PDA

View Full Version : JElly Roll Races!!!

mitzs
November 5th, 2011, 01:12 AM
This looks like a lot of fun and yet nerve rack at the same time. :icon_razz: I want to try one of these. Has anyone else done this?

http://blog.heirloomcreations.net/index.php?s=JElly+Roll+Races

Aprilisslowlylearntoquilt
November 5th, 2011, 02:39 AM
I am working on one of these right now, but I'm not in a race. I am using the *Flurry* jelly roll from MODA and it is turning out really pretty

luci4
November 5th, 2011, 04:30 PM
I made one a while back. a really fun quilt to make.

oldgurl4
November 5th, 2011, 04:48 PM
This One is On My LIST!
Oooohhh...I can't wait to try it.

Though the Jelly Roll I want to use is not available.
Still waiting for MSQC to carry it again. It's the Red and Black fabric...forgot the name(thanx! for the reminder)

Okay...~Kizzie~ I swear I'm On My Way to Recipe Land now......stage Right!

mitzs
November 5th, 2011, 05:07 PM
I am not sure I understand how they are doing it. lol. I feel lost.

Klasien
November 5th, 2011, 05:11 PM
I'm not sure either, looks great though.

My list of patterns to do is getting longer and longer and longer..........

Seems like a lot of fun making this quilt, so I will make it some day!

MRoy
November 5th, 2011, 05:43 PM
@ MITZS...you can find written instructions here... http://blog.heirloomcreations.net/?p=1897

InGodzHndz
November 5th, 2011, 05:53 PM
So simple but so cute! What a fast and easy way to make a baby quilt! :icon_happy:

Mrs.Sew&Sew
November 5th, 2011, 08:51 PM
No I have not done one but I want to. I want to get my guild to have a race and when we are finished we will donate the quilts!

CherylR
November 6th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Michelle,

This is what we did last month in our class. So much fun and such a quick way to get a charity top finished. Lots of laughs.

aka4512
November 9th, 2011, 02:26 AM
I haven't done this yet but I it inspires me to do it but not in a race because I know I will lose. :icon_razz:

phoots
November 9th, 2011, 03:28 AM
I watched the video and read the written instructions. I'm still not understanding how to do this. I think I'm lost at the part where you cut the strip. :0

November 9th, 2011, 08:28 AM
I finished the top, well the jelly roll part, looks really cute now, I just need to do the borders, going to start the other one, hopefully will be done for my 2 daughters for Christmas

Patrice
November 9th, 2011, 08:47 AM
I made one but didn't race. It was a lot of fun

Klasien
November 9th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I made one but didn't race. It was a lot of fun

This looks real nice!
I would love to make one as well, my next order will contain an other extra jellyroll...
One thing I still don't get is how do you get the coulors so nice in a row and blend so perfect?
I've watched the video over and over, and still don't get the real trick.......

Klasien

KiltedQuilter
November 9th, 2011, 08:55 AM
OOOH fab picture!

Bubby
November 9th, 2011, 09:49 AM
I made a jellyroll 1600 race quilt about as month ago from Soul Blossoms by Amy Butler. It turned out very tropical looking, but I plan to aplique a large flower in one corner before I quilt it. I didn't participate in a race, but working at my own speed the top took less than an hour. That hour does not include the time it took to sew all the strips together at a 45 degree angle - but that's a piece of cake. The most important thing to remember is you need to cut off the first 18 inches so your strips will be staggered when sewn together. This is a fun and easy project that makes a nice size lap quilt....Enjoy! Barb

November 9th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Klaisien, you cut the selveges off the ends and then just start sewing the strips together, you then have 1600 inches of strips, then you sew the two ends together, tight sides together then you have 800 inches, and 2 rows, you just keep doing this, the pattern works itself out...

Klasien
November 10th, 2011, 06:31 AM
Thanks Barb and Aprilisslowlylearntoquilt...........I got it, the 18 inches of and just putting all the sides together, the fabric does the rest with the coulors......I can't wait to try this one.
Too bad that we don't have things like jellyrolls and charmpacks here in Holland, so I have to wait till my next order at MSQC........But I'm gonna make this one that's for sure!

Thansk again!

Klasien

mitzs
November 10th, 2011, 09:34 AM
OK, someone needs to do a video on this. I just can not picture that in my head at all. If they are all sewn togather in one big strip. I understand your making a loop when you sew those right sides togather and then I am lost.

Kizzie
November 10th, 2011, 10:09 AM
hey mitzs try this

Sew all jelly roll strips together....
cut off 18 inches from one end
Then fold that big long strip back onto itself and along the length side sew a 1/4 inch seam.... then where there is the fold in the material... CUT continue sewing till your seam is complete.
if you press this open you iwll then have 2 long strips.... (Dotted line is where you have just recently sewn)
Again fold back onto itself right sides together then on the length side sew another 1/4 inch seam.... cut the folded bend part then finish the seam and then press open.... there will now be 4 in a row...(again dotted line is where you have just recently sewn)

Then again fold the 4 strips back onto it self and on the length side sew another 1/4 inch seam then cut the folded part and press and open you will have this...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

and keep going and going till you like the length of your quilt :)

mitzs
November 10th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Kizzie you rock! Thanks hun, I've copy and pasted this into a word doc, so I have it when I need it. :)

Patrice
November 10th, 2011, 03:28 PM
OK, someone needs to do a video on this. I just can not picture that in my head at all. If they are all sewn togather in one big strip. I understand your making a loop when you sew those right sides togather and then I am lost.
here is the video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EomX7t7to_o

Klasien
November 12th, 2011, 03:40 PM
I made a quilttop out of a jellroll and a charmpack, like Jenny did in the tutorial I was planning to make a patchwork border. but then I started thinking about this pattern (that I had a hard time to figure out) so I made a tabletopper out my leftovers jellyroll.
So now it's done and I wanted to ask how I go from here.
I plan giving this one to my mom, it fits perfect in her dinningroom, but I don't no how to finish this. How to quilt it etc.
My guess is that it should not become to thick. Since I started quilting not so long ago I have no idea how to handle this.

Here is the block and the tabletopper made from the leftovers..........hope you can help me!

Klasien

janluna
November 12th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I like your quilts! You could use just some thin flannel instead of batting on the table topper. That way it won't be really thick and should lay nicely on the table. I like how the colors came together on all of your things. That's a really pretty jellyroll. Which one is it? I love the colors.
My friend doesn't use anything between her table toppers. She just puts a backing on it. And it also lays very nice. You can quilt it by hand or machine. You could try stitching in the ditch on the squares. I'm not sure on the other. Someone with more experience than me will help, I'm sure. Hugs, Jan L.

Klasien
November 12th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Hi Jan,

Thanks for the tips and compliments.
The jellyroll I used is Prayer Flag Jellyroll by April Cornell for Moda Fabrics.
I hope this will turn out nice, as I wrote I'm planning to give this one to my mom, so it has to be pefect....;)

Klasien