PDA

View Full Version : A quilt is a beautiful gift!

kensington
August 30th, 2015, 01:57 PM
Sew... My nephew has set his wedding date... and I was thinking, I have made numerous quilts just because I love the fabrics or the pattern. I have a few stacked up. I want to gift him one.

I don't want to go find out what colors or patterns he and the bride want to match their home or anything like that. I just want to pull one from my stack that is lovely and gift it.

Does anyone do that? Or does everyone make them specific to the couple?

stitching woman
August 30th, 2015, 02:11 PM
Yes, I have done that especially when I have received the invitation and it is less than a month until the wedding. All of your quilts are beautiful and I am sure they will be happy to receive one.

kensington
August 30th, 2015, 02:16 PM
Yes, I have done that especially when I have received the invitation and it is less than a month until the wedding. All of your quilts are beautiful and I am sure they will be happy to receive one.

Thanks Bernice!

irishrn
August 30th, 2015, 02:30 PM
Why not?? You made the top for a reason, and now you have someone to give it too. Makes sense to me!!

Cathy F
August 30th, 2015, 02:51 PM
Gloria, yes I've done that. Any quilt made with love is a perfect gift, doesn't need to be color specific to their home.

K. McEuen
August 30th, 2015, 03:00 PM
I never check to see what their decor is. Both nephews that have gotten married and have gotten quilts have been thrilled (or at least their new wives have been) because they were sure gushing over the quilts in the thank you notes.

Lori63
August 30th, 2015, 03:46 PM
I think all your quilts are beautiful, I would just pick one, I'm sure they will love it!

songbird857
August 30th, 2015, 05:41 PM
... I never have any quilts ready beforehand ;)....

Anyway - I'm sure your nephew and his bride will love whichever quilt you decide to give!

dwil23
August 30th, 2015, 07:19 PM
While it perfectly acceptable (and thoughtful) to make a quilt specifically for a couples wedding colors or decor, I don't think it is necessary to do so. How many people have the same decor ten years down the road? Or decorate their house in their wedding color theme? So, I think a quilt you have made because you loved the fabrics, etc, is perfect too, and will be loved for years to come. Be sure to show us which one you decide on!

Oh, and for the record, having a stack of quilts ready to give will probably never be one of my "problems"!:D

kensington
August 30th, 2015, 07:23 PM
I was talking about their Bedroom colors... not Wedding colors. LOL.

I change mine every few years... I guess others might. Yet, my sil has had the same color scheme in her house through out since I met her 30+ years ago.

dwil23
August 30th, 2015, 07:26 PM
I was talking about their Bedroom colors... not Wedding colors. LOL.

I change mine every few years... I guess others might. Yet, my sil has had the same color scheme in her house through out since I met her 30+ years ago.

Yes, I know, but I have seen some people make quilts to match the wedding colors, so I was speaking in general. Like you say, some stay with the same colors ( I tend to) but others are constantly changing. My sister has been known to repaint 3 or 4 times in a YEAR! and then not again for a number of years.

KarenC
August 30th, 2015, 07:29 PM
I think it is a great idea. I don'the think it is necessary to match favorite colors. A beautiful quilt is that, beautiful and made with love by a beautiful person.

Claire Hallman
August 30th, 2015, 07:48 PM
One solution to the color question is to gift a Christmas quilt assuming they celebrate Christmas. Another solution would be a picnic quilt.
It love the idea of having quilts on hand for gift giving occasions.

Lightwriter
August 30th, 2015, 11:01 PM
Also quilts are not always used in a bedroom. They might reside on a couch to cuddle under or even be displayed somewhere as part of the decor. My own quilts move around quite a bit. Just pick something beautiful, as I am sure all your quits are, and watch them smile!

Grandma Nan
August 30th, 2015, 11:22 PM

I completely agree with Bernice.

