PDA

View Full Version : Help needed

Sharyn J
October 14th, 2015, 03:04 PM
I have an elderly neighbor (80) who has a lot of problems, health & mental.

He used to enjoy the hobby of carving wood, but can no longer do that because of heart meds and the danger of cutting himself. I know that he sits for hours, feeling sorry for himself and wishing that he would die. I need to find him a simple hobby. Rosie Greer (famous football player) used to do needlepoint to calm himself. Cross word puzzles might work. Are there any color books or another activity you can suggest?

Open for suggestions!

Bubby
October 14th, 2015, 03:13 PM
When my late husband was no longer able to be active he took up coloring black velvet paintings. The carry them at K-Mart and have ever so many different ones to choose from. I have one of a bowl of fruit that's priceless to me.

wildernessquilter
October 14th, 2015, 03:27 PM
Why not get him interested in quilting. Small piecing project either by hand or by machine might interest him.

Preeti
October 14th, 2015, 03:40 PM
Sudoku and Scrabble
Also helps with brain agility and may keep Alzheimer's Away.

shirleyknot
October 14th, 2015, 03:41 PM
I used to do soap carving. Much duller knife and far less chance of getting hurt. You can actually carve Ivory bars with a wooden cuticle stick. And it holds almost as good as wood.

Sharyn J
October 14th, 2015, 03:42 PM
Why not get him interested in quilting. Small piecing project either by hand or by machine might interest him.

No, I don't want to spend a lot of time with him. Need something that he can do by himself.

K. McEuen
October 14th, 2015, 04:03 PM
Maybe he could do some sculpture with the Pima clay. Just small things. It comes in many colors and you can bake it in the oven. It is the stuff that many people use to make the multi-colored beads with. Or if his hands are still nimble enough he might enjoy making keychains and stuff with the paracord.

bubba
October 14th, 2015, 04:16 PM
There are adult coloring books now!!! They have interesting geometric shapes, animals, flowers, etc. I even saw them at Joanns yesterday! Have you ever seen the sculpting sand? It's like clay, but does not harden and you can get molds and use it over and over again. Our grandkids have some and love it!

Station5
October 14th, 2015, 04:29 PM
I suggest wood burning. You get the tool at Hobby Lobby, Michaels or Walmart and it is not too expensive when using a coupon.

There are wood bottom baskets on Etsy using plywood or natural, sliced wood discs - just search "wood bottom basket". You could sketch a few designs to give him an idea. Later, he can develop his own style. Check with your local tree surgeon and ask them to save him some wood rounds from smaller tree. If you explain it is for the elderly, most people are glad to help.

Check with your State Park Service for a folk art festival coordinator who can put with basket weavers who will take the bottoms.

Splinter
October 14th, 2015, 04:49 PM
I went to my local book store to see if they had any new quilting books, and I was surprised to see about three rows of coloring books for adults. They had so many different themes, though some of the shapes are quite small. I would recommend using colored pencils or fine tipped markers.

Hulamoon
October 14th, 2015, 04:57 PM
How about painting? Maybe a small investment for an easel and such. But he can sit outside and listen to music. You never know what can come out of a person using paints.

shirleyknot
October 14th, 2015, 05:33 PM
I have an elderly neighbor (80) who has a lot of problems, health & mental.

Remember this part of the problem. It isn't likely he's going to be up for learning anything new that is at all complicated.

Iris Girl
October 14th, 2015, 06:01 PM
Adult coloring books are all the trend , you can use colored pencils or markers with them. Other then that any kind of crossword puzzle or jumble puzzle would keep the mind active.

Hulamoon
October 14th, 2015, 06:11 PM
The coloring books for adults are cool but the space to color in is so tiny. I'm going to push for painting. :)

Angelia
October 14th, 2015, 06:24 PM
I used to do soap carving. Much duller knife and far less chance of getting hurt. You can actually carve Ivory bars with a wooden cuticle stick. And it holds almost as good as wood.

This was my first thought. Still carving, just a bit safer.

Hulamoon
October 14th, 2015, 06:37 PM
If you want to stay with carving there are soapstone kits. My dd got one for a bd present.

Amazon.com: soapstone for carving (http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=soapstone+for+carving&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=84137312830&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10013290298007352264&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_4prkg0337p_b_p2)

shirleyknot
October 14th, 2015, 06:51 PM
Very nice, but those cutting tools are even a bit more dangerous than wood carving, which is the problem.

Hulamoon
October 14th, 2015, 07:01 PM
My dad made this from soapstone. I think it's about 70 yrs old.

I think you have to see what he's comfortable with.

Sharyn J
October 14th, 2015, 07:20 PM
Thank you all so much for so many great suggestions. You're the best! I think my idea must have been telepathic. Just got a call from his son who lives out of state. He said he would be here next week and that he had ordered a large art kit & easel to be delivered this week. Apparently his dad used to do a lot of sketching, drawing & painting. Since he already has artistic skills, that may be just the right thing to keep him busy!

