PDA

View Full Version : Night Owl and Butterfly

kimsophia
September 7th, 2015, 01:21 AM
Hoot hoot! How are yooooou? I laboriously hand sewed an applique square down to find that the fabric below shows through, so I'll need to rip it off and put down something underneath...using the embroidery floss is tough. Quilting cotton has too tight a weave for my needle and thread to pass through easily. So I'm going to plug my sewing machine back in and try some decorative stitches...

Yesterday the monarch butterfly that we fostered from an egg hatched. That was an enjoyable little science experiment :) We set it free on one of my garden asters.

What's up where you are117397117398? @,@

CraftHer
September 7th, 2015, 01:30 AM
Hello night owls. We made and canned tomato basil soup today. The soup turned out so good! I'd been a good day.

Angelia
September 7th, 2015, 01:30 AM
I crashed today. Planned to take a short nap, and I woke four hours later! Must have needed it.

Beautiful butterfly. I've never raised one, but I saw several on my coneflowers today.

Hoot!

Hulamoon
September 7th, 2015, 01:41 AM
How pretty Kim. I need to plant some butterfly attracting flowers. My dd who is visiting came by and helped me bring most of my fabric downstairs. She dropped it over the railing to the floor in trash bags. I kept looking at them and saying 'oh, I could make this'. I need to get it on the shelves first. lol

jjkaiser
September 7th, 2015, 01:49 AM
Just got home from work and tomorrow I have the whole day off!! We are going to Chicago 2-1/2 hrs away for my GD 3rd birthday. It should be lots of fun. I made her a pretty and very colorful Happy Birthday banner with Jenny's super easy tut using layer cakes. I mailed it last month so DD could hang it early and leave it up all week, so I am kind of excited to see how it looks in her house. And they have a new puppy!!!

stationarymom
September 7th, 2015, 02:05 AM
Hello Night owls it ended up being a quiet day around here,I wanted to go out to look for a new couch but my body had different ideas so I never got out.Kim how do you go about raising a butterfly? we had a couple in the yard yesterday and the puppy saw them I was afraid he was going to try to catch them but he didn't.

kimsophia
September 7th, 2015, 02:16 AM
These are the web sites I used for monarch raising information: :)

Part One: How to Raise Monarch Butterflies at Home | texasbutterflyranch (http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2013/04/05/how-to-raise-monarch-butterflies-at-home/)

Monarch Watch : Rearing Monarchs : Overview (http://monarchwatch.org/rear/)

Lori63
September 7th, 2015, 02:46 AM
Hi night owls! I'm not usually up this late, but I was on a roll and didn't want to stop! Well, that and a huge Dr. Pepper I had in the evening. I don't usually drink caffeine so it really got me going! I machine embroidered 5 tea towels with my sister to donate to a fundraiser for her niece and nephew in law who are trying to adopt a baby from somewhere in Africa. Then I made a taggie blanket, cut out fabric books and finally started on my favors for the Forum Retreat. I'm not sure I'm happy with them, plus they are taking much longer than planned, so I'm not sure if I'll scrap that idea or not.

We have our DGD tonight so I'd better get to bed because she always wakes up early! Night all:)

Midge
September 7th, 2015, 03:29 AM
Hello fellow night owls. Sleep is eluding me tonight. I guess because I took a nap. Generally a bad idea, but I was tired at the start of my day because of poor sleep the night before. Went birding early this morning. Many many water birds and so many kinds of warblers. Its lovely at the nature preserve on the lake. Appropriate find this morning - a barred owl. Big guy, too. Only saw him because of his call "who cooks for you, who cooks for you''. To a picnic after, and the day was really hot, but it was still a nice time for everyone. Sewed a bit this evening and now I am wide awake after sleeping only 2 hours. Ugh. Have to work on this.

Have a lovely Labor Day everyone!

sewlucky
September 7th, 2015, 03:35 AM
Hello! My day flew past, though no sewing accomplished. We rearranged the living room. It is much cozier now. Hubby got our old dishwasher removed and ready for the new one when it comes in in a few weeks. That's exciting! I got a few loads of laundry done and the rugs upstairs vacuumed.

