PDA

View Full Version : Question for garment peeps

Pandabear
October 8th, 2015, 11:50 PM
My DS is going to homecoming soon and hasn't found a suit vest he likes. I'm wondering how difficult it is to make one. I was thinking of stopping by the fabric store this weekend and looking up patterns.

Also, what kind of material should I look at if I decide to go this route??

Thanks for any help/advice.

Ahamblin
October 9th, 2015, 12:11 AM
I have made a few vests for my middle son. The pattern I use is Kwik Sew #3662. If you have any experience with garment sewing it should not be too difficult. I would make one either without pockets or the fake pockets which will make the pattern a little easier. Also, follow the directions carefully. The turning it right side out seems strange but worked out beautifully. I used suit type fabric (similar to Ponte). It was a blend with just a touch of spandex so that it gave a little and was washable. My son's a bartender and it had to be able to be washed. The last one I made was charcoal with fine light grey and purple threads. Matching the stripes was a challenge and that one took be quite a few days. I would consider a solid color. Good luck and would love to see pictures when you finish.

Jean Sewing Machine
October 9th, 2015, 12:43 AM
I like Kwik Sew patterns also for men's wear. You can use almost any fabric, most people use a slick polyester for the lining. They are really easy to make, just shoulder seams, side seams and possibly a center back seam.