PDA

View Full Version : Upstate NY, what's it like?

Jean Sewing Machine
September 14th, 2015, 09:08 AM
My daughter's family will be moving to Massena, NY in the near future. I know there are a lot of forum members who live in NY state and in southern Canada near that area. What is it like up there?

I'm very sad that my grandkids will be 1000 miles away from me, from living 2-1/2 miles away now. They found a cute little house this weekend, and are excited for a new adventure because of a job promotion. But, I look forward to new traveling opportunities, maybe not in the big snow season!

What can you tell me about the area?

Hulamoon
September 14th, 2015, 09:16 AM
I haven't been there, but heard it was beautiful. Farms and country like.

Jean Sewing Machine
September 14th, 2015, 09:24 AM
I haven't been there, but heard it was beautiful. Farms and country like.
The lady from Hawaii and I want to know! LOL! I've heard it is beautiful during certain parts of the year, then other parts it is just white!

RiverMomm
September 14th, 2015, 09:38 AM
I've heard it is beautiful during certain parts of the year, then other parts it is just white!

Yep, that just about says it all. Very beautiful at times and very white at other times!

I have my snow boots, dress boots, and ice boots. These go on my "ice" boots:
http://www.amazon.com/WAYPOR-Traction-Outdoor-Stretchable-Slipping/dp/B00QKQ81W2/ref=zg_bs_5160160011_15

Jean Sewing Machine
September 14th, 2015, 09:39 AM
Yep, that just about says it all. Very beautiful at times and very white at other times!

Like how many months is it white?

RiverMomm
September 14th, 2015, 09:47 AM
Like how many months is it white?

Last year it was white from late November through late March. I have been up here for 7 years (wow, that long?!?) and I think the normal is a big snow that stays for the winter is around December 12th and the snow starts to go away the beginning of March. Last year, it never melted all winter, but normally, there are warmish days in January or February that will melt a lot of the snow and then it snows again. It snows in April. Snow and ice are a way of life up here.

Best purchase for us is the professional snow removal service for the driveway. They come before 8am and right before 5pm. It helped so much. All we shovel are the stairs and sidewalks -and some of the back because the cats like to go outside and look around (but that is optional).

Sandy Navas
September 14th, 2015, 09:51 AM
Hey, that's not too far from our friend Nan.

RiverMomm
September 14th, 2015, 09:52 AM
Hey, that's not too far from our friend Nan.

Close to Nan, Monique and me!! I am feeling a quilting visit is in our future!!!

Grandma Nan
September 14th, 2015, 10:12 AM
Yes it is not far from me and Monique and Rivermomm. It is a lovely area Jean but cooler than you are used to. Lots of lakes and beautiful scenery. Massena is in a bit of a snow belt but hard to predict ahead of time. Some years we get lots of snow and then other years we don't. But our winters are cold. Many and I do mean many people really embrace winter as there are lots of fun activities in the winter. I just don't happen to be one of them.

i think we should plan a mini retreat when you come to visit. It won't be like in Missouri as we have no quilt towns where we can just walk out and shop like Hamilton but it could be a fun time and a good chance to work on UFO's. Let's start thinking. This will be a great opportunity for your daughter Jean and you will get to see a new part of the country. Skype is a great tool for keeping in touch with grandkids. Ask me how I know this.

It will be ok and just one more place for you to travel. We'll help you find the positive.

Nan

Jean Sewing Machine
September 14th, 2015, 10:13 AM
Hey, that's not too far from our friend Nan.I know! Besides seeing my grandkids, who I will miss terribly ( tears of sorrow over this have been pouring forth for the last 2 weeks since I found out about this!) I will get to meet some great quilt forum friends, just maybe not during the " white" months! Trying to look on the bright side of this whole moving away idea! Not there yet!

Jean Sewing Machine
September 14th, 2015, 10:15 AM

I have my snow boots, dress boots, and ice boots. These go on my "ice" boots:
Amazon.com: WAYPOR? Ice Grips, Traction Cleats, Ice Cleat, Easy Slip On, Outdoor Durable, 10 Steel Studs, Stretchable, Prevent Slipping From Ice/Snow (medium): Sports & Outdoors (http://www.amazon.com/WAYPOR-Traction-Outdoor-Stretchable-Slipping/dp/B00QKQ81W2/ref=zg_bs_5160160011_15)
Hey, those are some serious cleats!

