PDA

View Full Version : i finally did it!!!

bubba
September 17th, 2015, 01:27 AM
My youngest daughter, alright...she is 35, has been trying to figure out what to make people for Christmas presents. She really is not crafty. Anyway, she decided that she wanted to sew pillowcases. Flashback to when she was a child and I tried to get both her and her sister to learn to sew and she had no desire to learn. Twenty years later, it's not a pleasant experience to try to teach her.

She thought that she would just buy the fabric amounts called for, then sew them together and call it a day!!! I sat her down and made her sew practice seams on scraps. She was not happy. We then advanced to the rotary cutter and rulers (I don't think my mat will ever be the same again!). Finally.....time to sew!

She was not enjoying herself, everything was stupid or dumb and she had no patience whatsoever and I was quickly getting a migraine. I had never made one of these pillowcases, so I was also sewing one so that I would be able to explain to her what to do step by step. We got thru the first one and she decided this really was not so bad after all!! I told her she was on her own to do the second and to let me know if she had questions. She did it all by herself!!!!

Anyway, I have fallen in love with making those pillowcases! I may not have a stash for long!! Best part is they are quick and easy to make.

K. McEuen
September 17th, 2015, 01:32 AM
I made one the other day which was the first one I had done in a couple years. I immediately cut out 2 more and made them too. They are great for that instant gratification.

stationarymom
September 17th, 2015, 01:34 AM
Congrats! This must feel like such an accomplishment since she didn't seem to thrilled at the beginning.

redcaboose1717
September 17th, 2015, 01:42 AM
Pat,
My BFF decided this past spring that she wanted to learn to sew.....and so she went out, purchase a new sewing machine ( and then asked my opinion on the brands ...which I didn't let her know I would have purchased another brand than the one she did. Oh well, the point is, she did purchase a machine ! ) and then wanted to know what would be the simplest thing for her to start with. I suggested some shorts for her great nephew who is 11 yrs old, and then maybe some pillowcases. Well, she decided that she wanted to do the pillowcases FIRST....and oh boy, was there a lot of nasty little "words" being muttered when she first started to learn to use a rotary cutter ! Finally, I felt sorry for her, and cut the fabric for the pillowcases that she wanted to make for her sister. ( Her sister had a June B-day coming up ). Actually after a few practice runs, ( on scrap material ) she then tackled the first pillowcase, and then the 2nd one. She actually didn't do too bad. We went out and purchased some more fabric for her to make more pillowcases and a couple of simple patterns for her to make a great niece a couple of simple dresses.
I reminded my BFF that it takes time to learn to sew, that she would soon get things down to pat, and be on her way ! I really enjoy helping others learn to sew from time to time and always smile when I think back that my MIL taught me to sew over the telephone when my DH and I were living in Illinois when DH was going to college.

Hulamoon
September 17th, 2015, 01:53 AM
One of the greatist words out of my youngest's dd's mouth was 'thank you mom for teaching me how to sew'. She was the most stubborn student. You have to do the pattern the right way from the beginning I told her. Don't cut all wonky. The start is the most important part. (we were making clothes)

Sewing is like baking in a way. There is a formula. But with quilts you an be one of those molecular chefs.

bubba
September 17th, 2015, 01:53 AM
She told me that she was going to take Ryan's machine home with her so she could sew on that. I informed her she was not unless I heard from Ryan that her mom had permission to be using her machine (we gave it to her for her b'day). It didn't matter anyway, because she only bought fabric for four cases and they all got sewn. Three of them were from flannel (on sale at J's for $3.99...hope it holds up!) and the other from cotton. She got four of them for just over $20, and she was quite pleased with that. She's raring to go buy more fabric to make some more already!! I told her I'd be willing to sew with her one day a week after consulting my order list to find it has grown to 19 items!!! So glad I'm done with and have delivered the wedding stuff!

sewlucky
September 17th, 2015, 02:04 AM
My mom showed me how to make pillow cases last winter. I did, and do, revisit the tutorial to remind myself how to do them each time though, lol. I love making pillow cases and have three on my to do list right now!

I'm glad your daughter has got the bug to sew...and I can't believe you've not yet made pillow cases! Seahawk a few, you will have orders for sure!

Terri

Carol336
September 17th, 2015, 06:22 AM
My Grandmom was a seamstress....made every stitch of clothing for me and my 4 sisters for the first 10-15 years of our lives. We hated it - especially as we got close to the teen years. We just wanted to wear clothes like the other girls were wearing. We were so stupid!!! Plus dear Grandmom tried in vain to get us to learn to sew.....no way in hell were any one of us going to do that!!!!

Fast forward a few years....Grandmom is now gone, I'm 19 years old and I win a sewing machine at the carnival (a scam of sorts, as I "won"the machine but had to buy the cabinet it went in) . I get that puppy home and had to teach myself how to use it. For many years I made most of my own clothes, and some of my boys clothes, and I've lost count of the times I wish I could ask Grandmom how to do this or that.

As for those little pillow cases - l love love love making them....always make the gkids one for Christmas and also one to take on our family vacations each summer. I just recently made a batch of new ones for my bed.

bubba
September 17th, 2015, 02:44 PM
I'm glad your daughter has got the bug to sew...and I can't believe you've not yet made pillow cases! Seahawk a few, you will have orders for sure!

Terri

My oldest sister made Seahawk cases last year....people willingly bought them for $25 each!!!! I thought it was crazy! That said, that material is too stiff/rough for me to sleep on. I guess it's what floats your boat!

alliek
September 17th, 2015, 03:50 PM
My grandmother was a professional seamstress. She sewed for the fashion houses in New York City in the early 1900's. She could make anything from wedding dresses to coats and make them beautifully with such amazing finished seams. My mother sewed too, not professionally but she made lovely clothes for me and her. I sew, not as well as my grandmother, but I enjoy it so much. It stopped with me, my DD, whom I love with all my heart, just about sews on a button (if she can't fasten it with a safety pin!) I tried to teach her, forget it. We just don't go there anymore. Now my DGD, my sons daughter, Gabby is a theatre major and she has learned to use a machine and has made costumes and made herself simple skirts. I have HOPE!

songbird857
September 17th, 2015, 09:00 PM
Good for you, Pat - for hanging in there!!!
My mom sewed my whole life; my grandmother too... I took sewing in 5th grade, and took my friend's tote bag to pass off as my own (with her permission) - I really did not like to sew.
My mom made me a beautiful dress when I was 21 and playing Consuelo in West Side Story, as well as a myriad of costumes over the years.. I just didn't catch that bug until I had girls of my own! I started with doll clothes and moved on to garments when they were younger. Then came figure skating dresses and assorted costumes, etc. Everything was done with a huge learning curve!!
Now it's quilts and bags (along with whatever else catches my eye)... I'm not giving up on my girls catching the bug - there is time :)

Quiltfreestyle
September 18th, 2015, 01:36 AM
Pat, you're a good Mom for not giving up!! I had 3 boys who weren't really interested in learning to sew ( not surprising). But my middle boy did learn enough about operating the sewing machine so he can mend his uniforms & sew on the various patches. They can all cook very well so I'm not a total failure!! LOL

bubba
September 18th, 2015, 03:17 AM
MM can sew. He made the girls outfits when they were little and when Heather got married the first time around, he made her wedding dress!

Both the girls are good cooks. When Tyler lived with us, he was required to make one dinner a week. Quite often, it was the same thing, but he was cooking!

I see nothing wrong with the men doing these things. MM loves to wash dishes by hand, and I have no problem letting him!