PDA

View Full Version : No Laptop.....Boo..Too!!!!!

redcaboose1717
August 16th, 2015, 01:33 AM
I am so bummed right now!!!!
DH John put Windows 10 on my Laptop...,.....GRRR!!!
I immediately asked him to remove it,& well then it ended up in the shop( John has a friend that's a whiz with computers, so the laptop & the desktop went to the PC hospital for a few days......so while I have a very small notebook ( I purchased from Verizon Wireless a few months ago) I am using now.but it isn't easy to use ( I am typing with one finger.... (Ugh)
So while I am up being a night owl ( as usual) I will not be online much until Monday /Tuesday...:-(

I did get to watch the Hastag Quilt Tutorial.....that was really nice I thought ( thanks Jenny!! )

Well I hope to be back online soon..... I miss Everybody!!!

Smiles

Jacqueline/Sugar

snippet
August 16th, 2015, 01:59 AM
I'm having laptop woes too. My laptop is really old, I bought it in 2007!

First my bluetooth quit working. I kept thinking I'll get a new card, but never did. So I had to learn how to use the touchpad.

Then the left click on the touchpad became tricky,but I learned where it did and didn't click.

Then the f key won't work at all. I cleaned it to no avail. I guess I use the f-word too much? LOL

Now the darned d and the space bar are being ornery.

So I use my tablet most of the time, but it isn't as easy and I can't upload photos. I finally gave up. I just bought a new laptop - a Dell on sale at Woot. It came in, but I need to back up all my files.

redcaboose1717
August 16th, 2015, 02:09 AM
Well I think a new laptop is probably something that's probably on the horizon here too. My laptop was used when I purchased it.., I am sure its at least 10 yes old as well.
The little notebook I purchased a few months ago works fine , its just not something u would want to use everyday I guess......great maybe to use to store online books in or taking it to the hospital when I go.
I really can't wait to see what the repairman has to say.....maybe the old laptop is good for another year or so, I can only hope I guess!!!!!

Carlie Wolf
August 16th, 2015, 08:33 AM
Snippet I recently had problems with my laptop too and a new one just wasn't in the picture. Yes trouble with certain keys not wanting to type and it wasn't that they were just sticking. I think the keyboard just gave out. At any rate, my BIL suggested rather than getting a whole new computer I just purchase a Logtech keyboard and plug that into my laptop and use that for typing. Well by golly! It worked and it only cost me around $15. Also I didn't realize that they now have those need port extensions (I think that's what they are called) so I got one of them because the laptop only has the two adaptor ports and the mouse uses one. That was cheap too and I can now keep a flashdrive, mouse, printer and keyboard all plugged in at the same time. Cheap fix!

I did bring my laptop to walmart when I checked out the keyboard and plugged it in there to make sure that it would fix the problem.

Claire Hallman
August 16th, 2015, 11:57 AM
I have one in my future, I hope not my immediate future. I have a 2008 laptop, no desktop and a Chrome notebook. I love the notebook but the memory is limited so my laptop is full of pictures and embroidery designs . I also have to use it if I want to print anything as my Chrome and my printer are not compatible.
There are so many things on my wishlist, I would love the laptop to last a while longer but I don't want to lose my saved things either. I have been waiting for something to replace windows 8 so here it is. I think I will wait a while longer, I need a bigger TV in my workshop, too.:D

ceiliam
August 16th, 2015, 12:38 PM
I hardly ever use lap top anymore , I love notebook use it almost exclusively . I am sorry you are having issues Hope they get it figured out soon.

Midge
August 16th, 2015, 01:29 PM
Snippet I recently had problems with my laptop too and a new one just wasn't in the picture. Yes trouble with certain keys not wanting to type and it wasn't that they were just sticking. I think the keyboard just gave out. At any rate, my BIL suggested rather than getting a whole new computer I just purchase a Logtech keyboard and plug that into my laptop and use that for typing. Well by golly! It worked and it only cost me around $15. Also I didn't realize that they now have those need port extensions (I think that's what they are called) so I got one of them because the laptop only has the two adaptor ports and the mouse uses one. That was cheap too and I can now keep a flashdrive, mouse, printer and keyboard all plugged in at the same time. Cheap fix!

I did bring my laptop to walmart when I checked out the keyboard and plugged it in there to make sure that it would fix the problem.

Exactly what I was going to suggest to anyone with keyboard woes and budget with no room currently for a new machine. Cheap solution, works great and you have more USB ports than older laptops have.

lauratreky@comcast.net
August 16th, 2015, 02:05 PM
I am so bummed right now!!!!
DH John put Windows 10 on my Laptop...,.....GRRR!!!
I immediately asked him to remove it,& well then it ended up in the shop( John has a friend that's a whiz with computers, so the laptop & the desktop went to the PC hospital for a few days......so while I have a very small notebook ( I purchased from Verizon Wireless a few months ago) I am using now.but it isn't easy to use ( I am typing with one finger.... (Ugh)
So while I am up being a night owl ( as usual) I will not be online much until Monday /Tuesday...:-(

I did get to watch the Hastag Quilt Tutorial.....that was really nice I thought ( thanks Jenny!! )

Well I hope to be back online soon..... I miss Everybody!!!

Smiles

Jacqueline/Sugar

Was it the Windows 10 that caused the problem? I was thinking of upgrading, but don't want to if it is going to mess up my computer. It seems like every time Windows upgrades there are problems. :icon_mooooh:

grandma nurse
August 16th, 2015, 05:03 PM
I was reading yesterday on some site that there has been a bunch of problems with computer crashings after downloading Windows 10. They are advising to wait for awhile for them to get some 'bugs' out of the program. In fact there is one site that is a virus that is saying it is the new Windows 10. I don't know if that is true but that statement is out there.

snippet
August 17th, 2015, 05:55 AM
Well, my stuff has been backed up to my external drive so I opened up the new laptop. It's so big! Old laptop had a 12" screen and this one is 17" It will be nice to use when I'm doing stuff.

But. I can see I'll have a HUGE learning curve with this Windows 8 - I had Vista on the old laptop. I thought about loading Windows 10 but I usually wait a while before loading new operating systems. I like to let the OS settle in before I install.

So I'm off to install all my apps.

redcaboose1717
August 17th, 2015, 06:35 AM
BTW.....my laptop is back ....good for another few months I guess.
I will say I don't use the keyboard cuz DH has me hooked on these keyboards called a Kinesis Keyboard.... Costly I must admit ( along with a learning curve too) but well worth the expense )

So maybe tomorrow the laptop will be up and ready to go ( DH John is installing the programs as I type this......& here it is 5:30 AM!!!!! .....thank goodness!!! And I was the one yes ago that didn't WANT a PC in the house!!!!....Whatever was I thinking?....Silly me !!!

Again please excuse any typos here as I am still using the small notebook.

JCY
August 17th, 2015, 10:19 AM
We have a great senior network of computer coaches & classes in our town. One can go to computer lab & get help from the knowledgeable people. I was told that Windows 10 was not that great & people are having problems with it. I think it's a free upgrade now, but later on people will have to buy it. Probably in the future, a new computer will already have it on it. I have Windows 7. I think there will be support for it only till 2020. I'm not getting 10 until I have no other choice. Sorry you're having problems with it.