and then he would be wearing like a checkered flannel shirt and denim overalls LOL!!! then we would tie strings around his wrists and feet and torso and neck so the straw didnt fall out!!! We used to build a MASSIVE bonfire on bonfire night and then have firecrackers too!!! gosh thanks for the reminicisng I would have only been about 6!! Good memory hey lol!!

janluna
November 6th, 2011, 02:33 AM
I love the story of Guy Fawkes and the rebellion! I remember the story well. Got an A on my paper in school. Daisy, that is so cool that you are a history nut! I like it myself. And Jan, My Great grandmother was born in England and moved to the USA in the 1800's. She was a very proper Lady. My Grandmother was also brought up that way. I have enjoyed reading what everyone wrote today. Daisy, you can tell me history all you want! And what is "Bubbles and Squeak?" It's a food dish right? I've heard of all these dishes, but they were never explained nor were recipes given. I would love to make a few of my kin's food. I'm English and German on my Mom's side, and Irish and American Indian on my Dad's side. I would love to do my Genealogy and then go visit the countries my people came from. I hope everyone had a good day today. Sandy, honey, I hope you feel better soon. You are right, you have had too many cold and/or flu type things going on for all last year. Did you get your flu shot, pneumonia shot, and shingles shot? I used to get pneumonia like clockwork every year. I haven't had it once since I had the pneumonia shots. That's about 12 years now. It's a good thing too, as I have Asthma. This year we all get any and all shots available because of Emily.
I got my car inspected, lube, oil, and filter today. It's a good thing too, as I happened to look in the window of my Durango and said oops! I should have had it done in September! Thank goodness I didn't meet up with a copper. That would have been a fine!
Hopefully tomorrow, I can get on when everyone else is on. Been busy the last two days.
Daisy, Love you dear. Hang in there. Prayers going up for you and your DH. How's the wedding coming along? Sandy, Sweetie, fluids and rest, fluids and rest! I'm sure your DH will be great on his exams. He's a very gifted man. Anyone that can build a beautiful hand quilting frame like he did, can do anything! Loved it! Jan G. I hope you feel better too, honey!
Love, Hugs and prayers for everyone! Jan L.

Sandy Navas
November 6th, 2011, 11:09 AM
LOVE BUBBLE AND SQUEAK - make it quite frequently. I did have some Scottish friends who gave me the low down on it - and I had made it many times but didn't know the name. I probably don't do a traditional British recipe though.

From Allrecipes.com: Bubble and Squeak Ingredients

* 1/2 medium head cabbage, sliced
* 3 slices bacon, diced
* 1 onion, thinly sliced
* 1 cup cubed cooked ham
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 3 cups potatoes - baked, cooled and thinly sliced
* 1/2 teaspoon paprika
* salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. In a medium saucepan, cook cabbage in a small amount of water for about 5 minutes, or until tender. Drain, and set aside.
2. In a well-seasoned cast iron skillet, cook bacon and onion until onion is soft and bacon is cooked. Add ham, and cook until heated through. Add butter, then mix in the cooked cabbage and potatoes. Season with paprika, salt, and pepper. Cook until browned on bottom, turn, and brown again.

I do mine a bit differently but it is basically the same idea - I usually use smoked sausage and when the whole dish is nice and tender and browned well I sprinkle with about a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce. We love it for a quick dinner.

And Allison, you definitely don't need to be worried about being too wordy here - we love your stories!! (After all they have been very kind and put up with me . . . )

Kizzie
November 6th, 2011, 11:22 AM
ahhhh.... well my mum told me this recipe was the Brittish Tradition (may be a welsh one)

Bubble and Squeak is made from leftovers.... Mainly on a Monday night after a Sunday night roast... all the leftovers mashed up

So for your roast dinner you have your meat, pumpkin, carrots, peas, potatos etc all precooked..

Next day chop up your meats to tiny pieces and mash all your pumpkin potatoes and pease etc then press into smaller Balls (burger size once they are flattened a bit (usually 2 cakes per person)

then dip them in flour and fry them gently on a skillet or in a frypan on medium heat till warmed through and a bit golden on the outsides be gentle as they can break apart so you only want to flip them once.

You can add salt n pepper to taste into the mix too and YUMMMYYYY

But your Sandy sounds quite interesting ! I think mine may be a bubble and squeak patticake mix kinda thing not sure will ask my mum when I talk to her next she was a cor don bleu chef who used to work in the Top hotel in Cardiff, Wales

Usually look like this...

Divine Daisy
November 6th, 2011, 02:41 PM
um........... just a point of order......bubble and squeek would never include pumkin. Untill about 20 years ago a brit would be appalled at the suggestion of eating pumkin. pumkin is pig feed!

If i am totally honest, i still can't eat it, but i have learned not to wail.........eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww pig food!!

Kizzie
November 6th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Very true DD from what I can remember mum never even had pumpkin in the UK but since moving to Australia we have roast pumpkin in our roast dinners which tastes like honey when cooked right, the skin just melts in your mouth too,

So I guess while I grew up in Australia from age of 6 onwards mum has adapted to the Aussie ways too and incorparated the pumpkin into the bubble and squeak!