PDA

View Full Version : ncw class question......

bubba
September 22nd, 2015, 10:06 PM
Today, a shop manager saw my matching purse and NCW and wants me to teach a class for the NCW. I told her the shop I have taught at in the past pays me 80% of the class fee, and she said that is what they do there as well. She asked me what the price for the class would be, and I have no clue.

What do you think is a fair price for a class on those? What would you pay? How much time would you allow? It takes me about two hours start to finish.....in a class sitting should it be four?

Simply Quilting
September 22nd, 2015, 11:33 PM
This might give you a little direction. It was in Canada. The cost was $50 and they brought their own items - pattern, fabric, etc. Class was from 9AM to 5PM with a lunch break where they either brought their lunch or could go across the street to get something. Learn the Necessary Clutch Wallet Live! (http://www.thelittlebirddesigns.com/handmade/learn-the-necessary-clutch-wallet-live/)

Sharyn J
September 23rd, 2015, 12:04 AM
Don't cut yourself short. You've made quite a few of these clutches and can get them put together fast, however, most first timers will need a lot more time. So much time is spent cutting and attaching interfacing before you can even start sewing! My first one took me days! (lots of breaks allotted :icon_heh:) It sounds doable in 4 hours with additional time for break or lunch.

Haven't taken any classes other than a couple online for bag making so don't know how much you should charge.

Sylvia H
September 23rd, 2015, 12:31 AM
Something else you might want to consider is the skill level of the participants. My sister and I took a class for the Professional Tote. Neither of us had been sewing for years - for me, it was 35 years! The instructor was muttering several times about having to tell the shop owner that this class should be listed as for intermediate or above sewers. (Yes, this was inconsiderate, but I was wearing my big girl panties and didn't let it bother me.)

While you may be just fine with novice sewers, it will take them even more time to complete the project, so that should be factored into the length of the class.

bubba
September 23rd, 2015, 12:39 AM
Truthfully, the only two parts that are difficult are the twist locks and the side flap seams. That said, I could say we would do only the magnetic snaps. :Note to self...when making the class sample, use a magnetic snap....and maybe rivets!:

lapeoples
September 23rd, 2015, 06:40 AM
Most people don't use rivets or have what they need to do them.

Sandy Navas
September 23rd, 2015, 09:38 AM
Make sure everyone has their own paid-for-up-front pattern, too.

I would definitely limit the number of participants and would easily (if I were taking the class) pay $80 for a 4 hours session.

ozziepuppy
September 24th, 2015, 01:39 AM
I think two different days. One to cut everything correctly and get it all interfaced. One to do the sewing and hardware. Just my thoughts.

bubba
September 24th, 2015, 01:52 AM
I did the Professional Tote in two days of classes. Didn't think about it for this one.

ozziepuppy
September 25th, 2015, 12:57 AM
I would make supplies available as a package deal--especially the interfacing. I might have different classes for beginning sewers vs more advanced sewers. I would also recommend non-directional fabric for the first one.

Simply Quilting
September 25th, 2015, 01:53 AM
After beginning the NCW for the first time. (Still working on finishing, hopefully it will be done tomorrow.) Here are a couple of suggestions from my experience so far.

I agree that using a magnetic lock would be so much easier than the twist lock. Very thankful for Jean's help with getting the lock piece on the flap.

Be sure to recommend the importance of easy to work with fabric. I am using Batiks which was not the best choice for trying it the first time. For sure not leather or vinyl to try the pattern for the first time. I am basing this recommendation from the fact that I have never made a wallet like this before - but have sewn many garments, quilts etc - just not wallets.

A limited class size.

Sewing machines that can handle the thickness of all the materials.

Not sure if you can do this teaching the class but I found it so much easy to put together and turn by using Jean's method of having the lining cut in half (it is on Jean's videos)

bubba
September 25th, 2015, 02:06 AM
I did not know she cut the lining, but that is how I do it as well. You get a much nicer finished look.