PDA

View Full Version : Guilty pleasure, or really gross food

pharris123
October 16th, 2015, 09:50 PM
Today I was at the grocery store and stumbled upon tamales in a can. Haven't eaten them in over 35 years. Bought them. Ate them. Loved them.

Gross, right? What's yours? I might just eat that, too.

Hulamoon
October 16th, 2015, 10:19 PM
I remember those. Mine isn't too strange, but I know a lot of people don't like them. Anchovies. Great in salad dressings and pasta.

Snip Snip
October 16th, 2015, 10:27 PM
That's the only way I've ever had tamales. I hear they are very good when made authentically Mexican.

Hulamoon
October 16th, 2015, 10:35 PM
That's the only way I've ever had tamales. I hear they are very good when made authentically Mexican.

My step dd is half Mexican and when Christmas rolls around all the family makes tamales. It's not hard jjust a little time consuming. You can get some really good ones at Costco, chicken and meat.

mamo69
October 16th, 2015, 10:59 PM
Tamales in a can??? :( Being Native Texan (South Texas) there is NO way I would even consider this. Chili and Tamales is a Christmas Eve tradition (would hate to see what would happen if anyone even suggested canned tamales!)

Hulamoon
October 16th, 2015, 11:09 PM
Okay, enough of tamales. Carry on :)

jjkaiser
October 16th, 2015, 11:16 PM
I don't like Mexican food. Except Margaritas.

meliswan
October 16th, 2015, 11:18 PM
Tamales in a can??? :( Being Native Texan (South Texas) there is NO way I would even consider this. Chili and Tamales is a Christmas Eve tradition (would hate to see what would happen if anyone even suggested canned tamales!)

I am another native Texan here (north). I think if my family found out I had tamales in a can I would not be allowed back in the state!!! Mexican food for Christmas dinner is a tradition in my family also. My gross food is the canned nacho cheese. I can't hardly go to any of my sons ball games with out hitting the concession stand for some nachos! I'm sure my insides glow bright orange from that cheese!

YellowCockatiel
October 16th, 2015, 11:21 PM
Never had tamales from a can; but do like tamales. Love margaritas.

Now I'm hungry.....and thirsty.

MichelleRN
October 16th, 2015, 11:39 PM
I drink the juice from the pickle jar, not all of it but at least some of it.

I don't know what a tamale is.

MaryD
October 16th, 2015, 11:45 PM
I had to google 'tamales'.

Blue cheese hits my weak spot - the smellier, the better.

Jean Sewing Machine
October 16th, 2015, 11:54 PM
I've eaten canned tamales and those in a jar. Not too bad if you can't get homemade ones!

tamsterg7
October 17th, 2015, 12:05 AM
Well, mine is really gross - batter dipped deep fried chicken gizzards. I know, totally gross right?! There is only one place a few towns over that makes them. My jaws hurt after gnawing them and I drink 5 gallons of water the rest of the night from the salt. Good thing I don't do it very often!

SallyO'Sews
October 17th, 2015, 12:08 AM
Chicken gizzards? Eeeww. Sorry, but you're right - that is gross.
I don't really eat a lot of out-there food. My DD came home from Korea and made kimchi for us, and poor baby, nobody liked it!

RiverMomm
October 17th, 2015, 12:14 AM
Wow, I have't had tamales in a can since I was a teenager. I didn't even know they were still available.

My secret craving is boiled peanuts, but they are truly an acquired taste. My husband HATES them and one of my sons loves them :) While I was growing up in Georgia, we would drive to the coast for our vacations and would ALWAYS stop to buy a bag of boiled peanuts. I now occasionally buy them in the cans on my shopping trips to the States. So far, I haven't found grits or canned boiled peanuts in Canada. I don't see that changing. LOL

Oh, and I love batter dipped deep fried chicken gizzards too.

auntiemern
October 17th, 2015, 12:31 AM
I love good 'real' tamales....and get them when we go out to eat. That being said, I do like canned tamales covered in chili and cheese. But then I also like sardines in mustard sauce. That is about as gross as I can get, lol.

pcbatiks
October 17th, 2015, 12:55 AM
Chewy fried chicken gizzards.......eeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww........you'l l are making me queasy! :D

I'm going to have to say gross on canned tamales too! I didn't even know they came in a can.

