PDA

View Full Version : Amy Pet Peeve...

easyquilts
October 8th, 2015, 04:39 PM
PThis has nothing to do with quilting.... However, it has bern on my mind a long time....

I was once an Englidh teacher, do words and proper grammar matter to me...

My pet peeve...the thing that mskes me see red us the incorrect use if the word "less"... By people who should know better.... Commercials, famous people, scriptwriters,...people in general...

You can have...

Less water
Less fear
Less food
Less knowledge

You cannot have fewer any if the above things... Just less...

But you can have

Fewer pencils
Fewer glasses
Fewer books

You cannot have LESS books, glasses, or less pencils...because LESS does not refer to the plural....FEWER does..

It just gets to me when I hear people who should know better misuse LESS.. Happens all the time... You hear it all over TV and audio.... You'd think those who produce commercials, and write scripts....or do talk shows...would know that LESS never modifies things...FEWER does.

Sorry.. I meant MY Pet Peeve... My vision is one if mt stresses right now...

Jean Sewing Machine
October 8th, 2015, 04:59 PM
How about to, too and two? Drives me crazy! And "I seen it". I taught college grammar for 7-1/2 years, makes the grammar gene in me go crazy at times!

mischiefkat
October 8th, 2015, 05:19 PM
How about this one irregardless.

Granny Fran
October 8th, 2015, 05:21 PM
Sorta like: the fullest extent of the law???

Midge
October 8th, 2015, 05:29 PM
Or my personal favorite - lose and loose. Apparently there are lots of loosers in this world. Sometimes more of those than actual losers.

Anyone else cringe at incorrect verb conjugations?

Sandy Navas
October 8th, 2015, 05:54 PM
Mine is using the word THAT instead of WHO.

Mrs. Price drilled that one into my head (with a power drill, no less) and I cringe when I hear someone say "The man THAT was driving the car . . . " when it should be "The man WHO was driving the car . . . "

But, I do find myself using some colloquialisms because I'm being silly.

Vonnie
October 8th, 2015, 05:58 PM
Even though English is my one and only language, grammar rules still puzzle me. And I'm a college graduate and graduated with honors. For every rule, there seems to be an exception. I have had several people tell me that English is the hardest language to learn. I believe it, I'm still learning.

shirleyknot
October 8th, 2015, 06:23 PM
All of the above, and a few more. English communications major here!

dwil23
October 8th, 2015, 06:53 PM
How about to, too and two? Drives me crazy! And "I seen it". I taught college grammar for 7-1/2 years, makes the grammar gene in me go crazy at times!

Me too, Jean! I wasn't even that good in Language Arts, as they call it today.

I do have a funny story, though. We have a coworker who I will call "K" that is forever saying "I seen...." Another coworker , "M" has tried unsuccessfully to break her of this bad habit. One night recently "K" came in and said to "M" - "I seen two men in the parking lot that looked suspicious" "M" again tried to correct her by saying "I SAW two men in the parking lot" to which "K" replied "you seen them too?"

asta
October 8th, 2015, 07:05 PM
Mine is Kindergarten, especially when a kindergarten teacher says they teach Kindeegarden.

Angelia
October 8th, 2015, 07:18 PM
English teacher here, too (to, two)!

Less and fewer bug me as well-- I always tell my students, if you can count it, use fewer; if you can't, use less. You can add less flour to a recipe, or you can use fewer cups of flour.

I'm also seeing more mix-ups of than and then.

My favorite mistake in a paper: "Halloween is a copulation of many different cultural traditions." :)

jjkaiser
October 8th, 2015, 07:29 PM
If my husband bought a bag of candy and gave me three pieces, would I have less than him or fewer? I never paid any attention to these two words before and I am not sure I even "get it." I did not go to college but have been a secretary forever so I pride myself on good spelling and (I thought) above average grammar. I am not mocking you, please don't take this the wrong way!

ceiliam
October 8th, 2015, 07:30 PM
Mine is...me and Tom done this (Tom was there for an example) drive me crazy.,

kimsophia
October 8th, 2015, 07:36 PM
"Weird Al" Yankovic has a fun song about Word Crimes...mine is using "literally" instead of "figuratively".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc

Angelia
October 8th, 2015, 07:39 PM
If my husband bought a bag of candy and gave me three pieces, would I have less than him or fewer? I never paid any attention to these two words before and I am not sure I even "get it." I did not go to college but have been a secretary forever so I pride myself on good spelling and (I thought) above average grammar. I am not mocking you, please don't take this the wrong way!

You would have fewer pieces of candy than he.

bubba
October 8th, 2015, 08:02 PM
A man I used to work with hated when you ended with the word at.........Where are you at? Where is that at? Of course, we all did it on purpose....

jjkaiser
October 8th, 2015, 08:21 PM
A man I used to work with hated when you ended with the word at.........Where are you at? Where is that at? Of course, we all did it on purpose....

