PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday that feels like Friday

Blondie
September 30th, 2015, 08:31 AM

Hello Folksies

I went back to bed after Luscious left for work. I am still tired. Sigh. Sometimes there are just too many things to accomplish in a day. And I am sick of the rain. Oh yes, I know we really have needed it. Oh yes, it has been horrible. local flooding and roads washed out in the county. We have been told that the worst is yet to come with the newest Tropical Depression coming towards us.

So today is another day to get stuff done. I was able to work a bit on a paper pieced Christmas tree wall hanging that DD really wants. She saw it on Pinterest and wheedled. Since I enjoy paper piecing it wasn't too hard to convince me, especially since I already had the pattern somewhere. Oh, the fun I can have trying to remember where I put things. Shouldn't be too difficult to find a pattern, right? You don't know (*1) my brain and it's inability to organize in an orderly fashion and (2) some things are still downstairs and some things are upstairs. Big sigh here. Now down in the basement I have a file cabinet and a few old large metal bread tins that have patterns in them. No, they are not organised at all. There is no phone in the basement. So, when I hear the phone ring, my compulsion to run up the stairs to answer it goes bonkers. Anyhoo, I managed to get part of it done. Here is the image of what it is supposed to look like when done.

The pattern actually calls for a tree skirt which I personally like better. The pattern is from: A Very Special Collection - Tissue Paper Foundation Patterns (http://www.averyspecialcollection.com/) Cindy does some nice designs.

Have wonderful day. I am putting my flippers on and water wings. Smile'

Bubby
September 30th, 2015, 08:54 AM
Morning. Cute Christmas tree, Blondie! I made a similar one about 20 years ago that I finished up last winter.

It feels like Friday to me, too. I checked for a new tutorial. Jeff has to work a double shift today, Friday and Sunday, so I should get a bit of sewing done. I almost have another quilt ready to take to Reggie. All that remains is two sides of the border and then finding backing. This one is for a very special tenant who helps us out a lot with the yard in the summer and she's become a very good friend to me.

I'm off to Houston to food shop before I get busy. Wishing everyone a blessed day.

songbird857
September 30th, 2015, 09:08 AM
Good Morning :)
Blondie, I like that tree - and just think of the appreciation your daughter will have ;)
Raining buckets here - flood watch for the next 24 hours. Watching Joaquim to see what he will do over the weekend...
Well, I got Alice - my new to me Singer 66 - singing a beautiful melody! She runs smoothly, and is beautiful at 67 years old! Best $15 investment I've made in a long time ;)
I'm going to hopefully split the day with half cleaning/laundry, half sewing. Rainy days are good days to sew!
Have a great day all...

EnumclawGramma
September 30th, 2015, 09:14 AM
Good Morning! Blondie, I love that tree, please share a pic of yours when finished? Paper piecing scares me! Someday.
Ray got up for work and got all showered and shaved and decided today was a good day to take off. So, back to bed he came, and up I went because I didn't want to keep him awake with all my rolling around trying to fall back to sleep. Hoping a little time online will either wake me up, or make me dozy......
Worked a little more on a COC yesterday, nearly finished. I would like to make one more and get them sent off to Blondie. My friend who does my quilting is going thru chemo and radiation, so I won't be taking any quilts to her for awhile. Prayers for her would be welcome and appreciated. She is my quilting mentor, and very dear friend.
I've been a little under the weather myself the last few days so begged off with the Grands today. Can't tell if I've caught a bug or I just need some down time. Ever feel that way?

Anywho....Have a great day. Hugs and Prayers all 'round!

dwil23
September 30th, 2015, 09:15 AM
Good Morning!

Love the tree, Blondie - show us yours when you get it done! I sure do know what you mean about not being able to find things. I spent hours, yes hours (off and on) looking for the 3 cans of spray starch I know that I bought at Walmart last week. I finally gave up and resigned myself to a trip to Wallyworld today to get more. DD found (in the same place I had look umpteen times). I've now got Sawyer's quilt starched and ready to sandwich, but sister called and our beagle (everyone claims her) need to go to the vet. Her time is short, I'm afraid. She was a rescue (from the mountains of North Georgia) five years ago, so we don't know how old she actually is, but she has the sweetest, most humble and grateful heart of any dog you have ever met. She just called to say she got an appt for 930 - gotta fly...

