PDA

View Full Version : Rain Bummer!!

Patsquilting
October 2nd, 2015, 06:52 AM
Good Morning, all -- I am so bummed out. Was supposed to leave 1st thing tomorrow morning to travel to NC. (Retiring end of year and looking for place to move to with lower taxes, etc) Unfortunately, with all the rain due up and down coast, etc will be staying home and cancelling vacation. OH, WELL, just as long as everyone is safe is what matters. On the brighter side, this will give me time home to do a little more quilting -- YEAH. Be safe all, especially in all those flood zone areas.

shirleyknot
October 2nd, 2015, 09:18 AM
You want lower taxes, try Arkansas. I have 26 acres with a 17 stall horse barn, taxes about $100 a year. GREAT area to retire, with really mild winters.

quiltsRfun
October 2nd, 2015, 10:53 AM
Wish you could send some of that rain out west. California could really use it. In any case, enjoy your quilting time.

irishrn
October 2nd, 2015, 01:05 PM
We did the north to south move 20 years ago and never regretted it!! We are in NC so feel free to PM me and I will help in areas around Raleigh, Cary,Apex, Holly Springs if that is your desired location. I'm in Harnett County near Lillingtom..... Out in the country!

You're wise to hold off on your trip. It hasn't stopped raining here in over a week! Flooding is the biggest concern!

alliek
October 2nd, 2015, 03:12 PM
Yes, I'm in southern Virginia, not far from the NC border (11 miles), the rain that we needed now is becoming overwhelming, The Dan River may overflow its' banks this weekend and low lying roads may flood. We had to travel to Durham this past week and noticed large fields of tobacco still to be pulled and soybeans. This weather is tough on farmers especially those with crops to be harvested and fields to planted with winter crops. Praying for them and all to be safe.

kensington
October 2nd, 2015, 07:02 PM
North Carolina is lovely. Most of my family goes there to vacation each year. My older sister lived there until her death, she moved there from here to be closer to her kids. We visited and it was just lovely.

We were stationed in Virginia three times and it's a nice drive to NC. Are you planning to relocate near the coast or more inland?

kensington
October 2nd, 2015, 07:04 PM
Yes, I'm in southern Virginia, not far from the NC border (11 miles), the rain that we needed now is becoming overwhelming, The Dan River may overflow its' banks this weekend and low lying roads may flood. We had to travel to Durham this past week and noticed large fields of tobacco still to be pulled and soybeans. This weather is tough on farmers especially those with crops to be harvested and fields to planted with winter crops. Praying for them and all to be safe.

I noticed corn is being harvested a bit early... probably due to all of the rain coming.

KPH
October 2nd, 2015, 07:20 PM
We're in soutern NC... close to Charlotte. Well we we'll be back home from IN the middle of next week anyway.

Patsquilting
October 2nd, 2015, 08:10 PM
Hi: looking more inland - areas between I-95 and I-85. Trying to stay within reasonable drives so can visit kids and grandkids in NJ and CT. Should be interesting - and exciting. Hopefully everyone in the heavy rain areas will be OK