PDA

View Full Version : Tuesdays - a day to appreciate

Blondie
September 15th, 2015, 06:59 AM

Hello Folksies and Happy Tuesday!
I was quite busy yesterday with the usual stuff that keeps me busy - y'all know all about, cooking, cleaning and laundry and all that jazz. I also accompanied DD to a visitation/memorial for a very dear friend of ours who passed over the weekend. We have another one this week for a girl Sarah went through school with. Both sad for different reasons but both of these lovely ladies lead lives that were inspirational on different levels. Today I will be carrying some food over to one of the family's. I stayed up late last night baking and will be finishing up this morning. Normally I have some unfrosted cakes in the freezer for such things - found out last night I was out!

Linda was a "princess" from the day she was born. Absolutely knock out gorgeous, perfect face, teeth, body, always perfectly tan, dressed in fashion and although it would have been easy to despise her for all her outward attributes, she was so much fun. We were great friends. She cared and lived with her dear Mom for years with wonderful devotion. What a figure she cut driving that little convertible with a scarf over her head and big black sunglasses on. Several years ago, she developed COPD and after a while couldn't care for herself. That is when my DD got to know her on a different level as a caregiver with her job. Yesterday's celebration of her life was wonderful and full of joy for a life well lived.

Beth was a young girl when we met her - she was a classmate of Sarah's. Throughout high school she fought through leukemia, beating it into remission. She graduated college, taught elementary grade school until the dreaded revisited her. Waiting for a bone marrow transplant which in the end wouldn't help her, Beth never lost her zeal for life. Her only regret when we last visited her a few weeks back (she was at Duke Hospital - a long drive for us) was when she said, she wished she had known love and married. She was a true inspiration for so many in our community and her close friends.

I know it is early in the morning for this. I don't mean it to be a downer, rather encourage all of us to share some of our love of creating to share with someone in need. What I want to say is that these two separate women touched more lives than their immediate family. Long before MSQC opened for business, these two precious ones received a COC. Years after they had been laundered and laundered and laundered, they were still a part of giving these gals a reminder that they were loved and cared for deeply.

Many here have received one, as well as families and friends from here as well. Add to that people from all over the world - literally every continent - have received a COC. While the rest of us may never meet them, it is important to let these dear ones know that they are loved, prayed for and very necessary. Everyone is somebody's someone.
If you know of someone who needs some extra comfort - please consider joining us at the group for COC's - (Comfort Quilts group). You can make these up and give them yourselves or send the tops to me and I will make one as fast as I can stitch them. They are easy to put together and while I mostly hand quilt them, it really doesn't matter how they are quilted! It never leaves my mind but there but by the Grace of God could be me or anyone here. Everyone is touched by events or illnesses out of their control.

Be happy today! Think of the possibilities today holds. Be good to yourselves and share that goodness. And of course, by then you will be SMILING.

Monique
September 15th, 2015, 07:28 AM
Good morning Blondie. I, for a fact, know how much those COC quilts mean to someone. Blondie, sorry for your loss.

I had a busy day yesterday, rearranging furniture in the living room. This room is Les'. He can do with it what he wants. The only thing he doesn't do is sweep or vacuum.

I sandwiched a table runner yesterday with the bright idea of FMQ'ing it. Hm, I thought, maybe I should try a practice piece before I start. What a disaster. Good thing, that runner would have been ruined. What was I thinking? NEED MORE practice that's for sure.

So I work today until 1. The couch that is sitting in the kitchen is going to my neighbour's daughter and should be out of here late this afternoon. I might try and finish the table runner that is being machine straight line quilted.

My brother is coming tomorrow to have a look at the sewing machine I bought on Sunday and I also work again tomorrow.

Well, have a great day everyone.

Granny Judy
September 15th, 2015, 07:48 AM
LOL, That kitten is me this morning. I need a cuppa to take the edge off. And I Too, know how much a COC quilt is appreciated. I catch my DD wrapped up in it while watching tv most every evening. It is well used and loved here at our house.

I am on my table runner duty this week. DD needs something special to gift and she requested a dozen. So far I have 6 made and six to go. I want each one to be special so am using my best fabric and various designs. She likes to display them all and let the receivers pick out the one they like. Which means I make a couple extras..

DD#2 is getting a bunch of test done for pre op to remove any remaining tumor/tissue on the 28th. So it is with mixed feelings that we celebrate the end of chemo treatments. And with trepidation we face the next phase. She is handling this much better than I. (I need that COC quilt......now)

aliaslaceygreen
September 15th, 2015, 08:21 AM
(((((hugs))))) to you and Sarah, Blondie....
It sounds like the world lost a few loves.

It has been blissfully cool and non-humid, although it appears each day it will ratchet up a bit in degree... I am shooting an outdoor wedding on Saturday, so I look forward to it leveling off before it gets steamy!

