PDA

View Full Version : Counting fingers and blessings!

SuzyQue
October 19th, 2015, 08:25 PM
Yesterday, my hubby had a freak farm accident in which he really boogered up his thumb. There is no nail left at all and a huge tear in the side, but thankfully he still has that thumb! He did break the end of the bone into fragments, almost a shattering, but we have to treat the cut and lack of nail first before they can splint the thumb. He will have to take off at least a week from work and farming, so wish me luck keeping this work-a-holic down! We need to make sure not to get any infection, as the bone fracture and fragments will make that situation dire. He was just about done with the wheat planting and the second crop beans are still not ready, so now is as good of time as any for this respite. I just don't know what I can keep him occupied with, so that I can continue to crank out those baby quilts! He may never grow a replacement nail on this thumb, but we are thankful that he still has it attached to his hand! I guess we will be experiencing a trial retirement period......YIKES!

shirleyknot
October 19th, 2015, 08:54 PM
I'm so sorry for him since I know just how he feels. Did that to my right index finger some years ago. MISERABLY painful!

judimccl
October 19th, 2015, 09:19 PM
So sorry to read this. Let us know how you do with the trial retirement period and just keep breathing deeply. :icon_wave:

MRoy
October 19th, 2015, 09:24 PM
I hope your husband's thumb heals without any problems. I'm also married to a workaholic farmer, so I can sympathize with what you are going through too. Prayers for lots of patience for you! Bless your heart!

SewnByBee
October 19th, 2015, 09:27 PM
SoSorry,
He got hurt, glad it wasn't worse.

FYI if he is the kinda guy that's gotta stay busy ( like mine) , Keep him Sedated, for his own good. And Yours.😁
Hope all will be good soon.

Sandy Navas
October 19th, 2015, 09:46 PM
Oh, Suzy - so sorry to hear this. I know how difficult it is to keep a good man down. Prayers on-going!!

Simply Quilting
October 19th, 2015, 11:05 PM
I'm thankful that he was able to keep his thumb. Prayers that it heals quickly. How about working on paperwork or some sort of planning project? My dad had a house literally fall on his hand several years ago - did some really bad damage to his thumb, index and middle finger - was able to save everything and the nails grew back. He did therapy - squeeze balls were great exercise. But it was hard to keep him inside way from anything that could lead to infection.

Jean Sewing Machine
October 19th, 2015, 11:13 PM
Suzy, hope he can recover full use of his hand!

easyquilts
October 19th, 2015, 11:21 PM
Thank goodness that thumb is still attached to your husband's hand! My goodness...

My husband was a workaholic, too, do I know you have a real tack ahead of you.... They never want to stop...... Not until whatever the job is, is done...

Kgrammiecaz
October 19th, 2015, 11:57 PM
Oh my, ouch! I am all with that sedated suggestion. Nightquil during the day. Lol

auntiemern
October 20th, 2015, 12:11 AM
Oh honey,so sorry this happened. Thankfully he didn't lose the thumb. Good luck keeping him down. Take him to the doc and have a cath put it, lol...I know from experience he will not want to do anything. Just thought I would try to add some humor to a dreadful situation. Ya know I love ya sweetie.

SuzyQue
October 20th, 2015, 02:17 PM
Ok---Major fail today. The fertilizer buggy has to go back, so hubby is "directing" son in finishing that task and planting "just a little more wheat" before it rains. That thumb is so wrapped and protected and he promised to just supervise, but I could NOT keep him from the field. Time for a trip for Nightall! URGH!!! How will we make it a week or more?????

ceiliam
October 20th, 2015, 03:37 PM
I am so sorry give him pain killers hopefully this will work. Prayers sent your way

FabStripper
October 20th, 2015, 07:52 PM
I'm glad it wasn't any more worse for your DH. It coulda been real bad. My father used to put sugar on cuts to prevent infections. I wonder if anybody still does that?

Dollyquilts
October 20th, 2015, 07:57 PM
The only use for sugar I've ever heard of was putting it in a horse's eye for an injury. I'll have to do some research to see if it's for a bacterial or fungal infection.

Monique
October 21st, 2015, 03:22 AM
I hope he heals quick!y.

Vonnie
October 21st, 2015, 06:37 AM
So sorry about that!

But, save your breath. Sounds like your husband just can't sit still for very long.

joder1116
October 21st, 2015, 07:11 AM
We had a trial retirement this year....OH MY is all I can say. My DH was working in the barn with the table saw. He is usually SO careful with everything, you guessed it I got a call at work saying he was headed to ER. I arrived there to find part of his index finger missing and a very bad fracture to what was left of it. and a huge "chunk" of his thumb was gone too. He was transported from our local hospital to Louisville, KY for emergency surgery. He was off work 20 weeks!!! He too is a work-a-holic!! It was almost impossible to keep him in the house and away from work stuff (he loves to piddle). Thankfully he healed very well and after extensive therapy he has full use of his hand and the Dr saved and reconstructed his thumb.

It was a true trial, my DH works 28 days (gone from home) and then off for 28 days (home with me) I will say I love him dearly, but after 20 solid weeks of him being home I was almost jumping for joy when he was released to go back to work!!! :0

My prayers are with you and your DH!

Mom23
October 21st, 2015, 10:03 AM
Oh Suzy,

Just saw this post. It sounds like there is no way you are going to keep your husband down. While it's bandaged up so well he probably isn't danger of hurting it further. Once the bandages come off you will have to worry more about him!

December 23, 1981, the year we graduated from high school, my husband was trying to finish a shelf for my mom for Christmas when he lost 4 fingers in a radial arm saw. He was sent to St. Louis for reattachment but only one finger was saved. He now has a thumb and small finger on his left hand. His recovery brought us closer together because I took him back to STL for many of his appointments. I fell in love with him further at that time because I admired his courage. Still do!

Grandma Nan
October 21st, 2015, 10:21 AM
Suzy so sorry to hear about your husband's accident. After retirement "we" had to find something for hubby to do as he was driving me crazy. He found a very flexible part time job that doesn't pay much but he has fun. It gets him out. Hope you are able to find something that will keep you husband busy but out of the way of infection.