PDA

View Full Version : Hooting in the Dark: The Night Owl Thread

kimsophia
October 11th, 2015, 12:28 AM
Hoot hoot! How are you? It's blacker than the inside of a cow here, as my father would say. I got over to Jo-Ann's to buy some matching ribbon and Steam a Seam Light 2, neither of which they had, so I bought some embroidery floss with my 20% off coupon and saved 40 cents. :) The cashier liked my project, though.

I slept about 16 hours altogether, so I guess I am caught up on sleep.

How are yoooooou? @,@

Midge
October 11th, 2015, 12:44 AM
That's my joann's experience too. The shelves are often cleaned out, and if you don't go to a sale right at the start of a weekend, you won't find what you are looking for. So I usually end up buying things I don't really need immediately because I want to use my coupons. Crazy consumer reasoning, right? Guess these companies count on that.

A friend called last minute and I went out to a late dinner at a nearby restaurant that I love. And they had an Irish group playing, and we loved that too. Lots of tipsy singers in the crowd! A fun evening, but nothing else accomplished. Well there is still Sunday to meet my weekend goals I guess. Glad you got some sleep. You must have been exhausted to sleep that long.

There's a new TV show premiering tonight on BBC America I want to catch. It's based on books by Bernard Cornwell - his Saxon books. Have you read any of his books? He's one of my faves for historical fiction. I loved his Richard Sharp series especially. So this is set in the 800s and is supposed to depict the Vikings invading England. Only 8 episodes. Hope it's good. Think I'll watch that and try to sleep. I know I can't sleep now - too much of the beer and Irish folk songs all coursing through my veins, lol.

kimsophia
October 11th, 2015, 12:53 AM
No, I haven't heard of that author. Is it called "The Last Kingdom"? I just read "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett, and loved it. I heard that was made into a miniseries as well.

toggpine
October 11th, 2015, 12:56 AM
Oh man. I have to clean the house. Not just the routine stuff, but shifting-stuff-around-the-house type of cleaning.
Bubba hooked me up with a lady who has a Singer treadle machine for sale. I go to look at it on Tuesday and hopefully bring it home. She says all of the parts move, but that the cabinet has had some of the wood replaced and might need some refinishing. The previous owner was a hoarder and when she passed her daughter was selling all sorts of her stuff. There are some water rings from glasses/cups being set directly on the wood. I can handle the wood work, my question is for any of you that have one: What else should I look for that would make it a bust for a working machine. I'm not as concerned with the antique collector value as I am about a useful working model.
Pat's friend was very upfront about the condition of the machine and cabinet. She also has some accessories for it. I'm cramming as much info into my noggin about these as I can. I figured I'd have until late spring before I could afford to start searching again. Early Christmas present from hubby! Whooo Hooo!
Back to sewing to make some space in here!

Hulamoon
October 11th, 2015, 01:48 AM
I can't find that show. Sounded good. I'm watching Martha make danish. lol I had a blunder with my cutter today, but I got all my sashing cut out after. It's getting dark so early, I need some light in here. Can't do overhead because it's opened beam. Oh bother.

stationarymom
October 11th, 2015, 02:00 AM
The Owls came out early tonight.I was out earlier looking for some warmer clothes but was not successful in my search(I hate being short and big).Last night I went out to eat with friends we ate at Uno's and the bill came to $101 I have never spent near that in That restaurant(They eat soup to nuts). Not too much else happening here now it's 1:00 am.

toggpine
October 11th, 2015, 02:14 AM
It's getting dark so early, I need some light in here. Can't do overhead because it's opened beam. Oh bother.
Until I get some track lighting installed to replace my low-voltage wire system, I bought a floor lamp and set it on my cutting table. It's one of those halogen task lamps with the adjustable arm. I have it set to the highest height and the lamp/bulb angled slightly to reduce shadows. It is not perfect, but it actually is pretty workable.
Hopefully I can convince the rest of the family I really want HomeDepot gift cards for Christmas. The track lighting I want will run about $150 for everything. (My sewing room doesn't have a ceiling light fixture of any sort. It was supposed to be a library/den.) I was just going to replace the low-voltage transformer, but no one makes a replacement. Not even IKEA where I bought the original system.
Tucking the kiddo in bed, and back to the sewing cave!

pcbatiks
October 11th, 2015, 02:21 AM
I just put two pork loins in the crock pot. That should keep us fed for a few days. :D I spent part of my day watching craftsy classes.

