PDA

View Full Version : Dupuytren's Contracture

Lynnep
August 17th, 2015, 12:57 AM
Not sure if this is the appropriate forum - but does anyone else have this and how does sewing/quilting affect it? My hands cramp easily when hand sewing or grasping a quilt when quilting. Would the compression gloves help? I am researching having radiation therapy done this fall as I have heard of good results. Better than surgery, which I have had!

Hulamoon
August 17th, 2015, 01:06 AM
I have it and had surgery on my right hand. Now I have it on my left. It's almost folded down to my palm. Are you Norwegian?.

Lynnep
August 17th, 2015, 01:19 AM
I am Finnish - but I seem to have gotten this from my Dad - my Mom was Finnish and didn't have it! I have 7 siblings and 6 of them have it also. I had surgery on rt hand about 14 years ago and it came back. Did not want to go the surgery route again, so travelled to Florida for NA procedure, which really helped and had NO side effects. Now I have it in left hand and it is developing more quickly and am having pain, which I never had in right hand.
Do you have in your feet also?
There's a group on Facebook called DART - lots of treatment info.

Hulamoon
August 17th, 2015, 01:49 AM
I think my grandmother had it but it got diagnosed as arthritis. My hands look just like hers did. My left is worse too and faster. I broke my wrist on that side and I couldn't have two surgeries at the same time. lol My feet seem okay. Thanks for the facebook info. I'm going to check it out.

TMP
August 17th, 2015, 02:29 AM
This is interesting . I have cramps in my hands and my feet and my toes at times will go in odd directions , but I was diagnosed as having psoriatic arthritis. My mom's fingers would draw to the side. So ya'll have me wondering.

Hulamoon
August 17th, 2015, 02:41 AM
This is interesting . I have cramps in my hands and my feet and my toes at times will go in odd directions , but I was diagnosed as having psoriatic arthritis. My mom's fingers would draw to the side. So ya'll have me wondering.

Don't get grossed out, but does it look anything like this?
https://www.google.com/search?q=Dupuytren's+Contracture&biw=1064&bih=508&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMIpay0jLOvxwIVA6OICh2pWwTt

Scandinavian decents are prone to it.

rebeccas-sewing
August 17th, 2015, 04:13 AM
I have developed it in my right hand but right now it's mild. It doesn't hurt but I can't quite stretch all my fingers back as far as I can with my left. I'm assuming it will get worse with time. I had never heard of it until I asked my doctor what was going on with those tendons. It's a bit worrisome since I'm afraid it will eventually keep me from sewing/crafting. There is no Scandinavian blood in my background as far as I know. I am American - mostly of English decent (3/4) and German (1/4).

I've been having some trouble with cramping in my feet and lower legs at night but I understand that is somewhat common as one ages. I don't know if it's related. I have noticed since I've started exercising more that the cramping has lessened.

What I'm really trying to concentrate on is getting more exercise and getting down to what is considered a healthy weight for my height. I don't have very much to lose, fortunately, but it's slow-going. As I'm getting older my cholesterol has started to climb. I'm hoping losing weight will help that. I know I'm not going to live forever but I'm hoping the time I have left will go more smoothly if I take care of my health. Weight loss, eating right, exercising, avoiding stress and good genes are my only defense so I'm trying to focus on those things.

I was on WeightWatchers online for quite a while. I managed to lose about ten pounds on it, but it got to the point where it just wasn't working for me anymore. No desire to go to meetings and not convenient considering my living circumstances at the moment. Through my daugther I discovered "My Fitness Pal" online. It's free! It's based on calories rather than points. I think it will work better for me. At least that's what I'm hoping. I've been on it a couple of days.

This Dupuytren's Contracture issue really surprised me when it happened. No one in my family has had this that I know of. Of course, someone in my ancestral background might have had it. Who knows?

Bubby
August 17th, 2015, 06:34 AM
I think my Mom had this condition and I recently had worsening in my right hand of what I though was simple arthritis....now I wonder. I'm still in pain 7 days after finishing some hand sewing.

rebeccas-sewing
August 17th, 2015, 07:37 AM
What I noticed is the tendons in my hand are raised up and when I run the fingers of my other hand across them they are hard and bumpy. The fingers that are attached to those tendons have not begun to turn in at this point.

