PDA

View Full Version : donation refused :(

Cathy F
October 7th, 2015, 01:58 PM
Last week I called the Salvation Army to make a furniture donation, they were due to come today to pick it up I waited in all morning for them. You can imagine my disappointment when I was told by the drivers it was not in good enough condition to be accepted ( the dresser drawers are not missing just in the house). It is 30 years old and has a few scratches nothing that Old English wouldn't cover. Nope it was denied. Shaking my head, I just don't understand it. With the need out there you would think someone could use this.

shermur
October 7th, 2015, 02:15 PM
IT's our society, Cathy. There is a vast populous that wants the latest trends. I think the dresser is just divine and I agree, it's mind blowing that the donation was denied!

When we attempted to sell our home last year? There was so much negative feedback regarding the absence of stainless steel appliances, the landscaping NOT up to a viewer's taste...most of the negative feedback was specific wants! IT took a year on the market and ended short selling (giving the house away).

I don't get it either.....it seems there are vast people in today's world that has no common sense, no imagination and no sense of potential. And heaven forbid they feel the least bit challenged to make something their own......

Pandabear
October 7th, 2015, 02:26 PM
Call Goodwill. Everything I've ever dropped off has been accepted. I even have a glass bathroom mirror, you know the big ones contractors glue to the wall, I called them about. They said they would take it, just to bring it on over.

Dottikins
October 7th, 2015, 02:28 PM
Cathy, I sometimes wonder if we haven't raised an entitled generation that wants to start off with what it took mom and dad 25 years to accumulate. We have made it so easy for them, they feel they are due the best!

K. McEuen
October 7th, 2015, 02:29 PM
Heck, I would have taken it because it is wood. So much of the furniture today is pressed board and just doesn't hold up. I know that Goodwill here won't take TV's that aren't flat panel anymore. We have one that works perfectly, with a remote, and no one wants it. I may stick it out front with a "free to good home" sign on it and see if the neighbors want it. Last time I did that with en entertainment center it was gone in less than 15 minutes.

Dottikins
October 7th, 2015, 02:30 PM
Pandabear is right--Goodwill accepts anything here in our local area. Anything donated provides a job for someone to sort, etc.

jjkaiser
October 7th, 2015, 02:46 PM
That is incredible that they wouldn't accept it. I have seen some really cool things on Pinterest which would be perfect for that piece missing the drawers, like removing some of the wooden divider pieces to make one single large opening and then finding some cute baskets to turn it into cubbies. Too bad you don't live in Milwaukee do you

RiverMomm
October 7th, 2015, 03:16 PM
This has happened to me as well as some of my friends in the past with Salvation Army in Missouri. I think the issue with your dresser was more of a size/weight thing rather than it's condition. It is solid wood, pretty big and darn heavy looking. The drivers have to move it, the prospective buyers have to be able to move/transport it and floor space at the resell shop are all factors in terms of acceptance. It's just easier for the drivers to say it's the condition.

RiverMomm
October 7th, 2015, 03:18 PM
There was so much negative feedback regarding the absence of stainless steel appliances

And I have decided that I NEVER, ever want stainless steel appliances again!!! (or to hang/remove wallpaper ever again LOL)

easyquilts
October 7th, 2015, 03:20 PM
IT's our society, Cathy. There is a vast populous that wants the latest trends. I think the dresser is just divine and I agree, it's mind blowing that the donation was denied!

When we attempted to sell our home last year? There was so much negative feedback regarding the absence of stainless steel appliances, the landscaping NOT up to a viewer's taste...most of the negative feedback was specific wants! IT took a year on the market and ended short selling (giving the house away).

I don't get it either.....it seems there are vast people in today's world that has no common sense, no imagination and no sense of potential. And heaven forbid they feel the least bit challenged to make something their own......

You see it all the time on shows like House Hunters... Young couples just starting out want it ALL.... NOW... It's disgusting.... Everything has to be top of the line....and if it isn't....it gets replaced.... Stainless steel appliances, hardwood floors...the real thing... Granite/soapstone/Quartz countertops... I get so tired of hearing that the bathrooms are "small"... ... It's rediculous... Kitchens, of course must be BIG...

My son and his wife just sold their older home... They ran into the same problems... It was a challenge...

Angelia
October 7th, 2015, 03:21 PM
I once had them refuse a sofa--I have to admit, the upholstery wasn't in pristine condition, so I understood. It led, though, to one of the funniest things I've ever heard. The driver said that it was too worn looking to accept but asked if I had thought to call the Council of the Blind organization. I nearly burst a gut trying not to laugh. It's not good enough for the Salvation Army, but maybe the blind people will want it since they can't see it? I've often wondered how many other people he asked about that.