I'll watch a little more and then get some sleep.

Hootie hoot........

mommamarsh
October 11th, 2015, 02:21 AM
Been playing shuffle the fabrics , trying to get the order I like for a quilt for oldest DGD. Starched them and waiting for them to dry.
I will try to get strips cut tomorrow. Cutting is still the hardest part for me ! Once I start,no problem. So dumb ! Finished DGD 3's qult done this past week and need to get it mailed .Watched "sewing with Nancy" this a.m. and I want to try a landscape quilt . Hugs to all and caring thoughts for those in need .

jjkaiser
October 11th, 2015, 02:23 AM
I knew I shouldn't have drank that 8 p.m. coffee, it's now 12:15 and I am too wide awake. Am trying to wind myself down with wine but so far it's not working but I am feeling pretty good lol!! Had a marathon sewing week. My DH was out of town and I was on vacation from work so I got to sew morning noon and night, it was great. Have been keeping track of my hours on a little calendar bc I always wondered how long it takes to hq a full size quilt and I am making one for my sister for xmas. Well during my vacation I put in 57 hours quilting!! Today I spent all afternoon maki g bias binding and joining all the piwces, ironing, etc. It was so nice getting that out of the way even though it took longer to do than I thought. Maybe tomorrow I will take the day off from sewing. I need to find some photos somewhere in my attic and have other misc chores piled up.

auntiemern
October 11th, 2015, 02:28 AM
Another lat night for me...happens when DD doesn't get home til late. (earlier than last night though) Did not get to sleep til after 6 AM, due to some random itching I can't get a handle on. Hopefully I get to sleep faster than that tonight. Took 2mg of xanax and 2 benadryl. Most people it would knock out...not me though. Hoping to get a COC quilted tomorrow. I have a box of stuff that needs to get to Blondie. After that need to get cracking on the PICU tops that need to be finished...along with the rest of the pillowcases I didn't finish at the retreat. I got NOTHING done there this year. Time to try to go to bed and NOT itch. Later all, try to get some rest.

kimsophia
October 11th, 2015, 02:36 AM
I just put two pork loins in the crock pot. That should keep us fed for a few days. :D I spent part of my day watching craftsy classes.

I'll watch a little more and then get some sleep.

Hootie hoot........

I think I had to cut a pork loin in half to fit in my crock pot, let alone fit two! I made a lot of BBQ pulled pork. I portioned it into muffin tins and froze those, then bagged them up into three big Ziploc bags. That was a lot of pulled pork sandwiches...lol I got sick of them!

Midge
October 11th, 2015, 02:37 AM
No, I haven't heard of that author. Is it called "The Last Kingdom"? I just read "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett, and loved it. I heard that was made into a miniseries as well.

Yes, Ken Follett's books are very good too. I love his novels set in WWII as well as Pillars. Yes, the Bernard Cornwell series is called the Last Kingdom. Very exciting and typical of Cornwell with lots of period detail. His work is very well researched. He has some books set in Arthurian times as well. Also wrote one about the American Revolution called Redcoat that was good. I'm definitely in to watch this series, but my favorites are still the Richard Sharpe novels which follow Sharpe and a companion as they serve in the British army during the Napoleonic wars. Very exciting and again full of detail. Actually there were some tv movies made of a couple of the Sharpe books. Don't remember how many there were - maybe a dozen? They star Sean Bean as Richard Sharpe, and that was perfect casting.

