PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Morning

Blondie
September 10th, 2015, 06:34 AM

Happy Thursday Folksies

We finally got some rain last night. I am not sure how much of the wet stuff fell, but, boy howdy! did we get some thunder lightning and power lines arcing. We turned everything down and out and sat in the dark. There was so much lightning, it was like candle glow. I saw a big flash that happened with lightning and heard the big pop like a firework. I think we may have lost a tree? Daylight will reveal. Thinking of our Allie and wondering how much you got in your area?

And weather - Monique! The earthquake you felt - when we had one a few years back it sounded like a washing machine out of balance with the shaking, walking and banging. That one was a 5 point something or other. When I lived in Ca (Thousand Oaks) there was a good size one in 83 that caused my bed to walk across the room with me in it. I left for the East Coast shortly after that. I kinda like my ground solid beneath my feet.

Besides the NCW craze, what else is a must make trend or personal addiction?? What can you just not stop at making one of?

Work again for the next few days; head is almost 100 per cent. Of course, that does not include my mind. I don't even remember how long it's been since that has been off . . .

KPH
September 10th, 2015, 07:04 AM
Good Morning All.

I got busy yesterday, first time in my sewing room for sewing instead of messing with estate paperwork. That was a good feeling. I made two pillow cases for the child that has leukemia one for the cancer patient, one for the big brother. I just fell in love with the fabric, but didn't have a good reason to buy it, but I did and I'm glad I did. I wrote a note to Phoebe and told her how it made me happy when I saw it in the store. I just hope it will put a smile on her face, with everything she's going to be going through. They'll head out in the mail this morning.

Taking my MIL to Badin Lake tomorrow. It will be a nice visit for her with her two remaining sisters. All three will come back here on Monday to hit the sort of new outlet shopping center. I still haven't been, so it's still new to me. After they go back home, we'll be taking DH's mom back to IN.

Have a great Thursday!

Bubby
September 10th, 2015, 07:42 AM
Morning Everyone....I'm getting ready to leave to drive to Rolla to have my car serviced. I got new tires almost two years ago and they are supposed to be rotated at 5000 miles. Can I help it if it takes me two years to drive that much....lol! We mostly travel in our SUV because Jeff is too large for my HHR. He looks like a circus clown when he drives it.

The new BLOCK magazine is yummy. I enjoyed mine with a cuppa tea and a scottie on each side of me. I love the Bordered Periwinkle that's on the cover. It would be fantastic in Halloween prints with black borders.

I need to head out for the day. Wishing everyone a blessed day.

Judy, USMC
September 10th, 2015, 07:48 AM
Howdy all - been a long time since I checked in. I've finished my responsibilities concerning my SIL and her estate and back in Chicago. Looks like it takes at least a day for the weather to get from Illinois to NC, Blondie. Drove through a blinding downpour with lightning and thunder on Tuesday.

Can't believe that I've only spent 6 weeks out of the last 60 in North Carolina! I never thought I'd say it but I miss my home there. I had so many projects on my list ... guess they will still be waiting for me when I get back in October.

Happy to hear others are more productive than I am. Had to research to see what the NCW craze was since I've been out of the loop for so long. And I know pillowcases are ALWAYS appreciated especially by the young ones. What a thoughtful gesture!

I'm usually a night owl but went to Dunkin Donuts for a late night cuppa coffee. Asked for Decaf but must have gotten the real stuff instead. Been going gangbusters the last 6 hours. Even got my closet organized for fall & winter.

Safe travels to all who venture out ... whether near or far.

Ginny B
September 10th, 2015, 08:05 AM
Good Morning all. We had a bit of rain, thunder and lightning too this morning. It's done now but we may get some more later. We really do need the rain.

Fall is coming! How do I know? Football starts tonight. Busy sports time for me now. Baseball is still going strong and now you add some football into the mix. Exciting time here in NY with both our baseball teams in the mix for post-season at this point. We shall see how the football season plays out. DH is a Seahawks fan. No, he never lived in Washington. He just started following them when they first came into the league and has stuck with them all these years.

Time to get some things accomplished. So today I ask you this question: "Are you ready for some football?" Have a great day everyone.

Grandma Nan
September 10th, 2015, 08:29 AM
Good morning quilty friends
It has really cooled down this morning compared to the heat wave we have been in for the last couple of weeks. It really does remind you of fall weather. Speaking of Fall, it seems like the world has gone crazy since it turned Sept 1. The guilds have started up, we have a lot of September birthdays in our family, I have been doing some winter preserves, and the "C"- - - - - - - - word is starting to slip into conversations. Yikes....it scares me!!!

Well this week I helped my dad with his apples and we did about 10 quarts of applesauce (still tons of apples on the tree) and this is the 3rd time we have done them. Then yesterday I did 20 lbs of beets for the freezer- that makes about 20 quart size freezer bags so quite a bit for 2 of us. I got a huge zucchini so I do definitely see some zucchini bread in our near future. I did my tomatoes and corn earlier in August. I honestly have had only a little bit of time in my sewing room in the last couple of weeks.

Lots of good stuff happening and I must say I am looking forward to the next year. Feeling quite positive and smiling. I hope your day is going well.

dwil23
September 10th, 2015, 08:29 AM
Good Morning, all!

Had a good day yesterday - I went to friend Deborah's house to use her printer to print one label and ended up staying all day! I picked up a DD Pumpkin Coffee and breakfast sandwich on the way and we also had some other pumpkin goodies to munch on. Fall is officially here even if the weatherman won't know it for months! When I got home last night, i started laying out the 7 1/2 inch squares for the next baby quilt. I had three that I had done appliques on that had to be cut down to match. Yep, the last cut on the last one and I cut it at 7". &(#@^$&$(@#&*@(* The only thing to do was cut down all the other 34 squares to match. So that's how I spent my evening and then got them sewn together. I sure do love the "webbing system" that I learned from Bonnie Hunter. Don't know that she is the one that came up with it or not but it sure does speed things along!

