PDA

View Full Version : It's Friday, it's Friday.

Monique
October 2nd, 2015, 06:16 AM
Good morning friends. Blondie's computer is on the bum. Today is YOUR day. You get to pick what you want today to be. Here is today's holiday list. I did not make this up. Personally I like Guardian Angel day, Fried scallop day and Blondie would love the last one, WORLD SMILE DAY!!!

Today is Guardian Angel Day!
Today is International Day of Non-Violence (Gandhi's Birthday)!
Today is Lee National Denim Day!
Today is National Custodial Worker Day!
Today is National Diversity Day!
Today is National Fried Scallops Day!
Today is National Name Your Car Day!
Today is National Research Maniacs Food Day!
Today is Phileas Fogg's Wager Day!
Today is Plaidurday!
Today is World Day for Farmed Animals!
Today is World No Alcohol Day!
Today is World Smile Day!

I am all packed and ready to go to my retreat. I made pumpkin squares for dessert tonight and I also made a salsa dip to take. I am so looking forward this weekend. This weekend is our BIG 30th Octoberfest but I am glad to be leaving the crazies behind. There has to be at least 150 trailers in town. I won't be missing anything. Les is having a guy weekend too.

Have a great weekend friends. And SMILE, because Blondie says so.

I also wanted to add my thoughts and prayers are with those in Oregon. Such a tragedy.

Carol336
October 2nd, 2015, 06:47 AM
Good morning Monique and all who follow,

What to pick...what to pick.....such great choices. I think in view of the events in Oregon yesterday I'm going to go with
National Non Violence Day.

Another rainy day here as we all await Joaquin to arrive.

I have all my blocks made for my disappearing hourglass quilt....but they are badly in need of squaring up. And, since this is my first quilt I'm not sure how to proceed. But I'm in luck because one of my new neighbors is a very experienced quilter and I've been told she loves to help others learn the craft. I've only met her once or twice in the elevator, but I'm going to give her a call and hopefully see if she's willing to help me out.

Have a great day everyone.....stay dry!!!!

Ginny B
October 2nd, 2015, 08:14 AM
Good morning everyone. Well it looks like Hurricane Joaquin is trending towards turning out into the Atlantic instead of making the East Coast his bullseye. Let's hope he doesn't change his mind. In the meantime, we have this unrelated storm hitting us today with lots of rain. Would be a good day to stay home and sew but alas, I must go to work. However, I am off on Monday so :icon_woohoo: for a three-day weekend.

Bummer about Blondie's computer being on the bum. Hopefully it gets better soon. Monique, have a wonderful time at your retreat.
Carol, share pictures as you start putting the disappearing hourglass together . And Congratulations on your first quilt!

Have a good Friday everyone. Keep safe and dry.

Grandma Nan
October 2nd, 2015, 08:33 AM
Good morning all

Monique I hope you have a wonderful time at your Retreat. I know how much fun we had last week. A group of quilters, some laughing, some food and how can you fail? It is a much needed activity at least once a year.

I too express my sincere condolences to the families and friends in Oregon. What a senseless loss of young lives.

I hope all in the path of the hurricane take extreme care and stay safe, away from any unnecessary risk.

I am going to my Dad's house today to make more applesauce. I hope we are soon coming to the end of apples. I haven't got room for much more in my freezer. This weekend I will have 2 of my grandsons while parents go to a wedding. That will be fun. And tonight taking my oldest grandson out for his birthday treat. We started a little tradition of them going out with just me to buy one gift and have dinner. It is always a good time and memory maker activity.

Also have to find more storage for all the fat quarters I bought last weekend at the M*QC Birthday Bash. I did over do it a bit (as usual). Some will go to Monique and my sister though so I am not completely bad. I got them a few treats.

Hope that everyone has a wonderful weekend and please keep Smiling.

:icon_wave:

Jean Sewing Machine
October 2nd, 2015, 09:03 AM
Hi everyone! Yesterday was National Black Dog Dag! My daughter has a very special big black dog that got extra loving yesterday!

Must get to the sewing room sometime soon! I'm going to help a friend run a garage sale today and then host my grandkids overnight, so not much sewing in the cards for today!

Monique, have fun at your retreat! We sure had fun last week! Didn't get a lot finished, but I had a blast! Still trying to get caught up on sleep!

Have a great day!

aliaslaceygreen
October 2nd, 2015, 09:07 AM
Good WET Friday to you all.... I think we will be floating before Joaquin even tries to head this way, although I understand he's headed east... I work all weekend, it will be either VERY slow because of weather or VERY busy because of weather...gotta have stuff for your craft projects, after all!! Take care and hug someone today!!! (((hugs)) )))

songbird857
October 2nd, 2015, 09:20 AM
PLAIDURDAY!!!!
Most definitely :)
Good morning all...
Monique - have fun at your retreat!
Nan... mmmm... homemade applesauce - yumm.
More sewing today - I'm trying to get in some everyday, even if it's just a bit. I jump back and forth between my quilt and things for the craft fair, and birthday presents, etc. I made a promise to myself that I wasn't buying any birthday gifts for others, but rather, making things from my rather large stash. I started in June, and it's been going well :)
Yesterday I made some of those microwave potholder bowls (thanks for the link, Blondie!) They're really cute, and I love the fabric I'm using on them - Technicolor - Michael Miller... I bought the FQ box quite a while ago and love digging into it for small projects!
... ok, off to do stuff - have a great weekend everyone...

