PDA

View Full Version : I think I am the only quilter who doesn't have one

TMP
September 7th, 2015, 11:45 PM
Seems like every forum picture I look at there is a fur baby in the picture. Sad I don't have one. So I thought it would be cool to see everyone's quilting buddy. If you post pictures of your buddy then maybe I can convince DH that I desperately need one.

Carrie J
September 7th, 2015, 11:53 PM

This is Maggie Mae, who is now 12, but the best lil gal ever. I love Boston's, they are true people pups, and love kids to pieces! She's always in the sewing room when I'm here. The cat Cissy stays on the back of the couch, she has sleeping down to a fine art, lol!

And YES you NEED one!

Sonic
September 7th, 2015, 11:54 PM
Join the club....no fur buddies here either.
Although I have a barn full of big fuzzy critters outside, there is no one to quilt with inside besides music. :D

BobW
September 8th, 2015, 12:06 AM
I moved into an apartment 5.5 years ago after getting my divorce. I really expected to live here a few months, then find a house to buy and move. This is the first time in my life I haven't had a pet. My landlords one unbreakable rule is no pets.

The apartment I live in is close to perfect. The rent is inexpensive, the utilities are low. I have great neighbors and I don't have to mow, shovel snow or repair anything. But I really think a cat would make my life better.

I am thinking about looking for a small house over in Fulton where I grew up. I haven't lived there since 1988 and it would be nice to move back and catch up with people. I don't know, I have thought about getting my doctor to write a statement that I needed a service animal, but who would believe a service cat? LOL

Carrie J
September 8th, 2015, 12:11 AM
Bob, actually, cats can be service animals. They are known to reduce stress, lower BP, and recently they've found their purr (megahurtz) has healing tendencies after surgeries, broken bones, etc. As a matter of fact, the local Nursing Home here in my town, have a standard Poodle and a huge Manx that visit the patients weekly. Give it a try, you never know! :D

The Healing Power of Cat Purrs [Infographic] | Daily Infographic (http://www.dailyinfographic.com/the-healing-power-of-cat-purrs-infographic)

Snip Snip
September 8th, 2015, 12:15 AM
TMP, I just recently got a dog, after being pet-less for about 8 years. You could do like I did, and just go adopt a pet, with the idea of getting it for your DH. Of course, that backfired for me. The dog is attached to me and follows me around like a.....well....a puppy. I thought it would help DH with his depression. Hasn't worked out that way.

LizTheScot
September 8th, 2015, 12:17 AM
Bob, actually, cats can be service animals. They are known to reduce stress, lower BP, and recently they've found their purr (megahurtz) has healing tendencies after surgeries, broken bones, etc. As a matter of fact, the local Nursing Home here in my town, have a standard Poodle and a huge Manx that visit the patients weekly. Give it a try, you never know! :D

The Healing Power of Cat Purrs [Infographic] | Daily Infographic (http://www.dailyinfographic.com/the-healing-power-of-cat-purrs-infographic)

Wow, I wonder if this means I can claim my catfood bills against medical insurance? Sigh, a girl can dream.

Kgrammiecaz
September 8th, 2015, 12:22 AM

I love having Zoey around. When I first finally got on my own without the kids, I thought no way I am taking care of anything. I do love animals, but wanted time for just me. Well, that lasted less than a month. My daughter took me to me one of her coworkers who's car had a surprise litter. Well, I fell in love with This little gray thing in all of thirty seconds. And overall she really is not a lot of work. But, she is an awesome friend. Never talks back, except if she is hungry. Loves to play fetch. It was a great decision to get her.

I say go for it. Dog, cat, hamster, does not matter. Get what you will love.

toggpine
September 8th, 2015, 01:41 AM
The cat isn't mine. I just liked the photo and used it for my avatar! Although it does kind of look like our newest kitten, Shadow.

All of our "pets" are outside animals. Two Anatolian livestock dogs, three barn cats, and twenty-ish dairy goats. We have the benefits of animals with out the fur all over the house and my fabric!

quiltsRfun
September 8th, 2015, 02:37 AM
This is my sewing buddy. On this day she sat on the stool so she could be right next to me.

brook
September 8th, 2015, 02:58 AM
My cat, Calli, loves my quilts especially when she can hide in them.