Deegles
August 30th, 2015, 11:25 PM
I did that once. And the couple wanted to know where I bought it because they wanted to exchange it for a different color. I never even got a thank you card. They were upset because they couldn't return it for money I guess.

sewlucky
August 30th, 2015, 11:30 PM
I have gifted two quilts for weddings and both were made intending for them to be couch quilts, in fact they were not big enoUgh for more than a twin bed. Choose one you have made already, it will more than likely be well loved and appreciated! :)

Do you make all of your quilts bed size?

Terri

sewlucky
August 30th, 2015, 11:31 PM
:-O HOW RUDE!!!!

I did that once. And the couple wanted to know where I bought it because they wanted to exchange it for a different color. I never even got a thank you card. They were upset because they couldn't return it for money I guess.

bhaggerty
August 31st, 2015, 03:14 AM
Sew... My nephew has set his wedding date... and I was thinking, I have made numerous quilts just because I love the fabrics or the pattern. I have a few stacked up. I want to gift him one.

I don't want to go find out what colors or patterns he and the bride want to match their home or anything like that. I just want to pull one from my stack that is lovely and gift it.

Does anyone do that? Or does everyone make them specific to the couple?

Yes, I do that quite often! It always seems to be the perfect one too!

rebeccas-sewing
August 31st, 2015, 04:49 AM
Do whatever you would like to do. You don't have to try and match their colors if you don't want to. If you have any concern try to pick one of your quilts that might have more neutral colors that would go with anything. If you don't have anything like that in your stash just give them the one you would like them to have.

This is something we should all think about when we're making quilts to give in the future for wedding presents.. You might consider making a few that are more neutral so you don't have to wonder about this in the future. I had a request from the mother of the bride to go neutral so it would go with any color scheme they might choose. I've made two like that so far but they weren't pulled from my stash of quilts. They were made specifically by request.

redcaboose1717
August 31st, 2015, 05:06 AM
While I have made other items ( never gifted a quilt for a wedding present yet ) My DH Terry's grandma gave him a quilt when we were married. He didn't choose the colors I am sure of that....the backing was a dark ( hot pink ) and it was a tulip quilt.....I adore this quilt.
I have known other "quilters" that make them specific to the couples that they gifted the quilt to. Do you know what size bed they are going to have ? Nowadays I think people do consider that. When my DH Terry & I married in 1974, I don't think his grandma ever thought that the quilt she made should have been bigger than a double- bed sized quilt.

Liberty
August 31st, 2015, 12:05 PM
I've never gifted a quilt for a wedding, but I once made the mistake of asking my in-laws what colors they wanted. They chose brown and turquois (which looks great in FILs bedroom) but I didn't enjoy sewing with those colors at all.

Quilt with fabric you like and it's a lot more fun!

snippet
August 31st, 2015, 02:19 PM
I think that's a great idea kensington. Your quilts are beautiful. A quilt is meant for a lifetime, so if it doesn't match their decor this season, it will another time for sure. Pick one that speaks to you to give and let them have it.

Altairss
August 31st, 2015, 04:49 PM
I say think about them a little and then look at your quilts and then gift the one that grabs your attention. I was told once that I may someday have quilts that I made with no one in mind that will find its perfect home when its time. They were made with love and enjoyment and that comes thru. Gift what feels right to you.

tesspug
August 31st, 2015, 10:27 PM
If my aunt gave me a beautiful quilt, I would redecorate around that quilt.

New York Sue
August 31st, 2015, 11:43 PM
I've been on the 'hurting end' a few times, and that SUCKS. No acknowledgement of receipt, no Thank You, until chased.
We are a rare breed.... And those that really appreciate, RARER.

Kensy, if you have a quilt stash, I would pick from what you best saw fitting. No need to have your heart broken, chica!
If they GUSH all over it, then custom make another one to their specs!

I was at a Zac Brown Band Concert a week ago. The MOST beautiful appliqued quilt, on the ground. (Maybe that was her or his intent, a concert blanket, that is...), but the gifted left it behind....

HELL, no!

kensington
August 31st, 2015, 11:55 PM
Thanks everyone! Such good advice!

Sue... I don't have one yet to use on the ground, even though I know people do. I'm working on it... mentally. Someday.