PDA

View Full Version : Update on ankle

mianmom
November 4th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Went and saw the orthapedic dr today. He was very busy, was there for 2 hours. At first the PA came in after xrays were taken to tell me that she didnt see anything in the pictures and that it was probably nothing but hernitated (spell?) tissue and that it wasnt that big of a deal. So I said if it is nothing why is there pain because in my book if there is pain then something is wrong. So she repeated herself (apparently she didnt think I heard her the first time) so I repeated myself since she didnt hear me the first time. She said she would go and look at my xrays again and I said fine. Then she came back with the dr (who by the way I love) and he poked and prodded and told her that he thought she was wrong and that he wanted an MRI scheduled. He did tell me that he didnt think it was anything to worry about but that it was a type of cyst and that once he got the results of the MRI we would decide what to do then (did I tell you that I love this dr?). That it would probably have to be removed since it was giveing me problems, but he would know for sure in the week or so. The PA never looked at me again and told me that the person who did the scheduling would be right in. Is it a bad thing that I wanted to go na na to her? :icon_heh:

Aprilisslowlylearntoquilt
November 4th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Lol. we have to be advocates for ourselves! i am a RN and i ask alot of questions when i go to the doctor, if they don't have time to answer or don't have the answers that don't seem exactly right to me then i think there is a problem. Kudos to you!! I just fired a Nephrologist that my primary sent me too, he told me all these things, but when I asked him why, he never answered one of my questions, hmmm.. i have a issue here, at my next appointment I asked to see the one i was orignally supposed to see, and OH MY what a difference, answered all my questions and was wonderful, they gave me trouble at the front desk about switching said i had to get permission i said WHOAH!, no i don't ... and now I feel so much better.. I am glad you did the right thing and spoke up..so many don't

mitzs
November 4th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Good for you!! If we don't stand up for ourselves who will? I hope your not in a lot of pain and they get you fixed soon. (((Hugs))) to you.

quilter.martha
November 4th, 2011, 07:50 PM
You have to stand up for yourself! I've not had good experiences with PAs, but have had great experiences with Nurse Practitioners. Go figure.

BellasQuilts
November 4th, 2011, 09:26 PM
In the medical world you have to be your own advocate. They don't listen, it is a cattle call. I simply refuse to be treated as such and make it known ahead of time. I am the PIA in my dr's butt, but I keep them honest doing what they took an oath for! Sorry for the rant but my oldest suffered 7 long years with a debilitating disease (she is recovered!) and it took all of my hope, energy, etc. to keep going and fighting the medical system. I won't treat them like gods (they aren't) and I won't be treated like an idiot (I'm not).

mianmom
November 4th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks everyone!! I actually feel pretty good about the appointment. I'm not really a shy person so I really have never had a problem with voicing my opinion. Actually I can be quite sarcastic and have been known to be a big ole 'B'. I have to be since I have to deal with nurses and doctors all the time for my daughter, she has kidney reflux. I know when she is not feeling well, even if her dip tests come out negative. I just get tired some times of fighting with people, I dont feel I should have too. Any way thanks so much for the support it means alot!

janluna
November 4th, 2011, 10:23 PM
You go girl! Dr.'s think we are the chart in front of them and forget to look up and see the person! Or listen to the person. I finally found a doc that listens. I told him he couldn't retire till I died. lol Hugs, Jan L.