Have a Blessed day everyone....

Lori63
September 30th, 2015, 09:18 AM
Good morning:) I wish it was Friday because I have Friday off!

Last night I got the top finished, sandwiched and started quilting a baby quilt I'm making for my daughter's friend. I'm still new to the actual quilting part and figured out last night that I really need an extension table. My machine just sits on a table and that doesn't work very well. Hubby rigged up a box that was the right height, but it's big and kind of in the way. I haven't searched the forum yet, but does anyone know of a pattern to make one? I looked online and found one for $89, don't really want to spend that much.

Have a wonderful day!

Sandy Navas
September 30th, 2015, 09:19 AM
Rain? You have Rain? The little town near where I was raised has had the river over the road 26 times this year from flooding. But I would love some rain here right now. It 'spit' here yesterday morning but the ground is so dry and plants in pots are showing their age. Someone other than us must be in charge of moisture control.

Back to M* today - Al wants to see Jenny's Trunk Show. I'll probably just hang. Then we'll head to Creston to pick up my embroidery machine. There goes the day. I am making some progress shelling out things, but it hardly seems like a dent so far. Frustration trying to find a place to hang our new hats - advertising is so deceiving.

Have a wonderful day and keep the smiles rolling across the land.

Cathy F
September 30th, 2015, 09:27 AM
Morning all,
Sounded like the monsoons came in last night! Not complaining though as we surely needed all this rain. I'm in akind of lazy mood today enjoying my first cup of coffee. I plan on taking it easier today with no up and down holding crown molding while DH was nailing it up oy! Took it's tole on this ole lady but looks so nice.
Hoping maybe I might be able to get some sewing in today, yea! Christmas will be fast approaching and my gifts need to get done.
Well, off to get this day started, hugs to all who need a few extra to get going today.

MRoy
September 30th, 2015, 09:28 AM
Good morning! It's another rainy day here too...a good day for napping. I'm doing laundry now, then heading for the studio to do some sewing. I've got to get it in gear and finish some things.

Monique
September 30th, 2015, 09:42 AM
Good morning. A very late start for me this morning. I took a pill last night, no not a sleeping pill, but a pill that shuts my mind down for the night. It works like a charm.

What did I do yesterday you ask? I tried to make apple jelly but I think I cooked the apples too long. Not enough juice. So I am going to buy more apples today to add to the mix. I am still debating what I am going to take with me for the retreat. Decisions, decisions. I need to get to town today to get more drugs and get a few groceries.

Have a wonderful day friends.

quiltingtrish
September 30th, 2015, 09:51 AM
Raining here in Central PA too - yes, we need it but from now until maybe Tuesday? That might be a bit much.
DD Katie is driving back to N. Carolina today - rain all the way - could use a few extra travel prayers for her. The few days she was home we did enjoy. Came Monday, leaving today. I took off work today to spend the few extra hours with her this morning.

STILL working on the nursing home placemats. I don't know how people crank out small projects and they are done! I want to just sew them together and turn them right side out instead of doing binding but then when I quilt them they will be all weird. If I do the regular binding, I have to tack it down by hand because when I do it by machine - it's just not right. Maybe I'll try one by machine again - who knows - maybe today will be a magical day and it will all work out. I have 16 to do.

Have a great day everyone ~

ceiliam
September 30th, 2015, 10:04 AM
Morning all rain would be nice here however a Nice slow gentle rain. Waiting for repair man, will comming between 8. And 12. Doent you love how they are so specfic? Hope its more toward 8. Would love to get something done. Then need to take cat to get. He has eye infection poor little guy.
Hope all have greAt day

irishrn
September 30th, 2015, 10:06 AM
Morning all!! Today is first of two appts for DH this week. I've learned not to make morning appointments for him as he finds every excuse to delay being ready on time. Arrival time for both this week are 245pm. He will complain either way!

Thinking I need to start on the Arc! Rain hasn't stopped since last Thursday morning and more to come!

DH found out he will be a great grandpa again in April. DGD in the NY was completely surprised with that news! Her youngest is 8 and oldest is 16!!
Need to finish up second baby quilt this week! Finally getting some sewing mojo going!! The babies are already 4 months old!!!

So hope all have a good day! Wishing you rain if you need it!!! Please, take some of ours!

