PDA

View Full Version : Monday, a cold start to the day

Monique
October 19th, 2015, 07:31 AM
Good morning. Yes, it is cold this morning, -5C.

Getting ready for the big day. I have a few projects lined up that I will take with me. Power is set to go off here from 7-8 this morning so up and showered so I can smell good.

OKAY, I bought a machine yesterday. We stayed home and did the on-line auction and hubby bid and won $45 for a 222k Singer sewing machine in the box. Box is not in great shape, the power cord seems brittle to me, light is missing but heck for $45 that is a steal. There was another one that went for $210. Anywho, needs some TLC and a little work. I think I can re-wire the cord without too much difficulty. Picture later.

Have a great day friends. Stay warm and stay safe.

irishrn
October 19th, 2015, 08:00 AM
Good chilly morning to all! Thanks for the thread Monique!
Up really early as the dog wanted out for a quick pee! He was back in a flash, and back to bed!! But now I'm up since 530!
This is the first week in months that we don't have any doctor appointments. And only one next week. Yeah!!!
Will be dog sitting the grand puppy from Wednesday to Monday while the DD heads to Texas for a visit with an old friend battling MS. Casey will enjoy having Finn around for a few days!

Hope all have a sunny day ahead. I did hear there was some snow up north today. So glad I missed that. Cold is bad enough!

Lori63
October 19th, 2015, 08:15 AM
Good monring:)

Monique, congrats on the new baby (222k)! Can't wait to see pics.

Back to work for me today. Yuck, can't wait till I can retire, but that's several years away. Anyway, I got a little sewing in and cut out fabric for another baby quilt. It's easy squares so I should be able to get the top done this week.

Have a great day everyone:)

RiverMomm
October 19th, 2015, 09:05 AM
It is cold this morning, with the low in the mid 20's. I guess my flowers are history now. We can start our fall cleanup of our yard next weekend. I always wait until the flowers are gone before I start trimming and removing.

Monique, what is the auction where you found the sewing machine? I am guessing it is local to you? You always find the coolest things. I can't wait for the pictures. I almost bought an old Singer off Craigslist but decided that since I had NO idea how to fix it, how to use it or where to put it, that I shouldn't buy it. I did find a sewing machine cabinet with easy up and down shelf.

Tomorrow I get to meet our own Jean from the forum. She has been such a wonderful mentor to me over the years as I have learned quilting! I can't wait. :)

The Yarnarian
October 19th, 2015, 09:10 AM
24 deg at 6:30 here in the NY metro area. Brrrr. However, it should be in the low 70's Tues-Thurs. Truly weird weather, but it's not snowing, so that's OK.

Sandy Navas
October 19th, 2015, 09:10 AM
Yeah for Vicky and Jean!!!

Double YEAH for Monique (see, I told you that I wouldn't tell on you!!)

Wish Lorie didn't have to work then she could hop up here and help me sort sewing stuff today!!

And Eileen - it will be so strange for you not to be out rushing around with appointments!! Yeah for you, too!!

Still dark outside - what am I doing up?

Jean Sewing Machine
October 19th, 2015, 09:14 AM
Hi folks! The family and I made to upper NY state for their move from the Midwest. It was a long and arduous trip for the parents with 3 big unhappy dogs in the car, but the grandkids and I got here with just a few boring airport layovers. It snowed in upper NY over Saturday to Sunday, not enough where we were to cause road problems, but it was absolutely beautiful driving along with the snow covering or dusting the pine trees and the hardwood trees absolutely ablaze with color! We were in and out of snow flurries all day, but the sun was shining through and onto the huge puffy snowy clouds, so it was really a pretty drive! (Syracuse to Potsdam) Today we will enroll the kids in school, and tomorrow I meet our forum friend RiverMomm, who will be my taxi driver to the Montreal airport for my return trip back to St. Louis Wednesday.

I don't think I'll be fabric shopping on this trip, although I did have to buy a puffy warm coat after it snowed and froze my bones. But so far, I've been glad to have made this trip with my kids. If I weren't here, I'd be home bawling my eyes out missing them! So I'd rather be here!

Hope you all have a great day!

Jean Sewing Machine
October 19th, 2015, 09:25 AM
It is cold this morning, with the low in the mid 20's. I guess my flowers are history now. We can start our fall cleanup of our yard next weekend. I always wait until the flowers are gone before I start trimming and removing.

