PDA

View Full Version : Night Owl Over the Moon!

toggpine
October 14th, 2015, 01:17 AM
I am the proud owner of a Singer 66 "Red Eye" treadle sewing machine! Whoo Hoo!

She needs some cleaning and possibly some woodwork to repair/blend in some previous repairs. She runs and sews a nice seam. Many thanks to Pat (Bubba) for connecting me with her friend Laurise, who saved this beauty when her neighbor passed away.
She's acclimating to the house temperature and while that is happening, I have the drawers out to prevent sticking. I hope to take her for an initial spin tomorrow!

Oh yeah. I still have to clear more space for her. She's a bit longer than I thought.

CraftHer
October 14th, 2015, 01:21 AM
Wow! She's gorgeous! I would love to have a Singer like my Grandmother had. It was similar to this one. So happy for you.

bubba
October 14th, 2015, 01:42 AM
I'm happy for you, and Laurise is happy as well! Did you look at the other things she has while you were there?

I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of her and can't wait to hear what her name is!

Granny Judy
October 14th, 2015, 01:47 AM
Welcome to the Vintage machine owner's club... Now you gotta name her/him and put some time in learning to use the pedal..

Here is a nice tutorial to get you started...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8IUBJry6Ro

stationarymom
October 14th, 2015, 01:56 AM
Congratulations! What a beautiful machine.

Simply Quilting
October 14th, 2015, 02:13 AM
What a beautiful machine.

kimsophia
October 14th, 2015, 02:34 AM
Well hooty hoo! Congratulations on your purchase! @,@

I am working on making a faux crazy quilt sampler. Basically it is one piece of fabric but embroidered as if it had seams, sort of like this: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/199988039673877276/

toggpine
October 14th, 2015, 02:34 AM
My guess is her name will come while I am getting her restored to her original glory. She is in fabulous mechanical shape. Everything spins freely and there is no rust to be seen on her.
She has some gunk build up after all of the years of oiling, lint, and dust. Nothing a bit of spa time won't fix.
The woodwork rehab on the cabinet is what I'm going to get some advice on. There have been some repairs already made, but not professionally. There are some places that have the beginnings of delamination and there are also several water marks from glasses and possibly a plant pot.

No Pat, I did not see Laurise's other treasures. I was already indulging myself with this purchase, although she did tell me about another vintage machine she "rescued" from the same estate sale. I was afraid to even look! She is a lovely lady and I'm pleased to have met her. Thanks!

bubba
October 14th, 2015, 03:43 AM
No Pat, I did not see Laurise's other treasures. I was already indulging myself with this purchase, although she did tell me about another vintage machine she "rescued" from the same estate sale. I was afraid to even look! She is a lovely lady and I'm pleased to have met her. Thanks!

I know what type machine it is....one with the wooden bentwood case. I see them often in the antique shops, and last time I was at the one in Gig Harbor, I think there were two or three of them!

Lightwriter
October 14th, 2015, 03:47 AM
I learned to sew on a treadle. Mom's was a plainer version without the red eye. She traded it when she bought her Touch and Sew in early 60's. I found me a thistle design earlier this year. They are proud old girls. Can you imagine anything being made today lasting as long? Have fun!

Cathy F
October 14th, 2015, 06:03 AM
Beautiful machine, congratulations!

Carol336
October 14th, 2015, 06:30 AM
Very nice....enjoy

Monique
October 14th, 2015, 07:31 AM
It is indeed a beautiful machine. There is an auction sale on Sunday that has not 1, not 2, not 3 but 4 sewing machines for auction. One is a treadle, two Featherweights, and a White I believe. NO, I am not getting another machine. NO, I am not getting another sewing machine.

Hulamoon
October 14th, 2015, 08:11 AM
She sure is pretty!

Well hooty hoo! Congratulations on your purchase! @,@

I am working on making a faux crazy quilt sampler. Basically it is one piece of fabric but embroidered as if it had seams, sort of like this: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/199988039673877276/

I have heard about doing it that way before. Is it from the Crafsty class?

cv quilter
October 14th, 2015, 08:25 AM
Your girl is a beauty! Looks like the one my Mom used for years and years. I don't know what ever happened to it. Wish I had it.

mommiepainter
October 14th, 2015, 09:02 AM
What a beauty!

kimsophia
October 14th, 2015, 09:28 AM
She sure is pretty!

I have heard about doing it that way before. Is it from the Crafsty class?

Not directly from the Craftsy class, no. The class does recommend making a sampler to practice stitching but hers is a simpler one of rows of varying fanciness.

MayinJerset
October 14th, 2015, 09:47 AM
What a treasure, it works as well as being beautiful! Many happy sewing hours with it.

My father had a less beautiful one like it. Back in the1930's he and his mother worked in the garment industry in Brooklyn, NY. His machine probably was one he used at work. Originally it had a motor but he or his mother took it off as they preferred the treadle. I never could sew with the treadle but my brother Jim did as he made himself several drawstring bags to hold his marble connection.

toggpine
October 14th, 2015, 10:19 AM
It is indeed a beautiful machine. There is an auction sale on Sunday that has not 1, not 2, not 3 but 4 sewing machines for auction. One is a treadle, two Featherweights, and a White I believe. NO, I am not getting another machine. NO, I am not getting another sewing machine.

Do NOT rescue another machine. Do not give it a good home with a loving quilter who would cherish it. Do not even think about where it would fit in your current sewing room.

So which one are you interested in?

QuiltingRN
October 14th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Beautiful machine! I would like to get a Model 66 as I don't have that one!
Have fun sewing on her!

judimccl
October 14th, 2015, 12:38 PM
Congratulations and enjoy your new baby :icon_wave:

toggpine
October 14th, 2015, 05:12 PM
Have fun sewing on her!

I am pretty sure the lady I bought this one from has an electric 66 with a case. If it's in as good of condition as this one, it's probably a bargain. She's in the Lakewood area....
Crud! Now I'm as bad as Pat with the enabling business!

bubba
October 14th, 2015, 07:00 PM

La la la la la la.....Monique is getting a new machine!!!

bubba
October 14th, 2015, 07:02 PM
Have fun sewing on her!

If that is the one w/the bentwood case, she has one. I believe she told me it is $75. Let me know if I have to get ahold of her for you :)

toggpine
October 14th, 2015, 08:19 PM
Pat, I think April is ignoring us!

I should have taken a photo to post in here! That would have done it!

ilive2craft2
October 14th, 2015, 09:43 PM
Beautiful machine!

I need to get my husband's grandma's treadle going - it all moves smoothly, but no belt. Not sure where to start?

songbird857
October 14th, 2015, 11:52 PM
Oooohh... she is a beauty!! Congrats :)

toggpine
October 15th, 2015, 12:27 AM
Beautiful machine!

I need to get my husband's grandma's treadle going - it all moves smoothly, but no belt. Not sure where to start?

Lisa, I found a lot of good info on the website TreadleOn. There are places that still sell treadle parts. Check Lehman's (sp?) for things like new treadle belts. They sell many non-electric items for the Amish community.

Quiltfreestyle
October 15th, 2015, 11:17 AM
Cathy that is one gorgeous machine!!! Congratulations !!!
It's so pretty it makes me want one of my own, just not sure where I could put it. Hahaha
Enjoy your new treasure :)