Lorie, the show is on BBC America. Sorry you missed it. But I love watching Martha cook too. By the way, Lorie, there is a new science fiction show I'm really looking forward to called Expanse also based on great novels which will be on Syfy. Bigger budget than any of the stuff we've seen lately from that channel. I think they realize they are missing out. Not sure of the date though.

Hope the sewing machine works out for you. I don't know anything about vintage machines though, so I am no help whatsoever. You can probably work with the cabinet finish if the machine is halfway decent. The person being a hoarder, though, who knows. It could be a rusted out mess or it could have been sitting covered up for many years and just need TLC. Have you seen it yet? Maybe when you see it you could take some pics and start a thread so one of our resident experts will be sure to see it and give you a hand. Good luck!

Clothes shopping - ugh. I am totally over the entire clothes shopping experience. I feel for you Joan. But at least you had a fun dinner out....

Got to try to sleep now. Try the operative word....night all you owls.

pcbatiks
October 11th, 2015, 03:14 AM
I think I had to cut a pork loin in half to fit in my crock pot, let alone fit two! I made a lot of BBQ pulled pork. I portioned it into muffin tins and froze those, then bagged them up into three big Ziploc bags. That was a lot of pulled pork sandwiches...lol I got sick of them!

Hey Kim, my crock pot is oval shape...not sure of the size. I can put 2 small pork loins ( they are usually packaged 2 in a bundle together) season them, put slice onions on top, add a little water and let it cook for 10 hours! Yummy! My house will smell good in the morning. :D

toggpine
October 11th, 2015, 03:50 AM
Alrighty then.
I've run out of elastic for the goat blankets. I probably have more in the sewing chest, but that is more work to uncover than I want to do right now.
I'll attach the borders to the longer sides of the grandson's quilt and call it good for the night.
Happy hooting everyone!

Sylvia H
October 11th, 2015, 04:59 AM
I am up for the second time tonight - just overtired, so when I wake up, I can't go back to sleep. It doesn't help that JJ, the dog, is sleeping on the floor - SNORING!

kimsophia
October 11th, 2015, 05:03 AM
Oh man, a snoring dog! I have a cat that snores sometimes, but he's not in the bedroom!

Hulamoon
October 11th, 2015, 05:07 AM
Until I get some track lighting installed to replace my low-voltage wire system, I bought a floor lamp and set it on my cutting table. It's one of those halogen task lamps with the adjustable arm. I have it set to the highest height and the lamp/bulb angled slightly to reduce shadows. It is not perfect, but it actually is pretty workable.

I'm going to try that, probably the best I can do right now.6:30 is way to early to shut down.

Hulamoon
October 11th, 2015, 05:11 AM
Lorie, the show is on BBC America. Sorry you missed it. But I love watching Martha cook too. By the way, Lorie, there is a new science fiction show I'm really looking forward to called Expanse also based on great novels which will be on Syfy. Bigger budget than any of the stuff we've seen lately from that channel. I think they realize they are missing out. Not sure of the date though.

I saw that. It's not until Dec. Walking Dead will keep us busy for awhile. lol

Lightwriter
October 11th, 2015, 05:52 AM
Just woke up. Glad to sleep some after exhausting day yesterday. My hip hurt so badly when I went to bed I wanted to cry.

My SIL passed away unexpectedly this Summer and we helped her children go through her house. She was extremely organized but loved to decorate her house so she had a lot of "stuff" to sort. She sewed some, mostly making things like curtains and bed skirts. They let me have the sewing things. A couple of excellent scissors, two rotary cutters never opened, some rulers, sewing machine needles galore, a storage container for thread, a stash of buttons. She didn't have a large stash of fabric but did have a good quantity of muslin. I also got the sewing machine...it is an old Kenmore that I will have to find the model number on. She kept it in meticulous shape. It is in a solid wood cabinet that I wanted if nothing else.

