PDA

View Full Version : Carlsbad by San Diego

LoveMyMachines
September 14th, 2015, 11:53 AM
I'm off on travel this week. It looks like there is a quilt shop, island batiks very near where I will stay. Is there anyone here from the San Diego area? Do you know of any "not to miss" quilt our picturesque spots?
I'll be around all week, and hope to catch a few spots in the evening.

I'm sure glad the fires haven't made their way to that area too!

Granny Fran
September 14th, 2015, 02:19 PM
Isn't Quilt in a Day nearby?

LoveMyMachines
September 15th, 2015, 01:31 AM
Yes I think is. Does anyone know if it would be worth a drive?

bubba
September 15th, 2015, 01:36 AM
Yes!!!! Eleanor Burns store is in San Marcos!!!! There is another place about three miles north called Fat Quarter or something....google quilt shops in San Marcos and you will see them.

LoveMyMachines
September 19th, 2015, 11:43 PM
I made it back from California early this morning... 1AM.
While I was on work travel I did carve out some evening fun and stopped by two local quilt shops. I hit Quilt in a Day in San Marcos and a shop called Fat Quarters Quilt Shop in Vista, CA.

While I was not able to meet Eleanor Burns, I did get to take a few fun photos and shop a while. (For the record, I have no studio presence...!) I hope here surgery went well.

The quilt in a day building was tucked back in a business park, but stood out with all of the brightly colored quilt blocks on the outside of the building. The Fat Quarter Quilt Shop was cool since it filled an old farmhouse, a rare type of architecture left in the area!

I picked up a fun panel by Hoffman. I am mulling over how I might use it in displays in my sewing area.

Lori63
September 19th, 2015, 11:54 PM
Looks like you had fun!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
September 19th, 2015, 11:57 PM
I picked up that same panel along with 2 of their new laser printed fabrics. One is like fireworks and the other a cityscapes, but very vibrant colours. Not sure what I will do with the fabric sample colour panel. Post if anyone has done something cool with it.

LoveMyMachines
September 20th, 2015, 01:36 AM
I am thinking of using it as a background for some black sewing related sillouettes for my wall. I'll post pics of how it turns out.

bubba
September 20th, 2015, 02:32 AM
Those are the same two shops I went to! The Fat Quarter shop is a very nice shop. I like how each room holds a different type fabric....Civil War, kids, etc. I really like the décor and that old cabinet they have near the register. I was there during a shop hop and both places were really busy.

Did you make it to the upstairs area of the house? When I was there it was warm....I'd hate to see it during warm weather!

redcaboose1717
September 20th, 2015, 08:07 AM
I agree....looks like you had a great day ! My BFF ( who I have recently turned into a quilter ! ) wants to go to Frankenmuth MI to look at all the Christmas Decorations etc. Haven't been up there in "years" but maybe along the way we can find some Quilt Shops to stop at.
If any of you live in Michigan and have found any awesome quilt shops please let me know !