Sandy Navas
October 7th, 2015, 03:21 PM
Heck, I would have taken it because it is wood. So much of the furniture today is pressed board and just doesn't hold up. I know that Goodwill here won't take TV's that aren't flat panel anymore. We have one that works perfectly, with a remote, and no one wants it. I may stick it out front with a "free to good home" sign on it and see if the neighbors want it. Last time I did that with en entertainment center it was gone in less than 15 minutes.

Just got rid of some TVs and computers (yes, way back to the Apple 2E . . . ) at Best Buy - Al took them down, they dismantle and send parts to a reliable recycling center . . . other big box stores may have a similar program.

Don't put a free sign on your TV though - Put first $20 takes it. Someone will definitely steal it then.

shirleyknot
October 7th, 2015, 03:24 PM
So let those "SPESHUL" people go spend the big bucks for what they consider "good enough". I'd love your dresser, and laugh all the way to the bank with the money saved. Remember the old saying "a fool and his money are soon parted" ? Seems a great many of the younger generations are fools.

Simply Quilting
October 7th, 2015, 03:26 PM
I'm with Karen. I would love to have it as it is solid wood.

As far as the style, there are so many cute things on pinterest if someone didn't want it to remain with stained wood - seems like almost everyone wants stuff painted these days.

Kgrammiecaz
October 7th, 2015, 03:36 PM
This has happened to me as well as some of my friends in the past with Salvation Army in Missouri. I think the issue with your dresser was more of a size/weight thing rather than it's condition. It is solid wood, pretty big and darn heavy looking. The drivers have to move it, the prospective buyers have to be able to move/transport it and floor space at the resell shop are all factors in terms of acceptance. It's just easier for the drivers to say it's the condition.

That is exactly what it was, the drivers did not want to pick it up. It is called lazy. Had you taken it directly to the warehouse yourself and dropped it foo, they would have no problem accepting it.

Hulamoon
October 7th, 2015, 03:46 PM
That's too bad. There is another charity that picks up. I used them in Calif when my auntie passed. St Vincent De Paul.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=st+vincent+de+paul+long+island

bhaggerty
October 7th, 2015, 03:51 PM
That's too bad. There is another charity that picks up. I used them in Calif when my auntie passed. St Vincent De Paul.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=st+vincent+de+paul+long+island

Yes, St. Vincent DePaul is a great organization!!!!

pj1963
October 7th, 2015, 04:08 PM
I agree too heavy and they did not want to deal with it. Every piece of furniture I own I purchased at habitat or goodwill. I
love fixing up wood furniture, and Pinterest has some great ideas on what can be done to transform it into a OOAK piece.
Too much stress having new stuff and having to cringe when people actually use it. I remember buying a new living room outfit
when my 3 kids were 5 and under. We ended up trading with the inlaws so the kids could be kids. Someone will pick that up and
be thankful that you put it out there!

Pandabear
October 7th, 2015, 04:31 PM
Just got rid of some TVs and computers (yes, way back to the Apple 2E . . . ) at Best Buy - Al took them down, they dismantle and send parts to a reliable recycling center . . . other big box stores may have a similar program.

Don't put a free sign on your TV though - Put first $20 takes it. Someone will definitely steal it then.

Should have sold that Apple 2E on ebay.

Cathy F
October 7th, 2015, 04:35 PM
Yes, St. Vincent DePaul is a great organization!!!!

I called them but the minimun is two pieces and they considered it one even though it was in two sections.

Cathy F
October 7th, 2015, 04:40 PM
That is exactly what it was, the drivers did not want to pick it up. It is called lazy. Had you taken it directly to the warehouse yourself and dropped it foo, they would have no problem accepting it.

I spoke to the warehouse and they seemed glad to get it when I scheduled. I even called them back after the drivers refused to take it and complained they still wouldn't take it.

As far as being too heavy my husband and I took it out of the house by ourselves on a dolly. Guess the driver and his buddy just didn't want to be bothered. I sent an e-mail to Salvation Army, they talk about the poverty here and the need for donations. I told them I had a piece someone would be glad to have and shame on them for not taking it. I also put it on my facebook page cause I was so annoyed. We'll see if I get a response from them.
Aveteran's organization is supposed to come next Thursday for it let's see what they say.

Chip
October 7th, 2015, 04:47 PM
Its not just furniture,,, take everyones faborite animal group,,,Starts with P ends with A,,,, they claim yo help find homes for pets, yet run on of the highest kill rates across the country,,,,,, seems to me, any home would be idea for animals or donated furniture/clothes... maybe it is just me,,,

shirleyknot
October 7th, 2015, 04:59 PM
Nor everyone's favorite group. Most of the animal people I know have their number by now.

Monique
October 7th, 2015, 05:41 PM
That is just plain wrong!!!!

dwil23
October 7th, 2015, 06:13 PM
You see it all the time on shows like House Hunters... Young couples just starting out want it ALL.... NOW... It's disgusting.... Everything has to be top of the line....and if it isn't....it gets replaced.... Stainless steel appliances, hardwood floors...the real thing... Granite/soapstone/Quartz countertops... I get so tired of hearing that the bathrooms are "small"... ... It's rediculous... Kitchens, of course must be BIG...