Hulamoon
October 17th, 2015, 12:56 AM
I love kimchi! We have a boiled peanut here, but you buy it fresh. They sell it in the beer isle. I do like one thing that is an aquired,taste, Dried cuttle fish. A sweetner is added and it makes your breath really stinky.

Jewel
October 17th, 2015, 01:51 AM
I live in New Mexico and I had never heard of canned tamales.....You can find homemade fresh ones around here daily chicken & green chili or pork & red chili.

Jewel

Hulamoon
October 17th, 2015, 02:07 AM
The origin of canned tamales is from 1900.

https://thehistoricfoodie.wordpress.com/tag/canned-tamales/

bubba
October 17th, 2015, 02:10 AM
Today I was at the grocery store and stumbled upon tamales in a can. Haven't eaten them in over 35 years. Bought them. Ate them. Loved them.

I LOVE THOSE THINGS!!!!! I have three cans in my cupboard right now! I always buy the Hormel ones, but last trip to the store, I saw the Nalleys brand so bought that. Nalleys used to be based about two miles from our home, and that is why I tried them. Since I have already done the taste test, you won't have to....they are not very good! Sticking with Hormel!

Also in my cupboard is Spaghetti-o's!! I eat them cold, right from the can. I eat canned salmon the same way!

bubba
October 17th, 2015, 02:12 AM
Well, mine is really gross - batter dipped deep fried chicken gizzards. I know, totally gross right?! There is only one place a few towns over that makes them. My jaws hurt after gnawing them and I drink 5 gallons of water the rest of the night from the salt. Good thing I don't do it very often!

MM loves those things!

bubba
October 17th, 2015, 02:15 AM
Wow, I have't had tamales in a can since I was a teenager. I didn't even know they were still available.

My secret craving is boiled peanuts, but they are truly an acquired taste. My husband HATES them and one of my sons loves them :) While I was growing up in Georgia, we would drive to the coast for our vacations and would ALWAYS stop to buy a bag of boiled peanuts. I now occasionally buy them in the cans on my shopping trips to the States. So far, I haven't found grits or canned boiled peanuts in Canada. I don't see that changing. LOL

Oh, and I love batter dipped deep fried chicken gizzards too.

I have a friend from Georgia and she was always talking about boiled peanuts! She likes to put them in Coca-Cola!

snippet
October 17th, 2015, 04:28 AM
I'm with you. There is no way I'd suggest eating tamales from a can! I've never seen canned tamales.

I don't know what my gross food is; I eat alot of weird things. Pickled pigs feet used to be my favorite when i was a kid but I haven't eaten much lately. I love okra - fried and sateed with tomatoes, onions and garlic. It can be slimey. Love raw oysters, grilled squid. I love katsu curry too, but it's not gross, it just smells.

Carol336
October 17th, 2015, 07:17 AM
I'm with you. There is no way I'd suggest eating tamales from a can! I've never seen canned tamales.

I don't know what my gross food is; I eat alot of weird things. Pickled pigs feet used to be my favorite when i was a kid but I haven't eaten much lately. I love okra - fried and sateed with tomatoes, onions and garlic. It can be slimey. Love raw oysters, grilled squid. I love katsu curry too, but it's not gross, it just smells.

Katsu???????

Give me a box of velveeta cheese and I'm in hog heaven

pharris123
October 17th, 2015, 08:13 AM
I don't know about y'all, but this thread is making me really hungry. I really haven't turned up my nose at anything that's been listed! I guess I am a gross food maven.

Also love how many of these things are particularly southern - boiled peanuts, I miss them daily here in Cleveland. Okra? give it to me any way at all. Fried chicken gizzards? Um, YEAH, but you could probably deep-fry cardboard and I'd find it really tasty.

And I just discovered kimchee. It's delicious.

shirleyknot
October 17th, 2015, 08:47 AM
Canned sardines, in water..........

Marta
October 17th, 2015, 08:59 AM
When my Mom was off with her Girl Scout troop, Dad would make lunch. Canned tammales for him and canned Raviolis for me. I tried the canned stuff as an adult and two bites was too much. Now the candy I loved as a child still goes down.

catmama635
October 17th, 2015, 10:10 AM
Canned tamales, yum! Ditto on the kimchee! I like SPAM once in awhile and fried bologna sandwiches.

Bubby
October 17th, 2015, 10:19 AM
I love authentic Mexican food and homemade tamales are right up there near the top. My Dad used to eat the ones from the can. I couldn't do it.