Monique, what is the auction where you found the sewing machine? I am guessing it is local to you? You always find the coolest things. I can't wait for the pictures. I almost bought an old Singer off Craigslist but decided that since I had NO idea how to fix it, how to use it or where to put it, that I shouldn't buy it. I did find a sewing machine cabinet with easy up and down shelf.

Tomorrow I get to meet our own Jean from the forum. She has been such a wonderful mentor to me over the years as I have learned quilting! I can't wait. :)
And Vicky has mentored me in many ways by helping me get my YouTube tutorials online! And she is from St. Louis! It's about time we meet face to face! I'm so excited about getting to see her!

KPH
October 19th, 2015, 09:32 AM
We're out and about today, Picking up the tag for the truck, taking Phoebe's quilt to the post office to mail, calling for appts to continue work on Mom's estate junk, cleaning up my office to decide what's next to do off of my list.

If I haven't told you, my mom was a pack rat. Sat. we shredded canceled checks and bank statements from 1988- 1992. There are more boxes like that up in the attic. I know when we moved in and I started doing her paperwork that she would have me make copies of every check I wrote at the house and that was stapled to the bill portion that wasn't mailed off, so there are 4 years of those up there too. lol, We should start a pool on how many shredders I'm going to go through during this process!

Time to get dressed and get started! Have a wonderful day, be safe out in the cold!

MayinJerset
October 19th, 2015, 09:48 AM
Really cold during the night so DH turned the heat on.

Had a nice restful weekend with visits from DS#1, DGD E on Saturday for dinner and my sister and her DH yesterday. Sis brought cold cuts and fresh baked bread and rolls that went perfectly with the big pot of low fat creamy carrot soup that DH and I made. Today it's back to week scheduled with daily at home PT and primary doctor visit on Tuesday.

auntiemern
October 19th, 2015, 09:52 AM
Been up since 5:45. Had to drive to DD's this AM to to stay with kids, and get them up and ready for school. It was cold, but didn't check the temp. Had them all weekend as well,so this Gran is ready for a break.
Got all our hotel reservations made for our trip to Disney World in May made. Just me, DD, and the 3 grands. DH will most likely spend those 8 days at the lake fishing.
Managed to get my falling charms to done for the PICU that I started at the retreat. Was actually a productive weekend,considering I had the kids by myself while DH was of hunting. Finished the top, made and embroidered 2 Halloween bags for that 2 little kids, and got an apron appliqued for a friends GD.
Jean, any time you get lonely for little ones, I have 2 you can borrow any time.
Off to get them finished up, and get them to school. Hugs and blessings for all. Prayers for those in need.

RiverMomm
October 19th, 2015, 09:53 AM
And Vicky has mentored me in many ways by helping me get my YouTube tutorials online! And she is from St. Louis! It's about time we meet face to face! I'm so excited about getting to see her!

I will be visiting St. Louis in the future. I was supposed to go this year but with visiting my Dad in Georgia 5 times in a year and a half, we decided to visit the kids and grandkids on the west coast instead of visiting our house in St. Louis. I think the timing of visiting St. Louis will really be up to how many visits per year I have to go to Georgia

I have gently told DH that a visit to MSQC would be a wonderful bonus when we go to St. Louis. We have wonderful, new tenants in our house so the worry of the house has lessened a LOT.

KPH-I know exactly what you mean about parents and pack rats. My Dad had papers dating to the 60's. That man saved everything. So it was a shock when we moved them into assisted living. When I got home after that trip, I started cleaning out closets and filing cabinets and tossing things. Downsizing (except for my stash)!

Have a happy day everyone!

Bubby
October 19th, 2015, 10:00 AM
Morning All....I had to have the Girls at the groomer by 6am today. After I dropped them off I shopped for a few items at WalMart and back home by 7am. I plan to catch up the laundry and change our bed and vacuum the house while the Girls are gone. Little Olive is so traumatized by the vacuum that she wants to be in my bathtub while it runs. I guess she figures she's in a fort.

Yay for Jean and Vicky!!

It's quite chilly this morning. We had a light frost.

I bought an old quilt at a flea market yesterday. Will post pictures in a different thread.

Have a great day everyone.

SewnByBee
October 19th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Good Morning everyone,
It's COLD here in Al. Yall can stop sharring that stuff with us, we actually like warm weather, 😁.

