PDA

View Full Version : Another Night of Owling

kimsophia
August 12th, 2015, 01:40 AM
Hoot hoot! Hello, conscious humans! How are you? Let us know.

I am working on my Kaffe quilt. I am doing the zig zag blocks which are easier straight lines, although back and forth. I am drawing lines on the pebbled half of the blocks which I will hopefully quilt tonight.

So what's up with you?

shawnan
August 12th, 2015, 01:59 AM
Going to have to head to bed early (for me) tonight as I have to get up in the morning to get my Mom to the dermatologist. His office is in Cheyenne, which is two hours from her house. I'd let her drive herself, but she's 90.

I've been busy with doctor appointments for myself, so not much sewing going on. I've got a class at my LQS on Saturday that I am excited for it. Good thing I'm never in a hurry to get things done.

Nancy

sewlucky
August 12th, 2015, 01:59 AM
It is hot hot hot here! And I think just the tiniest breeze beginning to make it's way in - may not be sleeping for awhile yet.

I finally got off the couch and got busy on hubby's quilt. I don't know if he's seen it yet, or if it is hiding in plain sight. Either way, I'm not too worried. I made a test row with the arrows on the VW bug fabric and it turned out just fine. Advice from the fine ladies in the forum here, and my momma, along with my own eye says it is good with the arrow! Dear son did a wheelchair basketball demo tonight and when we got home I went into my sewing room and got the rest of the fabric strips cut for the other 9 rows. Tomorrow I will do the sub-cutting of the strips, I was just hot and tired tonight. Man do I love my Stripology ruler!! Sure makes cutting go quick!

I am back volunteering at FIBA Americas Women's Championships again tomorrow and Thursday all day with dear son. We are really enjoying the basketball, and decided tonight to buy tickets for the Bronze and Gold medal games that take place on Sunday. Team Canada was golden at the PanAm games in Toronto a few weeks ago, and we can see why. They are very strong and dynamic to watch. Our Team Canada men's and women's wheelchair basketball teams are undefeated this week at the ParaPanAm's in Toronto. Its been an exciting week!

I hope it cools off tomorrow a bit, and then I will work on my quilt again in the evening. Maybe I won't get much done until Friday, but that's ok. Hubby and our two sons are spending Saturday together at a golf tournament for work, so I will have lots of time to get the thing quilted if I can get the top done by the end of the day on Friday!

That's about it for me!

Terri

toggpine
August 12th, 2015, 02:01 AM
I'm supposed to be working on the jeans for recovering the teacher's lounge chairs. Instead, I'm poking around on the internet.
I think I should really get on with that.

Hugs, Cathy

Hulamoon
August 12th, 2015, 02:12 AM
Nothing much, it's to hot here too. I prepped my turkey meatloaf. It takes awhile because it has chopped mushrooms, onions and garlic. I started to late, so will finish in the morning, I'm just going to veg out and do dishes inbetween commercials and watching Leah Day's class. No wonder I can't sleep. Over tasking.

bubba
August 12th, 2015, 02:14 AM
I told MM there was something stinky in the backyard. MM says he smells nothing.....he can't hardly hear either, but that's another story.

He left for work and put Yoda out for a bit. I just let him back in. He smells like whatever it is I am smelling and I suspect it is something dead under the kitchen.

Woe is me......

Midge
August 12th, 2015, 02:19 AM
Whooooo! One tired but sleepless night owl tonight. Went to the Indians game, start of a series with the Yankees. Went 16 innings! OMG. It was one of those times when we all wanted to leave but no one really really wanted to leave, so we stayed. Worth it in the end though, won 5-4. It was a quiet ride on the way home. So no quilting today. It's not been too hot here. Worked out in the garden today without even sweating. And more of the same tomorrow.

I got my new machine, a Juki TL 2010Q. Love, love it so far. My goal is to learn to FMQ this year, so I have been practicing the basic moves. Just with practice sandwiches. I wanted a J name for a Juki, and he seemed like a guy, so I think of him as Jack Flash. Quite the machine, so I've got to live up to it now and get some FMQ skills!