Sandy Navas
October 17th, 2015, 10:23 AM
Trying to think of something gross that I eat - but everything that comes through my mind isn't gross to me . . . I'll eat anything mentioned above and love it. Love me some liver and onions. We eat a lot of anchovies. Tamales are best if they are homemade like the ones from Colombia - much different than Mexican tamales, though we love those a lot and usually I buy the frozen ones from South Texas. Love me some kimchee, and love, love, love stinky cheese.

But you might think it strange that I love cottage cheese with cold Van Camps Pork 'n' Beans!!

MRoy
October 17th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Fried bologna or spam sandwiches are good! So is canned salmon with hot sauce and crackers. Fried chicken gizzards are too tough for me, but I love fried chicken livers. I like fried green tomatoes too. No, I don't eat everything fried, I leave that to DH! LOL!

Forgot to add that I love cheese too! Government cheese is the best, but what I get at the Amish market is a close second.

alliek
October 17th, 2015, 02:32 PM
You guys make me laugh! Thanks for this post. Hmmmm canned tamales, fried chicken gizzards,sardines,anchovies, boiled peanuts. WE certainly aren't a boring group!!!!:icon_bah::icon_rofl:

Hulamoon
October 17th, 2015, 02:46 PM
But you might think it strange that I love cottage cheese with cold Van Camps Pork 'n' Beans!!
When my dad took me to vist grandma, she alway's served cottage cheese with canned pineapples. My dad would give me milk and and an orange. Do you know what these combinations to to your stomach?

ilive2craft2
October 17th, 2015, 02:53 PM
Anyone else eaten pickled bologna? My brother and I used to fight over it, including the juice. Bought it again a few years ago and my brother and I were the only ones to eat it....

bubba
October 17th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Our youngest daughter and oldest grandson used to fight over the chunks of fat that would be in the pork and beans. Neither were happy when they quit putting it in the cans!

Oh yes.....sardines in water and smoked oysters on saltine crackers!!! As a kid, my mom used to take bananas, cut them in half, then in quarters (like carrot sticks), smother them in mayo and roll them in crushed bran flakes. It was delicious! I've been thinking about those lately but have not chanced it.....

Hulamoon
October 17th, 2015, 03:10 PM
Speaking of moms. Mine would make sugar sandwiches with wonder bread. I started eating jello out of a box like pixie sticks. I blame that on her.

grandma nurse
October 17th, 2015, 07:37 PM
I like tamales in a can better then real home made ones. I serve them about once a year.
Vienna Sausages always look good and I use to get hungry for them and after eating one that is enough.

snippet
October 17th, 2015, 08:25 PM
I like vienna sausages. I eat them with olives - a cheapo antipasto! lol

I love fried spam in mac & cheese.

One gross out food my family makes is a sweet potatoes & sardine salad. It also has pickles in it too. Really surprising stuff that is an acquired taste. It's kind of an initiation food for new boyfriends/spouses. The kids love to watch the new person eat it.

carolynrae
October 17th, 2015, 08:50 PM
I like Vienna Sausages also, I smash them, add mayo and relish. Tastes a lot like ham salad. I also love fried gizzards. My family came from Indiana they were farm people and used everything up. My grandmother loved chicken feet, pig brains and scrambled eggs, pickled pigs feet. I can do the pickled pigs feet but not the brains and eggs. :)

MaryD
October 17th, 2015, 09:22 PM
I love crumbed sheep's brains.

When I was nursing, if you weren't down for breakfast on the dot you would only have a choice of brains or nothing. I developd a real love for them.

Strangely, I couldn't pass that passion on to my children.

Angelia
October 18th, 2015, 02:02 AM
I think my strangest food is hot tomato soup with a scoop of cottage cheese in it--looks awful, but it tastes wonderful.

sewluvit
October 18th, 2015, 02:30 AM
When my dad took me to vist grandma, she alway's served cottage cheese with canned pineapples. My dad would give me milk and and an orange. Do you know what these combinations to to your stomach?

I really like cottage cheese with canned pineapple and it does kind of curdle lol

sewluvit
October 18th, 2015, 02:35 AM
I think smoked oysters are the most disgusting of all. I have tried to eat them but gag when I get them close to my mouth.