Work was surprisingly unbad for a Monday, although I am going to have a LONG process in front of me training my new fulltimer...she wasn't my choice, and I do not believe she has the temperament...but as I seem to be the place from which other stores steal staff when they run low with not a worry in the world that I am understaffed... This is what I have. SIGH. Going into Christmas with the least amount of support ever, so if you hear screams...it's me....

Ok. I CAN do this.
Breathe.

Have a great day!!

GrammaBabs
September 15th, 2015, 08:33 AM
So very well said Blondie....
Living here, i am faced each day with the reminder that "Nothing is forever"...
We all make it a point to grasp everyday with a smile and if possible a spring in our step,,,any day can be your last on earth so WHY NOT!!
At this stage i have the luxury of doing anything i want pretty much any day.. Of course i choose SEWING...:)) but i'm making it a point to give what i make..
Last week it was for a gal being treated for pancreatic cancer... tumor has shrunk!!! Did a cathedral style quilt that we all signed... She is an inspiration!!!
I echo Blondie in saying that there is nothing more gratifying than giving a quilt!!!! and lots of times they help healing in so many ways. Add that to the warm feeling it give YOU and it's a no brainer:)) Join us if you can.. Hugs, GB

Ginny B
September 15th, 2015, 08:52 AM
Good morning all. {{{Hugs}}} to you and your daughter, Blondie. Sorry for the loss of your two friends.

I have been busy over the weekend finishing up a quilt, a couple of flannel blankets and some burp cloths for my step-daughters "Sprinkle" this coming weekend. I guess that's a new thing when someone is having a second (or I suppose third, fourth, etc.) baby. They still have all the big things from when they had their first child so they only need new little things for the successive children so instead of a full shower, they have a sprinkle. Of course, in this case we know it's a little girl and Vicky already has our Max so she definitely needs some more "girly" colors. I made the quilt with pinks and purples. I also bought her first little doll. A nice soft, cuddly one.

The weather was very fall-like yesterday and it was wonderful. It will be more summer-like as the week goes on but we got a little taste of autumn and I am looking forward to it coming back to stay for a while.

Have a good day everyone.

Sandy Navas
September 15th, 2015, 09:26 AM
Sending out special hugs and prayers for all in need.

I'm going to Hamilton - nah-nah-nah-nah-nah . . . NAH!!

Bubby
September 15th, 2015, 09:29 AM
Morning Everyone,

Blondie, sorry for your and Sarah's loss. I agree about the love and comfort that comes with a COC quilt. Mine is used and treasured, Sandy's DH, Al, quilted mine, making it even more special. So far this year almost everything I've made has been or will be given to others. It's a blessing to be able to share the things we make with our hands and hearts.

Judy, you amaze me! I continue to pray for your DD and you. Sometimes knowing a lot about things add stress. I know that's the case for me in some areas. Hang in there, DF.

Dottie & Olive were groomed yesterday. Little Olive continues to be a handful and even snapped at Auntie Claudia yesterday and Dottie didn't want to be brushed. Claudia has been grooming Scotties for me for 25 years and has the patience of a saint. She lost her husband this year and I see her getting frail. She has a remarkable spirit...truly an angel walking amongst us.

I had a very long and tedious day yesterday. We were having some computer issues and I must have spent 2 hours at least on the phone with tech people and I think finally all our devices are synched together. I got my flu shot and so far so good on side effects.

The local fabric store now send emails with pictures of new fabric and wow do I ever have to visit them today!

Wishing everyone a blessed day.

tnmtgrl
September 15th, 2015, 09:40 AM
Good Morning All!! It's another cool morning here, it's soooo nice!! The fur babies are feeling their oats with the cooler weather...the puppy is bouncing around like crazed monster.

Blondie so sorry for your loss.

I hope everyone has a good day today....I know Sandy's will be awesome...she's going to Hamilton!! I hope everyone is able to get in a little sewing time today. I am off to get my hair cut and then I plan on getting in the studio!!.

irishrn
September 15th, 2015, 09:49 AM
Morning all! Sending hugs to Blondie and Sarah. So sorry for your loss.

Busy day yesterday with painter! Got ceiling and walls done but definitely need second coat on both. So he will have to return another day. I'm not a professional painter, but I sure work faster than the guys do!!! But he does a better trim out that I do!

Today is final cleaning before delivery of the new sofa. Finally getting sofa with a chaise on the end. Perhaps this will keep DH's legs up more as he tends to sleep sitting up! His ankles and feet have been swollen and he has decreased feeling in both ( neuropathy)
Now let's hope he cooperates!! His brain MRI scheduled for Monday. We will see what RX MD decides on!

Wishing all some pretty fall days and cool nights! Certainly sleep better in this weather!

auntiemern
September 15th, 2015, 09:55 AM
So very sorry for yours,Sarah's, and three communities loss. I know how hard it had hit. I too can attest to the comfort and love you feel when you are wrapped up in a COC quilt. You can literally feel the love that had gone on to one. Not much on my plate today.Had a rough night, and do not want a relapse right before the retreat. Taking the 2little ones to school soon. Hugs and prayers all around.

