PDA

View Full Version : Update on SIL & the Deep Brain Stimulator

JCY
October 1st, 2015, 10:00 PM
A few months ago I posted about my SIL Barb being accepted at Vanderbilt for the Deep Brain Stimulator surgery to help control her central tremors. There have been many trips back & forth to Nashville (3 hr. drive 1 way) over the past weeks. It's been a long process. She's had 2 brain surgeries to insert the wires on the R & L sides & a surgical procedure to insert the control device in her chest. Today she saw the neurologist to turn on & adjust the device. My niece said it's just remarkable. She doesn't shake any more! Barb was able to sign the consent form for her brain CT with a steady hand today. She's still having some speech problems which they hope will clear in time. Today's technology truly is amazing. She'll need to go back in 2 mos. & 6 mos. for follow-up evaluations. For those who might be interested, there are videos on YT that demo. the remarkable changes with/without the device turned on.

Simply Quilting
October 1st, 2015, 10:22 PM
I am glad that the surgery and adjustments were successful.

dwil23
October 1st, 2015, 10:30 PM
Wonderful news - an answer to prayers!

Sandy Navas
October 1st, 2015, 10:38 PM
Brought tears to my eyes. The power of prayer!! (not to exclude a steady hand on a knowledgeable surgeon).

MRoy
October 1st, 2015, 10:40 PM
That is so wonderful! I so glad the surgery helped her, it really helped my friend a few years ago.

mommamarsh
October 1st, 2015, 11:32 PM
Wonderful,wonderful !

bubba
October 1st, 2015, 11:42 PM
That is just amazing!! My friend who had that done a year ago has had great results too. We don't see him often as he lives in Idaho, but he was here for our reunion and you would never know there was anything wrong with him. He walked fine, had no shakes and his speech was not impaired at all. That surgery is a miracle for people who suffer from Parkinsons, which is what our friend has.

kensington
October 2nd, 2015, 12:05 AM
That's wonderful for her! My Fil has been seeing Dr's for that procedure. He has Parkinsons and his Dr wants him to get it. We have been looking at the information and the videos of the procedure.

jjkaiser
October 2nd, 2015, 12:53 AM
I am so happy for you and your family. What a great outcome. She must truly feel like she is getting a new lease on life! I am sure you are all overcome with telief. Thanks for the update.

Hulamoon
October 2nd, 2015, 01:09 AM
Very good news!

stationarymom
October 2nd, 2015, 02:37 AM
How wonderful! I hope someday they will be able to use the tech for seizures.

Lightwriter
October 2nd, 2015, 06:04 AM
Pray all continues to progress well. Praise that progress has been made.

Monique
October 2nd, 2015, 06:19 AM
The advances in medicine are astounding. I sure wish they could find a cure for cancer. I happy for you and your family. May she continue to improve.

Bubby
October 2nd, 2015, 07:54 AM
I'm so thrilled to hear the good news!

Sylvia H
October 2nd, 2015, 08:17 AM
That is wonderful news. What a relief for your sister and all who love her.

Ginny B
October 2nd, 2015, 08:21 AM
That's wonderful news! A friend of ours with Parkinson's had this procedure done recently and the results are incredible.

irishrn
October 2nd, 2015, 07:41 PM
So happy with your news!! It is amazing what can be done today for NEURO syndromes!
Wishing her the best on her journey!