Well definitely time to try to get some sleep now.

kimsophia, what pattern are you making with your Kaffe fabrics? I've been collecting some and I picked up Julie Herman's Glimmer pattern. Thinking of the Kaffe fabrics for that - mainly blues.

bubba
August 12th, 2015, 02:23 AM
My Juki is named Jack as well! His sister is Jill, but they are not identical twins.

Hulamoon
August 12th, 2015, 02:26 AM
I told MM there was something stinky in the backyard. MM says he smells nothing.....he can't hardly hear either, but that's another story.

He left for work and put Yoda out for a bit. I just let him back in. He smells like whatever it is I am smelling and I suspect it is something dead under the kitchen.

Woe is me......

Wanna hear something gross? A rooster died in the yard. I went to see how he was doing just before. Dh came out with the riding lawn mower a few day's later and I thought he would pick it up. He ran over it! I just don't know what to say but idiot.

jjkaiser
August 12th, 2015, 02:32 AM
Hello everyone, Just got home from work. Hmmm choices here do I wash dishes piled up in the sink? DH is quite the cook, on nights when I work I swear he tries to dirty up every pan I own, grrrr! I don't really feel like doing housewrk after working 8 hrs, but then I will hate myself in the morning facing that messed up kitchen. So here I am on the forum, again, something I am good at, procrastinating!! I have an unfinished quilt in a wicker basket about one foot away from my comfy chair here, but I don't usually quilt after midnight...or I could open up a nice bottle of chardonnay and watch some House Hunters I have DVRd--yes I think that is exactly what I feel like doing. And those dishes, oh well, they will get washed eventually, they always do! And this is what's happening in my corner of the world. Now I am off to find the corkscrew...

kimsophia
August 12th, 2015, 02:44 AM
kimsophia, what pattern are you making with your Kaffe fabrics? I've been collecting some and I picked up Julie Herman's Glimmer pattern. Thinking of the Kaffe fabrics for that - mainly blues.

It's called Cayenne and it is from his book "Quilts in Morocco" and the directions are WRONG so be sure to look up the corrections first before you cut it out wrong like I did. Not that I'm bitter or anything! lol

Here's a link to a photo of it: kimsophia (Kim Edge) - DeviantArt (http://kimsophia.deviantart.com/)

That baseball game sounds amazing and glad you won after all those extra innings. And is Jack Flash jumpin' and a gas gas gas? :D

Sewlucky, I tried to watch that game your son was going to be featured at halftime but I didn't have the right carrier so it wouldn't allow me. But good luck to the Canadian teams!

My bursitis is hurting already and I haven't even started sewing. Guess I'll take an Advil and play some freecycle solitaire until it feels better...

sewlucky
August 12th, 2015, 02:53 AM
Oh boy, do I love your Kaffe FAssett quilt kim!!

See if you can see this link to the video my friend made while she watched it on tv. My son is #14...watch quick...its a 10 or 20 second clip is all that showed up on tv really (typical! LOL) The effort was well worth it though, as the stands were packed and this is with mainly local fans from our city I would imagine. We have our club home base at the facility where the FIBA Americas are being hosted.
https://www.facebook.com/leslie.strattonbilan/videos/vb.596120800/10153448577735801/?type=2&theater

kimsophia
August 12th, 2015, 03:11 AM
Oh boy, do I love your Kaffe FAssett quilt kim!!

See if you can see this link to the video my friend made while she watched it on tv. My son is #14...watch quick...its a 10 or 20 second clip is all that showed up on tv really (typical! LOL) The effort was well worth it though, as the stands were packed and this is with mainly local fans from our city I would imagine. We have our club home base at the facility where the FIBA Americas are being hosted.
https://www.facebook.com/leslie.strattonbilan/videos/vb.596120800/10153448577735801/?type=2&theater

Oh yeah, I saw him! :D

Andrea F
August 12th, 2015, 03:31 AM
Good morning! It's busy in the tree today :D

Terri, I saw your son, too! My sons played basketball when they were kids, but DS#1 wasn't good and DS#2 was too short. I liked it, though. Basketball was way more fun than soccer. All the little boys tend to play soccer here but I didn't want to spend four days a week at the soccer field.
Kimsophia, I love your quilt. It's sooo pretty! Those fabrics are a dream.
Midge, congrats on your new machine. It must be a joy to sew with it. It's on my wishlist but I guess it will take a while until I get another machine in that price range.