GrammaBabs
September 15th, 2015, 10:08 AM
Marilyn... you stay "as down as you can"... that retreat wouldn't be the same without YOU.... take care GF..
Off for my day of quilting with my "gals"... Best day of the week...:))))))))))

CrazyMtnLady
September 15th, 2015, 10:23 AM
Good morning all. Blondie, so sorry for the loss of your and Sarah's friends. Big hugs to you both.

Weather is a bit on the cool side now at nights and early mornings but still warms up nicely during the. Won't be long and I will be cranking up the wood stove....if I can find someone to bring firewood. I do have some long branches around the place I can cut up with my electric chainsaw, but I can't use the big chainsaw. :( Things are hectic for me, trying to get everything winterized, while DH is recuperating. The arm is healing from the surgery but only 7% use of it at present. So he will not be able to do anything to help. But so much more to do. Some days I just feel overwhelmed.

Blondie I know how much the COC quilts can mean. I love the one I was sent after the loss of my MIL. The minute I put it over me I felt the comfort and love that I know was put in every stitch.

I have 50lbs each of flour, sugar, rice, oatmeal and cornmeal to vacuum seal and put in storage (after I freeze it for a week, which kills any little buggies that might be in it, and we all know they are there). Also need to mow lawn and do more outside. Had to drain the hot tub because it stopped working so now I need to clean it :( Still lots of other things to do outside also.
Maybe at some point I can settle down and start sewing again.

Have a wonderful day and hugs and prayers to all.

ceiliam
September 15th, 2015, 10:48 AM
First Blondie I am so sorry for you and daughters loss. Judy hugs to you and your daughter. Marilyn take care of yourself. Tongue sticking out at you Sandy, I am so jealous. Hope you all have a wonderful time.
I plan on getting back on COC today finally feeling almost human again. Had orginaaly hoped to get in mail last week hopefully in mail today or tomorrow at latest. Hope all have great day. Hugs and prayers to those who need them.

GaGa
September 15th, 2015, 11:54 AM
Thank you for those words of inspiration, Blondie! Sometimes it's good to reassess our priorities! We have 5 grown sons and the middle one was diagnosed with leukemia when he was 15. It was a rough 3 years - and he still has the quilt I worked on while we spent so many hours and days in the hospital and in treatment centers. (I didn't piece it but I hand quilted it with a hoop so I could take it with me.) He is now 40, married, has 4 children and lives life with gusto! So - the quilt was a kind of solace for me and is a reminder to him of just how precious life is! I just started "real" quilting recently and plan to start on one for a friend who was recently diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Thanks for the reminder of how meaningful this is!

Brenda

GaGa
September 15th, 2015, 11:55 AM
Thank you for those words of inspiration, Blondie! Sometimes it's good to reassess our priorities! We have 5 grown sons and the middle one was diagnosed with leukemia when he was 15. It was a rough 3 years - and he still has the quilt I worked on while we spent so many hours and days in the hospital and in treatment centers. (I didn't piece it but I hand quilted it with a hoop so I could take it with me.) He is now 40, married, has 4 children and lives life with gusto! So - the quilt was a kind of solace for me and is a reminder to him of just how precious life is! I just started "real" quilting recently and plan to start on one for a friend who was recently diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Thanks for the reminder of how meaningful this is!

Carrie J
September 15th, 2015, 12:53 PM
Blondie, sending you and Sarah Warm Hugs. So very sorry, the world seems to have lost some very special souls once again.

Sandy, (interject raspberry sound amplified X's twenty ROFL!). Have a great time, like that's not a given! Marilyn, take care and don't rush it! Jen, sounds like you have a plan for the day. As Soon as this post is done, I'm at the cutting table this morning, the frame this afternoon!!!

Hugs to all, Blessings for those in need!

Claire Hallman
September 15th, 2015, 01:52 PM
Hi folks, Bondie has once again reminded us to live every day to the fullest. It is so easy to get wrapped up in the unimportant. Live and enjoy as much as possible.:D
We are back from a few relaxing days at the beach, nice to go, nice to get home. Cookie was thrilled to be back home from the vet's. She loves to go there, too. Happy, happy dog. :icon_bigsmile:
I have missed my sewing room and plan on heading there when I put the computer away.
I got a new magazine with two quilts I want to try, BHGardens Quilting I think, really good issue. I have ordered the new M*QC one and looking forward to it's arrival.
I am headed to the Chattanooga show on Saturday with a bus full of guild members, have a shopping list started but I am sure that there will be sparkly things to catch my eye. I want to see a demo of the FMQ ruler foot and rulers, that may get all my spending money.:icon_heh:
Have a wonderful day all of you peeps, the best possible wishes to you all.