PDA

View Full Version : Night owl greeting

Lightwriter
October 17th, 2015, 01:40 AM
Another night awake. Supposed to be chilly today. Really dread colder weather. I ache enough already.

DD came through...she had been put on back order for the Row x Row material from NYC. It finally came in and she is sending it to me. It is a neat panel of the iconic buildings in the city. I hope I can get the Row x Row done one day. Some of the rows are really beyond my skill level and are biting my butt. It may have to go to the UFO pile for awhile.

Have a guild challenge to do before January...it will be a small wallhanging and the embroidery is done. My SIL passed away suddenly this summer and when we cleaned out her house we found a Drunkard's Path quilt she had started for her son. It was only about enough for a good centerpiece. I don't feel qualified to finish it as is, but told the family I would use it as centerpiece and finish it as a fairly simple quilt. It would show off what she did and all the material is there. I need to work on that some and see what happens with it. Finishing by Christmas is doubtful, but maybe first of the year if I can get back to sewing room. Wish me luck, think this project will end up being used by her grandson.

Happy Saturday!

Monique
October 17th, 2015, 01:48 AM
Ugh can't sleep and I have to work today. Oye as Blondie would say.

stationarymom
October 17th, 2015, 02:15 AM
It's a cold night here tonight we're supposed to drop to the 30's.I talked to my sister today and she told me her dog has a brain tumor that is inoperable.This is really sad because her and her kids are very attached,I just hope she does what is best for the dog when it is necessary.I want to go to a craft show or something similar this weekend but I don't know where any are right now.

toggpine
October 17th, 2015, 02:52 AM
I started working on cleaning the treadle sewing machine. I have the bobbin winder and the belt cover cleaned. The body will take some more work, but I am done for the night.
I need to go find something to eat. The Costco hotdog I had at 1 is about gone. Everyone kind of ate as they felt like it tonight. I was so engrossed with getting all of the parts back together in the right places, I forgot to eat. Now the tummy has a rumbly and I don't think it will be ignored until morning.
Maybe a grilled cheese....
Catch you all later!

kimsophia
October 17th, 2015, 02:55 AM
We have a freeze warning here in eastern Iowa. I put a pot and a blanket over my mum plant, not the mums are tender vegetation but it's a new planting so I thought I'd baby it.

I baked a couple loaves of egg bread. As I was trying to remove one loaf from the pan I dropped one corner of the glass loaf pan which slipped and hit the stove top. Nothing broke but the top on the loaf did get partially caved in when it hit a frying pan. It still tastes okay, though! :)

Bought another big stack of 88 cent books at Goodwill. I donate them to a "little library" when I'm done with them Little Free Library | Take a Book ? Return a Book (http://littlefreelibrary.org/)
One of the books I got was "Christmas with Southern Living 2004". It's full of decorating and food ideas. Actually a lot of the decorating ideas involve food: fruit, specifically. They show oranges, apples, lemons, limes, kumquats, pineapple, cranberries and coffee beans used in wreaths and floral displays. I can't quite get behind the idea of stabbing wire through fruit to put it in floral foam or tie it to evergreen swags...heaping it up prettily in a bowl is one thing but spoiling it for decoration seems too decadent to me. The table centerpieces in the photographs would look at home in the Biltmore. To me the book seems like an artifact from the Gilded Age. Very curious! :)

Midge
October 17th, 2015, 02:58 AM
@/@ whooo else can't sleep? We are getting the chilly weather too this weekend. I need to finish picking all the herbs to make composed butter and freeze some in olive oil cubes for yummy winter meals. This year living again in a house with a yard I have enjoyed being able to walk outside every day and pick fresh tomatoes, peppers, beans and herbs. I'm feeling pretty spoiled after years of balcony gardens made wimpy by having limited hours of direct sunlight. I've started my Christmas quilt after making some test blocks and figuring out the pattern. Cut out three blocks to start with as the designer advised waiting to cut out all the FQs until you see how the blocks are turning out. Guess if she put that in the pattern directions I should listen. I have a few works in progress since I like to switch off what I'm doing to stave off getting bored with a project and shelving it entirely. Nothing close to completion, though. I've been doing a lot of running here and there and while I'm having fun, I'm not getting a lot done. Going to try to sleep again. Have a great Saturday everyone!

bubba
October 17th, 2015, 04:52 AM
I'm just headed off to bed. Last night I could not sleep and laid awake for a bit. Shortly before bed, I had been on another forum and somebody posted about the rivet press they had just gotten and again I wished I had one. Well, as I tried to fall asleep, a light went off in my brain and I hopped out of bed! About 15 years ago, I bought one for scrapbooking...it did grommets and holes (which I bought it for, but had never even used it!!) and rivets. Miraculously, I remembered the safe spot I had placed it in and lo and behold, it was still there!!

I got out the box and started looking, and yes, just what I've been wanting all these months! Then I saw six packs of photos from Costco, so of course I had to look at those too! I found it quite strange to find pictures from 2001 when MM and I visited Washington DC. There were pictures of all the monuments and the Viet Nam wall and the Korean War soldiers. Most of them were from the Police Memorial. There were several pictures of the name of one of my deputies who had been killed in 1995, on October 16th, to be exact. That was the date I was looking at the pictures on! Brought back a flood of memories of an awful time in my life. Something a dispatcher never, ever wants to hear on the air. The only reason I did not quit was because there was nothing I had done to cause this to happen. It was a high risk warrant and they were so secretive about it that they had not even told us they were already serving it. We still thought they were staged several blocks away. So John, here's to you.

Andrea F
October 17th, 2015, 06:21 AM
Good morning! I'm already at the second coffee. I was wiped out by a migraine completely on Thursday and most of yesterday and am feeling better today so I can hit the sewing room again. Thomas and the boys are going to do the errands in a few minutes and I've got to catch up on laundry today. Fall break is over and the boys have to go back to school on Monday. Pascal still didn't find an appartment so he has to get up really early to go by train to his new university. I kind of hope he finds a place to live there soon, I'm not really sure about that yet, although I really feel bad for him about the long way.

I hope everybody found some sleep, something to eat or something really nice to dream about :) Have a wonderful Saturday!

CraftyJnet
October 17th, 2015, 06:36 AM
Good morning/evening! I was sound asleep and then one of my dogs got sick. Cleaned everything up but now I am wide awake. I made a quilt top for a table topper today. It is very simple but I figured it out from the picture so I am proud of myself. It is all in fall colors so it looks nice. Maybe I will make another since I am so awake! Hope you all are having a good night's rest or a pleasant morning.

Claire Hallman
October 17th, 2015, 02:54 PM
I have cancelled my Southern Living subscription since they have changed so drastically since Southern Progress sold out to Time Warner. I love the sumptuousness of masses of fruit and flowers. If you don't want to pierce the fruit with a pick you can always wrap it in old nylon stockings and then attach the pick to the stocking.
You might be able to tell I was born and raised in the South.:D