PDA

View Full Version : One of the downsides of living in Virginia

Pandabear
September 11th, 2015, 03:06 PM
Spiders... Really big ones... I think this is an orb spider. I'm walking around the house muttering "EW EW EW"

pcbatiks
September 11th, 2015, 03:10 PM
Eeewww.....is her name Charlotte?

Jean Sewing Machine
September 11th, 2015, 03:12 PM
Wow! Serious Halloween decorations!

Lori63
September 11th, 2015, 03:15 PM
Ewww... I can handle spiders, but that one is big!

Granny Fran
September 11th, 2015, 04:04 PM
Just think of all the bugs he's keeping out of the house. LOL That's how I tolerate spiders....they eat flies and I cannot abide flies

shirleyknot
September 11th, 2015, 04:20 PM
Spiders are lovely.........outside. Can't deal with them in the house.

Marta
September 11th, 2015, 06:02 PM
I think spiders are fascinating. Anything that eats flies and mosquitos is welcome in my house

Pandabear
September 11th, 2015, 07:01 PM
I keep telling the spiders they have to live outside. Inside is for people.

I've had more weird bugs and things show up in the house these last two weeks. 2 skinks, a frog, and a cicada to name a few.

Lightwriter
September 11th, 2015, 07:54 PM
We ride a Gator through the woods every morning so the dogs can run....and I have named one of the paths "Spiderweb Alley". Absolutely HUGE spiders with gigantic webs! I have a towel so I can throw the ones we run into back into the woods.

I can deal with those, just don't like them in the house. HOWEVER....I will take spiders over other unwelcome creatures. We live in the country and get visits by mice now and then...and once a SNAKE was in the house.... Major eeekkkkk!!

sidesaddles
September 11th, 2015, 08:00 PM
My 7yo grand-daughters brought me a tarantula this morning.

Carrie J
September 11th, 2015, 08:37 PM
Bertha Butt is her name, LOL!

Sandy Navas
September 11th, 2015, 09:03 PM
As someone posted on FB, If I say I hate spiders then one will show up in my bedroom. Me, I hate Johnny Depp.

JCY
September 11th, 2015, 10:09 PM
Lots of spiders in Colorado, too. Including black widows as well as those brown recluse spiders. That's a mighty big web. When I visited England years ago, the morning heavy dew on spider webs outside was interesting to see.

Deegles
September 12th, 2015, 01:08 AM
Neat! These are called wood spiders where I live. You know a few years ago, I got up around the crack of dawn, and was looking out into the back yard. And because it was not very light outside, I could not for the life of me figure out what was ghostly and floating out by my clothes line. Every time I came to the window I got a little scared and wondered what the heck it was. Finally, daylight, which gives an extra badge of courage. So I walk to the north part of the back yard. And I found the most beautiful spider web much like the one posted in this thread, with dew all over it which is why I could see it from my window with the slightest breeze to gently wave it to any passerby. I personally do not like spiders, they startle the heck out me. That morning I was scared of the unknown. I always am anticipating for that to happen again so I can show someone else the awe and explanation of the ghost in the back yard.

stationarymom
September 12th, 2015, 01:31 AM
Wow! that's quite the web he has woven. They are suppose to mean you have a dry house.(no unwanted dampness)

rebeccas-sewing
September 12th, 2015, 05:14 AM
That's one of the largest spider webs I've ever seen.

Snip Snip
September 12th, 2015, 10:12 AM
I don't mind spiders, but I absolutely hate walking through their webs when walking outside. I have been known to wave a stick in front of me while hiking. When your eyes are on the path, you don't see the webs in front of you. Yuk!

aliaslaceygreen
September 12th, 2015, 11:17 AM
If he is OUTSIDE it is ok... but... INSIDE?? No WAY...

Pandabear
September 12th, 2015, 11:47 AM
We have a ton of trees on our property and if I have have to walk through them - which I try not to do!- I use the stick method too.

Last night as dusk was falling the spider spread his body out to its full on glory. You could see all the legs and how large the body really is.

Quiltfreestyle
September 12th, 2015, 12:01 PM
As far as I'm concerned, me & the creepy crawly things have an armed truce, as long as they stay outside. If they come inside its TOTAL WAR!
My DIL just captured her first scorpion at their new house. I was proud of her that she didn't run screaming from the room.. She is a keeper. :)

Carolyn
September 12th, 2015, 12:37 PM
Live in the woods also. Morning chore is removing spider webs from the decks, porch, etc. I just take a broom along!

Pandabear
September 12th, 2015, 08:10 PM
Found another one this morning spread across my garage door.

I've decided not to leave the house until orb spider season is over.