Splinter
October 18th, 2015, 02:57 AM
Cottage cheese and tomato-based sauces are good friends in my kitchen. My cottage cheese also hangs out with fruits, preserves, and gelatins. My friends say that I eat a lot of unconventional combinations of foods. Some examples are

blackberry preserves on meatloaf
making a sundae with leftover chili (i prefer this with vanilla ice-cream)
sharp cheddar cheese cubes dipped in cake frosting
saltines dipped in applesauce
oreos topped with cheese whiz

bubba
October 18th, 2015, 03:03 AM
My dad would always have sliced cheddar cheese on his apple pie....yuck! I love butter on graham crackers...too bad I'm out of graham crackers!

pharris123
October 18th, 2015, 09:34 AM
Splinter wins for weird food combo. Now I remember peanut butter, bacon and mustard sammiches from my childhood. How did I ever come up with that combo?

MayinJerset
October 18th, 2015, 10:08 AM
Bubba, I'm with you for buttered grahams. A mug of hot tea and some buttered graham cracker sandwiches is one of my "feel better" foods. I break the cracker sandwich into 4 pieces and one by one give them a quick dunk in the tea - have to be quick about the dunk so the grahams don't get too soft and fall into the tea.

catmama635
October 18th, 2015, 11:13 AM
Not for me, but I remember my mom and dad liked head cheese, also pickled herring in cream sauce (which my dad would share with our cat!).

Cool Breeze Quilter
October 18th, 2015, 12:05 PM

I like canned deviled ham and also the chicken one they make. It isn't something I get often but it tastes so darn good.

Angelia
October 18th, 2015, 12:44 PM
Not for me, but I remember my mom and dad liked head cheese, also pickled herring in cream sauce (which my dad would share with our cat!).

My husband and his son are making head cheese today!

Midge
October 18th, 2015, 01:24 PM
Remembered strange foods from childhood that are no longer on the menu: head cheese and souse (made at home by Grandma) pickled pigs feet, yes to cottage cheese and pineapple salads, fried bologna and Hungarian pepper sandwiches with brown mustard. Oh. And the ever present brains and eggs. Gag.

Love me some kimchi, homemade is best! But then so is homemade sauerkraut the best. One of my fave sandwiches is peanut butter with dill pickles. Purists eat this with homemade garlic dills, sliced thinly on the sandwich. However, in a pinch Vlasic stackers work just fine. Yum.

Plentziana
October 18th, 2015, 01:55 PM
I saw this thread and read all your comments and I must say Ive never eaten those things that you like because im my country not all such products are but we also have dishes that surely many of you will seen disgusting but it did we love as we put snails in a sauce of onion and a sauce of red peppers to dry them after the wind and put them in water and remove them meat, cooked cuttlebone that also put his ink so the salsa is black, much attention visitors but once you taste like much as in each country there are different things but as we have leamed to eat when we were small we like and brings back memories

snippet
October 18th, 2015, 05:06 PM
Yes Plentziana, you have some weird dishes! But I would love to spend time in Spain and try your food and lifestyle.

auntiemern
October 18th, 2015, 07:00 PM
I have yet to figure out of some of ya'all, get some of these things past your eyes and nose. My dad ate head cheese and brains. Mom and dad both ate liver and onions. None of us kids did. I can do the occasional vienna sausage, and potted meat, but haven't had either in a while. Haven't had Spam in a long time either. We grew up on fried bologna sandwiches. I guess so much of it is regional. Give me muscle meats only, no innards. Never thought of my self as a picky eater, but not real adventurous either. I only know there are several things in this thread that I would not eat if someone paid me, lol.

Sandy Navas
October 18th, 2015, 07:11 PM
Okay - I've been there and tried just about everything. Some of it I dearly love and would eat again. But, the weirdest thing I ever had and would never eat again was a sea cucumber:

I've eaten jelly fish, scuttle fish, squid, octopus, brains, sweetbreads, snails, liver, tripe, kidney, and all kinds of things, but don't try to get the sea cucumber by me again.

Hulamoon
October 18th, 2015, 07:23 PM
There was a story on the news that sea cucumber was getting over harvested. Someone loves it.

When I was in grade school I threw up tomato soup at school. I didn't touch it all my life after that. So tomato soup and cottage cheese gave me a little yuck. lol

pharris123
October 18th, 2015, 07:57 PM
That sea cucumber looks like a space alien on fine china.

pcbatiks
October 18th, 2015, 08:00 PM
Trying to think of something gross that I eat - but everything that comes through my mind isn't gross to me . . . I'll eat anything mentioned above and love it. Love me some liver and onions. We eat a lot of anchovies. Tamales are best if they are homemade like the ones from Colombia - much different than Mexican tamales, though we love those a lot and usually I buy the frozen ones from South Texas. Love me some kimchee, and love, love, love stinky cheese.