Iris Girl
September 30th, 2015, 10:22 AM
Morning all , back from Dr appt. Rain rain and more rain here. Weatherman says it will be a category 1 hurricane when it hits land. Hope we don't get hit too hard.
Hoping to do some sewing today.
Hugs to all in need.

ilive2craft2
September 30th, 2015, 10:23 AM
Good Morning all! Beautiful fall day here - in the 40's currently, but supposed to hit 70. My momma loved this type of fall day - a little crisp in the air. Memories are good - we are laying her to rest this morning. Visitation was last night, so we saw most of the extended family and friends and shared memories and laughs about mom. She was a pretty special lady and will be missed by many.

The thought of clearing out her apartment is kind of scary, but I want to get some of her tops, so that when I am ready, I can make a quilt. I still have parts of Dad's shirts from when I made memory pillows, so maybe I can put them together somehow. It will probably be awhile, Dad had been gone 2 or 3 years before I could cut into his shirts.

Those of you who have lost their parents know exactly the roller coaster I am currently on. Those of you how have a parent or both parents still with you, make some more special memories with them - you will be glad you did. With love from Kathy's daughter Lisa

SewnByBee
September 30th, 2015, 10:26 AM
​Good Morning Blondie, and All.

Oh, what a Sweet tree. Blondie.🌲
I' ll have to take a look at that link, I enjoy the little
Paper piecied projects too.

I am working on a Jan Pedet aplaque , its been fun learning
and following along with the tutorial, I'm so glad she did the tutorials to go along with her patterns, being that I wanted to learn finding her was like finding Jenny for quilting. Just a blessing, truly.

I am so happy that the girl came yesterday. The house has been sanitized, OH So MUCH better just to know things are done.
I hada REalty Check,
She needs to pick up a job that would have leeway to
not complet her Mom job, so the story goes.
We Need Each Other. 😏
Maybe this will workout fine.
I think the starting of it all just made me very nervous.
I find it hard, only because this was My job,
but I will be able to have the time (IF, I can stay feeling good) to get projects done before the holliday roll around. I have to look at this from a possitive outlook, I realize not beeing able to do myself,
quite frankly, STINKS.😛

Hope you all have a WONDERFUL Day!
I gotta share tis I think it's so funny.
enjoy a giggle on me.😜
Charges : icons to appear

RockinLou
September 30th, 2015, 12:33 PM
Blondie! I made that tree skirt, from start to finish it was over six years in the making, but I finished it this summer, hauled it all the way to Kazakhstan, and guess where we are going to be for Christmas?? .... in our house in Atlanta! LOL! It will go with us ;-)

I do have to say that it was a very, very easy paper piecing pattern to work with and the directions for pre-cutting fabric were great. It only too me so long because we had two babies, three tri-continental moves, and I was a work-from-home- single mom with no daycare for two of those years.

I'll never forget though when I had my patterns out for some reason, asked my husband to keep an eye on things while I fixed a snack and came back to find our puppy eating the paper foundations!! I burst into tears, but DH called Cindy from the number on the pattern, and she was able to help us make it right again... he was pretty desperate to solve that problem!

My daughter is having a friend over on Friday after school for a playdate, I'm thinking we will make those pineapple upside down cupcakes I've been daydreaming of all week and maybe do a craft... I bought a few kits recently at the store that we can all have fun with, I hope!

Dollyquilts
September 30th, 2015, 12:54 PM
I got a call from my daughter this morning to pick my 17 YO DGD up from school and take her home. She was cramping and shaking. We had just gotten a diagnosis yesterday that she has a dermoid cyst on her ovary the size of a golf ball and it needed to be removed. If it flops over (medical terminology here), it could cut off the blood supply to her ovary and she would lose her ovary. I met her dad at the house, and he is taking her to the ER in Tomball. Her homecoming is this weekend and she bought a $300 dress that can't be returned. But who cares about that. She is very frightened, and I can't blame her there.

Please pray for my Emily to have a successful surgery and get to keep her ovary. My mind is in a whirl and I'm having difficult concentrating.

