• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Julie Tweed
    Batting Beauty
    • Oct 2011

Snacks for Quilting class..

I went to my first Quilting class on Wed (Brill by the way!)...and they make tea and one lady brought chocolates...so a light bulb went on in my head...Yay new people to bake for.. ( I LOVE BAKING FOR NEW PEOPLE)...so thought I would ask...I know cake is pretty much out of the question...
    So what kinds of cookies do you all like or do you think would be relatively tidy for people to eat while they sew.
    I live in Northern Ireland and I know tastes will be different..but I am sure they will at least try the cookies...I make a triple ginger (bit strong for most but I love it) choccie chip and the usual oatmeal raisins. Any other ideas?
    Cheers
    Maybe the most any of us can expect of ourselves isn't perfection but progress.
    Michelle Burford
  • quilter.martha
    Missouri Star
    • May 2011

Re: Snacks for Quilting class..

I"d eat any homemake cookie someone brought to a quilt class!!!!
    When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

• mitzs
      Binding Belle
      • Oct 2011

How about a banana bread? Or pumpkin bread? Thanksgiving is right around the corner.

Comment

• Julie Tweed
        Batting Beauty
        • Oct 2011

banana bread is doable..and pumpkin bread..I haven't had that in years..
        I did have a notion for pumpkin bread once but had no pumpkin so made it with sweet potato instead and topped it with a maple glaze..ended up selling it at a bake sale and the people who bought it raved about it...lol..so mite make that with out the glaze..
        Maybe the most any of us can expect of ourselves isn't perfection but progress.
        Michelle Burford

Comment

• Sandy Navas
          Missouri Star
          • Dec 2010

Oh, no cookies allowed. They wind up on my hips!!

I did go to my SILs quilt guild a few months ago and someone had taken Oreo Cookies, ground them in a food processor, scrunched them into balls about the size of a quarter, and then dipped them in melted white chocolate. Bite sized, easy to make, and absolutely delicious!

The granddaughters and I love to make no-bake peanut butter cookies, too - 1 cup of peanut butter (either smooth or crunchy), 1 cup white corn syrup, 1 cup powdered milk, 1 cup powdered sugar (and enough to roll balls in). Mix well, form into bite-sized balls, roll in additional powdered sugar. The powdered sugar will be absorbed and won't flake off later - but your fingers may get a tad bit sticky from the syrup. We love these.
          Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
          it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

• K. McEuen
            Super Moderator
            Missouri Star
            • Jan 2011

I made those oreo balls last year. Ground oreos, cream cheese, roll and dip. It's like candy. Really good if you use the mint oreos too.
            K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
            Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
            T - is it TRUE?
            H - is it HELPFUL?
            I - is it INSPIRING?
            N - is it NECESSARY?
            K - is it KIND?

Comment

• cyndiofthevortex
              Missouri Star
              • Oct 2011

Sandy and Karen,

Do either of you ever mail cookies? Just wondering. I love oreos.

Cyndi
              Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

• K. McEuen
                Super Moderator
                Missouri Star
                • Jan 2011

I've mailed cookies halfway across the country before. I haven't sent any lately. I have even mailed them to Greece when my husband was stationed there.
                K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
                Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                T - is it TRUE?
                H - is it HELPFUL?
                I - is it INSPIRING?
                N - is it NECESSARY?
                K - is it KIND?

Comment

• janluna
                  Missouri Star
                  • Oct 2009

Everything sounds wonderful but I have a question. Why can't they have cake? Everyone needs to take a break, why can't they eat cake then, or pie or ice cream with oreo cookies ground up in it? We do that all the time! Yum! Of course I am a bit on the fluffy side. LOL Oh well! Hugs, Jan L.
                  Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

• tamsterg7
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jan 2011

I second what Sandy said - we call them cake balls - only on the oreo I mix 1 pkg of cream cheese with the crushed oreo's, ball them and then dip in white chocolate.

For regular cake balls - bake on box cake mix per the directions on the box. When you take it out of the oven, scrap it out into a bowl and chop, not pulverize - just chop. Let it cool just a bit and then mix in one can of store bought frosting. Let that mixture cool until you can handle to roll into bite size balls. Melt chocolate and dip - decorate with a few fancy sprinkles on top if desired. The possibilities are endless but my friends like red velvet cake with cream cheese icing dipped in white, carrot cake with cream cheese dipped in white, chocolate cake with chocolate icing dipped in chocolate (death by chocolate). Very easy to make, pops right in your mouth and no mess while quilting! Oh - and the best part - no calories (yeah right!)

Comment

• Sandy Navas
                      Missouri Star
                      • Dec 2010

I wondered if there was enough cream filling in the Oreos to hold it together - never actually made them myself because I'd just eat all of them!!
                      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

• toggpine
                        Missouri Star
                        • Aug 2009

I'll have to find my sister's recipe for "Man Cookies" (Cookies so easy a man could make them.) They rely on boxed cake mix and the filling is a cream cheese frosting. Soft, but not sticky or too gooey to harm the fabrics. (I'll post it in the recipe thread later this morning after I have had some sleep.)
                        You can also make muffin-sized portions (regular or mini) of the quick breads (banana, pumpkin, zucchini) and brownies for easy eats. I have seen brownies cut into small squares and tossed in either granulated sugar or powdered sugar to keep them from being so sticky. Chex Mix, carmel corn, or even plain (salted) popcorn could be good.

Cupcakes could be a good solution to your cake conundrum.

My biggest concern would be that some of the ingredients of the different snacks may melt, ooze, or stick to fingers and get all over the beautiful fabrics. I might be inclined to bring a tub of baby wipes for sticky fingers if there isn't a sink close by.
                        Be who you are and say what you feel
                        because those who mind don't matter,
                        and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

• ILove2quilt
                          Applique Angel
                          • Sep 2011

If you want to make something quick, I take and melt choc, it could be white or brown and dip Lays potato chips in them. I only go about half way and let them get hard.

I love oatmeal cookies so any time you want to send me some let me know and I'll send you my address. lol
                          Ginger snaps :icon_wave:

Comment

• KiltedQuilter
                            Missouri Star
                            • Sep 2011

Sandy and K. McEuen
                            Girls after my own heart(I was going to suggest those!)

I LOVE Oreo truffles!!!!
                            I did mine dipped in white chocolate too, DEEEEEEElish!

I also second the motion for cake balls!!!
                            I made ones with vanilla cake and vanilla frosting and then dipped them in white chocolate with groud up bits of strawberries in(get those bars in Tesco for all you UK pals). YUM!
                            Last edited by KiltedQuilter; November 5, 2011, 03:40 AM. Reason: bad bad spelling
                            Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.-Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

• dl11man
                              Prairie Pointer
                              • May 2011

I think you should have a jell roll - what's your favorite? Mom would make an ice cream one, wish she was here.

Comment

Working...
                              X