PDA

View Full Version : My brother and the CA Valley Fire

cyndiofthevortex
September 14th, 2015, 11:07 AM
In case you see it on the news, think of my brother Tom. The blaze is only 7 miles from his home and he refuses to leave. He is the only one left in his neighborhood. We are sick with worry. We are praying that he comes to his senses and gets out of there while he still can. There are only two roads off his mountain road and one is already closed due to the fire. My sister lives safely away from the fire, only 3 hours away, and has offered him her home where he can stay. Like I said, he won't go. Seven miles away!

Lori63
September 14th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Oh my, I saw some of it on the news last night, it's just awful. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts.

mischiefkat
September 14th, 2015, 12:02 PM
He's in my prayers.

Monique
September 14th, 2015, 12:09 PM
How horrible. Hopefully he stays safe.

Midge
September 14th, 2015, 12:44 PM
Oh dear. After seeing maps and video of that fire your family must be sick with worry. And I'm sure it's no comfort at all that he is choosing to endanger his life. I hope there is still time for him to come to his senses and get out of the area.

DebbieDoodle
September 14th, 2015, 01:10 PM
I will pray that he will be safe.

cyndiofthevortex
September 14th, 2015, 01:11 PM
Jonas is monitoring the fire info for me. I just can't watch it. I am working on a Falling Charms quilt for charity to give me something productive to do. I have hundreds of 4" colorful squares all cut out from the days when I used to sell them on ebay, and I have a cute white print with colorful dots all over it for the sashing.

It eases my worry to quilt while I pray.

cyndiofthevortex
September 14th, 2015, 01:59 PM
Mandatory evac notice now. He still won't leave. He is running out of time to get out of there. Help us, Lord!

Midge
September 14th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Cyndi, your brother has to meet the Lord halfway. I'm praying for you to have peace regardless of his decisions.

Granny Fran
September 14th, 2015, 03:34 PM
One can only wonder what is going on in his mind. I will pray for everyone's safety and your peace of mind.

cyndiofthevortex
September 14th, 2015, 03:35 PM
Cyndi, your brother has to meet the Lord halfway. I'm praying for you to have peace regardless of his decisions.This just doesn't make any sense. It seems like madness to me. You hear about people here in New England staying in their homes when a major hurricane is coming. I know this kind of thing happens. But now it's happening to my brother. He needs to get out before it's too late. We are walking a fine line between giving him the space to make the right decision and begging him to leave.

Panda
September 14th, 2015, 04:03 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I hope he gets out.

Kathy

sewelegant
September 14th, 2015, 04:33 PM
Has he said why he won't leave? Just wondering what his thinking is. Prayers for his safety.

Jean Sewing Machine
September 14th, 2015, 04:35 PM
So scary! I pray he comes to his senses and leaves while he can.

BellasQuilts
September 14th, 2015, 04:47 PM
I can see why you are so scared for him. These fires are travelling so fast because we are in such a drought. Will pray for him to come to his senses and get out of there!

CraftHer
September 14th, 2015, 04:53 PM
Said a prayer for you brother and your family.

Midge
September 14th, 2015, 05:51 PM
This just doesn't make any sense. It seems like madness to me. You hear about people here in New England staying in their homes when a major hurricane is coming. I know this kind of thing happens. But now it's happening to my brother. He needs to get out before it's too late. We are walking a fine line between giving him the space to make the right decision and begging him to leave.

I know it doesn't. It's hard to imagine what I would say if he were my brother. Those who stay put in low-lying areas during hurricanes are taking the same kinds of risks. There is nothing you can do, no matter how strong or how fit, to overcome the force of the ocean storm surge or a wildfire of that magnitude. What is he planning to do, use his garden hose? I don't think you and your family's fears for him is over-reacting one bit. But I guess I would make that one further phone call and beg him to leave. Which you have probably already done. Is he usually this much of a control freak

pcbatiks
September 14th, 2015, 06:17 PM
Hoping he makes the decision to get out of there..........he can't save his home by staying. Saying a prayer that he changes his mind.

