PDA

View Full Version : Murphys Law update on me.

RFREE
October 13th, 2015, 08:15 PM
I did not hear from me test results yesterday so I just figured no news is good news right? So at 10:52 my phone rang...Dr. office...
Here we go.. Nurse. " Mrs Free have you gotten your mammogram yet?" Me."What?""Yes I had it done Thursday!" "Are you kidding me?" " You mean to tell me you don't even have my test results yet and I was told you would call YESTERDAY???" "The technician even called the office on Thursday to get the order changed to Bilateral mammogram and add the ultrasound that wasn't on the original order!".
Needless to say I am livid. I am usually a VERY easy going person and it takes ALOT to get me riled up but today pushed me over the edge.
I will let you know if they find my films and what the results are.
I haven't heard from them since that call and it is now 6:15

Midge
October 13th, 2015, 08:47 PM
Rhonda, I'm so sorry they are putting you through this unnecessary stress. This is inexcusable. Good luck, stay livid and don't take no for an answer. This is not appropriate care.

Sandy Navas
October 13th, 2015, 09:15 PM
I'll be there to bail you out of jail - because I'm going to help you strangle someone. UNACCEPTABLE!!

RFREE
October 13th, 2015, 10:20 PM
We just got the confirmation that my BIL is stage 3 possibly 4 rare esophagus cancer. He has lost to much weight to try and do chemo or radiation to shrink the mass therefore they can't do surgery to remove it.He will be going for a Pet scan to see if it is stage 4.
Not looking so good for him. My DH and BIL will be making a trip to CA soon.
Please prey for this family they are good people.

EsGrandma
October 14th, 2015, 12:06 AM
Dear Rhonda, Praying for you and your family - we're here for you and Sandy will even help you strangle people (can't ask more than that) - we love you. Linda

jjkaiser
October 14th, 2015, 12:35 AM
I work in radiology. I would be shocked that there would be any films to lose or locate. Everything has been digital for at least 10 years including your ultrasound. That means they are in the computer database and they are definitely there. The radiologists read them right on the computer. If you have older mammos in storage they may have to retrieve those--and those are the ones that might be lost--but those films are used to compare your pictures from last week to, but they could read your most recent ones without the comparisons. They do that all the time especially with patients who can't remember where they had previous mammos done or who lived in another state the year befpre. There is NO reason your mammos and ultrasound exams can't be read ASAP.

mommamarsh
October 14th, 2015, 12:48 AM
Can't type my first thought ! I'd call MD in a.m., if no results,call radiology and explain to them . Someone should get on the stick .
If you don't hear quickly, or get the "the radiologist hasn't read/dictated/what ever" excuse , talk to the rad.director(if at the hospital) or who ever is in charge . And, I know where we can hide the body !?!

mommamarsh
October 14th, 2015, 12:51 AM
Also,so sorry about your BIL. Prayer and positive thoughts for you all. Hugs.

pcbatiks
October 14th, 2015, 12:54 AM
Well, good grief. Call them back 1st thing in the morning.....keep calling .....ask for supervisor.......strangle someone.....whatever it takes! Keep pestering until you get an answer. So sorry for your extra stress. Sending another hug to you.

stationarymom
October 14th, 2015, 02:12 AM
Rhonda I am so sorry that they are putting this extra stress on you,like the others said make sure to call and tell them you want a call from your Dr. explaining how this could happen.I am so sorry to hear about your BIL you will all be in my prayers.

Simply Quilting
October 14th, 2015, 02:30 AM
Praying for you and for your BIL and the family. I would personally contact the hospital administration and let them know what is going on. There is no excuse for what has happened and what you are being put through. Our local hospital everything is electronic so the loosing of things (films) is no longer a valid excuse. The biggest problem is people who have the same name sometimes get mixed up even after birthdate checking.

