PDA

View Full Version : A Night owl greeting

Lightwriter
October 19th, 2015, 03:41 AM
Sorry, can't think of any cute titles. Just checking in with everyone.

I will be honest I just need to sleep. My sleep deprivation level is getting serious. I can't take the meds due to crazy reactions, so am pretty much stuck in whatever cycle I find myself in. I find myself worrying way too much about what I can't control when I can't sleep. Guess it is too much time to think. In the middle of the night it is just me and the Ipad keeps me from going nuts. Bothers DH if I get up and about...and I am in a seperate room. At least I can have the lights on. I have considered handwork, but my eyes are tired at night and I just can't seem to see very well in the artifical light.

Don't mean to whine, just venting. There are so many serious problems out there people have I feel silly being upset about lack of sleep. Just wish I could turn off the worry gene and quit imagining the worst happening. There are a lot of people with serious health problems in our own little church right now just for a start.

Anyone remember the game you play in amusement parks where you bop the heads of the gophers as they pop up? Since May I feel like I have been bopping gopher heads...one stressful situation after another. I think I am simply tired.

Got a bunch of business phone calls to make Monday morning; maybe I can sew some after that. Badly need some "therapy time." Sewing gets my mind off some of the stuff I cannot control.

Prayers for all those people dealing with serious illness with themselves or their families. If I am tired, I know they are past exhaustion.

Thanks for listening. I just needed the venting tonight.

kimsophia
October 19th, 2015, 04:33 AM
Vent away! My unpredictable sleep cycle can mess me up if I have daytime appointments which I can't do due to exhaustion...DH had to take my friend to their doctor's appointment last week, as I was in no shape to drive and just had to sleep. At least it doesn't bother DH at all for me to be up and about at night. He wears earplugs even when I sleep nights.

I used to drive myself crazy worrying about things that I couldn't control. Finally I just got kind of mad and said, "God, this one is for YOU to handle. I'm turning it over to you!" And that lets me let go of it, whatever it is. I'm glad not to have the responsibility anymore. :P

Angela J
October 19th, 2015, 05:18 AM
You are not alone...I'm up also, but I have worked nights for 20 years and my sleep cycle is so out of whack that even when I am on vacation I can't sleep at night. My longest time awake is 34 hours. My mind wouldn't cut off even for my regular sleep time during the day. After years of trying different sleep meds and anti-depressants my doctor put me on a low dose seizure medication has a side benefit of calming anxiety. It works to make put me to sleep but doesn't keep me asleep. But I am glad not to keep looking at the clock trying to go to sleep. It helped me to stop worrying and making lists in my head and thinking about what I was going to cook or where did I put my so and so and all the other things that squeeze in when you are trying to go to sleep. Four hours is my max. I have an EEG for tomorrow. Have had all the sleep studies I will allow. I do put my worries in God's hands now. He was only waiting for me to ask. That helps a lot, but I think the meds got me calm and clear enough to know He was right there with me the whole time waiting. I do have a separate bedroom now and since I am a light sleeper my husband doesn't wake me up since he is retired and up during the day. When I retire I may move back but right now this is working. I am rambling now but take heart. You are not alone.

Carol336
October 19th, 2015, 06:08 AM
up at 4am.....one more time.

So sorry for you girls not being able to sleep.

I have sleep apena so sleep with a cpap machine. And I must say that since I've been using it (10 months) I've been getting much better sleep. Before I seldom achieved a deep sleep, but now I fall asleep easy, sleep very soundly and awake feeling really ready to hop out of bed and start my day. However - I wake mucho early most days - sometimes 3 but more likely 4 or 4:30. I do go to bed early - but I usually read until at least 10 and sometimes 11 or 12.

Now worry.....that's a whole other story. I try to turn it over to the Lord.....but sometimes it just creeps back in and will not go away. Ticks me off too - I will turn 71 in December and I hate to waste what precious time I have left on this earth worrying about things I simply cannot change. I love the concept of the 10 minute rule - give it 10 minutes of your time and put it away......now how to actually do that is the challenge.

I hope by now you are all snoozing and dreaming wonderful dreams

Granny Judy
October 19th, 2015, 06:14 AM
I, too, worked nights for many years and have trouble going to sleep / staying asleep.. Even tho it has been over 10 years I still get into a sleep routine that is crazy. A lot of this has to do with my thyroid. I was secreting too much, now it is not working. If you haven't had that thyroid check out, please do..

Am getting used to having a dog again.. Just rescued a Chiwauwau from a young lady who is moving into an apartment that doesn't allow animals. She had this little guy 8 years and it was a tearful separation. We are still getting used to each other and I just got kicked out of bed. He likes to sleep under the covers touching me. I'm afraid I'll roll over and hurt him (he's so tiny) and tonight he was especially needy and whining in his sleep. (2nd night away from his previous master)

So I got up to go to the bathroom and he took over my spot!! OK, I'm wide awake anyhow.. I'll move him over when I lay back down. We have a 10 am appointment with the vet today, and I'll have his toe nails trimmed and get an idea of how healthy this little one is.

Mom23
October 19th, 2015, 09:36 AM
I'm not sure if this is the cause but my mom had the same problem. Once she stopped using all electronic devices before going to bed she began sleeping better.

Can't Sleep? It Could Be Your iPad (http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/news/20120831/cant-sleep-could-be-ipad)