PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow I vote!

RiverMomm
October 18th, 2015, 03:28 PM
Tomorrow I vote for the first time in a federal election in Canada. A few differences- well, it's a Monday instead of a Tuesday and the voting starts at 9:30 AM.

I'm a tad nervous. Voting is voting, right?

Carlie Wolf
October 18th, 2015, 03:43 PM
Let us know who wins. Also is Harper up for re-election?

RiverMomm
October 18th, 2015, 04:04 PM
Let us know who wins. Also is Harper up for re-election?

Yes, Harper is still the leader of the Conservatives, so if they win, he will stay as Prime Minister.

We don't vote for the Prime Minister directly, but rather the party. There are three main parties and several more smaller parties in this national election. Each party has it's own leader. The leader of the winning party becomes Prime Minister.

Monique
October 18th, 2015, 06:26 PM
Vicky the way I look at it is if a person doesn't vote then a person has nothing to complain about. So yes, voting is the right thing to do.

I will be so glad when this election is done.

RiverMomm
October 18th, 2015, 07:19 PM
Vicky the way I look at it is if a person doesn't vote then a person has nothing to complain about. So yes, voting is the right thing to do.

I will be so glad when this election is done.

I guess because it is all so new to me, I have enjoyed watching the "Nanos" tracking polls throughout the campaign. Who is up, who is down, etc. And wow-the differences in some of the provinces! Having three main parties is new to me too. Figuring out which color goes with which party. All old hat for me in the States, but all so new to me here.

I will admit that we quit answering the phone to numbers we don't know or anything that was "unavailable" because of the politics. We got a lot of calls wanting us to answer a "short" poll on the election. Or those robo calls! Such fun!-not LOL

Carlie Wolf
October 18th, 2015, 07:42 PM
Who are the other candidate leaders? I thought I heard that a Treaudeau son (spelling?), was in the running??? Is that true?

K. McEuen
October 18th, 2015, 08:14 PM
Ladies, remember that politics is not a subject to be discussed here. Saying you are voting is fine, but further details on who is running, etc. is not allowed.

jjkaiser
October 18th, 2015, 08:18 PM
Agree. Thank you Karen.

RiverMomm
October 18th, 2015, 08:21 PM
Ladies, remember that politics is not a subject to be discussed here. Saying you are voting is fine, but further details on who is running, etc. is not allowed.

I am surprised that information about a different country isn't allowed.

So, in the interest of education and NOT pushing a party or candiate . . .

There are three main parties.

Conservatives (red). Prime Minister Harper is the leader (he has been Prime Minister for 9 years-no term limits)
Liberals (blue): Justine Trudeau is the leader (he is the son of a previous Prime Minister. I think there is only one Turdeau son, but I'm not sure of that)
NDP (orange): Thomas Mulcair is the leader

Then there are two much smaller parties
Green (green . . . well, duh). I am not sure who the leader is. This party is mostly on the west coast
Bloc (blue but a different blue than the liberals). This party is in Quebec

Apparently, this is one of the longest elections in Canadian history but so short compared to US elections.

Carlie Wolf
October 19th, 2015, 12:19 AM
Oh mannnnnnnnnnnnnn, I'm a trouble maker again!!! Sorry about that! :icon_hi:

Thanks Rivermomm. I moved down from Canada a few years ago so I was just curious :-)

Elaine21
October 19th, 2015, 12:33 AM
I'm voting tomorrow too! Like they say..."if you don't vote, you can't complain". I'm think I'm going to be complaining a lot no matter who wins! LOL

sewluvit
October 19th, 2015, 02:40 AM
We voted in the advance polls last weekend so we can relax and watch the results come in tomorrow night.

sewlucky
October 19th, 2015, 03:33 AM
Us Canadians are so polite, no political fights here ;). It has been an extremely long campaign, I don't know how Americans handle what seems like constant campaigning. I will vote tomorrow too. I always do, but nothing much ever seems to change ;)

Terri

Monique
October 19th, 2015, 07:51 AM
No we don't fight. It has been a very long election. Happy Voting Day!!! And yes we will complain just the same, but at least we voted.

RiverMomm
October 19th, 2015, 09:12 AM
We voted in the advance polls last weekend so we can relax and watch the results come in tomorrow night.

I thought about pre-voting but decided I wanted to experience voting on voting day. Next time, I will vote in advance.

I don't watch a lot of TV, so no watching the results for me.

RiverMomm
October 19th, 2015, 09:17 AM
It has been an extremely long campaign,
Terri

In case folks in the States are wondering what Canadians consider a long campaign, this election has been 78 days. No signs, or anything for this election until 78 days ago. Apparently, this is one of the longest campaigns in Canadian history. And here, I am thinking how short it is.

amartin24
October 19th, 2015, 09:52 AM
wow - only 78 days?! Thanks for the information - I learned something new. The USA is all about the drama! I like Canada's idea - get it done!

Lori63
October 19th, 2015, 11:44 AM
Good for everyone getting out to vote! I'm a firm believer that if you don't vote you don't get to complain!

sewlucky
October 20th, 2015, 01:29 AM
For those who may have been wondering the outcome, and who don't get Canadian updates in your news, Pierre Trudeau's eldest son, Justin Trudeau, has won a majority Liberal election to become Canada's 23rd Prime Minister. We shall see what the next 4 years brings us :) I don't argue politics, I'm just proud of my family for getting out and using our democratic voice :)

Terri

Monique
October 20th, 2015, 07:57 AM
We shall see, we shall see.

RiverMomm
October 20th, 2015, 09:15 AM
The election is over and most of the results are in. And I voted!

First, I have to admit I am directionally challenged (this will probably give Jean a moment of pause since I will be picking her up today and driving her around). Yesterday morning, I just couldn't wait any longer and went off to vote 5 minutes after the polls opened at 9:30 am. I knew where I was going. Or, I thought I did. I didn't. I thought the church was on the right in the small downtown section of my small town. Umm, no, I would find out that it was on the left but moving on. Yes, it would have been smart of me to do a trial run BEFORE I needed to go vote. I got almost to the end of the street and finally pulled over to turn on the maps on my phone. After 10 minutes of playing around, I just couldn't get the map to work. It never said "Turn left" or whatever. WHY?!?! sigh

Then I looked up. Right across the street was the church. With VOTE signs all around. As my mother used to say, if it was a snake, it would have bit me. (yeah, Jean, am I installing confidence in my ability of finding anything yet?!?). The map wouldn't work because I was already there. Ohhhh yeah, I am a rocket scientist!

I parked and went inside. Not a terrible line up. Canada sends out Voter cards ahead of the election which assigns a section for the voter. So, I knew, ok-fine, after asking, which table to go to. I gave them my voter card and D/L. They looked me up in a book and handed me my D/L and a little piece of paper. They didn't ask me to sign the book which is something they do in the US. The little piece of paper was about 5 inch square. Inside were 5 names and beside each name was a empty circle about the size of a dime. I was directed to a little table behind the first table that had a cardboard privacy shield. I put my X in the circle, folded the paper back up and then walked it back to the ladies at the table. I handed it them. They took a part of the ballot off that was designed to be removed and handed it back to me to place in a cardboard box on the table. That was it. I voted. No machines or hanging chads. ;)

Carlie Wolf
October 20th, 2015, 01:15 PM
I hate those voting machine. Good for Canada! I'm one of those little ole ladies that refuse to use those machines in the States LOL