Not much going on here. Work all day and it's probably going to be a very long day. I have tons of work piled up at the office. I thought I could do a fairly long day today and another one on Friday (tomorrow is Tobi's first school day which means I'll work Friday instead of tomorrow), but I forgot that my BFF is coming to visit. She's going to stay at another friend of hers (that's probably why I forgot) but we want to meet on Friday and have a barbecue if the weather holds and visit a photo exhibition on Saturday and maybe have dinner at the vegan burger place we all love so much after that.

Have a good night and a wonderful day tomorrow!

Midge
August 12th, 2015, 04:01 AM
What a collection of stories tonight! Yuck to the smell of dead animals under the house! Bigger yuck to sliced and diced dead roosters in the yard! But a huge yay for the Canadians and I hope they go far in the tournament. It's been a long while since my son was in school - but I fondly remember the days of attending all the games. He was quite tall but not very interested in basketball. He was mad for lacrosse, so that's the direction he went in. Rough game.

kim - your Kaffe quilt is gorgeous. I don't have that book you got the pattern from. I did just pick up his new book Heritage Quilts. It's got some lovely things in it, but not sure I am going to make one of them any time soon.

Hope I can sleep soon. The dog doesn't really care about excuses in the morning. He just wants his walk.

Lightwriter
August 12th, 2015, 04:25 AM
Busy today out in the country...a load of tomatoes came in at once. I had not planned to can any, but can't stand to waste good food. Now I have a total of 21 cans and accidentally burned finger tips. Ouchie! I am such a klutz sometimes, but it's been a long time since I had blisters. Soaked it in cool tea for quite awhile and wrapped on gauze to help oxygen from getting to it. There went the rest of the afternoon. Lucky I put a beef stew in the crockpot (soft for DH's mouth, which is slowly improving) early in the day.

I hope to get to sew today...really need to finsh I Spy quilt because the baby was born yesterday. Oh well. As hot as it is I think I am still good for a couple of weeks! I thought I had embroidered enough monsters, but actually need two more. My thread came in so I have lots of colors to play with. If Ella B continues to behave I should be able to do them in about an hour. Then to put the quilt together. I am getting impatient to see this come together.

Think cool thoughts and have a good day!

kimsophia
August 12th, 2015, 06:34 AM
Owie, burns are so bad! :(

I got a row of zig zags done but then I looked at the previous night's work and decided to re-sew a couple of places, so have been picking those threads out. I do think it will look nice when it's done.

I put my sewing machine on the ironing board which I lowered a couple of inches below the table and it seems to be working well for seeing what I'm doing and putting less strain on my elbows. :) The ironing board isn't wobbling because it (the sewing machine) comes with an extension table that I've got butted up against the table edge and that gives it stability.

laura44
August 12th, 2015, 06:43 AM
Can't sleep, back hurts from moving furniture and painting doors and trim.
Laying on the couch with a heating pad, listening to hubby snore.
Thank God for this Forum.

kimsophia
August 12th, 2015, 06:49 AM
Isn't it a nice forum? :)

bubba
August 12th, 2015, 06:54 AM
I can't sleep either!! Just got up and took 1/2 a sleep aid. Remember that commercial.....take sominex tonight and sleeeeeeep.....nice and peaceful sleep sleep sleep! I need me some sominex!

kimsophia
August 12th, 2015, 07:31 AM
Sominex jingle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUupnvWbcFw

sewlucky
August 12th, 2015, 03:35 PM
I don't think any of us was having an easy time sleeping last night. I was laying in my bed at 4:14am looking at the clock and feeling ill with a headache. Finally got up and took meds and was sleeping by 5 I guess. Staying home today, still groggy from the headache.

Terri