RiverMomm
September 14th, 2015, 10:33 AM
Hey, those are some serious cleats!

We have serious ice. The folks who grew up here know how to walk/glide on ice. It really doesn't seem to be a problem for them. Not so with me! I slip, slide and fall-grabbing whoever or whatever is close to me. The ice cleats have made my life so much better. I wear them to the car (and then, maybe slip into reg boots but I know how to drive with cleats now). I take one of my quilted bags with my regular boots and slip them on when I get to the inside location. Yep, I change my boots a lot. I love the fake Uggs from Costco! Warm, good for walking in snow (as long as the snow isn't deeper than the boot top) and I put the cleats on an old pair.

And it is COLD here. I mean, way cold! There have been times when it is 40F below with wind chill. But I have learned to dress for the weather and find, as long as I am prepared, the super cold doesn't get to me like it used to. Cover and layer.

I appreciate quilts that much more since moving here. :)

I drive to Massena a couple times a year to shop but not during the heavy winter months. I don't want to get stuck on the side of the highway in the super cold. Yep, I have learned to respect the cold.

dizzyLiz
September 14th, 2015, 10:46 AM
Jean,
I'm originally from Buffalo NY, which is about 300 miles south west from Messena. Buffalo always gets the lake effect snow. When I was a kid we usually had snow by Halloween. But Buffalo doesn't get near as much snow as they did in the 1960's. It is certainly a beautiful area.
I feel for you. My Grands are 3000 miles away in Maply Valley Wa.......you find creative ways to make that connection with them

Jean Sewing Machine
September 14th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Well, they are only 8 hours and 3 planes away by air, or 18 hours by car, but I'll get there somehow to see them!

Monique
September 14th, 2015, 12:12 PM
Close to Nan, Monique and me!! I am feeling a quilting visit is in our future!!!

YES it can be done. WOOHOO!!!!! Start planning Jean. ;)

Ahamblin
September 14th, 2015, 02:34 PM
Jean - I feel your pain. My daughter moved back to Dallas (we are from Dallas) a few years ago and I miss her terribly.

We are in Rochester which is about 6-7 hours away. I have been to that part of the state a few times and it is a beautiful part of the country. If they are moving soon then they will be here for fall and the leaves are spectacular. It is very, very cold there during the winter and the area gets a fair amount of snow. This part of the country is very used to the snow and they handle it well. I have never been stuck at home for more than 12 hours as the plows clear the roads quickly - even during our few blizzards. I agree with paying a plow service, at least for the first year. Ours plows when we get three or more inches. During a snow event he will plow usually by 6:30 am and again around 4:00 pm. We used to blow our own but it is so nice not having to worry about it.

Our friends that live up there go to Canada frequently for dinner, shopping, etc. Remind your daughter that they will need passports to travel to Canada now.

It would be great to have a get together if you get to this part of the country.

Midge
September 14th, 2015, 03:00 PM
Jean, how hard for you to be happy for their opportunity yet distraught they are going so far away. This is why Skype/Facetime is fantastic. It is made for grandmas to stay in touch.

Cleveland isn't nearly as severe in winter as where your kids are going, but it is severe enough. Although the climate has changed and therefore isn't as predictable as it once was when we were all young. But where your kids are going, the Adirondacks are right there. I've stayed at Lake Saranac and hiked, touring the Adirondack "cabins" that are open to the public. It's gorgeous there, and the fall color is superb. Book well in advance and you too can be a 'leaf peeper'. Also you are very close to Vermont, which is equally gorgeous. Burlington, a great college town isn't far. And it isn't far to Montreal. Which is absolutely lovely architecture and great food. You will feel like you are back in Paris.

The advice about dressing for the winter is spot on. Believe the ratings for the down parkas/coats and also the temp ratings for the boots. I love my Sorels in the winter for keeping my feet warm if I am walking any long distance. Yes to ice. It's a skill to walk on it and to drive on it.

Lots of winter activities up our way. Winter camping, hiking, snowshoeing, cross country skiing as well as downhill. Ice skating is big, and if you fish, ice fishing is an art form.There are town festivals in the winter, too. Just dress for it. Lots of fun, actually. Bonfires, hot chocolate, etc. Lots of great birding too, if you are into that. You will have a great time.

SallyO'Sews
September 14th, 2015, 08:57 PM
You can also come to New England as a side trip on your way there or back! :D