PDA

View Full Version : Remember the law suit about hot coffee at McDonalds? This is crazier!

BobW
August 13th, 2015, 12:56 AM

Missouri may soon have its own version of the infamous Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants hot-coffee lawsuit.

Lambert's Cafe, the Sikeston-based restaurant chain proudly known as the "Home of Throwed Rolls," featuring servers who lob dinner rolls across the dining hall to guests, is being sued for a roll-related injury.

The suit was filed yesterday against the Sikeston restaurant by the Meehan Law Firm in St. Louis on behalf of a guy named Troy Tucker. Tucker claims he "sustained a lacerated cornea with a vitreous detachment and all head, neck, eyes and vision were severely damaged" after being hit by a roll during a September 2014 visit.

The practice of throwing rolls is deemed a "defective condition" of Lambert's, and the suit claims that the restaurant knew (or should have known) about the danger of this practice.

Tucker now seeks an award of at least $25,000 to pay for his medical bills and legal fees. The restaurant's "carelessness and negligence" has already caused expenses totaling $10,000, the suit alleges, and who knows what future medical costs may emerge from the assault of the freshly baked bread.

But we have to wonder how much of a case Tucker has. After all, in June, the Kansas City Royals and their mascot were deemed not to have been at fault after a thrown hot dog hit a man in the face and tore his retina. In that case the "baseball rule" was referenced, and the jury found that the man assumed some responsibility for personal awareness by entering a baseball stadium.

Might the "throwed roll rule" become established legal precedent? After all, "Home of Throwed Rolls" is plastered on massive billboards all over the state. Shouldn't diners at Lambert's be responsible for some level of situational awareness when entering the restaurant?

And if not, does that mean the end to throwed rolls in Missouri? What kind of country are we living in when a restaurant can't toss a freshly baked dinner roll at a man's head?

Copied from Blogs.Riverfronttimes.com by Johnny Fugitt
************************************************** ********************************************

OMG, REALLY ? ? ? Tell me this is a joke posting, PLEASE! I have arthritis, I'm Morbidly Obese and walk with a cane and I can catch the rolls. OK, ok, I know throw a fresh baked yeast roll and see a fat man leap dining tables with the grace of a ballet dancer to catch it, but again I just have to ask, REALLY ? ? ? Like the story says there are signs all over the state of Missouri advertising that Lamberts throws the rolls. I'd be so ashamed that a little ole yeast roll could do that much damage to me I couldn't show my face in public. And shame on the attorney for taking the case when the courts are so overwhelmed with real legal matters. Just my humble opinion.

Hulamoon
August 13th, 2015, 01:01 AM
Oh brother. How stupid. Think up another way to make money, Sell your crap on Ebay or something.

Angelia
August 13th, 2015, 01:04 AM
I do not like Lambert's because of the throwed rolls. The times I have been there, I politely requested that the rolls be brought to the table by the server, rather than hurled at me. I can't imagine they would hurt, though.

K. McEuen
August 13th, 2015, 01:31 AM
You do realize that the McD's coffee incident happened here, right? That lady was an idiot. She stuck the cup of coffee between her legs and removed the cover, all while driving away from the drive-up window. Yes, she got burned. It's coffee, it is supposed to be hot and it doesn't really take a huge amount of brains to know better than to stick and open cup of coffee by your delicate parts. Or I guess in some instances it does.

quiltsRfun
August 13th, 2015, 01:49 AM
You do realize that the McD's coffee incident happened here, right? That lady was an idiot. She stuck the cup of coffee between her legs and removed the cover, all while driving away from the drive-up window. Yes, she got burned. It's coffee, it is supposed to be hot and it doesn't really take a huge amount of brains to know better than to stick and open cup of coffee by your delicate parts. Or I guess in some instances it does.

You might want to read this before passing judgment.
The Actual Facts about the Mcdonalds' Coffee Case (http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm)

K. McEuen
August 13th, 2015, 02:04 AM
You might want to read this before passing judgment.
The Actual Facts about the Mcdonalds' Coffee Case (http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm)

I still hold my opinion that someone that knowingly sticks a pliable styrofoam cup of hot coffee between their legs is not the brightest.

Bjvarizona
August 13th, 2015, 02:27 AM
I'm with you boB, but sadly this is probably actually happening!

