View Full Version : Finally, at home!

October 11th, 2015, 09:31 AM
Well this summer was a real whirlwind around here.

BIL, Chuck, comes to visit, falls and dislocates his shoulder. Spends 10 days here not following drs. instructions and raising his arm, doesn't wear his sling. Needless to say, when he flew up to IN and went to the dr. there he'd really separated his shoulder and had to have surgery. He had to stay with his mom longer, but couldn't do any of the things she needed to have done around her house.

The kids came the Friday after Uncle Chuck left here. DS, DIL, and 2 grands in tow for a week of toddler and infant mayhem (it was really grand). Mom was slowly failing and by the middle of the week was pretty much in the bed totally. DS told his wife on the way home, that he wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have to turn right around and come back.

Sunday after the kids went back to FL, Mom's two brothers and wives came for a visit. Uncle Darrell and Aunt Mary Lou, cousin Mac and his wife, Sandy (that we've never met) had been to a week long festival and stopped in on their way home to Elizabeth City. Uncle Bill and Aunt Catherine came, their son Martin and grand daughter Maddie also showed up to visit. It was a nice visit. Mom pretty much didn't know what was going on. She did squeeze Mary Lou's hand when she went in to talk to her. Both brothers were visibly shaken.

Monday, with everyone gone, I got the quilt I'd started for Chuck back out to work on. As I sewed I kept thinking hold on a little bit longer so I can show you what I came up with. I had columns on the top left to put on when Howard came in and said I think your mom's gone. She was, I finished the top while waiting for hospice and the funeral home to show up.

I thought before Mom's passing was busy, but after has been just as busy. Chuck was still at Dot's house recuperating from his shoulder surgery. MIL and both BILs drove down on Thursday. DS drove up on Friday. Graveside only service and luncheon at mom's favorite BBQ when I was growing up on Saturday. All safely back to Stanley on Sat. evening for supper provided by mom's church.

First BIL drove home to IN on Monday (because his wife was painting and he wanted nothing to do with it). Chuck stayed and wanted to see me sandwich his quilt. That's as far as it's gotten. He left about a week later.

The end of August came and we took MIL down to FL to see DS, DIL, and the two grands. It was the first time she'd ever seen Esther in person. 9/4 was Esther's first birthday, and 9/14 was Jonathan's third. DILs family hosted a big family birthday party for them. Wonderful visit with lots of laughs and good times.

We got back from that trip to start estate paperwork. MIL went to spend a week with her sisters. I worked on paperwork and the quilt sat on the sofa in the living room. When we picked up MIL, we brought back her sisters for a week of shopping and visiting. The quilt sat rolled up on the sofa, I worked on hexies.

After shopping until we all dropped, we took the sisters home and got ready to take MIL back to IN.

We spent a week and a half in IN working on MIL's 'honey do' list. Howard and Mike worked their butts off. From yard work, to cleaning out the basement, plumbing. You name it, they did it. We mom sat, my SILs mom a couple of afternoons. I was sorry I hadn't taken anything to work on with me. I was so bored! I read a couple of good books, went shopping one day, but that's about it.

We started home on Monday of last week. Letting the rains leave NC before we started out. I'd asked to stop in TN at Smokey Mt. Knife works, Russell Stover, and the Christmas shop. Spent money in all three stores. Had a great dinner at the Chop Shop, and fudge from the Chocolate Monkey. Then headed on home.

It's weird walking past mom's room. The house is really quiet, a whole lot quieter now that everyone has gone home. DH has been working on extending the acrylic table he made for me so that it covers the whole top of my desk. Once that's done.... YEA ... I can finally finish that tiger quilt for my BIL!

Here's to the new normal! (and figuring out, do I really want to move to FL closer to my grandkids like my DS wants? That would involve home schooling, and less time for quilting. Hard decisions to be made!)

October 11th, 2015, 09:55 AM
Oh my, what a busy summer you have had! It is hard getting used to a parent being gone. I know for several years I would pick up the phone to call my mom, only to realize I couldn't.

And good luck on making the decision to move closer to grandkids, I'm sure it will be hard to decide. There are so many factors to consider.

Ginny B
October 11th, 2015, 10:12 AM
That certainly was a busy summer. Glad you are home now. I know it will be hard adjusting to your new normal. Good luck with your decision on moving or not.

October 11th, 2015, 10:15 AM
Glad you made it home. So sorry for your loss. Hugs!!

Sandy Navas
October 11th, 2015, 10:26 AM
Katrina - just by sharing all you've been through this past many months will help you make a major decision. Your stress level is probably still at a high level, so take it easy and let the rest of your life decisions rest for a while.

October 11th, 2015, 10:33 AM
God Bless You.

October 11th, 2015, 11:45 AM
I agree with Sandy, give it some time, before you make a major decision.

But...if you do decide to move to Florida - we will give you a big Welcome!

October 11th, 2015, 01:32 PM
Oh my goodness you have been through so much this summer. It's a wonder you could even remember it all. So sorry about the loss of your Mom, I know that is an especially hard one. I would also postpone making any major decisions until maybe spring if you are able to put it off that long. Take care.

October 12th, 2015, 01:10 AM
I am exhausted just reading your schedule! So sorry for your loss, it sounds like it was a very difficult time.

October 12th, 2015, 02:22 AM
Katrina I am sorry for your loss.When you really need your Mom she will be there in some way,I have days where I can smell Windsong perfume (that's what my Mom wore and she's been gone for 15 yrs now)