PDA

View Full Version : I so hope it is appropriate to share this link here

bobw103
October 30th, 2011, 01:32 PM
And if not I apologize. I found this Quilt as you go link and DVD. Wonder if any of you know anything about this or Penny H's 'stuff'? Would this be worthwhile for a beginner?
Thoughts
Thanks
http://www.how-to-quilt.com/quiltasyougo.php

quiltingtrish
October 30th, 2011, 01:54 PM
In my opinion - I would check out tutorials on the net on how to do the quilt as you go method. Also, there are also so many patterns out there that are free that I wouldn't spend the $127. plus shipping and handling for all that. But like I said, that's just my opinion.

Hugs,

rebeccas-sewing
October 30th, 2011, 02:07 PM
BOBBI,

i got pictures of my Christmas Dresden Plate wall hanging uploaded to my albums. You can go take a look there. This should help you out with those written directions I sent you. I still need to learn how to send photos through email.

rebeccas-sewing
October 30th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I tried this technique just recently on a tablerunner I made. It worked out just fine, but it took me a while since I wasn't following any instructions. I'm considering trying it for a queen-size quilt. I machine embroider a lot of my quilt tops with quilting embroidery designs. I'm thinking if I do the quilt in 3 or 4 long sections and then piece them together it will make the quilting a lot easier. I think I would investigate u-tube for tutorials before spending money on Penny Halgren's DVD. I guess I should go back to that link and see what she's charging. If it's not a large sum it might be worth it.

rebeccas-sewing
October 30th, 2011, 02:19 PM
I checked the price!!! I think I'll work on figuring it out myself.

rebeccas-sewing
October 30th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Bobby,

Here is the general idea for sew as you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pL36s08wg4&feature=related

I think I would probably hand stitch the sections on the back. I'm always skeptical of trying to sew by machine and had it look good on front and back. I figure the time I save not fighting with a huge quilt will certainly be more than the time it takes to hand stitch a couple of places on the back.

Sandy Navas
October 30th, 2011, 04:22 PM
I sure wouldn't pay that for a DVD when you could find the same information free on you-tube - and when you run into problems you can always ask here. I've done a couple quilt as you go and they work just great - and I never had instructions at all - I just winged it. I was totally pleased with the way it turned out.

Bubby
October 30th, 2011, 04:51 PM
It sure took me a long time scrolling to get to the bottom line. I would recommend you watch the free tutorials from MSQC and if you want more indepth instruction invest in Jenny's Sympoz I & II classes on Craftsy.com, which are a terrific bargain. Barb

bobw103
October 30th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Oh thanks for the info everyone, I will not purchase it, it is a lot of money which is why I have held off.
Rebecca, I looked at the tute-it looks great just wish I could hear it:) Some are not able to send photos via email and some are not able to figure out the sound on ones laptop HA I am saving it and will have my son show me how to increase the volume. I also looked at your wall hanging and I love it. Thank you so much.

rebeccas-sewing
October 30th, 2011, 07:50 PM
BOBBI,

Glad you like the quilt. I finished sewing down one plate. Three more to go. On my laptop, right below the u-tube screen on the left-hand side there's a little symbol that looks like a speaker. It's for muting the sound. If you see that on your computer click on it and see if you get sound. The other day I wasn't able to get any sound so I asked my husband and he brought the mute button to my attention. Sure enough when I clicked on it I got sound. Somehow I must've hit the mute without realizing it.

nanasrcool
October 30th, 2011, 08:09 PM
I have a word doc formatted tutorial I copied from another quilting forum that is so much better than penny's and it is FREE! It tells you 2 different ways to do it and both are done by machine sewing. I will try to attach it if possible. This is the method I use. It works for ALL sized blocks or parts of a quilt. In fact I am making one now. It is one that I use jelly roll strips to frame a charm and I am altering the pattern to do as a QAYG method. I am just putting 4 of the charm blocks together to make them a larger block and joining those with the sashing. Again, it is FREE!! I actually ordered a dvd set from Penny. It was 89.00 and I could pay it out in 3 payments. I got it after paying the first 39.00 payment. NONE of them would work! Only the pdf pages would and since I am one of those that really learns better watching someone do it like watching Jenny's tutes it was NOT worth the money to me. I return it to her at MY OWN expense and she did refund the money to me about 3 weeks later after I sent her an email telling her to send it immediately. I had confirmation she received her DVD's back. While she may be a good teacher her prices are WAY too high! IMO.

Well I dont see a way to post the word doc so I will get you the link to the tutorial page and repost that. It really is worth it.

Patrice
October 30th, 2011, 08:54 PM
there is enough free stuff on here that you shouldn't have to do that. lots of how to's on youtube