GuitarGramma
September 14th, 2015, 06:20 PM
Cyndi, have your husband call him and share how sick with worry you are. He might listen to a man, and he might be motivated to help his sister if a man asks him to.

In the meantime, I'll pray!

Grandma Nan
September 14th, 2015, 07:05 PM
Cyndi, praying your brother makes the right decision before it is too late.

songbird857
September 14th, 2015, 07:54 PM
Lord, we pray that you would nudge (ok.... push) Tom to leave so that he will be safe. If not for himself, then for his family who is worried. Thank you Jesus - Amen :)

mommamarsh
September 15th, 2015, 01:09 AM
Sending you prayers for peace and a psycic slap up side his head.

Judy, USMC
September 15th, 2015, 04:40 AM
Adding prayers that he decides to remain safe!

ceiliam
September 15th, 2015, 12:04 PM
Prayers hopefully you were able to get him out

jjkaiser
September 15th, 2015, 12:34 PM
You have probably tried everything you can think of to get him to leave. Have you tried talking to a ff at your local fire dept? Maybe they have some ideas you haven't thought of to convince him to leave.

cyndiofthevortex
September 15th, 2015, 01:32 PM
He is the only one left up on his hill. I'm gone all day today but will write tonight and let everyone know if there have been any changes during the day. I feel numb about it all. I can't even think straight anymore.

Even though there is a mandatory evac notice, they won't go up there and drag him out until there is an emergency evac notice. So there's nothing the sheriff can even do.

alliek
September 15th, 2015, 01:47 PM
Cyndi, prayers right now for your brother . Men can be so stubborn sometimes, God please overlook his unwillingness and protect him.

songbird857
September 15th, 2015, 04:14 PM
Still praying all is ok with him - let us know...

cyndiofthevortex
September 15th, 2015, 10:17 PM
Tom's neighborhood has now been cleared for residents to come back home. He is safe. He is just lucky he lives in CA and not near me where I might be strangling him at this moment for all the worry he put our family through!

Thank you all for your care, concern and prayers. I appreciate you all.

Yay! My brother is safe!

Ginny B
September 15th, 2015, 10:42 PM
Oh my gosh. I can't imagine how worried you were. I'm glad he is safe. and glad he is safe from his sister too!

SallyO'Sews
September 15th, 2015, 10:46 PM
So glad to hear the good news!
Next time you see him, give him a big hug from me.
Then smack him upside his stubborn head! :icon_heh:

Lori63
September 15th, 2015, 11:14 PM
So glad he's safe! We were watching coverage on the news tonight and I was telling my hubby about it, but realized I hadn't heard anymore, so thanks for keeping us updated. And I agree you should smack him in the head for making you worry!

jjkaiser
September 15th, 2015, 11:34 PM
I am so glad he is okay! How many new gray hairs did you get?

BellasQuilts
September 16th, 2015, 01:44 AM
So glad to hear, but what did he think he was going to do by staying? Smack him for me...!

KarenC
September 16th, 2015, 07:36 AM
So glad to hear the good newe and he is safe.

Suzette
September 16th, 2015, 08:22 AM
Somehow I missed this post until today or my prayers would have been added among all the others. But I cannot tell you how relieved I am that he is safe and you can now relax too. :)

ceiliam
September 16th, 2015, 09:48 AM
Cyndi, I am so glad for the good news scary stuff

bhaggerty
September 16th, 2015, 10:35 AM
So glad he is ok!

irishrn
September 16th, 2015, 01:34 PM
Catching up..... So glad your brother is OK. I hope this doesn't enbold him for future emergencies!
He sounds just like my DH!!!

Hugs to you!!!!!

songbird857
September 16th, 2015, 01:38 PM
Good news for sure! Whew....