Have a Blessed Day!

MRoy
September 10th, 2015, 09:02 AM
Good morning! It's raining here and the weather is supposed to be much cooler the rest of the week. I've been working on the blocks for the Illusion quilt I'm making for DH's aunt. I've worked on them at guild sit-n-sew each week. I'll get the last ones finished today and be ready to start sewing them together.

I've got a Falling Charms quilt ready for binding. I made the top when I first started quilting. I used Quilter's Dream polyester batting and the quilt is fairly heavy. This is the first one I've kept for myself and it will make a good winter quilt since DH keeps the bedroom soooo cold.

It's definitely looking like fall here, although it's been really hot this past week.

irishrn
September 10th, 2015, 09:40 AM
Morning all. Got woken up last night to some really loud thunder. Assume there was rain with it as the grass is quite wet this morning. Poor Casey paced all over the house during the storm. I could hear his nails on the floors. I got up at some point and came out to the couch. I always sleep better there!!! DH is still asleep, Casey is outside on squirrel patrol and should be nice and muddy when he decides to come back in!!!
I did finish the hash tag quilt top yesterday and then started cutting out 2 1/2 in Sq for the plus sign quilt. When they are done I can quilt them both and send them on their way. Both are baby quilts and the babies are at least 3 mo old already!!! I'm a bit behind!!!
Need to run a few errands today and try to spend some time attacking that garden!!! Also need to get a few things at the store!!
So we will see what gets done. Don't have any energy, I can only assume it's from the fall allergies. But the humidity is great for my eyes!!! Still on eye drops till next Friday. Then wait a week for recheck on my glasses for new prescription!

Hope all have a good day!!!

Jean Sewing Machine
September 10th, 2015, 10:22 AM
Good morning! I am getting things ready for the forum retreat. Making some sample quilts. I'm trying an I Spy quilt and dreaded snowballing all those corners, but it took less than an hour to do them! I'll finish putting it together later, once I locate my "wood" fabric for the tops! It is something I've always wanted to make!

Hope everyone enjoys the weather cooling off, I know I am! Have a great day!

Monique
September 10th, 2015, 10:41 AM
Good morning dear friends. Spent a quiet evening alone, Les went to the camp with a friend. I started a Halloween table runner and just about have that done. Bonnie is meeting me this morning at the community centre to sandwich a couple of quilts with me. Slowly getting back to sewing, now that the temperatures have cooled off.

Have a great day everyone. AND there were no after shocks that I felt anyway after the quake. Suits me just fine.

aliaslaceygreen
September 10th, 2015, 10:53 AM
Good morning... I think the headache traveled over here, Blondie... ;( ... but I am making progress with the caffeine portion of my morning... I took a vacation day, must get a haircut and if it does dry up a bit I might go for a photo wander later on...
But hopefully, Laylabug's mommy will drive by with the birthday girl for a kiss from Gigi!!

aliaslaceygreen
September 10th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Also, what is NCW??

Simply Quilting
September 10th, 2015, 12:24 PM
Also, what is NCW??

Necessary Clutch Wallet
Emmaline Bags - The Necessary Clutch Wallet PDF (http://emmalinebags.com/collections/sewing-patterns/products/the-necessary-clutch-wallet-pdf)

Dollyquilts
September 10th, 2015, 01:53 PM
Quote: I'm usually a night owl but went to Dunkin Donuts for a late night cuppa coffee. Asked for Decaf but must have gotten the real stuff instead. Been going gangbusters the last 6 hours. Even got my closet organized for fall & winter.

Judy, I want some of that stuff. Maybe I ought to head for Dunkin Donuts.

Dollyquilts
September 10th, 2015, 02:11 PM
My new Bernina will be ready for pickup on Monday, but it looks like I may be working and have to reschedule. I've been waiting three weeks and really want to get my hands on it. I'm scheduled for mastery classes on the September 18th and 25th. I hope I don't have to cancel that. I don't know when they will be offered again. Fortunately I've had a Bernina for quite a while so I don't think the basics will be different. I bought that machine used so I never took any classes. I'm sure I will learn a lot from the classes about what I've been missing.

I got up at 9:00 and it took me two hours to get my back pain under control, so I'm about to begin some productivity for the day. I'm still waiting to hear about the bone density study. I called the doctor's office and I'm waiting for a call back. I'm hoping for good news because if there's not enough solid bone to hang hardware on, the doctor says there's nothing else they can do for me.

Anybody have any recommendations for pain medication that allows you to function but alleviates pain? I know everyone is different. Tylenol with codeine makes me loopy and sleepy but doesn't do that much for the pain. I had a Butrans pain patch that did the same thing.

Have a great day everyone. Fall is a great time of year and I think a little bit of it has arrived in Houston, if you can call 80 cool. It is a relief from high 90s and 100s.

ceiliam
September 10th, 2015, 05:07 PM
Dolly quilts I use tramadol the other no codine allergic loratab make s me sick.
Not much sewing been on heavy duty antibotics for kidneys...wait for it makes me sick, and am starting to break out in hives..another med on the list, sigh so am taking it easy hopefully tomorrow, can sit and sew for more than 5 min.
My nephew came over and worked on car yesterday, also donned super hero quilt and caught live lizard and got him outside. Discovers lizard when I almost stepped on him with bare feet. YUCK HATE SNAKES LIZARD AND MICE. Don't care if lizz lives outside just not in my house