I've been searching for a pattern to knit up a throw afghan with some chunky yarn I bought last winter. I need an evening TV project. I think I've decided on a feather and fan pattern. It was my grandma's favourite to knit and is so pretty and classic. I'm going to be lazy I think and do three large color blocks rather than narrow stripes. Many less ends to weave in and big blocks of color are more modern. Right??? :)

Terri

Granny Judy
September 7th, 2015, 04:29 AM
I , too, did the "nap" thing and never woke up til much later than I wanted.. so my day was shot and nothing got done that was on my "list". This old age thing isn't too forgiving. I often get my days and nights mixed up.

Getting ready to quilt a larger one with the Quatrefoil pattern. 5 block across and 6 blocks down with a nice size border. Doing it on my home machine and not cutting the backing fabric since it has "rows".. I leave out the batting and only add a section at a time. Like 2 rows across and 5 blocks down. Once those are done I'll add the batting and another section. It will get pretty big and bulky towards the end, but much easier on my back when I do it this way.

I got lost over in the tutorial section looking at what I want to do next. May have to put it on hold as DD goes this next week for tests and consults for the surgery part of her cancer treatment. She is wanting me to make "gifts" for all those people at work who donated her their "hours" so she could be off for all the time she's needed. I am looking at a dozen or more table runners. With traditional blocks in the center. ?? Deadline is Christmas... I think I can--- I think I can..

I don't do this HOT weather too well anymore, so It works out for me to stay in doors and sew.. Looking at something tempting to eat.. I think there is some left over pizza... Sending "fuzzies" to all.

laura44
September 7th, 2015, 08:13 AM
Hello all, 4am in the morning here. Spent the weekend selling at our
local Art and Wine street fair. Sold a lot but spending your days outside
under a HOT tent really does you in. Add a husband who snores and a dog
who wants out every other hour. Wish I could go to sleep/stay asleep.
We are moving next week so I have carpet being installed tomorrow and
we have to move all the furniture out of 3 rooms. Did I mention I am tired?
Will try to go back to sleep. Everyone have a safe, fun Labor Day.

Claire Hallman
September 7th, 2015, 11:41 AM
Hoot hoot! How are yooooou? I laboriously hand sewed an applique square down to find that the fabric below shows through, so I'll need to rip it off and put down something underneath...using the embroidery floss is tough. Quilting cotton has too tight a weave for my needle and thread to pass through easily. So I'm going to plug my sewing machine back in and try some decorative stitches...

Yesterday the monarch butterfly that we fostered from an egg hatched. That was an enjoyable little science experiment :) We set it free on one of my garden asters.

What's up where you are117397117398? @,@
Could you trim out the background [the fabric below] from the back leaving just a seam allowance around where you did the applique?
Congrats on your successful butterfly rearing.

kimsophia
September 7th, 2015, 12:51 PM
Could you trim out the background [the fabric below] from the back leaving just a seam allowance around where you did the applique?
Congrats on your successful butterfly rearing.

I suppose I could do that...never thought of it! :) I'm also kicking around an idea of putting lace trim on it. Until then I am cross stitching.

We got an inch of rain last night and it's cooler so I moved my new potted mum to full sun.

fatquarters
September 7th, 2015, 01:23 PM
[QUOTE=sewlucky;791709

I've been searching for a pattern to knit up a throw afghan with some chunky yarn I bought last winter. I need an evening TV project. I think I've decided on a feather and fan pattern. It was my grandma's favourite to knit and is so pretty and classic. I'm going to be lazy I think and do three large color blocks rather than narrow stripes. Many less ends to weave in and big blocks of color are more modern. Right??? :)

Terri[/QUOTE]

Would love to see what your block looks like when done....I wouldn't mind a hand project for the winter. it sounds pretty

Monique
September 7th, 2015, 01:44 PM
I'm late, I'm late. Good afternoon. Have been busy this morning. Right now I am making wild plum jelly. I will let you know how it turns outs.

Kiddos left yesterday. Phil had to go to emergency. Turns out not a break but a bad sprain. I was out with friends last night for a while. Busy today, terribly hot and humid.

Have a great day everyone.

sewlucky
September 7th, 2015, 03:41 PM
Would love to see what your block looks like when done....I wouldn't mind a hand project for the winter. it sounds pretty

I will share :). Plan to get it started right away here.

Terri