TMP
August 17th, 2015, 09:49 AM
Oh I'm not grossed out and thanks for the link. My hands are not near as severe as the pictures and rather than fold back my fingers fold more to the side. It comes and goes in both my hands and feet . Was this something that gradually happen to you?
I have been doing this for about 5 years now and yes it seems to be happening when I have hand sewn for hours. One doctor told me I needed to eat a banana.. didn't help , another doctor told me it was part of psoriatic arthritis. Again thanks for the link.

JCY
August 17th, 2015, 10:03 AM
Interesting chat. I'm a nurse & haven't heard of this diagnosis. I've known of people who had to have surgery for a contracted finger, but I never knew what it was called. I'm sorry to learn of those who are suffering from this problem. It must be very disappointing to have it affect your sewing & other activities of daily living. I don't have any answers, but my sympathies.

Lynnep
August 17th, 2015, 04:22 PM
Having had both surgery and NA (Needle Aponeurotomy (sp?)), I would definitely recommend the NA. My fingers were becoming more and more contracted and the NA procedure helped sooooo much more than e surgery -- also a LOT less invasive, no after pain, no drugs, no incisions, no scar tissue!! If interested in more information, check out the Dupuytren's Foundation website. Dr Eaton did my NA procedure. While there are not too many physicians who do this (surgeons only seem to want to CUT!!!!), I really believe in it!
As I said previously, I am now researching having radiation therapy (RT) - for both hands and feet. Facebook has page - Dupuytren's Advocates for Radiation Therapy (DART). Procedure sounds very promising - but again, not too many physicians (radiology oncologists) who perform the procedures.
I am going to fight this disease..... CANNOT lose the ability to sew, knit, crochet, play the piano, etc!!! If it is not treated, surgical options become more involved and amputation is sometimes called for. If you think you have it (the Google pics posted earlier) are very good - do seek treatment, as it can be treated! Not cured, unfortunately, but treated. Without surgery in many cases!!!

Midge
August 17th, 2015, 04:45 PM
Having had both surgery and NA (Needle Aponeurotomy (sp?)), I would definitely recommend the NA. My fingers were becoming more and more contracted and the NA procedure helped sooooo much more than e surgery -- also a LOT less invasive, no after pain, no drugs, no incisions, no scar tissue!! If interested in more information, check out the Dupuytren's Foundation website. Dr Eaton did my NA procedure. While there are not too many physicians who do this (surgeons only seem to want to CUT!!!!), I really believe in it!
As I said previously, I am now researching having radiation therapy (RT) - for both hands and feet. Facebook has page - Dupuytren's Advocates for Radiation Therapy (DART). Procedure sounds very promising - but again, not too many physicians (radiology oncologists) who perform the procedures.
I am going to fight this disease..... CANNOT lose the ability to sew, knit, crochet, play the piano, etc!!! If it is not treated, surgical options become more involved and amputation is sometimes called for. If you think you have it (the Google pics posted earlier) are very good - do seek treatment, as it can be treated! Not cured, unfortunately, but treated. Without surgery in many cases!!!

As a nurse I've heard of many good outcomes for the needle aponeurotomy procedure. But nothing is foolproof. Surgery can help, but there is a high recurrence rate. The needle procedure should be paid for by insurance, but I think in some states you must have this done in an outpatient surgery facility in order to get it approved, and it will cost you a fortune for that. There is also an FDA approved drug treatment that has very good results especially for the part of the contracture closest to the heart, and the needle treatment may work better for nodules towards the fingers.

At any rate, a board certified hand surgeon is a must, and do not wait to get help! Some treatments work better earlier in the development of a contracture. In the past, when I first started in nursing the doctors made you wait until the finger was almost closed in. No more. Definitely do your research before getting treatment. A side note, years ago this condition used to be called trigger finger.

SuzyQue
August 17th, 2015, 08:37 PM
My mom had this and she wore compression gloves. At first, she only wore the gloves at night to sleep in. Later, she wore them when she had pain while sewing and quilting. She also had diabetes and neuropathy in hands and feet. Not sure if the gloves were more for that, but I doubt it. Her neuropathy didn't cause her pain, but rather numbness and no feeling.