Patsquilting
October 14th, 2015, 07:18 AM
As if you aren't already stressed out with just the worry - to have this added on - Prayers with you

RFREE
October 14th, 2015, 07:22 AM
I work in radiology. I would be shocked that there would be any films to lose or locate. Everything has been digital for at least 10 years including your ultrasound. That means they are in the computer database and they are definitely there. The radiologists read them right on the computer. If you have older mammos in storage they may have to retrieve those--and those are the ones that might be lost--but those films are used to compare your pictures from last week to, but they could read your most recent ones without the comparisons. They do that all the time especially with patients who can't remember where they had previous mammos done or who lived in another state the year befpre. There is NO reason your mammos and ultrasound exams can't be read ASAP.

I hope you are right. After nobody called me back yesterday I really got upset thinking they didn't call because they couldn't find them to read. I have never had anything done previously so there would only be what I had done last Thursday.
i'm just sick over this whole mess.

Monique
October 14th, 2015, 07:22 AM
Rhonda, I hope you get answers soon and prayers for your BIL.

Sonic
October 14th, 2015, 07:38 AM
Oh no, I'm sorry you are getting treated like this.
Tell you what, I won't help with the strangling part as it seems I would have to get in line for that activity.... but I will let you know that I live rather rurally, have some land, and the means to dig a really large hole.....
You know, should you need to utilize something like this. :D

Bubby
October 14th, 2015, 07:50 AM
The incompetency here is totally UNACCEPTABLE. Don't just take this as the norm....make some noise and demand answers You and your BIL are in my prayers.

Sandy Navas
October 14th, 2015, 10:13 AM
Prayers, prayers, prayers, and the offer to strangle still stands!

bhaggerty
October 14th, 2015, 12:05 PM
RFREE - I hope and pray that all of your results are negative!! I also hope things go well for your BIL, he has a very though road ahead of him.

Now, to defuse this situation, more information of how "the system" really works:
Radiologists and technicians are not allowed to give the results directly to the patient, whether normal or not. They are required by law to send the results to the ordering doctor's office ONLY. That is actually in a new law by our current administration, along with the "Patient's Bill of Rights." Believe it or not, even in this digital age, the results of the x-rays and ultrasounds do not just "pop up" on your doctor's computer. Many of the electronic medical record systems have fire walls between them and do not allow access to the other systems (ie. a doctor office to a hospital). At our office, believe me, we STILL SOMETIMES HAVE TO WAIT ON A FAX for the results. They are not always "johnny on the spot" to fax them "right over". They also even refuse to give them over the phone even to the nurse or the doctor. With Mammograms, MRI's and CT scans, they sometimes wait to read them if there is an older film or test they are pulling to do comparisons. So, even though they might read the film right away, sometimes they do not actually release the results to the ordering doctor until they have also had a chance to review old comparison films.

Also, on more than one occasion, our office has confirmed or refaxed orders for tests, only to find out later that the patient left and refused to have them done due to costs/insurance would not cover it. So I would assume that is why your Dr, office called to make sure it was done. We have spent much time chasing/calling for results for tests on patients, only to find out that they were never even done, even though the patient swore they were going to get the test right then.

laura44
October 14th, 2015, 12:08 PM
Prayers for you and your family. Hope everything turns out ok.
Hugs to you!

MRoy
October 14th, 2015, 12:25 PM
Rhonda, I hope you hear from the tests soon. I'm sorry to hear about your BIL. Prayers for you and your family.

alliek
October 14th, 2015, 03:02 PM
Rhonda, NO NO NO , I am sooo sorry about this mess. There has to be a "head" of this place. I would ask to see him ASAP!! Whether they find your results today or not. On top of this your BIL is so ill. My heart is aching for you and your family. I'm with all those who would do harm to those idiots who took your tests. It makes my blood boil, however, it won't achieve what you want so instead I will be praying for your BIL and encouraging you to be hopeful and positive. God Bless and Keep You and your family.

SallyO'Sews
October 14th, 2015, 03:31 PM
Praying for you and yours, Rhonda, and sending you a big quilty cyber-hug. {{{RHONDA}}}}
Blessings, ~ Sally \0/

Midge
October 14th, 2015, 03:57 PM
[QUOTE=bhaggerty;805934]RFREE - I hope and pray that all of your results are negative!! I also hope things go well for your BIL, he has a very though road ahead of him.