SuzyQue
September 30th, 2015, 01:37 PM
Prayers for Emily!
No rain here, but that is currently a good thing. My hubby is trying to finish up his corn harvest and rain would just delay everything. Actually, he is so tired from such long days and nights, that a little shower and some time off might be a good respite!
I finally finished all the yard work, except the daily nut pick ups, and it is looking great! Got the house cleaned up and laundry caught up and ironing is mostly done. Looks like if I make up the grocery/shopping list and get that accomplished, I might have several days to sew/quilt before everything needs to be done....again!

Dollyquilts
September 30th, 2015, 03:49 PM
Good news! It wasn't a dermoid cyst on Em's ovary. It ruptured, it should reabsorb into her body and she's headed home. No surgery required. Happy grammie here.

Patsquilting
September 30th, 2015, 07:13 PM
Good Evening: Love the tree. We also have been in a drought and got almost 3" of rain today. Not fun driving to work when you can barely see out of your windshield.

My husband and I are supposed to be traveling to NC this weekend - looking into the possibility of retiring there -- but with the newest storm -- it might be delayed. Good Luck from Connecticut.

dwil23
September 30th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Good news! It wasn't a dermoid cyst on Em's ovary. It ruptured, it should reabsorb into her body and she's headed home. No surgery required. Happy grammie here.

That's wonderful news!

Sandy Navas
September 30th, 2015, 07:53 PM

Prayers answered! Pretty scary for a young lady her age.

quiltingtrish
September 30th, 2015, 09:36 PM
I was just going to say - Dolly - that I would put your daughter in my prayers and then I read your 2nd post. I'm glad to hear that she will be ok.

Katie made it back to NC around 6 tonight. It's going to be awful quiet around here. She took the dog with her. No, she was not OUR dog. She was Katie's friend's dog who lived with us for 2 years. Then Katie went into the Marines and we had to kick her friend out (she did things to us that we had to make that decision) but the dog stayed here because the friend could not take care of her. So, we've had the dog for about 4 years. She was GLUED to DH - GLUED. He took her everywhere with him. And now she is gone. It's not fair to the dog. Aarrgh! Not happy. I'm glad I took the day off, my mood would not have been good at school today.

I did get some sewing done on the placemats. Slowly, but I keep on going.

Have a great evening everyone.

Sandy Navas
September 30th, 2015, 10:23 PM
I was just going to say - Dolly - that I would put your daughter in my prayers and then I read your 2nd post. I'm glad to hear that she will be ok.

Katie made it back to NC around 6 tonight. It's going to be awful quiet around here. She took the dog with her. No, she was not OUR dog. She was Katie's friend's dog who lived with us for 2 years. Then Katie went into the Marines and we had to kick her friend out (she did things to us that we had to make that decision) but the dog stayed here because the friend could not take care of her. So, we've had the dog for about 4 years. She was GLUED to DH - GLUED. He took her everywhere with him. And now she is gone. It's not fair to the dog. Aarrgh! Not happy. I'm glad I took the day off, my mood would not have been good at school today.

I did get some sewing done on the placemats. Slowly, but I keep on going.

Have a great evening everyone.

. . . and Katie is going to have a dog while serving? How is that going to work out????

Sorry - know that it wouldn't be fair to the animal given my experience in the WAC.

Ginny B
September 30th, 2015, 11:04 PM
Good evening everyone. Blondie, I love that tree pattern. One day I will try some paper piecing. I am thinking maybe this pattern would be a good one for me to start with.

We had quite a bit of rain last night and more coming over the next bunch of days. Maybe part of a hurricane/maybe not. The storm could affect quite a large area of the east coast so if Joaquin is headed your way friends, be safe.

So glad to hear that your granddaughter didn't need surgery Dollyquilts. What great news!

Spent a bunch of time in my sewing room this morning before work and this evening after dinner.I had some projects that I wanted to finish today because we are babysitting tomorrow evening after work with our little Henry. I wanted to have a gift ready to bring with us tomorrow evening to leave with my step-daughter for one of her cousins who is about ready to give birth to a little boy. I finished the two receiving blankets and 4 burp cloths and also finished a tablerunner for a friend we will be seeing on Sunday. I did make a big mistake while working on the tablerunner last night and did more ripping than sewing. But they are all done now and I'm happy with them so I will sleep well tonight.

So sleep well everyone. See you tomorrow.

quiltingtrish
October 1st, 2015, 08:37 AM
Sandy, she is out of the Marines (for reasons I won't go in to here) and living with a friend. Hope that works out for her.