PDA

View Full Version : Rates for quilting?

maggiegarcia06
February 8th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Hello all, this is Maggie again with another question about the quilt that i'm going to be finishing for my grandmother. I have some old "granny quilt" quilt top pieces that my grandma wants me to finish up into a couple of quilts some bigger than others (really to bed size and then there will likely be 8 smaller ones for each of the grandkids) i'm going to need to redo/reinforce the piecing on them since it was originally started by my great great grandmother and therefore very old and i don't trust the thread its put together with. its all going to be pretty simple strait stitching because it is just squares sewn together. Then i'm also going to quilt it with my machine but just stitch in the ditch to keep the look of it. I was wondering what type of a rate I should charge (she was going to pay a professional anyways so she wants to pay me the same that she would have anyways) to do this. I have NO CLUE what any of this would be ... I'm in the Chicago area if that makes any difference ... again I have not idea at all ... thanks for any help or suggestions! I am attaching a picture of just one of the tops below.

pokeyrella22
February 9th, 2010, 01:08 PM
very cute quilt !!

quiltingtrish
February 9th, 2010, 06:46 PM
I see you got alot of people that have read your question, but only one reply.
Some people charge by the hour, plus they measure the amount of thread they use, plus the difficulty of the quilting pattern they decide to put on the quilt. I wouldn't have any idea on what to charge your grandmother, maybe she has an idea of what she'd like to pay.
I've taken a few tops to a shop to use their longarm (they rent it out by the hour) and I've paid around $90. to do a king size quilt and that includes the batting (they insist you use theirs), and the threads. I also have a queen size one in at a shop where they will do the quilting on it and that will cost around $90. also.
Maybe this will be a small guide to help direct you - I don't know if this helps or not.
Good luck!

Hugs,
TJ