The real story may be the rescue adventure. She had told us back in May before she passed in June that her and DH's great grandmothers' treadle was sitting on a back porch of the cabin she lived in when she first got married. She said I could have it. We had not gotten over there to get it when she died unexpectedly. We rode down to the cabin Friday. It took a four wheel drive truck and an excursion through overgrown fields to get there. She had told us the cabin was locked and the key lost. When we arrived the woods is on the verge of taking the cabin. Danny managed to get to the porch..I stayed with the truck since I didn't have boots and there was poison evident. He crawled through a window and verified it was there. He said the veneer needs repair on the top and the irons didn't look too bad.

So we are going back on a pretty day with a machete, a chain saw, lock cutters, boots, and help. Should be interesting. Have no idea what the machine is....probably vintage around 1890... Maybe a 128. I will keep you posted.

Have a happy Sunday.

Carol336
October 11th, 2015, 06:11 AM
Up early...again!!!! (been up since 4am). I seem to have no trouble falling asleep - it's staying asleep that does me in. Oh well!!!!

Heading out today for a little 3 day vaca...they're paving all the streets and drive way pads around our condo complex, and everyone will have to park1/2 mile away and hoof it into their unit.....so this team is getting out of dodge until the project is over. Heading to our niece's condo at the beach (Ocean City)....so nice there this time of year, with all the kiddies back in school!

I too need some lighting in my sewing room. I have a huge double window that provides great light during the day, but sewing after dusk is just impossible. I think I'm gonna try the lamp on the cutting table idea too!!!

A snoring dog...too funny!!! I'd be finding him another place to sleep - LOL

Andrea F
October 11th, 2015, 06:52 AM
Good morning all, although it's already 11:20 here. I'm sitting in front of my first coffee, hoping the caffeine kicks in quickly and I can go back to work. I was night owling over work until 4 a.m. yesterday and so wanted to have it finished but you know it's time to go to sleep when you read a sentence five times and still don't know what you've read, right?

It was DS1's 25th birthday yesterday and we had some family over for cake and coffee in the late afternoon. Before that, DS2 had a martial arts test and I can proudly announce he's a martial arts master now and entitled to wear the black belt (1st Dan). It was very impressive, espescially because there were also two men who were older than me that were tested for the 5th Dan. Dans are the master grades and they go up to the tenth Dan. My boys say, after the seventh Dan you would have to go to Korea to take the test.

I hope to get some sewing in today. I have to finish a tester bag and several quilt projects in progress that I want to get back to. I started a christmas quilt last year that I didn't finish and really want to have it done for this year. It's a lattice quilt and I have all the blocks done, just need to square them up, sew them together and quilt it.

Have a wonderful Sunday everybody!

toggpine
October 11th, 2015, 02:16 PM
Carol, if you have the same electrical problem I do, you don't have a light fixture in your ceiling. The light switch actually controls the power to the wall outlet.
I found a track lighting system at HomeDepot that will allow me top lug the lights into the wall outlet and power the lights that way. With the plug-in adapter, track and 3 lights package, plus the one extra light, it should run me about $150 for all of the pieces. I'll probably have my sister come and help me install it, as that kind of project can cause marital distress!

For now, that floor lamp is working. Necessity is the best thing for inspiring creativity! Make sure you get a higher watt bulb, as it will eliminate more shadows in the corners.
I think it's nearly two years since the transformer on the low-voltage wire lights melted down. That was sad, as I really liked the mini-spotlight lighting it provided in my sewing space.

pcbatiks
October 11th, 2015, 02:53 PM
Last nights subject was lighting.....or lack of. I saw this on AllBrands FB page. This is the 1st time I've seen it so I don't know any thing about it. I might try the floor lamp on the table trick too. Thanks Cathy!

Grace Luminess 5 or 10' Floor Lamp for Sewing Tables, Quilting Frames, Work Stations. Optional 2' Extensions at AllBrands.com (http://www.allbrands.com/categories/88/64329-grace-luminess-5-or-10-floor-lamp-for-sewing-table)

Hulamoon
October 11th, 2015, 03:10 PM
Ineresting Pam.. I'm wondering on how to build that yourself. I have two of these I was using for photography. I remembered after posting last night. I'm going to rig them up just to try out temporarily.