Oh Sandy, I wish you could have seen my husbands face when I read the cottage cheese & pork & beans combo to him! It was hysterical....that and Pat fighting over the fat chunks really grossed us both out!

Now I have to tell him about crumbled sheep brain.......wowee.........that's more than a little gross sounding!

I guess I am boring.....the weirdest food combo I can think of that I have eaten is toast with chocolate pudding spread on top. I learned that one from cousins when we were kids.

Oysters in my expert opinion has got to one of THE MOST DISGUSTING foods on the planet! I've only eaten one once. My family was in a seafood restaurant when I was in jr high. I had a cup of seafood gumbo & the room was dimly lit. I took a bite of the gumbo & bit into something rubbery that sent chills up my back! It was an oyster. I started to spit it out in my napkin and my parents nearly had a fit. They told me I had to eat it. So I chewed & chewed & chewed & and it got bigger & bigger & grew & grew while I gagged & gagged and gulped tea trying to wash it down! I still complain a out that if oysters are mentioned. It gives me the "willies" just thinking about it!

Sandy Navas
October 18th, 2015, 08:44 PM
That sea cucumber looks like a space alien on fine china.

and it tasted like I imagine a wad of wet tissue would taste . . . and was about the texture of (maybe I shouldn't post what came to mind).

bubba
October 18th, 2015, 09:49 PM
Believe me, Pat was not fighting over the fat!!!! Her children were............blech!!!!!!!!!

Reminded me of years ago I was making MM oyster stew. It does not cross my lips. I got the great idea of offering the kids $20 if they would eat a raw one. Well, the oldest refused but the youngest, she was probably 11 or so, said she would do it. I have, but I swallowed it w/out chewing. She popped it in her mouth and started chewing before I could tell her to just swallow it. She knew she would not get $20 if she spit it out and she finally gagged it down. A short time later her aunt stopped by and said she was on her way to get Garth Brooks tickets and they were $20 each (tells you how long ago it was!), did either of the girls want one? Youngest pipes up that she did....my mom owes me $20!!! So, she got to see her idol at the time, but I doubt she has ever eaten another oyster!

TMP
October 18th, 2015, 09:53 PM
Well being from the south, a burnt fried baloney sandwiches with mustard. Battered fried pork" liver (its got to be pork) with tons of onions and a spoon of bacon grease. I haven't had liver in years. Has anyone ever had fried grits? Mama used to take cold grits cut them in rectangle shapes and fry them.

TMP
October 18th, 2015, 09:59 PM
I just went back and read some of the early post. Oh Sandy, you actually ate that thing . It looks alive. Did you eat more than one?

Iris Girl
October 19th, 2015, 07:44 AM
I have eaten pickled pigs feet as a kid. Wouldn't touch them now! No innards here either. Mom loved fried liver and onions...no way here. Fried spam and bologna is good, fried bologna and mayo sandwich with lettuce. Potted meat meh . Pickle juice drank it all the time as a kid. Mom would always say your gonna thin your blood out...still drink it occasionally, one son also loves it, hubby just says go get the vinegar bottle. I don't do mushrooms unless they are in stroganoff

judimccl
October 19th, 2015, 02:20 PM
As much as this Southern girl loves grits, I will have to try the fried grits for sure, especially in bacon grease. My doctor would have a fit lol :icon_wave:

judimccl
October 19th, 2015, 02:21 PM
Loved fried liver with lots of onions, and definitely yes to the spam. Following this thread is definitely making me hungry! :icon_hi:

Sandy Navas
October 19th, 2015, 03:01 PM
Mom always made extra grits and then put them in a loaf pan, chilled, sliced and fried for breakfast with some fat back and maple syrup (or often caramelized sugar syrup she made herself).

Hulamoon
October 19th, 2015, 03:04 PM
Mom always made extra grits and then put them in a loaf pan, chilled, sliced and fried for breakfast with some fat back and maple syrup (or often caramelized sugar syrup she made herself).