Some parts of the country just talk like that. When I lived in Kentucky everybody ended their speech like this. It didn't bother me. I thought it was kind of funny.

ceegee
October 8th, 2015, 08:44 PM
We retired and moved to Florida, and one of the expressions that drives me crazy is hearing "I'm waiting ON you" instead of "waiting FOR you". My husband goes nuts when he hears of someone "having their pitcher made", instead of "having their picture taken".

shirleyknot
October 8th, 2015, 09:06 PM
You would have fewer pieces of candy than he.

You would also have much less candy than he, since you have fewer pieces. :D

easyquilts
October 8th, 2015, 09:07 PM
How about to, too and two? Drives me crazy! And "I seen it". I taught college grammar for 7-1/2 years, makes the grammar gene in me go crazy at times!y

So that's it... We have a grammar gene... That explains a lot!

easyquilts
October 8th, 2015, 09:11 PM
Even though English is my one and only language, grammar rules still puzzle me. And I'm a college graduate and graduated with honors. For every rule, there seems to be an exception. I have had several people tell me that English is the hardest language to learn. I believe it, I'm still learning.

I don't doubt that Englush us a very difficult language to learn.... I wouldn't want to have to learn it.... Writing Englidh can be especially difficult..

easyquilts
October 8th, 2015, 09:16 PM
English teacher here, too (to, two)!

Less and fewer bug me as well-- I always tell my students, if you can count it, use fewer; if you can't, use less. You can add less flour to a recipe, or you can use fewer cups of flour.

I'm also seeing more mix-ups of than and then.

My favorite mistake in a paper: "Halloween is a copulation of many different cultural traditions." :)

You had me laughing out loud..... And you explained the less/fewer thing better than I did.... I still can't believe how often I hear that one...

easyquilts
October 8th, 2015, 09:24 PM
K

No offense taken..at all... Believe me... I have known some very well. educated people who use poor grammar.

My Mom was a church secretary for a very long time..... Her grammar was perfect...

You would have fewer pieces of candy...you can count the pieces., but less candy...

easyquilts
October 8th, 2015, 09:26 PM

The rule us... Never end a sentence with a preposition. "At" drives me nut, also.

easyquilts
October 8th, 2015, 09:27 PM
Mine is...me and Tom done this (Tom was there for an example) drive me crazy.,

I'm with you there!

Dollyquilts
October 8th, 2015, 09:46 PM
My dad was a grammar Nazi. He engrained proper grammar in us three kids from an early age. He also hated euphemisms. I've worked for court reporters for 40-plus years and attended court reporting school until I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and dropped out. Some things I can forgive, such as effect and affect, although effect is used as a noun and affect is almost always used as a verb or adverb unless it's used in the psychological sense meaning demeanor. I can't for the life of me understand the confusion among there, their and they're and its and it's. And what's with throwing an apostrophe in plurals. Some of my court reporting friends and those in the field have difficulty reading Facebook posts from their friends. Some say they've been tempted to unfriend people because of flagrant grammar transgressions.

I hope we're not making anyone reluctant to post here. I'm sure that was not the intent of this thread, and I would never unfriend someone for grammar or spelling. My BFF is a horrible speller and knows she is a horrible speller.

SewnByBee
October 8th, 2015, 10:08 PM
Mine is how woman and women Is being used or not used.
Lately the NEWS refers to women as woman every time, drives me crazy.
In every situation where you know the subject is clearly more than one and they still say woman.
Has anyone been bothered by this ?

CraftHer
October 8th, 2015, 10:15 PM
Love this post. I have many of the same pet peeves and commit some of the same offenses!

One of mine is your vs you're.

I cannot keep straight is effect vs affect. What is the rule?

jjkaiser
October 8th, 2015, 10:30 PM
Ok easyquilts now you have me really confused. If less never is plural then why is the word after "less" as in less glasses, less quilts, etc always in plural form? Following your train of thought you would say less glass, less quilt but that I know is wrong and it even sounds wrong. Are you sure you have the rule right? Begging your pardon as an English teacher and far more wise on the subject than me. Or should I say far more wise than I? hehe look what you started!! You are making me crazier than I started out! I know I will fall asleep tonight forming 'right' and 'wrong' sentences in my head.

shirleyknot
October 8th, 2015, 10:53 PM
Ok easyquilts now you have me really confused. If less never is plural then why is the word after "less" as in less glasses, less quilts, etc always in plural form? Following your train of thought you would say less glass, less quilt but that I know is wrong and it even sounds wrong. Are you sure you have the rule right? Begging your pardon as an English teacher and far more wise on the subject than me. Or should I say far more wise than I? hehe look what you started!! You are making me crazier than I started out! I know I will fall asleep tonight forming 'right' and 'wrong' sentences in my head.