redcaboose1717
September 8th, 2015, 03:55 AM
Bob
I love having animals....right now I don't have any though, but I am considering getting another cat. My beloved male cat Buffy ( male ) who was an orange tabby lived to be 15 1/2 yrs old. Our Husky Tiana ( female ) lived to be 13 yrs old. I agree that animals are good for health reasons etc.
Like i said, I am considering getting another cat, simply due to the fact that cats can and do take care of their own basic needs for the most part....you just need to feed them and love them. You can leave them for awhile, go away for a couple of days and even for an extended amount of time if you have someone check on them although I have never done that ).
In the past when I have been admitted to the hospital, my DH has been here in the house or my sister has checked on the animals for us, so there's no problems.
So, if you are thinking of getting a service cat or dog, go for it ! I am sure you will enjoy it !

redcaboose1717
September 8th, 2015, 03:56 AM
Cali is gorgeous !
I don't have any photos of my cat "Buffy " on my computer right now...but will find one soon !

dwil23
September 8th, 2015, 05:25 AM

EXACTLY!! Cats can be service animals - you really should talk to your doctor about it.

shermur
September 8th, 2015, 06:00 AM

Sweet Dottie and she is usually under my sewing table......

Plentziana
September 8th, 2015, 08:05 AM
All my life I had cat, but also had dog, I have two beloved cats who share my home and accompany me, this is Zuri here when Im sewing wants to help117481

Granny Judy
September 8th, 2015, 08:32 AM
This is Smudge, a small black mixed cat who wandered in and stayed. She adopted me and is now 11 years old.
She loves to help me in the sewing area.. And spends her nights next to me in my bed.

evy
September 8th, 2015, 08:34 AM
My "girls". Two year old bundles of energy! Bess wrapped in the quilt and Lucy just being Lucy. Both of them keeping watch in the sewing room.

easyquilts
September 8th, 2015, 08:44 AM
Here are Finny and Soencer.... Finny is the little white one, and is mine... Spencer was my husband's dog... They are both Vhihuahuas, and my constant companions..... They have radar, that tells them when I sit down, and pile onto my lap.....to be covered with their blankie..... They sleep with me every night.... Don't know what I would have done without them over the past year aha a half....

Bubby
September 8th, 2015, 08:47 AM
117489Our two female Scottish terriers are Miss Dottie (7) & Sweet Olive (6). They are the joy of our lives...

Granny Judy
September 8th, 2015, 08:58 AM
I love Scotties!! Such characters and fun to be with. My next dog will have to be a Scottie..

buckeyequilter
September 8th, 2015, 09:12 AM
I love these dogs, they are the best, but the one place they are not allowed is my sewing room. I keep a jar of treats in there and they will come in the door to get a treat and then they are ready to leave again.

My dog, Buzz

Jim's dog, Trinka

Amy R
September 8th, 2015, 09:13 AM
Oh I love this post! Niko the dane was very attentive while his quilt was being made. He would sit/lay down and watch me and if I had to attend to the human child he would make sure I knew to get back to his quilt as soon as I could.
The other pic of my precious late Kit Kat. I miss that little guy.
We currently have 2 more kitties who love quilts as well.
I can't imagine my life without a fur baby. I hope we can help convince your DH to let you have something!
Bob, hope you can get a kitty if you stay in the apt. If you move you'll be on your way to a little more freedom in that dept.

klgls
September 8th, 2015, 09:14 AM
I have no pets either. Been thinking about getting a fur baby - but then I seem to travel a lot on the weekend and still work full-time. Maybe when I retire . . .

catmama635
September 8th, 2015, 09:19 AM
117494Peaches and Opie, my constant companions! I love them so much!

RiverMomm
September 8th, 2015, 09:42 AM
Two furry quilt helpers here. Kitties but no dogs. I would like to have a dog but just can't deal with walking a dog during the winters here and all the snow. One day I may totally adjust to the harsh winters but once the snow is over a foot . . . well, that's too much for me to think about walking a dog.

Cesar and Monty (aka Big Kitty and Little Kitty) Little Kitty is around 10 pounds-guess he really isn't all that little. Big Kitty is around 18 pounds.

Cesar is my quilt tester and watches me sew. He loves crawling under any quilt in the house to snooze the day away.

tnmtgrl
September 8th, 2015, 10:08 AM
Here's my quilting buddies.... Della - 2yrs, Declan - 14 weeks and Duke - 12 yrs..........

Sylvia H
September 8th, 2015, 10:31 AM
I have a fur kid, but he isn't allowed in the sewing room (not enough room!) When I come downstairs from a quilting session, this is usually what I find. I giggle every time I see this -

Here is a more normal view of my handsome dog -

I have had lots of cats in the past, and perhaps will have another one in the future. I totally get the not wanting to walk a dog in the snow! Ugh! And the last two winters have been particularly bad for that.