My son and his wife just sold their older home... They ran into the same problems... It was a challenge...

BINGO! I have gotten to where I absolutely loathe HGTV! Besides the fact that I know it is all fake, anyway (DIL coworker was featured on a House Hunters Show), the whining about the "horrible " light fixtures, flooring, wallpaper, non stainless appliances, non granite countertops, ad nauseum makes me nauseous! A spoiled rotten, ungrateful generation that wants it all and they want it yesterday. Not to mention these shows are marketing tools designed to make you unhappy with all the "horrible" things about your own home. Hey, why don't we just run on down to Home Depot/Lowe's and spend more than we can afford to "upgrade" this outdated house. Then we can put it on the market and buy a bigger house that we can't afford, either! Off my soapbox..

dwil23
October 7th, 2015, 06:16 PM
Its not just furniture,,, take everyones faborite animal group,,,Starts with P ends with A,,,, they claim yo help find homes for pets, yet run on of the highest kill rates across the country,,,,,, seems to me, any home would be idea for animals or donated furniture/clothes... maybe it is just me,,,

Let's just say that that group, along with one that starts with H and ends with US is just as bad. All about the fundraising and big salaries, nothing much for the animals. Local rescues are much better choices for donating to.

Sandy Navas
October 7th, 2015, 07:10 PM
Should have sold that Apple 2E on ebay.

Al wanted to contact the Smithsonian . . .

It was a clone from Hong-Kong - era 1982.

laura44
October 7th, 2015, 08:00 PM
I just moved and I did two things, donated to Habitat Restore, they take pretty much everything,
and anything I had in "not perfect" condition I put on my curb with a free sign.
Everything was taken. Nothing wrong with giving it away free, glad someone wants/needs it.

Loonwatcher
October 7th, 2015, 08:06 PM
I think he just didn't want to load and unload it.

tamsterg7
October 7th, 2015, 08:22 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head. I feel blessed that my kids don't have that trait. They both work hard, save money and do not expect Mom and Dad to provide foe every want and whim.

Cathy, I sometimes wonder if we haven't raised an entitled generation that wants to start off with what it took mom and dad 25 years to accumulate. We have made it so easy for them, they feel they are due the best!

shirleyknot
October 7th, 2015, 09:19 PM
Let's just say that that group, along with one that starts with H and ends with US is just as bad. All about the fundraising and big salaries, nothing much for the animals. Local rescues are much better choices for donating to.

Yep. Them too. Spend all their donations on big salaries and lobbying.

SewnByBee
October 7th, 2015, 09:20 PM
Last week I called the Salvation Army to make a furniture donation, they were due to come today to pick it up I waited in all morning for them. You can imagine my disappointment when I was told by the drivers it was not in good enough condition to be accepted ( the dresser drawers are not missing just in the house). It is 30 years old and has a few scratches nothing that Old English wouldn't cover. Nope it was denied. Shaking my head, I just don't understand it. With the need out there you would think someone could use this.

Habitat for Humanity would appreciate the donation, and they pick up from you too.

So sorry, they misput you, that was so wrong, all the way around.

Sometimes, it's better to just sit it by the road and let someone pick it up that way.

Cathy F
October 7th, 2015, 09:42 PM
Normally I would put things by thecurb and people will take them but with the mirror I was afraid kids would break it and then it would
Just sit there.
Veteran's pick up is scheduled for next Thursday.

alliek
October 7th, 2015, 10:17 PM
I agree with SewnbyBee Habitat for Humanity will take furniture as will the Veterans. Salvation Army is particularly picky when it comes to furniture. Don't know why but you are not alone in your experience.

TMP
October 7th, 2015, 11:11 PM
I can understand charities having some rules like for a old mattress ( bed bugs), but a wooden item ? Makes no sense
I have found that in our area the DAV will take almost anything that you want to give them (appliances ect.) and say THANK YOU.

LizTheScot
October 8th, 2015, 12:04 AM
Like others here, I've found that Goodwill and Habitat are usually willing recipients of many household items. In the past I have also donated to an organization that supports local woman's/family shelters. They will either sell items to the public to raise money or give items to people when they leave the shelter, to help get them started in their new life.

stationarymom
October 8th, 2015, 02:50 AM
They started becoming very particular about what they accept,when they started phasing out their rehab programs.They used to teach people how to refinish so when they would leave rehab they had a trade to fall back on but they don't do all that any more.

Cool Breeze Quilter
October 9th, 2015, 04:24 PM
What a beautiful piece of furniture and REAL wood. It makes no sense that they didn't take it. I don't think the driver knew what he was talking about. Maybe another non-profit organization would appreciate and understand the value of it?

yellowstone
October 9th, 2015, 07:41 PM
It is absolutely gorgeous! Someone would LOVE to have it, hope it ends up with the right family that will cherish it