TMP
August 13th, 2015, 02:55 AM
This is just silly. I can't believe its true. We eat at Lamberts in Foley , Alabama every time we go to Gulf Shores. Part of the charm is the roll throwing. ( they are really good rolls ). What are they going to make them do? Post a sign at the door Beware rolls being thrown. I mean gee its a yeast roll.

rebeccas-sewing
August 13th, 2015, 04:21 AM
I thought you were playing a joke on us, Bob. What I find so hard to believe, is that much damage being caused by a flying roll. There goes all the fun.

dwil23
August 13th, 2015, 05:06 AM
I do not like Lambert's because of the throwed rolls. The times I have been there, I politely requested that the rolls be brought to the table by the server, rather than hurled at me. I can't imagine they would hurt, though.

And that's the way it should be! I have never seen throwed rolls, but if it bothered me, I would either do what you did or just not go there. Period. Everyone is sue happy and looking for a way to make a buck.

Vonnie
August 13th, 2015, 05:27 AM
The only way one of those rolls would hurt is if they were stale and those rolls are fresh. I have only been to a Lamberts one time and I did not like catching the rolls because if you are not careful, you will squish the roll in your hand when you catch it.

YellowCockatiel
August 13th, 2015, 08:43 AM
And that's the way it should be! I have never seen throwed rolls, but if it bothered me, I would either do what you did or just not go there. Period. Everyone is sue happy and looking for a way to make a buck.

I agree with dwil23; 100%!

BobW
August 13th, 2015, 10:03 AM
Well, I appreciate you guys for no fat man jokes with the yeast rolls. I have eaten a number of times at both the Missouri Lamberts restaurants. (And if you aren't fat going in you will put some weight on while you are there, for those who have never been to a Lamberts, think good old fashioned artery clogging home cooking served in what my grandmother used to "Harvest Hand" portion servings.

I guess now you will have to sign a "Hold Harmless" agreement to gain access and then only get seated at a table after properly and securely putting on your protective body armor.

I'd probably sue Lamberts for not throwing me a roll.

Sandy Navas
August 13th, 2015, 10:40 AM
https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/top-ten-frivolous-lawsuits

A favorite quote from my Dad: "YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID."

KPH
August 13th, 2015, 10:57 AM
Have mercy! Pass me a roll, please. I'll put the hot coffee in the cup holder, and promise not to try to do anything stupid today.

Genny
August 13th, 2015, 11:06 AM

LOL...maybe if a baseball player was throwing them...lol...but all kidding aside, I've been there and they have the best rolls ever! I cannot catch anything so my husband always caught them for me.

BobW
August 13th, 2015, 11:47 AM
Have mercy! Pass me a roll, please. I'll put the hot coffee in the cup holder, and promise not to try to do anything stupid today.

There is always one in every crowd! LOL

Claire OneStitchAtATime
August 13th, 2015, 12:52 PM
I have seen the billboards many times, but had no idea what a "throwed roll" was. Some sort of rising process, I thought, maybe -- you know, yeasted roll, sourdough roll, throwed roll ....
So, boB, you have enlightened me! But why not "thrown roll"? Is it Missouri dialect? I've lived in MO for 15 years but I'm not from around these parts, as you can tell!

BobW
August 13th, 2015, 01:04 PM
I have seen the billboards many times, but had no idea what a "throwed roll" was. Some sort of rising process, I thought, maybe -- you know, yeasted roll, sourdough roll, throwed roll ....
So, boB, you have enlightened me! But why not "thrown roll"? Is it Missouri dialect? I've lived in MO for 15 years but I'm not from around these parts, as you can tell!

It's Missouri Hillbilly dialect. LOL

asta
August 13th, 2015, 01:09 PM
So, DD and I will be coming to the Forum Retreat next month, traveling from WI, is there a Lambert's any where we could stop? DD would love the place-she always wanted to throw rolls at the Thanksgiving table when she was young (old too I guess).

auntiemern
August 13th, 2015, 01:41 PM
As a HUGE fan of Lamberts, I really don't think this will go anywhere. Considering the knowledge that they throw rolls, is advertised and written all over the place, one must expect that rolls will be thrown, and thereby making the person aware of the possibility that a roll will be thrown in his direction,the minute he set foot in the dining room. IMO

Sandy Navas
August 13th, 2015, 03:32 PM
So, DD and I will be coming to the Forum Retreat next month, traveling from WI, is there a Lambert's any where we could stop? DD would love the place-she always wanted to throw rolls at the Thanksgiving table when she was young (old too I guess).''

May I call you (p)asta? I'm still giggling over that typo . . .

There are three Lambert's locations, but the two in Missouri aren't close to Hamilton. (One is about 215 miles directly south, the other southeast of Hamilton, about 380 miles). The third one is in Alabama.