PDA

View Full Version : Allergies

Deegles
October 4th, 2015, 10:27 AM
I am not one to suffer much from allergies. But, the last couple of years in the fall I have sneeze attacks in the morning starting at about 5:30ish and not leaving till about 9:00 am. Then it starts back up in the evening around 6 pm till dark. I have looked on the internet each time I have gotten the sneezes and the runny nose, and this seems to occur because of ELM trees. Does any plant guru on here know if this is when the pollinate, only early in the morning and in the afternoon? I am so glad it leaves quickly, I don't know how some of you manage, it can be quite debilitating. What allergy do you suffer from and what is your remedy for making it easier or better?

EnumclawGramma
October 4th, 2015, 12:02 PM
I NEVER had allergies until I quit smoking. Lucky me. Mine is dust, dust mites (yucko!!) and nearly every grass grown and harvested in my little town. I don't like taking meds, and I'm sensitive to steroid based sprays. So here's what I do: Neti pot every single night before bed and I use NasalCrom right after. That's it. And I haven't had problems (much) or been sick in two years.

Sonic
October 4th, 2015, 12:10 PM
I can't answer your Elm question, but I also didn't have allergies until recently.
I've lived in high allergy allergy areas before, but for some reason didn't struggle until recently. To the point that if I don't take an over the counter medicine, like Claratin, I get horribly debilitating sinus infections that take me down and make me severely sick for weeks.

I'll still get the sniffles and some allergy related stuff, but with Claratin it's greatly reduced and I can function normally most of the time during allergy season.

Lightwriter
October 4th, 2015, 12:39 PM
Fall allergies around here are usually ragweed and fall blooming weeds as well as mold. My allergies are oak in spring and ragweed in fall along with the neverending dust and mold sort of thing. DH never developed allergies until about 5 years ago. Don't know about elm since we have few of those here. Salt lavages ( neti pot sort of thing) help a lot. I had allergy shots on and off for years with no real change. Over the counter allergy med of Alavert and Nasalcrom help some. Good luck with it; once it starts it doesn't just magically go away.

Claire OneStitchAtATime
October 4th, 2015, 12:51 PM
I found allergy shots very effective. If your insurance covers it, you might want to consider it. I was totally dependent on antihistamines & nasal sprays & the allergies were bad for my asthma, but now I'm mostly fine.

shirleyknot
October 4th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Try having allergies AND COPD! And humidity levels have a lot to do with pollen count, so it CAN vary from time of day.

SewnByBee
October 4th, 2015, 02:00 PM
My poor son,
He is allergenic to grass, trees, and weeds, the cat too.
We had him retested just a few weeks ago, there startling him on the shots.
It will take a year or more to build him up to the dose he needs.
Honey, from your local area, two tble. Daily.
Allegra, flownaise and leave the pollen outside, cover nose and mouth, to help block inhalation.
Combating this is a hard thing to do.

A nettipot can help clearout sinuous.

Good luck, best wishes.

TMP
October 4th, 2015, 02:07 PM
I have been sneezing since I got up this morning. Since we moved to Alabama over 30 years ago its every fall and I have no idea what it is. I have always blamed it on pine trees. I don't know if we have elm trees here. I was just thinking maybe the dust in my sewing room is making it worse. Who knows... Have you ever sneezed so many times in a row you got kind of dizzy ? I have tried several over the counter and doctor prescribed things and nothing works .

Sylvia H
October 4th, 2015, 02:23 PM

... and I can function normally most of the time during allergy season.

See, there are times when she can function normally. (running, ducking, hiding ...:icon_razz:)

I am allergic to mold and mildew. Fortunately, that is relatively easy to control. But if I have the misfortune to come into contact with these things, I start sneezing and eye watering within a minute, and if I can't get away soon enough, I end up with a sinus infection and a dilly of a headache.

Sonic
October 4th, 2015, 02:43 PM
See, there are times when she can function normally. (running, ducking, hiding ...:icon_razz:)

Shhh......
I work hard to maintain my witness protection program identity.

Lori63
October 5th, 2015, 12:14 AM
I'm lucky I don't have allergies, but my poor son is allergic to almost everything...he's 25 and refuses to take anything for it!

Cool Breeze Quilter
October 5th, 2015, 10:08 AM
When we lived in SE FL my allergies were more of a bother. Some years not so bad and other years very bad. We moved further north (in FL still) and I'm not bothered by allergies anywhere close to what it used to be in southern FL.

easyquilts
October 5th, 2015, 11:37 AM
I can't answer your question, but I did want to say that I dump haste with you.

I live in the ?Ohio Valley, where allergies are a way of life.... Not fun... Hope you feel better...soon...