I think a service cat is a terrific idea!

bttyboopette
September 8th, 2015, 10:39 AM
and here's mine. Jack, the orange one, is blind. doesn't stop him from helping me sew. he would prefer to sit on my lap as I work!

AnnieF
September 8th, 2015, 11:58 AM
My pets are mostly good at testing the final product. (By the way - I have never understood why, when I delete a picture because I decide to use a different one, the first one still sticks around as a thumbnail. I can't figure out how to make it go away!)

Rocky: 117516

Roger: 117517

Roger with Cooper: 117518

Bouse
September 8th, 2015, 12:12 PM
I don't have a furry one either. I do however have two small children (2 and 6) who like to sit on my knee when I'm sewing. It scares the life out of me in case they put their fingers under the needle. Mostly I sew when the wee one is asleep.

lmanna
September 8th, 2015, 12:15 PM
As an adult I've rarely been without a pet. After our last dog, Makian, passed away hubby and I swore we were going to be pet free for a while. That lasted about a month - I was too lonely and depressed. So we adopted, Sophie. She's not "just" my quilting buddy but she's also my running buddy and sleeping buddy. She LOVES to run - she's run up to 18 miles with me a few times. I run in the mornings before work (usually when it's dark outside) and she is the perfect personal body guard.

Her face looks a bit distorted in this picture but I love how well it shows off her two different colored eyes and the cute black spot on the white part of her nose and her awesome multi-colored whiskers and.....

Eriepatch
September 8th, 2015, 12:48 PM
Gracie Jane is our 4th Miniature Schnauzer. We got our first 34 years ago because we discovered
they are basically dander free and our oldest daughter was highly allergic to pets.
After realizing they are the perfect breed for us we never could bring ourselves to get any other
breed. At one time I had 2 and they were show dogs that I showed myself. At least I've never
had to pay a groomer after the first one haha Good thing since they need a lot of grooming.
I once told my girls that had I known how wonderful dogs were I might never have had kids
because the dogs never grew up to be teenagers! Just kidding of course.
I've never met a dog I didn't like and it's wonderful to see pictures of everyone's fur babies!

Monique
September 8th, 2015, 12:52 PM
No animals here and I will never own one either.

Cool Breeze Quilter
September 8th, 2015, 12:58 PM
I love seeing pet photos from those of you who have pets. This is the first time ever we haven't had either a cat and or dog. Pets make a house a home and bring so much joy. As soon as we are able to get a dog(s) again we will adopt an older rescue dog(s). The dogs that many folks pass by at shelters. Or we may decide to foster. I love all breeds and mixed breeds. But I have a special place in my heart for German Shepherds.

Carrie J, Maggie Mae is a cutie pie!
Kgrammiecaz, Zoey looks like a real sweetie!
QuiltsRfun, Your dog is a cutie pie!

Cool Breeze Quilter
September 8th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Oh my, I just realized how long of a thread this is. I must go back and look at everyone's pets.

CraftHer
September 8th, 2015, 02:32 PM
Here's my Mocha after we dug up the flower bed this spring. He's a 2 year old chocolate lab. He's a big boy at about 105 lbs and 28" tall.

beccavan1
September 8th, 2015, 03:04 PM
I no longer have my fur baby. 3 1/2 years ago when my husband left (he didn't like the fact that I was sick and couldn't work), I had to give up my best friend. Indie is a beautiful, happy, lovable yellow lab. I had to move into an apartment, no pets allowed, and Indie went to a couple who own a farm with all the animals and she is spoiled beyond what I could do.
I miss her and cry about her being gone frequently.
Someday I will have another lab...

irishrn
September 8th, 2015, 03:13 PM

This is Casey our rescue from December 2014.
We lost our chocolate lab Shannon in august 2014 and she was always in my sewing room with me.
After she was gone I was sewing for the local rescue for fund raisers and when DH and I went to the farm to drop off all the dog beds Casey decided to claim my DH and wouldn't let anyone else come near him! So he came home with us! He has been good for DH to have around, and they curl up together for nap time and bedtime. Sometimes Casey sits contented in his lap while he has a conversation with him!!! But he isn't much of a sewing buddy. He doesn't like the sound of the serger and DSM!
But he sure is a delight, a snuggle buddy and very funny!!!

I say go for it!!!

Angelia
September 8th, 2015, 03:45 PM
Poly

and Dactyl

Both are admirable quilt inspectors.

Sylvia H
September 8th, 2015, 03:54 PM
I no longer have my fur baby. 3 1/2 years ago when my husband left (he didn't like the fact that I was sick and couldn't work), I had to give up my best friend. Indie is a beautiful, happy, lovable yellow lab. I had to move into an apartment, no pets allowed, and Indie went to a couple who own a farm with all the animals and she is spoiled beyond what I could do.
I miss her and cry about her being gone frequently.
Someday I will have another lab...