HDX 75-Watt Incandescent Clamp Light-HD-200PDQ - The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-75-Watt-Incandescent-Clamp-Light-HD-200PDQ/205139241)

K. McEuen
October 11th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Ineresting Pam.. I'm wondering on how to build that yourself. I have two of these I was using for photography. I remembered after posting last night. I'm going to rig them up just to try out temporarily.

HDX 75-Watt Incandescent Clamp Light-HD-200PDQ - The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-75-Watt-Incandescent-Clamp-Light-HD-200PDQ/205139241)

Building that frame out of PVC pipe should be easy.

On your clamp on lights, if you get LED bulbs they won't put out so much heat. The extra heat might be good in the winter, but in the summer you might feel like you are under interrogation.

sewlucky
October 11th, 2015, 03:59 PM

I loved PIllars of the Earth! I have the second book to read on my ereader, just haven't gotten to it yet. The mini series is excellent! Look for it on Netflix!

sewlucky
October 11th, 2015, 04:08 PM
I was up until after 1 last night, but not sewing, working on homework. Its a long weekend here, so today I'm hoping to get some cooking done for next week. I need to get to the grocery store first, if hubby ever decides he's ready. He thought he was, but now he has just gotten a call that the person wanting to buy our winter tires for our Jeep (that we don't have anymore) is on his way over now. Might have to get my knitting out now, lol. I wonder if I will have time tomorrow to make a tote bag. That would be fun.

toggpine
October 11th, 2015, 04:44 PM
We use the clamp lamps in the barn with infrared bulbs during kidding season to warm the kids. I don't have a place to attach them that would be close enough to an outlet.

That light bar is interesting, but is more expensive and would take up more floor space than the track lighting option, at least in my situation.

bubba
October 11th, 2015, 05:10 PM
Hopefully I can convince the rest of the family I really want HomeDepot gift cards for Christmas. The track lighting I want will run about $150 for everything. (My sewing room doesn't have a ceiling light fixture of any sort. It was supposed to be a library/den.) I was just going to replace the low-voltage transformer, but no one makes a replacement. Not even IKEA where I bought the original system.
Tucking the kiddo in bed, and back to the sewing cave!

Have you checked at Fry's? That place has everything!! MM works right across the road from it, luckily he works graveyard or he would spend his lunchtime there everyday! I always know where he is or has been when he's late coming home in the morning!

Hulamoon
October 11th, 2015, 05:25 PM
This is the Fry's my aunt took me to. It's a great company,fun.

Fry's Electronics. Welcome to our Burbank CA. Store Location. (http://www.frys.com/ac/storeinfo/burbank-location-frys-electronics-hours-maps-directions)

Carol336
October 11th, 2015, 09:19 PM
Carol, if you have the same electrical problem I do, you don't have a light fixture in your ceiling. The light switch actually controls the power to the wall outlet.
I found a track lighting system at HomeDepot that will allow me top lug the lights into the wall outlet and power the lights that way. With the plug-in adapter, track and 3 lights package, plus the one extra light, it should run me about $150 for all of the pieces. I'll probably have my sister come and help me install it, as that kind of project can cause marital distress!

This sounds interesting, just wondering about the plug - does it hang down from the ceiling? run down the wall? Can't seem to get a mental picture of how it'll look

Granny Judy
October 12th, 2015, 12:53 AM
I found this thread on vintage machines.. a few links to help you clean, operate(fill bobbins) and repair those older ladies.

HOW TO CLEAN UP and use a vintage sewing machine - videos by Muv and Fav (http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/how-clean-up-use-vintage-sewing-machine-videos-muv-fav-t167789.html)

Hope this helps some of you with your vintage machines. It sure got me going with mine!!!