Now, to defuse this situation, more information of how "the system" really works:
Radiologists and technicians are not allowed to give the results directly to the patient, whether normal or not. They are required by law to send the results to the ordering doctor's office ONLY. That is actually in a new law by our current administration, along with the "Patient's Bill of Rights." Believe it or not, even in this digital age, the results of the x-rays and ultrasounds do not just "pop up" on your doctor's computer. Many of the electronic medical record systems have fire walls between them and do not allow access to the other systems (ie. a doctor office to a hospital). At our office, believe me, we STILL SOMETIMES HAVE TO WAIT ON A FAX for the results. They are not always "johnny on the spot" to fax them "right over". They also even refuse to give them over the phone even to the nurse or the doctor. With Mammograms, MRI's and CT scans, they sometimes wait to read them if there is an older film or test they are pulling to do comparisons. So, even though they might read the film right away, sometimes they do not actually release the results to the ordering doctor until they have also had a chance to review old comparison films./QUOTE]

Not sure you defused much. People are capable of understanding the privacy laws and how systems work - or fail to work for the benefit of the patients as in this situation. Comprehensive Cancer Centers where I have been employed have a standard of same day reporting. Patient centered care has never been against the law in this country and isn't under the Affordable Care Act. The last thing people want to hear when their lives are at stake are that bureaucracies are rigid and conscientious patients must suffer for nearly a week waiting for results when there are significant clinical symptoms because some people don't go through with their testing for whatever reason. There is no justification for creating this much anxiety. People deserve better. Rhonda deserves better.

songbird857
October 14th, 2015, 05:20 PM
Praying Rhonda, for you and your family.

RFREE
October 14th, 2015, 10:08 PM
I waited all day for "The call". And well it never came. I got home waited til 4:45 and called them. Left message with receptionist and they called me back after 5. "Mrs Free we finally tracked down your results ha ha ha" I'm numb. I said "AND??""
"They believe its just a cyst and we aren't going to do anything at this time"" You just need to monitor that it don't get any bigger by doing weekly self breast exams and if they get sore come back to the office". Me... "UUU Yea there are 3 not 1 Her...""Oh yea thats what I meant to say if they get bigger and get sore come back in". So as if a golf ball size isn't big enough? How big should they get before they do something? The person calling don't know jack so why do they have them call?
I am beside my self. for one I don't think they actually seen them just the way she talked and mixed words.
I am calling them in the morning and have them fax my results to me and if they won't do that i am going there to get them.
The technician let me look at my mammogram pictures there when I had it done. There are 3 not 1. I know they aren't allowed to say what they think but I seen them. I also watched the ultrasound.
I do feel better but I do not think they have ever seen them and makes me wonder had I not called this afternoon would they have called me? I had been more than patient esp. after they told me 24 to 48 hours for results. OK 6 days later? I know it was the weekend in there too but really?

I appreciate all the prayers and good advice.

jjkaiser
October 14th, 2015, 11:25 PM
If you had your exams done in a hospital they have to give you the results. Call medical records, some places it's called release of information. Tell them you want the written radiology report on mammogram done on x (date) day and written report of ultrasound done on x (date). They will probably have a 24-hour waiting period before you can pick them up. You might not understand the language that is used in the reports though, requiring a visit with your primary care physician, reports in hand, to have him or her explain it to you. Be sure and ask the question, "Is this something I should be worried about?" and " how do you know it's a cyst without doing a biopsy?" These are basic questions, I am not telling you this to scare you, just to tell you how to get a little more information. Please share with your doctor the fact that the person in the office who gave you your test results was not very skilled at passing along the information, and that left you with more questions than answers. Good luck. Keep pushing.

sewlucky
October 14th, 2015, 11:34 PM
Rhonda, so frustrated for you! I sure hope the lumps are cysts, but you would think that at least the golf ball sized one they would want to drain and biopsy??? Nuts. Try to get in to see the dr and not just get the news from the messenger. I can't believe (well I can but wish I couldn't) how insensitive people are.

Terri