Because the proper word here would be 'fewer', not less. You can have less milk in fewer glasses, but you couldn't have fewer milk in less glasses.

easyquilts
October 8th, 2015, 11:00 PM

LESS is never used in the plural form...as in LESS glasses,., or LESS quilts... The correct form is FEWER glasses, and. FEWER quilts...

As someone else explained it....... The correct form is LESS flour, but FEWER cups of flour....if it can be counted, always use FEWER.

Another bigger us the misuse of "me" and "I".

The rule is that ME is always the object of the preposition.... for me, to me,.... You would never say for I, or to I.. Just listen to how the sentence sounds...

For instance...

The party was thrown for you and (me or I.

Who was the party thrown for... for me...not for I.

Gee... I hope I haven't made matters worse! Old Englidh teachers never died...they just get lost in the words...

Kgrammiecaz
October 8th, 2015, 11:15 PM
I can normally hold my own, my job is editing engineering reports. But there are still many words that confuse me.

Angelia
October 8th, 2015, 11:15 PM
Sometimes you need to think of the missing word.

You are more wise than I (am). You are more wise than me (am).

I am taller than she (is). I am taller than her (is).

Doing this can make the choice easier! :)

Jean Sewing Machine
October 8th, 2015, 11:54 PM

We called them count and non count nouns, use fewer with count nouns, less with non count nouns. I have fewer dollars, but less money.

JCY
October 8th, 2015, 11:54 PM
One of my pet grammar peeves is: effect & affect. They often get it wrong in the newspaper. Poor proof reading, or too much dependence on spell check. If the word is spelled correctly, but not used properly in the sentence, spell check won't catch it. Let's face it, this younger generation isn't as well versed in grammar as we oldsters are. I wonder if any of them even have to learn the times table now? Kids are allowed to use calculators in school these days.

AnnieF
October 9th, 2015, 12:00 AM
There's a football coach (LSU) named Les Miles, and every time I hear his name I yell "fewer!" at the TV.

SallyO'Sews
October 9th, 2015, 01:05 AM
The rule us... Never end a sentence with a preposition. "At" drives me nut, also.

Yes. A preposition is something you should never end a sentence with. :D

My mom ALWAYS corrected my grammar and usage from as far back as I can remember. As an adult, she suffered two major head injuries twenty years apart. Following the second one she had a series of strokes that caused dementia; she could no longer read and was unable to remember our names. Nevertheless, when we went to visit her, she asked my then 10-year-old son David what his plans were for the day. "Well, me and Jonny are going over to..."

"Jonny and I, dear," Mom gently interrupted, even though she clearly had no idea who either David or his brother Jonathan was! Some habits just die really hard!

TMP
October 9th, 2015, 01:11 AM
I know someone who says, "It is what is " anytime they can work it in to the conversation. It drives me bananas.
Or " I love me some" .

Angelia
October 9th, 2015, 01:30 AM
Yes. A preposition is something you should never end a sentence with. :D

My mom ALWAYS corrected my grammar and usage from as far back as I can remember. As an adult, she suffered two major head injuries twenty years apart. Following the second one she had a series of strokes that caused dementia; she could no longer read and was unable to remember our names. Nevertheless, when we went to visit her, she asked my then 10-year-old son David what his plans were for the day. "Well, me and Jonny are going over to..."

"Jonny and I, dear," Mom gently interrupted, even though she clearly had no idea who either David or his brother Jonathan was! Some habits just die really hard!

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put."

Sometimes the preposition at the end is the only sensible way to speak! :)

easyquilts
October 9th, 2015, 07:56 AM
Sometimes you need to think of the missing word.

You are more wise than I (am). You are more wise than me (am).

I am taller than she (is). I am taller than her (is).r

Doing this can make the choice easier! :)

That's what I was trying to say... You have to "hear" how the sentence sounds... In the case if an "I or me" choice, you would be trying each word, to see which makes more sense in the sentence...

easyquilts
October 9th, 2015, 08:00 AM
There's a football coach (LSU) named Les Miles, and every time I hear his name I yell "fewer!" at the TV.

I do that a lot, too... Yell, I mean..... At the TV and radio... It seems to me that the "less/fewer" thing has gotten do common... You hear the incorrect use if LESS all the time....

easyquilts
October 9th, 2015, 08:02 AM
"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put."

Sometimes the preposition at the end is the only sensible way to speak! :)

How about...

I won't put up with putting a preposition at the end if a sentence....

Ginny B
October 9th, 2015, 08:22 AM
This thread had me nodding my head. I have always loved English. Much to my boys' annoyance. I still correct them and they are grown men. :)

Love the explanation of the use of "fewer" and "less". I bust out laughing at the Les Miles comment! That will always help me remember the rule. :) Thanks Annie.

lourixe
October 9th, 2015, 08:47 AM
As a squirrel, I can tell the difference between "Your nuts" and "You're nuts!" :D

As a foreigner, I was also surprised by how often quilters write "complimentary colors" when they mean "complementary colors".