Hulamoon
October 14th, 2015, 07:21 PM
Good choice! I'm so happy!

I want to say why I'm happy. My whole family was artistc. Painting, drawing,ceramics, stained glass, sewing, I was blessed. I lost all of them. This was special to me to help with input.

shirleyknot
October 14th, 2015, 07:31 PM
Thats wonderful. Hope he gets a lot of enjoyment from it.

Deegles
October 14th, 2015, 08:11 PM
Paint by numbers are my suggestion, they are so neat.

pharris123
October 14th, 2015, 08:27 PM
So nice of you to care so much to help him out! Glad to see he's getting art things, sounds like he'll enjoy them.

Another suggestion - Zentangles are really fun and relaxing.

Kgrammiecaz
October 14th, 2015, 10:51 PM
I just recently purchased some coloring bookd. I love the shapes. I copied them to use for stencils for quilting and I purchased color pencils and markers and I color in the actual books. It is so relaxing. I copied some for my grandaughter to color as well. Now of course I am not copying and selling or handing out. Just for my own use.

But the patterns and shapes are sp pretty to color. Check it out

AuntieVic
October 14th, 2015, 11:08 PM
I have not read through all the comments yet, but have a suggestion. When my Mom passed away, I was worried about my Dad just sitting around doing nothing. One brother that lives near him kept him active with bowling once a week. Then the rest of the time was just sitting around watching TV and walking the dogs when they wanted to go out. A very close neighbor saw a 3D puzzle when they were shopping one day and picked it up for my Dad. He loved putting it together ad showing it off when he finished it. That was over two years ago. I now search out the 3d puzzles and pick them up every chance I get. He had completed some foam ones, some wood ones, and some plastic ones. It keeps his mind working and something to be proud of when we Skype. He displays his puzzles, so he often carries the computer around during skyp time, so I can see the newly finished puzzles.

SuzyQue
October 14th, 2015, 11:18 PM
I think it is awesome that you cared so much for this neighbor that you thought to ask us for suggestions! I am glad you were able to work something out with his son. You have a big heart!

songbird857
October 14th, 2015, 11:48 PM
Jigsaw puzzles, you can vary the difficulty depending on his ability!

stationarymom
October 15th, 2015, 01:45 AM
what about scenic puzzles something he can make and glue to hang on the wall?

stationarymom
October 15th, 2015, 01:50 AM
what about scenic puzzles something he can make and glue to hang on the wall?

Lightwriter
October 15th, 2015, 06:31 AM
My Mom broke her right wrist and was bored out of her mind. I bought a jigsaw puzzle for her to see if that would help. She progressed from simple to pretty intricate before her wrist got better.

cv quilter
October 15th, 2015, 06:24 PM
There are adult coloring books now!!! They have interesting geometric shapes, animals, flowers, etc. I even saw them at Joanns yesterday! Have you ever seen the sculpting sand? It's like clay, but does not harden and you can get molds and use it over and over again. Our grandkids have some and love it!

I just saw something about adult coloring books! They are a HUGE item now and people are really into them. This sounds kind of interesting. You could even encourage him by telling him you'll get him a couple of frames to put them into. Or tell him he can give them as gifts.

cv quilter
October 15th, 2015, 06:29 PM
Thank you all so much for so many great suggestions. You're the best! I think my idea must have been telepathic. Just got a call from his son who lives out of state. He said he would be here next week and that he had ordered a large art kit & easel to be delivered this week. Apparently his dad used to do a lot of sketching, drawing & painting. Since he already has artistic skills, that may be just the right thing to keep him busy!

Wonderful! Any form of art, whether it's painting, drawing, coloring, is a safe and very satisfying activity. Good for you for caring and for his son to draw from past memories and experience with his Dad to come up with a solution.

Daytonalady
October 15th, 2015, 06:53 PM
Folks with an iPad can download several apps that are coloring books for adults. In the App Store search on 'coloring' to see a lot of choices. I am using one called 'Colorfy', and it was no charge. The other one I have is called 'Secret Fantasy' this is also no charge. Both are easy to do and self explanatory. Try it out, you'll love wasting time coloring!

mommiepainter
October 15th, 2015, 07:20 PM
Would he be interest in latch hook? That is pretty simple.

jjkaiser
October 15th, 2015, 08:44 PM
Remember the etch-a-sketch? I think there's something similar in toy stores that you can sketch on a screen in color just using your finger! That sounds pretty easy and no extra supplies. The downside you can't print or save your creations. But it might hold his interest.

jjkaiser
October 15th, 2015, 08:45 PM
I forgot to say what a good friend and neighbor you are. This is so nice of you to try and find him an activity.