PDA

View Full Version : My Maine Coon history!

Divine Daisy
November 3rd, 2011, 11:22 PM
I got my first Maine Coon (Harvey) in 1984. He was named after the giant rabbit in the film of the same name. He was a red shadow and a lovely boy. I then got Bagherra, a black boy who was a menace but such an old softy, i adored him. By then i had the bug and Vienna came to join us. I bred her (she was a terrable mother btw lol) with Baggy and from there began my dynasty! In total i bred for almost 10 wonderful years but as work got busier i didnt have the time to devote to them. Louis was a cream boy i kept from a litter for Stud but.....he didnt like girls!!!!!!

After i gave up breeding i kept the old crew, how was i ever going to be without them? My breeder friend took my queens and i had all the boys fixed. I lost Harvey pretty young from renal failure, Baggy, Louis and two old moggies I had from pre Coon days lived to be a grand old age. Daisy of course was one, a real Diva, totally divine who i loved totally and Ben a very special needs tom i rescued more years ago that i care to remember.and they died within weeks of each other aged 18 and 17 respectively. Soon afterwards i got a call from my friend who summond me to her place. What did i find but a huge silver grey boy, the best and cutest kitten either of us had ever seen and he was from my line! She insisted that he was mine and that i must take him home. She has regretted it ever sinse mind you and continues to tell me about it laughsssss. Along with Boris came Geordie a brown tabby boy and such a charactor. i lost first Baggy, aged 14, Louis 18 and tragically Geordie aged only 8......renal failure again.

So then there was Boris

here he is holding a cap i was knitting for a doll.

and here being Mammy's ickle baby

All his life he has have company and is lonely and so at the weekend Seamus will be coming to live with us. My friend is now having to give up breeding due to ill health and she offered me Seamus because i have coveted him for years! It looks like a rather large tabby and white boy called Archie may come too, he lost one of his legs and she doesnt trust anyone to have him except me. Hmmmmmm i smell soft soap there lol.

Anyway as of sunday we will be a multi cat family again. For those who asked about the coons, i hope this answers your questions. to those who didnt, sorry to bore you!

Monique
November 3rd, 2011, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the information. Did not know any of that as I am not a cat lover. As a matter of fact, I am allergic to cats and dogs.

mianmom
November 3rd, 2011, 11:44 PM
How beautiful! We justlost our cat of over 20 years the end of september. My poor DD misses her so much! I keep saying no more cats because I know that I will never find one as sweet as her, but I know I will probably give in.

janluna
November 3rd, 2011, 11:51 PM
Not boring to me! I love the maine coons! They are such big baby's. They have such big personalities! I have never owned one but a friend of mine has always had them. My Dad had one he called Grey Ghost. The only trouble with that was he was part Russian Blue. He was the most beautiful cat I have ever seen. The reason for the name? He wouldn't be any where around and all you had to do was think about him, and he would appear. Like magic! So we called him the ghost. He was the prettiest color grey. Just a glowing, luminescent, silver blue grey. I've never seen another cat like him. And Huge! The cat was the size of a small cocker spaniel. He weighed in at 38 pounds and the vet said he wasn't fat. He was just a huge cat! I always wanted one, but DH is a cat hater. Or so he says. However, if one lands in his lap, they both purr! LOL Hugs, Jan L.

Divine Daisy
November 3rd, 2011, 11:54 PM
lol jan. boris weighs in at 35 lbs as of this week

rebeccas-sewing
November 4th, 2011, 06:24 AM
I've only had one cat in my lifetime that I can truly say was totally mine. My boyfried at college hitchhiked from New York to Philadelphia with her in a box (this was in the early 70's.) You can imagine how surprised I was when he opened the box. I can't remember why he decided to bring me a kitten. She was a Calico and very sweet. I kept her in my dorm room (I had my own room at the time) until I graduated a year or so later. Her only problem is she liked to eat plastic. I had to be sure no plastic was around otherwise she'd be eating it. My mom would cat sit on occassion. Mom said she loved to sit on the piano bench and place a paw on the keys. I guess she enjoyed the sound it would make. There were other cats at Mom's. One time Pumpkin (my cat) decided to gather the other cats and attack the dog sleeping on the floor in the livingroom. Mom said she was sitting there reading and all of a sudden Pumpkin (the ring leader and two other cats came flying around the corner to attack the poor dog. I'm sure Mom intervened. I don't remember any trips to the vet for a wounded dog. LOL

Loonwatcher
November 4th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Alison - thanks for the history of your cats. Boris is a cutie. I have heard about Maine Coon Cats but don't know any. Tell us more about the breed. Are they all large and long haired like Boris?