Lori63
October 2nd, 2015, 09:26 AM
Good morning all:) Looks like lots of things going on today. I agree, let's all celebrate Non-violence Day. After the events of yesterday in Oregon we need it.

I'm off work today and have a special little trip planned, it may have something to do with our own Sandy. I'll tell everyone about it later!

I only got to work on the baby quilt for just a bit last night. I have a little quilting left and then the binding. Hope to get it done tonight so I can wash it before wrapping and dropping off for the shower on Saturday. I'm cutting it close!

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

CrazyMtnLady
October 2nd, 2015, 09:37 AM
Good chilly morning to you all. I go with Wear a Plaid shirt with my Lee Jeans while Smiling and drinking coffee for (no alcohol day) and sending prayers that we all have a No Violence Day. I already named my car (well Nisson Pathfinder) Christine, after the Stephen King book and after it fell off the jack and hurt the hubbies arm.

Sitting here and thinking I should start fire in the wood stove to take the chill out of the house.. but it's always hard to start that first fire of the season, knowing summer is over and the cold is on the way.

Hope everyone has a great day.

JCY
October 2nd, 2015, 09:53 AM
Happy Friday! Sorry about Blondie's computer. If Joaquin is trending out to sea, that it good news, but I'm sure there will be plenty of rain anyway. We're supposed to get thunderstorms here today, maybe even some hail. I think Colo. is one area that gets some of the most hail in the country. So sad about the shooting in Oregon. Colo. has had the Columbine HS & Aurora Theater shootings. No place is immune. IMO, it's really not about gun control, but the individual's responsibility & maybe a mental health issue. People always will be able to get guns even if they were outlawed.

Yesterday I started working on a baby quilt from a pattern from the Fat Quarter Shop, "Star Cakes"; it's designed for layer cakes, but I cut my squares 9" so I could use up some FQs from my stash. Lots of HSTs! They are squaring at 4" each. I bought some plain white yardage at the LQS to cut my own squares. If I like the pattern, I may make a larger quilt later on.

I hope everyone has a good Friday & week-end ahead.

SewnByBee
October 2nd, 2015, 09:57 AM
Good Morning to All 💕.

I have to say Gardian Day seems quite fitting today.

To protect or to met a need you witness,
Is a Guardian Angel in action. I would like to
encourage us all to not pass by the opportunity
to make a difference.😇, You might just be doing
something to change the world.
Hope today is the beginning of a wonderful
Weekend for you all, praying for all that needs them
Huggs to all😏,

Sandy Navas
October 2nd, 2015, 10:14 AM
Voting for International Non-Violence Day for sure, but I certainly LOVE Donna's idea of Plaidurday in Denim jeans while drinking coffee and deciding on a name for the car. And maybe I'll stick in a Guardian Angel, too - just for luck.

Won't be doing much sewing - anticipating starting to pack up the sewing room of excess stuff.

QuiltingRN
October 2nd, 2015, 11:36 AM
Good Morning all! Lee National Denim Day, got mine on! Off to work, Monique have a great retreat! Mine is in two weeks!
Hugs to everyone and hope you all have a fun, quilty weekend!

ceiliam
October 2nd, 2015, 12:50 PM
Morning all. Hope to work on cleaning sewing room , have scraps under a table however between Maxie the cat and myself are a mess. Have a bedroom next to sewing room that has not mu h in it, so since its just me going to expand sewing room hopefully, I can get better organized. Sandy wish was closer to help you pack such an awful job. Have you found a new place? Monique have a fantastic retreat, so jealous of you all. Best get moving and get something done even. If it's wrong. Have a great weekend all. Cecelia

dwil23
October 2nd, 2015, 01:45 PM
Good morning, all!

(of course it's not really morning, here!)

Four days off to finish two quilts and didn't even get close. UGH. Just not a good week. It started with our very sick little Beagle, and a whole day to get her to the vet. On the way she started have violent seizure like tremors and I thought I was loosing her. When they ran her blood sugar is was low - so low that the vet doubted the accuracy and ran it again. Even lower - 21. They stared her on IV glucose but she didn't respond much. Also diagnosed her with Addison's disease and started the treatment (prednisone). My sister went to see her yesterday afternoon and she was not responsive, so I know a lot of my non productivity has been due to depression/worry about her. A better report this morning - the vet said she was sitting up and wagging her tail a bit. I know she has a long way to go, and at her age, we won't have her for years, but we don't want to let her go, either. DD and I are going to visit her this afternoon and the vet said she may be ready to go home. I will bring her here since my sister is leaving on a trip tomorrow morning and there is almost always someone here at my house.

Continuing prayers for those in need - especially in Oregon. And prayers of thankfulness that Joaquin seems to be headed away from the coast!

Hope everyone has a Blessed Day and weekend.