I'm in a bit of football spirit, please, allow me to say how proud I am of our Alabama Crimson Tide Roll Tide !!!
Was trying to get past Halloween first before changing my avatar but I couldn't help myself.
LOVE my BAMA FOOTBALL.

Stay warm, stay safe and be blessed.💖119689

Sylvia H
October 19th, 2015, 10:08 AM
Good (chilly) morning to everyone! Brrrrr! It is right around freezing this morning, and I am still refusing to turn on the heat. The weather forecast says it will be warming up later today, and by tomorrow, we will be back to seasonal temperatures. I like to wait until at least Nov 1 to turn on my heat - if that is possible. JJ's breeder lives in the mountains of New Hampshire, and she had reported snow and sleet Saturday and Sunday. She has 4 dogs full time at her home, and no fenced yard. She takes them out individually, so she has to spend way too much time outdoors in that yucky weather.

I see a lot of activity going on with this thread. Yay for meeting forum friends! And Jean, I am totally with you on being with the kids as they go away to school. I wouldn't be staying home either. I lucked out, though, as both my children went to school in PA, and within easy driving distance.

Monique, keep us updated on that "new" machine. I have been enjoying piecing with Nellie (Bernina 350). It fit nicely into my sewing cabinet, although there are a few gaps between the machine and the edges of the cabinet. Frances (the Babylock) came home yesterday after a few days at the spa. I haven't put her back in the sewing room, but when I do, I hope she doesn't get upset about Nellie being in the cabinet!

Wishing everyone a great day.

songbird857
October 19th, 2015, 10:18 AM
Morning all!
Monique, congrats - can't wait to see her!
Eileen, I'm glad my dog is not an early riser ;)
Rivermomm and Jean... Have yourselves a blast!!
Sounds like everyone is pretty busy.. It's cold here too, gonna warm up the car for sure before I go anywhere :)
Agenda: sewing and dishes and sewing and cleaning and sewing and laundry ;)............
Have a great day everyone!

CraftyJnet
October 19th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Good morning everyone! Today is our 14th wedding anniversary. We have no plans yet, but dh took the day off work so that will be nice. Having lunch today with my neighbor and friend. She is 84 and her little dog had to be pts last month. She was absolutely devoted to her baby and is very lonely now. She is a lovely person, very kind and charming so I feel blessed to be able to spend this time with her, we've been having lunch once a week since it happened. She also invites me over for coffee at least once a week as well so that is nice. Hope everyone has a great day!

pcbatiks
October 19th, 2015, 10:41 AM
Good morning. Temp was 48 degrees here this morning.......chilly for us. So good to see May posting regularly again...we missed you. Sandy if I lived close enough I would come help you sort and pack.....someone's got to keep you working. :D

We were in Destin this past week. Had a great time. Got to get back in the routine now. I was checking the forum here and there........& checking on our Rhonda.

Off to sort books this morning and then home to "power watch" more Craftsy classes before time runs out. :D

Have a good day friends!

Grandma Nan
October 19th, 2015, 11:16 AM
Good morning all
Slept in this morning. My bed was so warm (on a chilly morning). Hubby was gone early this morning as he is working on the Federal Election we are having today so I just stayed there and dozed. He will be gone all day and most of the evening until the results are in for our constituency. He will be a scutineer (sp?) for the vote counting so once the count starts no one can leave the room until everything is counted. I have already voted but he really wanted to get involved this election.

Cool weather here today again and yesterday we drove to my daughter's in Petawawa Ontario and we drove through heavy snow flurries for part of the way. But on our way back it was all gone but still a reminder of what is to come.

Today is a me day. Getting my nails done the sewing for the rest of today. Hoping I can find some christmas border print on my way home. I would like to try the table runner from the video someone posted yesterday. I have several doctors appointments this week so I need to do some preps over the next few days. Actually will be happy when this week is over.

still sitting here in my jammies so I better get going for a shower or I'll still be here when Dave gets home.

Have a good day all.

dwil23
October 19th, 2015, 11:44 AM
Good Morning, all!

Made it back yesterday from our trip to Vegas. I woke up at 5:45 PT on Saturday morning and finally met my pillow at 9 PM ET Sunday night. Of course stopped to see new grandson on the way home and at my sister's house where the mechanic was working on my car that broke down just before we left. He fixed it, but said, it "is time" and he suggested I start thinking about replacing it. UGH. Doesn't he know if I had car payments that would put a serious dent in my fabric budget?

