PDA

View Full Version : Feeling helpless...

Preeti
September 5th, 2015, 11:46 AM
All the news related to the refugee situation in Europe is so heart-breaking. For those who have already lost their home, savings, friends and more, only to be further exploited and abused - it is humanity at its worst. I feel so sad and so helpless. There must be something I can do.

Altairss
September 5th, 2015, 11:59 AM
It seems that area is finally reaching a breaking point. I hope more of Europe will step up like the UK who said they would take more instead of countries that are just building barricades. I have not heard yet of reliable places to offer help but have heard there are a lot of phony ones cropping up.

Midge
September 5th, 2015, 01:21 PM
It is truly heartbreaking. Of course these parents want to get their children out of these areas. Who can blame them? They have to be totally desperate to risk the type of escapes they are making, knowing they could die.

alliek
September 5th, 2015, 01:25 PM
I know Preeti, I feel the same way. Helpless, I wish I could do something. I know the amounts of people that are pouring across the borders are large, but these are our fellow man. They are running from death and destruction or they wouldn't have left. These are teachers, clerks, store owners, bus drivers, taxi drivers, mothers, grandmothers and all those children. NO ONE would leave everything except for imminent danger to themselves and family. Instead of erecting walls, why not erect tents and organize the chaos, give these people a chance to rest and re evaluate their lives. Where they want to go. How can they get there. Winter will be upon Europe soon. I put myself in their place, and I cannot imagine their pain. God help us all.

ceiliam
September 5th, 2015, 01:26 PM
It is so sad Pretti hugs to you

Vonnie
September 5th, 2015, 01:39 PM
I keep seeing that picture on the news of the little boy who died. My hearts breaking for them.

jjkaiser
September 5th, 2015, 04:36 PM
These senseless wars and military invasions are creating refugees faster than anybody can take them in. And these human traffickers!! Scumbags and murderers, I don't know how they can live with themselves. I despise them so. The problems get worse every day. I am afraid many more people will lose their lives in the interim. It truly is a great tragedy.

quiltsRfun
September 5th, 2015, 05:33 PM
God help us all.

Yes, that's our only hope. These problems are too big for us to solve.

tesspug
September 5th, 2015, 08:11 PM
The International Red Cross is helping with this crisis. Donate to them. Every little bit helps.

Sandy Navas
September 5th, 2015, 08:23 PM
I've had this on my mind all day and have so many thoughts running through my head.
It is tragic - sad - frightful - all the horrendous things you can think of to call it.
The whole world is, at any time, experiencing conflicts and tragedy - and it would be wonderful, glorious if we could lift our heads, our hearts, our hands and solve all the problems. We can't do it alone.
I know that not everyone who reads posts on the forum believes in an Almighty God - there are other deities that serve the same purpose - regardless of the name assigned. There are those who firmly believe in evolution.
Millions of years ago the Earth was roamed by creatures that we only know about because of anthropologists, research, and some modern-day discoveries.
I know not what the plan is.
I know that things have gotten so far out of hand in so many ways and man alone is not going to solve all the issues.
The grand Earth is itching.
It saddens all of us, no matter where the tragedies occur - no matter the cause - no matter the outcome. All we can do is to put our hearts in the right place and, if we are inclined and so believe, pray. And, while we are at it, love one another - love one another.

kimsophia
September 6th, 2015, 05:20 AM
I heard World Vision is helping and I trust them. Primarily a Christian child sponsorship program, they take one-time donations as well.

Donate to Where Most Needed | World Vision | World Vision (http://donate.worldvision.org/ways-to-give/by-category/where-most-needed/where-most-needed?_ga=1.145588915.642072150.1441527233)

Carrie J
September 6th, 2015, 11:14 AM
The World, as we know it, is floundering on so many fronts. This is an aftermath of that. It's heartbreaking, and will take a Herculean effort from many countries to end this tragedy(ies) and the atrocities. I think media coverage and current technology has hardened the hearts of many, and in the time of "me", to a large degree many have lost their compassion, humanity, and sense of right and wrong as a result. It speaks deeply to the souls and hearts of those that hold fast to what are considered "old fashioned" standards, morals, principles and deep personal convictions. I only know I'm a very small cog in the mechanisms of this old World, but I can do my part. Small though it may be, If one drop of water is put in a bucket, along with other many drops, it soon is overflowing.

Quiltfreestyle
September 6th, 2015, 12:48 PM
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are... That's all anyone can do. But do something!!

dwil23
September 6th, 2015, 06:23 PM
The World, as we know it, is floundering on so many fronts. This is an aftermath of that. It's heartbreaking, and will take a Herculean effort from many countries to end this tragedy(ies) and the atrocities. I think media coverage and current technology has hardened the hearts of many, and in the time of "me", to a large degree many have lost their compassion, humanity, and sense of right and wrong as a result. It speaks deeply to the souls and hearts of those that hold fast to what are considered "old fashioned" standards, morals, principles and deep personal convictions. I only know I'm a very small cog in the mechanisms of this old World, but I can do my part. Small though it may be, If one drop of water is put in a bucket, along with other many drops, it soon is overflowing.

Amen, Carrie, Amen.

We are going to see more and more of this kind of thing in the coming months and years, not only in the world but in our own country. We have turned our back on what made us great and we will pay the price. None of us alone can make a huge difference, but together, we can.

To quote alliek "God help us all"

marytfnp
September 6th, 2015, 10:12 PM
I feel the same Preeti, It is such an awful situation. And I feel the need to act. I am blessed however that part of my job is to work with refugees with special needs. Through this work I have learned of many organizations that are doing amazing work. One of which is World Vision (previously mentioned), also Lutheran Social Services, catholic Charities, Refugee one, . The list goes on. But it takes more, The world needs to stop this--the UN, EU, USA,... All of us , Our governments need to stop terror, torture, genocide.
As for us as individuals we can sponsor families /support our local Refugee resettlement agencies, write our Senators and congressmen, support our military, etc... pray.