Would that be like the polenta they sell wrapped in plastic? I had grits as a kid but haven't tried polenta yet.

shirleyknot
October 19th, 2015, 04:56 PM
Pretty similar, Lorie. I don't eat grits, but I love hominy. I like fried calves liver with as little oil as possible, and lots of sauteed onions. Spam is iffy, since I worked for those people and know what goes in the can (including Randy's right thumb). I still like pickled pigs feet. Pickled pork hocks is better; more meat. Pickle juice is actually good for you. Baloney, fried or otherwise, is just nasty. I can barely stand hot dogs. LOTS of mustard, please. Grew up fighting for the oysters in mom's oyster soup. Mostly it was milk and crackers. And any fat on any meat can go to any who wants it. I don't!

shirleyknot
October 19th, 2015, 05:00 PM

I love gizzards, but boiled, so they are nice and tender.

Quiltfreestyle
October 19th, 2015, 05:00 PM
Speaking of moms. Mine would make sugar sandwiches with wonder bread. I started eating jello out of a box like pixie sticks. I blame that on her.

My mom used to make that for us too, mostly because we didn't have much money & I think it was because she couldn't afford candy . This was a sweet alternative.
Here in Los Angeles we have just about every ethnic food in the world available fresh made. My neighbor & her sisters make tamales every Christmas & God bless her, she always gives us a plate full. I look forward to it all year..

I like the pickle juice too he hehe

shirleyknot
October 19th, 2015, 05:03 PM

I like my cottage cheese with chopped onion, but I'm not adverse to a scoop of the beans on the side.........

ceiliam
October 19th, 2015, 05:28 PM
Ok guys you scare me with these combos , just call me super picky

bubba
October 19th, 2015, 05:50 PM

OMG!!!! Nothing is better than fried corn meal mush!!!! And yes, it is the stuff that is in the tube shape in the stores. Most excellent with real maple syrup. Now my mouth is watering!!!

Doloris
October 19th, 2015, 05:53 PM
OMG!!!! Nothing is better than fried corn meal mush!!!! And yes, it is the stuff that is in the tube shape in the stores. Most excellent with real maple syrup. Now my mouth is watering!!!

love fried mush!!!! Can get it at Bob Evans around here. DH doesn't like it so I don't buy or make it just for me, so we go out for breakfast and I get it there sometimes

Doloris
October 19th, 2015, 05:55 PM

I remember sugar syrup and loved it. Sugar and water cooked on the stove. Yummy over mush

shirleyknot
October 19th, 2015, 06:00 PM
I like fresh cornmeal mush for breakfast, with a little maple syrup and real butter. Fried I'll pass on.

shirleyknot
October 19th, 2015, 06:00 PM
Oh, or sorgum!

auntiemern
October 20th, 2015, 01:04 AM
Ok...I had to do it....Canned tamales smothered in chili and shredded cheddar....you all can take the blame, lol.

Simply Quilting
October 20th, 2015, 01:20 PM
As a kid, my grandma made pickled calf's tongue. It was delicious. But no one has been able to find a recipe like how she made it. I remember growing up finding all kinds of animal parts in the freezer as nothing went to waste with the grandparents' generation.

Dollyquilts
October 20th, 2015, 08:24 PM
Cottage cheese and tomato-based sauces are good friends in my kitchen. My cottage cheese also hangs out with fruits, preserves, and gelatins. My friends say that I eat a lot of unconventional combinations of foods. Some examples are

blackberry preserves on meatloaf
making a sundae with leftover chili (i prefer this with vanilla ice-cream)
sharp cheddar cheese cubes dipped in cake frosting
saltines dipped in applesauce
oreos topped with cheese whiz

If there is a prize, I think you've won it. Ewww!

carolynrae
October 24th, 2015, 02:19 AM
Well being from the south, a burnt fried baloney sandwiches with mustard. Battered fried pork" liver (its got to be pork) with tons of onions and a spoon of bacon grease. I haven't had liver in years. Has anyone ever had fried grits? Mama used to take cold grits cut them in rectangle shapes and fry them.

Yes, we had fried grits and mush for breakfast, and fried baloney sandwiches, liver and onions, beef heart, pigs ears and tails in navy beans, oh M* friends you have brought back some memories. Much of this we ate because it was what my parents could afford and quite a bit of it I have not eaten since I left home.

pharris123
October 24th, 2015, 05:28 AM
I always found it funny when cooking shows became popular and polenta got to be some sort of a gourmet thing. It's grits, people. (okay, not technically. I just thought it was funny at the time!)

I bought bloney (yes, not bologna, bloney), white bread and a big ole Vidalia onion yesterday. Guess what's for breakfast?