Anyway, sound like you all have been busy.... Monique that is a great machine! Jean, I hope you took pictures of all the beautiful scenery and that you will post some when you get home. You and Vicky are sure to have some fun on the way! Katrina - when I bought my house last year, the kids of the previous owners were burning all of her years of accumulation in a fire pit outside. Do you have anywhere - even a fireplace? Burning is much quicker than shredding! I have since kept a "burn box" under my desk that I put anything with names and acct #'s on and when the weather gets cooler and the kids want to have a bonfire - the box is kindling. Before a place to burn was an option, I would dump one litter box into a garbage bag, put my papers in, pour on a little water and then dump the other kitty litter box on top. CraftyJnet - Happy Anniversary!

Okay, so time to get up from here.....boy is this house a mess!! Lots to do first, but I have two sandwiched and waiting to be quilted and bound. I will take a break later and fill you in on my by "quilt shop tour" while I was gone. Let's just say for now the suitcase was a bit heavier on the return trip.

amartin24
October 19th, 2015, 12:21 PM
We returned late last night from our 8 day stay in Cape Hatteras, NC. When we left there yesterday morning, it was close to 70 (chilly for there). But, when we returned to NJ it was 32 degrees! Absolutely beautiful week at the beach with the family. DH got to fish and surf, girls enjoyed the beach, and I read 3 books and actually did some quilting.

SewnByBee
October 19th, 2015, 12:31 PM
I forgot to tell you I'm working up my Coca-Cola gift projects , PLEASE, look for my thread and help me finalize
the decisions, not so good under pressure, CuttIng it close. Help, a lady out😏.

aliaslaceygreen
October 19th, 2015, 12:43 PM
I have 20 minutes before it's not morning. I have had my second Cuppa and already have a beef stew in the crock pot. A shower and then PRESSING a bunch of old half square triangles that I am going to turn into something Christmassy...
A bit chilly here--had a frost warning the other day so brought in my jade plants that I am rooting from a cutting of my uncles outdoor hedge. NoNoNeko was very happy to have new things to dig up. Sigh. So, the soil has been covered with red pepper and he has found other things to get into trouble with. Success. :) Have a great day, all!

judimccl
October 19th, 2015, 02:24 PM
Congrats on your new machine :icon_wave:

JCY
October 19th, 2015, 03:43 PM
It's just past lunch time here. I had a busy morning filling out forms for MRDs from IRAs, laundry, a run to the Post Office. Picked up Chick-fil-A for my lunch on the way home. I'm working on the Herringbone quilt. I'm sewing blocks together, then the rows. I prefer to sew them into 4 patches, rather than the vertical rows like Jenny did on her tut. I laid out all the 6.5" HSTs first so I could arrange the colors/fabrics to my satisfaction before sewing anything together.

I found 1 yd. of Garden Medley (green) from a quilt store in OR; I'll be able to use that for the border for another WIP. Garden Medley was the first fabric I ever purchased from M*. It was a charm pack, plus 5.5" strips WOF. Of course, that fabric is "gone forever" from M*.

Trees & vegetation in our area are getting very colorful. It's a beautiful time of year. Leaves steadily are coming down now. The temps. are getting cooler, but no hint of snow--yet.

I hope everyone's week is off to a good start.

quiltingtrish
October 19th, 2015, 06:22 PM
No snow in Colorado yet? I think there is something wrong with that picture since we had some sleet yesterday. Ick. I did stay home from my Dad's and told him I will be down sometime tomorrow when I can rake the leaves up in 65 degree weather vs. 30 something with sleet, rain, and wind.

I will have you two gals beat on how much to shred or burn (I will burn) when it's time to do Dad's papers. His goes back to 1926 when he was born. He has kept EVERYTHING that has ever had a piece of paper attached to it and if something got mailed back, he has a photo copy of it all. It is kind of cool to see what things cost way back then, but then again, most of that stuff can be looked up on the internet. I'll probably keep my birth stuff and all that, but what my 2 sisters don't want will go up in ashes.

Big day for me and hubs today. Kid #1 moved out today down to the city with a friend. He is 27 so it was time to go, but with him and the other 2 gone, plus the dog that left a few weeks ago, it sure is quiet here. Seems like yesterday when they were all so little or we were running from one game field to another. All is well, life moves on.