PDA

View Full Version : Night Owl Flies Again

Lightwriter
October 22nd, 2015, 04:44 AM
Got a few ZZZZZ's, now flying around the forest to hoot with friends.

The weather here was gorgeous today. Sun, dry, and warm. Day 2 of the reno went well. Foundation block laid and brick facing completed. Hope it will stay pretty...don't need rain to muddy up foundation.

Actually found a local guy to order a laptop from. It will mean going back to Windows from Mac, but I just don't have money for those tasty apples. At least I will have someone local for service after sale. Sigh...another operating system to learn and along with that will be two pieces of software I will have to learn. I got interested in computers early on in 1981..the school system I worked in then was an early adopter. Means I have worked with early Apple OS as well MS Dos before Windows...and nearly every major version of Windows there has been (ok, I think I missed Vista...)

Always slightly different twists and the photo editing and page layout programs change with each operating system. I am not a true techie, so it always a challenge. My poor old brain doesn't learn as well as it used to, so this round may be a pain in the butt. It has come a long way from the time I had to change switches on a modem to connect with a 'bulletin board" service....pre Internet.

Funny story about early days with computers... I was in grad school and doing a very tough research class...and they made us do research project via modem. Now this was in the days everything was mainframe and you connected by putting an actual phone receiver on modem stand. The prof gave us all instructions and we trooped over to computer lab to try our luck. I couldn't get it to work..when I went back to class discovered I was not alone....no one had been successful. Prof gave us another set of directions and we all trooped back to the lab again. Another bust. We all went back to class very frustrated. Prof went off on us in class..literally called us stupid to our face. Stormed over to lab so he could prove his directions worked. But it didn't work for him either! He was really aplogetic for his rant, especially when he found some dodo brain working with the mainframe had dropped the physical files and bent them so they wouldn't run. He gave us all A's on the project...and as tough as that class was it was a true blessibg. With all the virtual stuff today it is hard to think about computers once having physical type of files....

Have a happy Thursday and may all your computer endeavors be positive!

Hulamoon
October 22nd, 2015, 05:18 AM
Ahh computers, love, hate there huh. My best friend in high school got into them and I was like why. I didn't see the future. Now you can't keep me off. I'm taking my laptop with me to get an oil change and safety check tomorrow.Hopefully I can get get Wi-Fi so I can watch a class. l never did use a mac.

Off to watch survivior. :)

kimsophia
October 22nd, 2015, 06:33 AM
I read the book "Still Alice" tonight. It was very good.

Carol336
October 22nd, 2015, 07:01 AM
up at 4 - again.....that seems to be my waking up time no matter when I fall asleep.....grrrr!!!!

I'm a computer nut.....never leave home without it. I love all photoshop.....spend hours upon hours making note cards. I take a photo of a friends house, open it in photoshop and using filetes and brushes and anything else I might discover, to turn it into a watercolored/painting. I then print in on the front of a note card. I usually give them as thank you gifts.....always a hit.

I'm off to G Streetn Fabrics in Rockville MD today with my DDIL. We're having a girls day out, long over due. I don't know if I'm more excited to be going to GSF or to be able to have some one on one time with my lovely "daughter".

Have a great day everyone