PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on Transitions -type lenses

snippet
October 15th, 2015, 02:06 AM
I really need to get new glasses. It's gonna be expensive since I have astigmatism and need bifocals. I have progressives so I'll get them that way again.

The glasses I have came with a pair of magnetic clip sunglasses, but I lost them. Now I use some of those sunglasses that fit over your glasses. Not the best but they work.

When I was a kid, we tried the transitions lenses. They worked but it took a long time to change and I often had trouble going into a building and waiting for the lenses to change so I could see. I'm pretty blind.

I'm hoping technology has improved in the years since. And I saw there is a new transition-type lens called Sunsync. Anyone have any feedback on either of these lenses?

Jean Sewing Machine
October 15th, 2015, 03:00 AM
I don't have them, but was told by technicians in the optical shop that they change very quickly now. That had always been my concern to be getting them.

Iris Girl
October 15th, 2015, 04:58 AM
My husband has them and they don't change fast enough. I won't get them for that reason. I would rather have y regular glasses and a pair of prescription sunglasses. Just works a lot better for me.

bubba
October 15th, 2015, 05:15 AM
I got a pair of prescription sunglasses and they were not cheap. I hated having to change them on and off every time I went in and out of buildings, especially when I was in NYC walking around! Then one night, someone broke into my car and stole them...bet he got a big surprise! I replaced them with Fitovers. I love them....when go inside, I slide them on top of my head like a headband.

The think I did not like about the progressive lenses was that when you are driving in the car, they do not get dark because of the UV in the glass of the windows.

Pandabear
October 15th, 2015, 07:41 AM
My son and I both have transition lenses and like them. They change fast enough for us when we are outside. However, they don't change *at all* when we are in the car. It might just be because of the brand we have? I'm not sure.

Sonic
October 15th, 2015, 07:54 AM
I did not like them.
They were good to turn dark quickly when I needed them, but took too long to lighten up. And the colder the weather the longer it took. Maybe for general wear or everyday errands they would have been ok, but while working I was having to take them off too much just to see.

Doloris
October 15th, 2015, 08:20 AM
they will not darken in a car because of the UV glass in the windows

songbird857
October 15th, 2015, 08:56 AM

This is good to know because I was considering transition lenses for my next pair!

Grandma Nan
October 15th, 2015, 09:28 AM
I love mine. I bought prescription sun glasses and I never wear them cause I find I get enough tint in the car to work just fine. I also don't find it takes very long to change when I come inside. The small amount of pain is worth the gain of not having to change my glasses back and forth all the time. Just my opinion.
I would have to say I never or rarely have to drive with the sun shining directly in my face so if you need that you might want more tint in the car.

Live to Quilt
October 15th, 2015, 10:40 AM
Hi Carol
I use to have transitions but they when glasses were bigger and found when I sewed
The lights I used would make them darken some.
I'm sure a lot has changed since then but still don't get them.

Jean Anne

JCY
October 15th, 2015, 11:16 AM
I've used transitions (formerly called photo gray) almost all the years I've worn glasses. (About 50 yrs.!) I wouldn't be w/o them b/c I have a problem with glare. I have glass lenses & always get the anti-reflective coating on them. My first pair of bifocals were the progressives. I did not like them. They did not magnify enough for reading. I switched to flat-top bifocals, which I like a lot better.

Altairss
October 15th, 2015, 01:36 PM
DH has the transitions and love them his lighten and darken pretty fast. There is a newer way of doing them now but not everyone uses the latest tech and that makes a difference. I just got glasses and there is a new tech coming out that will allow them to darken in the car a bit. I have been using the clip ons and they drive me nuts so I plan with my next glasses to get the new style transitions.

bubba
October 15th, 2015, 02:05 PM

That's what I said!!!

Vonnie
October 15th, 2015, 04:04 PM
That's what I said!!!

The car is where I need them to darken! I got tired of them not changing fast enough. Also, those little snap on's work great for me. I buy the $20 ones from Sam's Club. Keep them in my purse. Used to wear them when we rode our motorcycle but last summer bought new helmets with pop down sunglasses. Really neat. Don't have to carry the snap on's any more. Can't stand plastic frames because they slide all the time. And because of metal allergy, have to be careful of metal frames. Have started buying the type that is metal but the arms are covered by plastic and the lenses are screwed/bolted to the arms and the nose piece without touching the skin. That way I get the little nose pads and my glasses don't slip much.

Can't wear contacts - with astigmatism in both eyes, the contacts are too thick/weighted to be comfortable plus I still had to wear glasses to read small print.

Loonwatcher
October 15th, 2015, 04:10 PM
I have them and like them but sometimes they seem a little slow changing when I go inside. I just put my hands over the glasses so they are in the dark and it's pretty quick. Quick enough. They won't change in the car because the type of light that activates them doesn't go through the car glass. I use clip on sunglasses for driving if I need them ( usually just in the winter against snow glare).

bakermom
October 16th, 2015, 01:17 PM
personally, I don't like them but my DH insists on them. One drawback, although it may not matter to you, for any outside pics, you will look like you're wearing sunglasses. Our kids had a lot of outdoor pics taken at their weddings, Dad looks like he's wearing shades. Bugs the heck out of me.

auntiemern
October 16th, 2015, 03:10 PM
Gabe has them, and they change very quickly.