Vonnie
October 9th, 2015, 08:52 AM
I get irritated whenever someone says "Hash tag" or "you guys".

easyquilts
October 9th, 2015, 09:10 AM
As a squirrel, I can tell the difference between "Your nuts" and "You're nuts!" :D

As a foreigner, I was also surprised by how often quilters write "complimentary colors" when they mean "complementary colors".

Great catch!

catmama635
October 9th, 2015, 09:19 AM
What drives me nuts is people saying "goes" instead of "said", or saying "like"-- "...and I was like "what the heck is with all this bad grammar?" And she was like "I don't know!".

Monique
October 9th, 2015, 09:39 AM
Don't ax me how I know!!

GrammaBabs
October 9th, 2015, 09:45 AM
As I age.. i no longer worry about the proper punctuation, spelling and a slew of other things when typing that were so important to me!!!! I guess i've just learned to go with the flow, and when it matters,, I can hang with the best of them i think...

What DOES bug me though,, is the young women and men who are given the job of "new reporters" etc... that lack the polish i expect from them... ESPECIALLY the young women who end everything they say as a question,,, by going "up" at the last word... LOL
OH and then there is the man who used "dude"... as an answer...:))) So here's me "getting older"...........................GB

MaryB
October 10th, 2015, 03:34 AM
I loved the squirrel's nuts! Now, instead of getting peeved I can LOL at 'your' for 'you're' . Thank you for that one, lourixe.

easyquilts
October 10th, 2015, 08:47 AM
What drives me nuts is people saying "goes" instead of "said", or saying "like"-- "...and I was like "what the heck is with all this bad grammar?" And she was like "I don't know!".
I

I totally agree! Both are annoying...

easyquilts
October 10th, 2015, 08:49 AM
As I age.. i no longer worry about the proper punctuation, spelling and a slew of other things when typing that were so important to me!!!! I guess i've just learned to go with the flow, and when it matters,, I can hang with the ubest of them i think...

What DOES bug me though,, is the young women and men who are given the job of "new reporters" etc... that lack the polish i expect from them... ESPECIALLY the young women who end everything they say as a question,,, by going "up" at the last word... LOL
OH and then there is the man who used "dude"... as an answer...:))) So here's me "getting older"...........................GB

That question at the end of every sentence.... You just want yo yell STOP,

CheyMom14
October 10th, 2015, 09:34 AM
All of my DH family exchanges let for leave. Drives me nuts.

CheyMom14
October 10th, 2015, 09:35 AM
How about...

I won't put up with putting a preposition at the end if a sentence....

Exactly!!!

auntiemern
October 10th, 2015, 03:04 PM
I think my biggest pet peeve in grammar would be, could of, would of, should of, instead of have.....how do people even come up with that? I do also agree however, that some English, or grammatical errors, are more likely a regional issue, than flat out grammatical errors. It is just how some people talk, where they are from.

Eliza
October 10th, 2015, 05:28 PM
One word misuse that annoys me is "stationary" instead of "stationery". Our local radio station has an advert: "Do you love stationary as much as you love lollies?" Every time I hear it I am tempted to phone and correct them. Maybe the stationery is stationary? :)

Midge
October 10th, 2015, 08:30 PM
One more to get off my chest. I cringe when I see people make plurals incorrectly. They cannot understand that a plural noun and a possessive noun have different meanings. I even see this on websites that are allegedly edited.

easyquilts
October 10th, 2015, 11:16 PM
Marilyn... The regional angle is an interesting... English is a living language.....changing all the time... regiinnal differences aren't as prevalent as they once were..... But, I'm willing to bet there are still some astound. Interesting....

easyquilts
October 20th, 2015, 11:46 AM
All of my DH family exchanges let for leave. Drives me nuts.

Oh... I has forgotten thst one... As in "Leave us go to the store for you,". I remember that from my childhood.... Some if the neighborhood kids talked that way...

Kat Smith
October 20th, 2015, 08:33 PM
One that gets me is open or close the light.

happygram
October 21st, 2015, 02:48 AM
This hear thread, like, was surely fun too read.

I'm sure I make lots of mistakes, but the ones mentioned were right on target. And now if we talk about over used expressions...

at the end of the day---it is what it is----hit it out of the ballpark---ad nauseum

Thanks for this fun thread.

amartin24
October 21st, 2015, 09:34 AM
I am well educated, have been a technical writer/editor in past jobs, and I'm usually good with my spelling and grammar. However, my two that I always get mixed up on are further/farther. I will avoid saying them just because I can't get it straight which one to use!