I am so sorry that Indie cannot still be with you. I hope it is a comfort to know that she is well cared for.

pcbatiks
September 8th, 2015, 04:13 PM
Here's our fur baby........Scout. In this she is curled up on the Christmas tree skirt......she gets under the tree every year as soon as we put the skirt underneath. :) She will usually lay in another chair close by or by my chair while I am sewing.....occasionally letting me know to pet her or take her for a walk. She really starts staring at me when it's time to eat. :D I have a design wall but if I was laying things out on the floor she would definitely walk on the project and lay down.

I highly recommend a fur baby.........they bring lots of extra laughs and love to your life.

Kat Smith
September 8th, 2015, 05:06 PM
Growing up we always had dogs and cats, then when my children were babies we had a dog for about a week and had to return it because son#2 had asthma so bad. Then as his started clearing up son #1's started presenting worse that #2. We took an ambulance ride, lights and siren one night after he spent the evening at a friends house who had a cat. Now at this time in my life I find that I have become very allergic to both. I only have 1 kidney so the Dr. has limited my antihistamine use so I enjoy other's pets from a great distance. LOVE the pictures, and if I could have one it would be something like the English Springer Spaniel that I had as a teen, who use to sit and cry (at the top of his lungs ) with me when I was heart broken.

K. McEuen
September 8th, 2015, 05:22 PM

Here's Bandit in all his perturbed glory.

lourixe
September 8th, 2015, 05:38 PM
My dogs are outdoor farm dogs (mixed German Shephards). I only indulged the eldest (12 y.o.) in my bedroom after her surgeries.
So actually, my only quilting helper is Bruni the overweighted cat. Her best trick is to lay on the portion of the quilt which is on the floor while I'm trying to maneuver it for FMQ, so that it is even heavier. She is extremely jealous of the attention I pay to my laptop and won't hesitate sitting on top of the keyboard so I have to take notice of her and pet her.
http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/members/lourixe-albums-home-pets-picture95865-bruni-her-new-cushion-window.jpg
On this pic she is sitting at her favorite window, behind my sewing machine. I have used several practice FMQ sandwiches to make her cushions like this one.

shirleyknot
September 8th, 2015, 05:42 PM
I have a 13 year old black cat missing her tail, and a 5 year old 55 pound hairy Chow keeping me company. I trip over one or the other frequently, since they like to be close. The rest of my 4 legged kids are too big for the house, so they have a barn. I do visit them frequently during the day.

Pandabear
September 8th, 2015, 06:07 PM
I've five fur babies. Too many to post pictures of.

I'll do the youngest of the bunch.... Our 2 year old lab... Tiberius aka The Tynado

Sometimes he likes to pretend he's a cat.

EnumclawGramma
September 8th, 2015, 07:59 PM
MollieMae, my King Charles Cavalier. She is my constant companion. The cat in my signature is Tsuki, my 20 year old Burmese baby I inherited from my Mama. She blind in one eye and deaf but still hanging in and expressing her frequent opinion.

shirleyknot
September 8th, 2015, 08:44 PM
I've always wanted a KCS, never could afford one. They are wonderful little kids.

CraftyJnet
September 8th, 2015, 08:53 PM
What a wonderful thread! I have four dogs that I love and they all sleep with us at night. But I just got a new computer and I don't have any photos of them on it. :(

shirleyknot
September 8th, 2015, 09:17 PM
Go take some. We'll wait :D

Dollyquilts
September 9th, 2015, 04:08 PM
Two furry quilt helpers here. Kitties but no dogs. I would like to have a dog but just can't deal with walking a dog during the winters here and all the snow. One day I may totally adjust to the harsh winters but once the snow is over a foot . . . well, that's too much for me to think about walking a dog.

Cesar and Monty (aka Big Kitty and Little Kitty) Little Kitty is around 10 pounds-guess he really isn't all that little. Big Kitty is around 18 pounds.

Cesar is my quilt tester and watches me sew. He loves crawling under any quilt in the house to snooze the day away.

They are beautiful. Are they litter mates? They sure look alike.

Dollyquilts
September 9th, 2015, 08:38 PM

Here's Bandit in all his perturbed glory.

That's adorable.

JCY
September 9th, 2015, 10:03 PM
No fur babies at our house. I'm caregiver for DH so have no time or energy for a pet. In all our 40 yrs. we've never had a pet. When the kids were still at home they had goldfish or guppies, but that's it. Love all the pics of others' pets.