Rebecca - love the story about your Pumpkin, the ring leader. Too funny!

Patrice
November 4th, 2011, 07:09 AM
he is beautiful! I have one too! His name is Milo

Blondie
November 4th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Such lovely furry creatures! I've never had a Coon. But my ragdoll, Dinah is way larger than my chihuahua, Gracie. I've owned many cats, and don't consider myself a cat person. Odd isn't it? I am very allergic to the fur but will be a devoted purchaser of allergy meds for Dinah. She totally adores me and it is a real ditto relationship for me.

Congrats on adding to your family. I am sure you will be totally twitterpated all over again.

PS - Rebecca, love the story. What ever happened with the BF? He sounds as if he was a devoted beau!

Bubby
November 4th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the pictures...not being a cat person I had no idea if you were talking about! In my neck of the woods a Coon is a racoon! I learned something today....thanks!!!

twnkeyes
November 4th, 2011, 09:14 AM
I am not a cat lover though I had one when I was 18 and loved him to death. The reason? He was more like a dog, large, came when I called his name and was self sufficient, I adored him. Now, with retirement on the horizon and a move to our ranch I want a cat. Why? I read about Maine Coons and thought, now THAT'S a cat! I do have one question, do they shed? Thanks!

stitching woman
November 4th, 2011, 09:56 AM
That is one big cat! He is a very handsome boy love the history thanks for sharing.

Mrs.Sew&Sew
November 4th, 2011, 10:00 AM
I'm with Barb. Coon's here are raccoon's! But I love the stories of all your baby's. I have 2 cats both rescues my hubby either brought home or raised by hand. I love them both and cats in general. :D Thanks again I will have to see about getting one when my others are no more that might work better here for us we basically live in the woods and if you have a bigger cat it can defend it's self outside.

donnah818
November 4th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Loved the info on Maine Coons. I have never owned one but I have always had cats. Or rather they have owned me. I have 2 ferral rescues right now,and yes they can be tamed ( sometimes). More photos of the big guy please

Divine Daisy
November 4th, 2011, 11:13 AM
I am not a cat lover though I had one when I was 18 and loved him to death. The reason? He was more like a dog, large, came when I called his name and was self sufficient, I adored him. Now, with retirement on the horizon and a move to our ranch I want a cat. Why? I read about Maine Coons and thought, now THAT'S a cat! I do have one question, do they shed? Thanks!

twnkeyes

Maine Coons are known as the dog lovers cat. They are gentle giants. very loyal, loving and chatty. they churp and trill in greeting and actually whenever they have something to say lol. Very large with big heavy bones a 5 year old boy can weigh up to 35/36lbs. Girls are a bit more dainty with an average size of 20lbs ish. They shed twice a year, again very like a dog. the autum is not much as they rid themselves of their summer coat. They grow a very heavy winter coat, mature males have a mane. i could go on and on lol. if you would like advice pm me lol. am scared of boring everyone.

KiltedQuilter
November 4th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Mammy's ickle baby

LOL! :D BIG baby more like!

I like pussy cats, but I have to say I am a dog person.

Heather1967
November 4th, 2011, 01:40 PM
I have a maine coon cat. Her name is Lily. She doesn't shed like my ragdoll, but she still sheds. Everytime she sits on something she leave fur behind in clumps.

If you are looking for a maine coon that is what you read about, get a male. Lily is NOT a maine coon in any sense of the word, but she's a purebred cat and I got her from a reputable breeder. She's skittish and hides a lot. She is lovely and will lay on you whenever she gets the chance. She is amazingly agile. I remember the breeder said she had to put a roof on the big enclosure they kept their males in outside because they always climbed up and over it. That thing was at least 30 feet high.

So, yes, if you want a cat dog, get a male maine coon or a male ragdoll. Both are very similar in personality and temperment, but only in the males. Our ragdolls (I have had 3) are all very dog like. They come when you call them, they always want to be in the room with you, but they aren't cuddlers, they just want to be near their people.

Heather

Heather1967
November 4th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Ooops, should have read the beginning, I thought i had and I see now that it was the top of page 2. Sorry 'bout that. The cat you have in the picture looks like my Lily but she is a tiny thing. Barely 8lbs. My vet asked me when I got her if I was sure she was a maine coon. Yup, she was, but she had to fight from the very first for her food and I don't think she got much. All the breeders other cats were HUGE.

Heather