PDA

View Full Version : Perseid meteor shower

DeniseSm
August 13th, 2015, 01:40 PM
Good viewing of the Perseid meteor shower last night. I saw 13 meteors in 33 minutes. One was quite dramatic with a long yellow tail.

Anybody else have a good viewing?

Carlie Wolf
August 13th, 2015, 02:42 PM
I forgot it was time for them. Love watching though. Can I give it a try tonight?

DeniseSm
August 13th, 2015, 02:51 PM
Yes viewing conditions should still be good tonight in the northern hemisphere

Perseid Meteor Shower in 2015 (http://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/meteor-shower/perseid.html)

Sandy Navas
August 13th, 2015, 03:21 PM
Al and I were awake but I couldn't get him to go outside for the viewing and so I rolled over and went back to slumberland. I think we probably have to many lights too close by for a good viewing though.

irishrn
August 13th, 2015, 04:53 PM
Too cloudy here last night. May try tonight

quiltsRfun
August 13th, 2015, 05:08 PM
Too many city lights to get a good look here. But I've seen it at my folks' house and it's worth staying up for.

AnnieF
August 13th, 2015, 05:29 PM
We had too much ambient light in our neighborhood but are considering going out to the lake tonight to try it. It's a matter of whether we'll still feel like doing it at midnight....

bec
August 13th, 2015, 05:58 PM
We didn't see a single one. I think we have too much ambient light from Louisville and outside lights from surrounding homes. We are surrounded by trees as well, so it's hard to get a wide view of the sky.

Midge
August 13th, 2015, 07:46 PM
Too many lights in the city, and some clouds as well. Caught a few glimpses, but overall it was disappointing.

SuzyQue
August 13th, 2015, 08:48 PM
I was out viewing on Wednesday with a family that had never seen them. It was fun and brought back many happy memories from my own kiddos experiences. This was an annual event with pj's on our trampoline. Ahhhhhhh!

pcbatiks
August 13th, 2015, 09:25 PM
I forgot to look last night.......our dog woke me up early and I forgot. Maybe tonight!

Ginny B
August 13th, 2015, 10:31 PM
We went out about 3:15 and even though we had a lot of light from street lamps and some work crews doing night work on a main street not too far from us, we did get to see a few streaking across the sky.

I need to go to work tomorrow so we won't be heading out to view it tonight. It was cool to see a few anyway.

Carlie Wolf
August 14th, 2015, 12:52 AM
Checked it out a little while ago. Bummer, I could only see two of the bigger stars so the night isn't clear enough :-(

I use to watch them from my property up in Canada. It was amazing since we could see so many stars. The longer we sat out the more you could see.

K. McEuen
August 14th, 2015, 01:29 AM
We have so much light pollution here in town I doubt I could see any. It's amazing when I go camping just how many stars are in the sky.

Lightwriter
August 14th, 2015, 04:12 AM
Saw 9 in a hour...not as many as I had hoped, but peaceful to sit there and visit with the stars. Wrapped up in my couch quilt I made, I contemplated life, the beauty of creation and the majesty of our Creator.

rebeccas-sewing
August 14th, 2015, 05:04 AM
Best place would probably be the desert.